ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Fuck you Voodoo, will ya? Missing my birtdhay again???
Happy belated birthday Stu!
© Michael Putland
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The most umbearable record of all times Return to archive Page: 1 2
July 12th, 2005 02:04 PM
Jair Dark Side of the Moon, from far
and then
Sgt Peppers.

July 12th, 2005 03:06 PM
texile not a pink fan, but i AM i beatle fan jair....
although pepper IS overrated and pretentious, i prefer the early beatles when they had that great punky yet clean guitar sound.
as for pink - they are the musical equivalent of an examinating room...icy cold and sterile -
i think of clean white walls, clean white floors and needles.
July 12th, 2005 03:19 PM
pdog
quote:
Jair wrote:
Dark Side of the Moon, from far
and then
Sgt Peppers.

Anything by The Eagles,, Rush, Journey & Fleetwood Mac.
July 12th, 2005 03:51 PM
JaggerLips Pink Floyd can sur play a good tune but that's it.

Think they are over rated!

July 12th, 2005 03:56 PM
FPM C10
quote:
texile wrote:
not a pink fan, but i AM i beatle fan jair....
although pepper IS overrated and pretentious, i prefer the early beatles when they had that great punky yet clean guitar sound.
as for pink - they are the musical equivalent of an examinating room...icy cold and sterile -
i think of clean white walls, clean white floors and needles.

Perfect symbolism. Probably exactly what they were going for, actually. Their sterility is what keeps me from being a huge fan - also the sameness of so much of their best known stuff (I'm discounting the Syd stuff, it's almost like that was a totally different band) but they're too accomplished to just write off.

I don't understand having a gigantic problem with Sgt. Pepper. It's got A Day In The Life on it, fer crissakes!

Jair, my friend. There are a THOUSAND albums more unbearable than these!

Off the top of my head:

Need more?
July 12th, 2005 05:56 PM
kath
July 12th, 2005 05:59 PM
stonedinaustralia
July 12th, 2005 07:29 PM
sammy davis jr. Bon Jovi- Slippery When Ghey
July 12th, 2005 07:30 PM
Soldatti
quote:
I don't understand having a gigantic problem with Sgt. Pepper. It's got A Day In The Life on it, fer crissakes!

Jair, my friend. There are a THOUSAND albums more unbearable than these!

Agreed.
Sgt. Peppers is a classic and DSOFM is an incredible record that sells every week an average of 6,000 - 10,000 copies in US since 1973.
July 12th, 2005 07:34 PM
lotsajizz both are deservedly lauded albums...it is rather silly to label something as 'unbearable' just because YOU don't like it.....c'mon, we ain't talkin' Debbie Boone here after all
July 12th, 2005 08:29 PM
corgi37 Fancy saying the Beatles early stuff is almost "punk". Man, thats funny.

My top 5 worst albums release by major acts - and my faves:

1. Face Dances
2. In through the out door
3. Dirty Work
4. Soft Parade

And, i gotta put Pepper at Number 5. I despise the Beatles, but really, this is one shitty, cheesy, corny record. It's more George Martin than Beatles. Does nothing for me. Leaves me cold.

But, i agree, there are shit-loads worse albums than these. I mean, how can you possibly judge? What about Swinging Blue Jeans? Freddie & the Dreamers? Sex Pistols? Adam Ant? Poison? Leif Garrett? Bob Dylan?

P.s. Yeah, the last name is to stir you old hippies up.
July 12th, 2005 08:37 PM
stonedinaustralia
this one really is unbearable - that's the way Lou wanted it i'm sure

July 12th, 2005 09:06 PM
kath
quote:
c'mon, we ain't talkin' Debbie Boone here after

oh nnnNNNOOOOO not the dreaded DB word!!!

yew (or is it "jews"?) light up my life....
yew gib me hup
to kerrie awn (famous austin comic)
July 12th, 2005 09:13 PM
texile corgi - don't get exited .....ok, not PUNK - but a punk-Y, clean guitar sound...i can't explain that great sound they got with those rickenbachers and vox amps -
more of a full rythmn guitar sound...
as for truly unbearable -
she's the boss........it HURT to listen to this the first time in 85, and i don't think i've listened since.
what about the let's work single?
unbearable because a great songwriter was responsible.
July 12th, 2005 09:45 PM
jb All Beatles
All Eagles
All U2
Most LZ
Dirty Work
Steel Wheels
B2B
Live Licks
July 12th, 2005 10:19 PM
Soldatti What about Bill Wyman's solo work? The second album is terrible.
July 12th, 2005 10:34 PM
PeerQueer Dirty Work is a decent album because it has One Hit to the Body, a great fuckin' tune! Wish they would play that one live.

