ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

AWD Arena, Hannover - 19th July 2006
© AHannoversche Allgemeine Zeitung thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ray Davies In SF Return to archive
14th July 2006 04:10 PM
pdog Very, very good. Took the 14 year old offspring. She thought it was pretty good. Unfortunately she is 5 foot and maybe an inch... Poor kid mostly say the backs of peoples heads.
Ray did the sing I remembered most from seeing The Kinks in the early 80's. He can really work a crowd. The aud. singing along was great... No Lola, i was surprised, I thought it was a setlist mainstay... I've heard it a million times, I wanted my kid to see it performed...
Now my kid saw a living legend, my parenting skills are through the roof. I'm taking my 5 year old to the ballgame tonight.
Why do I not have father of the motherfucking year awards all over the place?
My children...

14th July 2006 04:58 PM
monkey_man No Lola . . . that is surprising. . . .he played it the last time he came thru town. I was supposed to be at the show last night but have been sicker than hell. It's keeping me from the Sonic Youth show tonight too. What was the setlist like last night?
14th July 2006 05:02 PM
pdog
quote:
monkey_man wrote:
No Lola . . . that is surprising. . . .he played it the last time he came thru town. I was supposed to be at the show last night but have been sicker than hell. It's keeping me from the Sonic Youth show tonight too. What was the setlist like last night?

Is tonight Pearl Jam? Sonic youth opening up? I'm so out of the loop. Actually, I don't even know if it's called the loop anymore...

Alot of the new stuff was played... He did a great version of Apeman... He played around with You Really Got, and started out on an acoustic getting everyone pumped up for it, then they went it to it... I'm not good with remembering setlists at all. I'll see if I can did something up on the web... His setlists are varying alot from night to night!
[Edited by pdog]
14th July 2006 05:03 PM
SheRat
quote:
pdog wrote:
Very, very good. Took the 14 year old offspring. She thought it was pretty good. Unfortunately she is 5 foot and maybe an inch... Poor kid mostly say the backs of peoples heads.
Ray did the sing I remembered most from seeing The Kinks in the early 80's. He can really work a crowd. The aud. singing along was great... No Lola, i was surprised, I thought it was a setlist mainstay... I've heard it a million times, I wanted my kid to see it performed...
Now my kid saw a living legend, my parenting skills are through the roof. I'm taking my 5 year old to the ballgame tonight.
Why do I not have father of the motherfucking year awards all over the place?
My children...

Dude, Tyler totally looks like L, and Trevor, you can tell, is going to look like you.
14th July 2006 05:07 PM
monkey_man
quote:
pdog wrote:

Is tonight Pearl Jam? Sonic youth opening up? I'm so out of the loop. Actually, I don't even know if it's called the loop anymore...

Alot of the new stuff was played... He did a great version of Apeman... He played around with You Really Got, and started out on an acoustic getting everyone pumped up for it, then they went it to it... I'm not good with remembering setlists at all. I'll see if I can did something up on the web... His setlists are varying alot from night to night!
[Edited by pdog]

Sonic Youth is headlining at the Fillmore tonight. . . I'm sure members of Pearl Jam will be at their show. I think Pearl Jam's run of shows at the Civic start tomorrow.
[Edited by monkey_man]
14th July 2006 05:08 PM
pdog
quote:
SheRat wrote:

Dude, Tyler totally looks like L, and Trevor, you can tell, is going to look like you.

I've been told Zoie looks like a female version of me... She doesn't look alot like her mom... They both are blondes, Ugh!
I must say, I'm very blessed to have these kids! When the time comes for you, I may be a bit geeky in my excitement for you, it really is that cool. Hard work, but so cool.
Ray davies one night, Giants game the next... i'm tired, but this is exactly how I dreamed it would be!
14th July 2006 05:17 PM
monkey_man Posted on Fri, Jul. 14, 2006

CONCERT REVIEW

Kinks' Ray Davies shows he still really got it

By Tony Hicks
CONTRA COSTA TIMES

Even as Ray Davies blasted through a jumpy version of "Where Have All the Good Times Gone," at the Warfield on Thursday night, one couldn't help but wonder where Davies had gone the past couple decades.

