ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Press Conference to introduce Mick Taylor as the new Rolling Stone
Hyde Park, London June 13, 1969

Photo by Peter Stone
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN MACLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Unwritten rules Return to archive
07-09-02 06:40 AM
TT If you grow up with a band you build your own opinion on how this band does tours, setlists, shows etc. You have these "unwritten rules" in mind.

I always had these unwritten rules in mind concerning the Stones:

* Tour the US until the end of December! Then the rest of the world. (broken 1997/98) These days it�s "here, there, ev�rywhere and back again".

* Never open a show with the same song which was used as an opener for another tour! (broken on NS tour 1999: JJF) I don�t like that. They have dozens of good rocking tracks to open with.

* Let sponsoring keep the ticket prices down! (said Keith 1982)Since the 90s it�s: Let sponsoring push the ticket prices up!

* Never open with your biggest hit (a.k.a. The Who My Generation syndrom)!(broken 1997/1998: Satisfaction)

* Always do only one encore! There�s nothing left to say after JJF!! Then leave in your black limousine! (broken 1997: two encores)

* Never let the side musicians play a more important role than the band itself! (broken since 1989)

* Always tour to promote a new album with new songs! You are creative artists and no fucking oldieparty band! (broken for the first time 2002)

* No solo material on band tours! (not broken yet)

This is what I always thoght about the Stones. Any more unwritten rules out of your heads? (only topic related answers required)

07-09-02 06:43 AM
stonedinaustralia TT we're talking about music goddammit...there are no rules or if there are they are made to be broken!!
07-09-02 08:48 AM
Mathijs TT, I fully agree with your rules. But:

* Tour the US until the end of December! Then the rest of the world. (broken 1997/98) These days it�s "here, there, ev�rywhere and back again".

This one was broken already in 1978: no European tour!

* Never open a show with the same song which was used as an opener for another tour! (broken on NS tour 1999: JJF)

Broken in 1971: they opened with Jumping Jack Flash, as they did in 1969 and 1970.

* Never open with your biggest hit (a.k.a. The Who My Generation syndrom)!(broken 1997/1998: Satisfaction)

This one's broken in 1976 when they opened with Satisfaction on KNebworth (but that wasn't a tour really).

* Never let the side musicians play a more important role than the band itself! (broken since 1989)

* Always tour to promote a new album with new songs! You are creative artists and no fucking oldieparty band! (broken for the first time 2002)

This was broken in 1975, when they toured without a new album.

* No solo material on band tours! (not broken yet)
This one's broken in 1975, when Keith and Ronnie performed Sure The One You Need at least three times.

I would like to add some major rules: stop touring if you can't perform anymore without at least 10 backing musicians.
Stop performing when after ruling the Rock and Roll world for 30 years you are slowly becoming the joke of the business. Stop performing when there's only 3 original members left, and the fourth member is mostly too drunk to even know what's hanging in front of him.

Mathijs
07-09-02 01:05 PM
st0nesfan I believe the Stones played another solo song on tour when they covered something off of Bill's Monkey Grip album, although the song and year escape me. Perhaps those wiser than I can remedy this.
07-09-02 01:26 PM
Joey In life , there is but one rule :

" Money go forth and all doors open ! "

-- Shakespeare 1675

07-09-02 02:10 PM
Jaxx LOL. interesting "book of rules". i have to agree with sia. this is music.

but if i were in a position to "impose" rules on a stones concert i would have one rule: go out there and jam. no setlist formula. it just bums me out that with all the tunes the stones have composed over the years that they can't just have a more "freeform" format to their setlist. the shows are tight and well practised, yes. but, i would love the anticipation of wondering "what will they play tonight"? then watch them throw some rare gems our way in between the new songs and hot rocks.

now there's a fantasy to get your rocks off!

07-09-02 03:38 PM
Gazza St0nesfan : theyve never performed any of Bill's songs in concert. As Mathijs points out,"Sure the one you need" is to this date the only solo song played at a Rolling Stones concert (twice in '75). technically speaking,its not even a solo song as Woody wasnt even officially a band member at the time but a "guest" side musician. From what I remember,Keith actually sang lead on this track in concert. (similarly,Billy Preston also performed two of his own tracks at every show in 1975-76)

Mathijs : Good point about the 75 tour not being in support of a new studio album,but I think technically (that word again!)they were touring behind "IORR" which had been released 8 months earlier (I guess the fact that unlike most Stones albums it was released so late in the year meant it was more sensible to wait a few months to go on the road plus the fact that they had to recruit a second guitarist for the tour). I guess you could say the "No Security" tour wasnt really supporting a new album,although its really just an extension of the BTB tour
07-09-02 04:08 PM
Scottfree Good points by all, I agree with nearly all of them (I'm very agreeable), the one that I lean towards the most has to be Jaxx. I have stated this for years, how about some off the cuff?
07-09-02 05:35 PM
TT The Stones don�t follow any rules. I know.

But I was speaking of rules I gathered in MY mind over the years of being alone with my thoughts (20 to be exact).
07-09-02 05:38 PM
TT And what about this one:

* Play a new cover version on every tour. The people love it. Don�t take a cover version from tour to tour. There are loads of others to be covered instead. (LIKE A BORING STONE)
07-09-02 09:58 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! Yes, The Stones DO follow rules. If they didn't, they would not be handing us the same show over and over, night after night. They want to be professional and all of that crap, but they compromise the music way too much. I can see them sticking to the same set list (somewhat) in the early tours, but after you've been around as long as they have and with such a large body of work, why do they feel the need to have the show so precise? It's all about the music, but sometimes I believe it's more about image, money and what the critics think. At this point in their careers why should they give a flying fuck what the critics and the weekend fans think about how tight the show is. This is Rock'n Roll and it should be played for the moment. Just like in their bar days it was more spontaneous and the energy level was great. Lets just hope this tour they give it to US, the real fans. A different show each night is the only way they are going to gain respect from the critics for sure, but more importantly from US the die-hards!
07-10-02 06:49 AM
stonedinaustralia TT your thought re covers gave me pause to think... not to lay down any rules but i wish the stones would keep up with their intepretations of mowtown...instead of "like a rolling stone" they should have done papa was one...

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road