ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

AWD Arena, Hannover - 19th July 2006
© AHannoversche Allgemeine Zeitung thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RIP Syd Barrett Return to archive Page: 1 2
11th July 2006 10:00 AM
Gazza Pink Floyd's Barrett dies aged 60

Syd Barrett, one of the original members of legendary rock group Pink Floyd, has died at the age of 60, the band's spokeswoman has confirmed.
He was born Roger Barrett in Cambridge and met future bandmates Roger Waters and David Gilmour at school there.

The guitarist was invited to join Pink Floyd by Waters in 1965 but left three years later after only one album with his mental state affected by drugs.

"He died very peacefully a couple of days ago," said the spokeswoman.

"There will be a private family funeral."

He had suffered from diabetes in recent years and had not been recording music.

www.bbc.co.uk/news

[Edited by Gazza]
11th July 2006 10:04 AM
Honky Tonk Man RIP Sid Barrett.

I always though his version of the Floyd was far more interesting then the band they later became with Dave Gilmour.
11th July 2006 10:05 AM
Gazza apparently he died last Friday (7th)
11th July 2006 10:07 AM
jb Never heard of him...RIP.
11th July 2006 10:11 AM
not bound to please http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/artsandentertainment/story/0,,804958,00.html
11th July 2006 10:20 AM
Martha Sad news.

RIP Syd

peace,
MM

11th July 2006 10:25 AM
Gazza
quote:
not bound to please wrote:
http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/artsandentertainment/story/0,,804958,00.html

Nice article, if somewhat tragic. Good to see that he remained a Stones fan, though!
11th July 2006 10:25 AM
Stray Cat UK SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND
11th July 2006 10:26 AM
keefkid NEW YORK - People who took an illegal drug made from mushrooms reported profound mystical experiences that led to behavior changes lasting for weeks — all part of an experiment that recalls the psychedelic '60s.

Many of the 36 volunteers rated their reaction to a single dose of the drug, called psilocybin, as one of the most meaningful or spiritually significant experiences of their lives. Some compared it to the birth of a child or the death of a parent.

Such comments "just seemed unbelievable," said Roland Griffiths of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, the study's lead author.

But don't try this at home, he warned. "Absolutely don't."

Almost a third of the research participants found the drug experience frightening even in the very controlled setting. That suggests people experimenting with the illicit drug on their own could be harmed, Griffiths said.

Viewed by some as a landmark, the study is one of the few rigorous looks in the past 40 years at a hallucinogen's effects. The researchers suggest the drug someday may help drug addicts kick their habit or aid terminally ill patients struggling with anxiety and depression.

It may also provide a way to study what happens in the brain during intense spiritual experiences, the scientists said.

Funded in part by the federal government, the research was published online Tuesday by the journal Psychopharmacology.

Psilocybin has been used for centuries in religious practices, and its ability to produce a mystical experience is no surprise. But the new work demonstrates it more clearly than before, Griffiths said.

Even two months after taking the drug, pronounced SILL-oh-SY-bin, most of the volunteers said the experience had changed them in beneficial ways, such as making them more compassionate, loving, optimistic and patient. Family members and friends said they noticed a difference, too.

Charles Schuster, a professor of psychiatry and behavioral neuroscience at Wayne State University and a former director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse, called the work a landmark.

"I believe this is one of the most rigorously well-controlled studies ever done" to evaluate psilocybin or similar substances for their potential to increase self-awareness and a sense of spirituality, he said. He did not participate in the research.

Psilocybin, like LSD or mescaline, is one of a class of drugs called hallucinogens or psychedelics. While they have been studied by scientists in the past, research was largely shut down after widespread recreational abuse of the drugs during the 1960s, Griffiths said. Some work resumed in the 1990s.

"We've lost 40 years of (potential) research experience with this whole class of compounds," he said. Now, with modern-day scientific methods, "I think it's time to pick up this research field."

The study volunteers had an average age of 46, had never used hallucinogens, and participated to some degree in religious or spiritual activities like prayer, meditation, discussion groups or religious services. Each tried psilocybin during one visit to the lab and the stimulant methylphenidate (better known as Ritalin) on one or two other visits. Only six of the volunteers knew when they were getting psilocybin.

Each visit lasted eight hours. The volunteers lay on a couch in a living-room-like setting, wearing an eye mask and listening to classical music. They were encouraged to focus their attention inward.

Psilocybin's effects lasted for up to six hours, Griffiths said. Twenty-two of the 36 volunteers reported having a "complete" mystical experience, compared to four of those getting methylphenidate.

That experience included such things as a sense of pure awareness and a merging with ultimate reality, a transcendence of time and space, a feeling of sacredness or awe, and deeply felt positive mood like joy, peace and love. People say "they can't possibly put it into words," Griffiths said.