Outside of making the news a couple years ago for getting shot in the leg while trying to corral a purse-snatcher in his adopted hometown of New Orleans, Davies looked like he'd eased into retirement. If he's been missing, it certainly wasn't because he couldn't rock anymore.

Surely one of rock's most underrated all-time greats, the former leader of the Kinks is back with solo record "Other People's Lives," and a tour this year. At 62, he still has plenty of energy, both on-stage and in his new material -- much of which he played Thursday, mixing well with Kinks' nuggets.

He brought his four-piece band out with "I'm Not Like Everybody Else," immediately showing off those big guitar chord dynamics he practically invented with the Kinks in the '60s. One thing's for sure, he still knows how to take a song down, with either his oddly reassuring voice or familiar guitar riffs, then bring it back up with some nasty crunch. Though this is not so true with his new stuff -- many of the songs reflect Davies' age and experience in taking big picture looks at life.

Still, his renditions of "Next Door Neighbour" and "Over My Head" both demonstrated that, even in a seemingly tame song, Davies can wield the live power of a guitar downstroke to his advantage. The same was true for "Creature of Little Faith," one of the evening's better new songs. He picked a band more than capable of understanding that Davies' composing strength lies in song structure as much as in the sardonic lyrics.

Though the crowd seemed perfectly happy with the new stuff, it was, predictably, the Kinks' material that got things rolling, with big sing-alongs for "Apeman," and "Sunny Afternoon."

In "Dead End Street," a nice country jam feel briefly rear its head, before falling back again. "Oklahoma U.S.A." was a nice change of pace, showing that Davies can still make the transition from blasting power chords to an almost acoustic Springsteen vibe, which moved nicely into the big sing-along of the Kinks classic "Celluloid Heroes."

It would've been nice for Davies to stay with some of the bigger Kinks' songs later in the set, when he had the crowd's devotion. Instead, he went back to the solo stuff with "The Tourist"; some of us were just dying to hear "Destroyer," which he didn't play.

But just as things lagged a bit, Davies brought the vibe back up where it belonged with some winning between-song chat. He talked about when he and Dave Davies, his brother, former bandmate and occasional on-stage adversary, started out when Dave was 16 "and I was something like 55," before playing "A Long Way From Home."

He also talked about Dave's reaction -- "what the (expletive) is that?" -- when he first heard "You Really Got Me," which Dave apparently changed from a blues song to perhaps the greatest power chord pop song of all-time. Ray laughed, all the while playing his bluesy version of the song near the end of Thursday's show.

It was as if he was showing he still has some rock 'n' roll defiance in him. Hopefully it'll keep him from taking another decade or two off.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15th July 2006 02:30 AM
Zack Fine looking family, Pdog. And what a fantastic experience to take your girl to see the great Ray D. Though it wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest, you are right that not hearing Lola is very unusual.

Looking at your pretty 14 year old frightens me. My daughter's almost 12 and the boys are going to start coming after soon. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle that. I think I'm going to have to use, to paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt, "baseball bat diplomacy."
15th July 2006 03:32 AM
pdog
quote:
Zack wrote:
I think I'm going to have to use, to paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt, "baseball bat diplomacy."

The best thing is, give her knowledge and love and all that , then get the baseball bat, but don't let her know, b/c they rebel so easy!
Oh god... Dude, we're so screwed... LOL!
15th July 2006 09:35 AM
Martha pdog...you got APEMAN! Lucky dog!

I didn't and I LOVE that song....always could relate to the sentiment.

Ray is mixing his sets up....and he certainly has enough songs to play several different sets anytime he wishes.

Glad you made it to the show.

Did you try to meet Ray afterwards?

BTW, Your daughter is gorgeous. :-)

"I don't want to live in this world no more
I don't want to die from nuclear war.
I want to sail away to some distant shore
And make like an apeman."

Indeed.

peace out,
MM
15th July 2006 11:35 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
pdog wrote:
My children...

They are beautiful kids. You are a lucky man indeed!
16th July 2006 05:33 PM
Bitch Father of the year pdog, your children are beautiful! I like the little chubby one, he's cute!

Too bad they didn't play Lola!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)