ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

AWD Arena, Hannover - 19th July 2006
© AHannoversche Allgemeine Zeitung thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: post 1980 stones hypothetical question Return to archive
15th July 2006 05:48 PM
Lethargy Here's my pointless, Stones-obsessed, boredom-induced hypothetical question for you all that's impossible to answer but still fun to try:

If The Rolling Stones debut album was Tattoo You, meaning that there was nothing else from the Not Fade Away single through Emotional Rescue, would they still be one of your favorite bands. No Beggars, no Let It Bleed, no Fingers, no Exile, no Goats, no some Girls, etc. A band whose only output is Tattoo You, Undercover, Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges To Babylon, and Bigger Bang.

This means when you saw them live, it would be something like:

Start Me Up
You Got Me Rocking
Oh No Not You Again
Flip The Switch
Already Over Me
Rough Justice
Harlem Shuffle
One Hit To The Body
Undercover
Rain Fall Down
(keith - let's make it 3 songs for fun)
Slipping Away
The Worst
Little T&A
(small stage)
Back Of My Hand
Love Is Strong
Black Limousine
(back to main stage)
Mixed Emotions
Rough Justice
Sad Sad Sad
Out Of Control
(encore)
One Hit To The Body

I, for one, would still dig them, and I honestly think they'd still be in my Top Ten. This is a set of seven albums with lots of great material, lots of mediocre and inferior material, but hey, it's still damn impressive.

Some on, admit it, most of you would still like the boyz. They'd be heralded as the keepers of the flame of classic rock or some such schmaltz, but Mick would still be Mick, Keith would still be Keith, etc.
15th July 2006 06:16 PM
Gazza Yep. absolutely

Theres a lot of fine (and sometimes great) work in the post-Some Girls catalogue, thats unjustly overlooked (including by the Stones themselves when it comes to playing them in concert) because it has to suffer in comparison to the majestic output from the earlier part of their career

I would have absolutely no problem whatsoever going to a Stones concert and hearing nothing from before 1980. There's still more than enough quality there for a first rate show on any given night
15th July 2006 06:22 PM
pdog No, not even close! I still may have enjoyed the music. One thing you must remember, especially in regards to Tatoo You, those songs were being worked on for years. Also their age, no one breaks into music like that in their 30's... Even if you suspend all disbeleif of those things, I was into The Stones long before Tatoo You, and if nothing had existed before, the material wouldn't have been as accessible...
That album, on it's own in 1981, sure it would've been successful musically, but it was what was behind it as well that made it so appealing!
15th July 2006 07:03 PM
Paranoid_Android It just all goes back to whether they should dump (or at least rotate) a few warhorses and sub with fresher, newer, or rarely done stuff...old or new.

personally...I would not care if I NEVER heard them play SMU again...and stopped playing Satisfaction, JJF, YCAGWYW...and pulled them out as a rare gem.

But to answer the original question...probobly not...they would most likely have had a tough time renewing the first contract after the standard 3 to 4 album deal.
[Edited by Paranoid_Android]
15th July 2006 08:14 PM
Chuck Hell no.
15th July 2006 08:26 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
This means when you saw them live, it would be something like:

Start Me Up
You Got Me Rocking
Oh No Not You Again
Flip The Switch
Already Over Me
Rough Justice
Harlem Shuffle
One Hit To The Body
Undercover
Rain Fall Down
Slipping Away
The Worst
Little T&A
(small stage)
Back Of My Hand
Love Is Strong
Black Limousine
(back to main stage)
Mixed Emotions
Rough Justice
Sad Sad Sad
Out Of Control
(encore)
One Hit To The Body

any show with One Hit (to the body) in the set list is cool.
But TWICE is awesome!!!

playing Rough Justice more than once in a set is kinda silly though.

SMU, RFD, Harlem and Sad Sad Sad blow. But all those other songs are songs I'd LOVE to hear live at ANY show!
15th July 2006 10:07 PM
Lethargy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

any show with One Hit (to the body) in the set list is cool.
But TWICE is awesome!!!

playing Rough Justice more than once in a set is kinda silly though.

SMU, RFD, Harlem and Sad Sad Sad blow. But all those other songs are songs I'd LOVE to hear live at ANY show!

What are you, my editor? Or my Bitch?

16th July 2006 04:45 AM
pdog
quote:
Lethargy wrote:

Make an offer I'll get you the 2 for 1 deal!
16th July 2006 07:01 AM
corgi37 Well, i'd probably like them a bit, but they would be sooooooo 80's.
16th July 2006 11:28 AM
FrankiePeppers I would like them alot but they wouldn't have the mystique behind them. Post '81 Stones would have to drop down a few pegs and I would elevate The Who to #1
16th July 2006 05:24 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
Start Me Up
You Got Me Rocking
Oh No Not You Again
Flip The Switch
Already Over Me
Rough Justice
Harlem Shuffle
One Hit To The Body
Undercover
Rain Fall Down
Slipping Away
The Worst
Little T&A
(small stage)
Back Of My Hand
Love Is Strong
Black Limousine
(back to main stage)
Mixed Emotions
Rough Justice
Sad Sad Sad
Out Of Control
(encore)
One Hit To The Body

It looks strange, I can't imagine a Stones show without 70's stuff.
17th July 2006 01:34 AM
Egbert TY, Undercover, & B2B would be my favorite Stones albums instead of LIB, SF, & EOMS.

Hhhmmmm....
17th July 2006 08:07 AM
corgi37 I probably would have ditched them for THE CULT after Dirty Work.
17th July 2006 09:15 AM
M.O.W.A.T. Substitute Sad Sad Sad and Flip The Switch with Worried About You and Neighbours, and you've got yourself one hell of a show!
17th July 2006 10:33 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Lethargy wrote:

the mere mention of Bitch or any other tune from Sticky Fingers in this thread makes me weep
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)