Two months later, 24 of the participants filled out a questionnaire. Two-thirds called their reaction to psilocybin one of the five top most meaningful experiences of their lives. On another measure, one-third called it the most spiritually significant experience of their lives, with another 40 percent ranking it in the top five.

About 80 percent said that because of the psilocybin experience, they still had a sense of well-being or life satisfaction that was raised either "moderately" or "very much."

11th July 2006 10:27 AM
GotToRollMe Oh fuck. Here's to that great gig in the sky, Syd. Hope you have an easier time up there than you had down here. RIP.
11th July 2006 10:48 AM
keefkid
quote:
jb wrote:
Never heard of him...RIP.

dammmmm .... ok i get you never heard of Paul Weller but Syd?????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syd_Barrett
11th July 2006 11:23 AM
pdog I never heard of JB...
You got crazy person in my LSD, you got LSD in my crazy person...
Syd Barret & Brian Jones... Two paranoid, crazy ass motherfucking angels in heaven!
11th July 2006 12:14 PM
keefkid
quote:
pdog wrote:
I never heard of JB...
You got crazy person in my LSD, you got LSD in my crazy person...
Syd Barret & Brian Jones... Two paranoid, crazy ass motherfucking angels in heaven!

haaaa

and ya syd & brian R.I.P.
11th July 2006 12:49 PM
Factory Girl RIP Syd Barett.

Are there any recent (after the 1960s) pics of him?
11th July 2006 12:55 PM
Your Cousin Lou There are some here, but be aware that the site is receiving heavy traffic at the present time:
www.pinkfloydz.com/PF_Syd.htm
[Edited by Your Cousin Lou]
11th July 2006 01:12 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
RIP Syd Barett.

Are there any recent (after the 1960s) pics of him?

From 2002:

You were caught in the crossfire
Of childhood and stardom
Blown on the steel breeze
Come on you target for faraway laughter
Come on you stranger
You legend, you martyr, and shine

[Edited by monkey_man]
11th July 2006 01:14 PM
Factory Girl Thank you!
11th July 2006 03:32 PM
Egbert
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Nice article, if somewhat tragic. Good to see that he remained a Stones fan, though!

I read somewhere that Syd was big on Between The Buttons.
11th July 2006 03:33 PM
Gimme Shelter Set the Controls For the Heart of the Sun

RIP Sid
11th July 2006 04:07 PM
MrPleasant This sucks.
11th July 2006 05:08 PM
Twostoned
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
This sucks.

Yeah. Shine on You Crazy Diamond. RIP Syd
[Edited by Twostoned]
11th July 2006 05:14 PM
pdog I heard he never recovered from the Live8 performance!

So what was Floyd's best song with Syd?
Astronomy Domine? Lucifer Sam? I can't decide between the two.
11th July 2006 05:30 PM
Egbert
quote:
pdog wrote:
I heard he never recovered from the Live8 performance!

So what was Floyd's best song with Syd?
Astronomy Domine? Lucifer Sam? I can't decide between the two.

Interstellar Overdrive? See Emily Play?
11th July 2006 05:32 PM
Hannalee Arnold Layne.
11th July 2006 05:34 PM
Gazza I liked his extremely odd solo albums, especially "The Madcap Laughs".
11th July 2006 05:41 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
jb wrote:
Never heard of him...RIP.

You pathetic fat cunt!

...I heard he was very very tired in recent years.

Blessed Keith though - he marches on and on and on and on and on...
11th July 2006 07:41 PM
Honky Tonk Man Arnold Layne and See Emily Play are my two favourite Syd Barrett era Floyd tunes and if I’m not mistaken, they’re only two singles up until Another Brick In The Wall! Actually, another point and it is over looked… prior to Waters joining, they were THE Pink Floyd. I’m fairly certain they dropped it after ’67.
11th July 2006 09:05 PM
keefjunkie
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Arnold Layne and See Emily Play are my two favourite Syd Barrett era Floyd tunes and if I’m not mistaken, they’re only two singles up until Another Brick In The Wall! Actually, another point and it is over looked… prior to Waters joining, they were THE Pink Floyd. I’m fairly certain they dropped it after ’67.

Waters was in the band at its beginnings with Syd.. maybe you meant when Gilmour joined? Even if you did, your still wrong. They dropped THE from The Pink Floyd early on.

I heard earlier today about Syd, its horrible, Piper At The Gates Of Dawn is probally my favorite album.
11th July 2006 09:16 PM
pdog I'm of the belief "The" should never be used in a bands name!
11th July 2006 09:28 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
keefjunkie wrote:

Waters was in the band at its beginnings with Syd.. maybe you meant when Gilmour joined? Even if you did, your still wrong. They dropped THE from The Pink Floyd early on.

I heard earlier today about Syd, its horrible, Piper At The Gates Of Dawn is probally my favorite album.

Sorry, yep, I meant Gimour!

I don't know when exactly they dropped the THE from their namne, but I know that I have the original 45rpm of Arnold Lane which has The Pink Floyd on it.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)