There, I said it.

Someone had to.
July 12th, 2005 10:37 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The most unbearable record was jb and joey breaking the 10k postathon record
July 13th, 2005 01:35 AM
MrPleasant I couldn't sit through Art Of Noise's "The Ambient Collection". (I haven't listened to any of their early stuff, though.)

Once I experimented with my tolerance and heard snippets of a Jon Secada album. "The Ambient Collection" was painfuler.
July 13th, 2005 01:51 AM
Taptrick Stonedinaustraulia...I LOVE PAVLOV'S DOG. David Surkamp was doing Getty Lee on helium long before Rush. I think they made great use of the Mellotron as well. Natchez Trace, Subway Sue, Julia...I love it all. And after David left The Dog he teamed up with Ian Matthews of Fairport Convention to form the band HiFi out of Northwest USA. They (PDog) still have a small cult following in Australia and Europe: http://www.pavlovs-dog.de/

David Surkamp also has his own site: http://www.surkamp.com/

From the pavlov's Dog website: "The group released their first album - "Pampered Menial" - in 1975 on ABC Dunhill Records. When the band was signed, they received a $600,000 advance from ABC. This was the largest advance for any new group signed. But, remember that this was 1974. The band then switched labels to Columbia Records for their second album - "At the Sound of the Bell".
When the group switched to Columbia, there are several different stories about what happened. One story is that they simply switched labels for their second album and Columbia simply re-released their first album. Another story says that Columbia actually paid the group another $600,000 for their first album and released it less than a week after ABC Records released it. Still a third story says that Columbia Records traded groups with ABC Records - Columbia gave the group Poco for Pavlov's Dog. So which story do you believe? According to Mike Safron, formerly of Pavlov's Dog, the story is as follows: "Pavlov's Dog probably had the most screwed-up situation of any group in history. The chance we had was just unbelievable. We signed the biggest contract ever for a starting-up national band. We signed for $650,000 to ABC/Dunhill, then were fired. Two weeks later we signed for another $600,000 to Columbia. The first album came out in all stores on the same day, on two labels. Never before in history."

FAST GUN
David Surkamp

You like to wear the fast gun
You try and make me run
When the whole town turns its troubles down on you
You like to wear your gun down low
And you kiss her when you go
Would a half breed cowboy lose her
You never know

When you shot them dressed in black
How to pull these triggers back
When it happens there's a time when it's pouring down
Will you meet me there, let's go
Better to let your feelings show
Because the fast gun's got troubles of his own

You like to wear the fast gun
You gonna try and make me run
You think you're going to shoot me down
Well you never will
'Cause they say you've got no soul
You got to hit them quite low
Would a half breed cowboy lose her
How you know, how you know, you must never know

When you shot them dressed in black
How to pull these triggers back
When it happens there's a time when it's pouring down
Will you meet me there, let's go
Better to let your feelings show
Because the fast gun's got troubles of his own

You wear the fast gun wear it low
You like to kiss her when you go
(Repeat to end)

[Edited by Taptrick]
[Edited by Taptrick]
[Edited by Taptrick]
July 13th, 2005 02:36 AM
pdog
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
The most unbearable record was jb and joey breaking the 10k postathon record

WORD!
July 13th, 2005 08:30 AM
gimmekeef Sgt Peppers deserves a high place in history for its major shift in production values at the time.It took the album experience to a new level.I was around when it came out and although the music may be overrated the sound set new standards.....IMHO...
July 13th, 2005 08:53 AM
Jair
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
What about Bill Wyman's solo work? The second album is terrible.

Hey Soldatti, what's in the second? I never know.
But I've seen in eil.com Stone Alone, Monkey Grip & Bill Wyman will be released in Japan next month with extra tracks.

Check it:
http://eil.com/shop/artistlist.asp?artistname=bill-wyman
July 13th, 2005 10:24 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Unbearable??? There's just so much junk out there to choose from. I guess all of Barry Manilow's work would suffice.
July 13th, 2005 04:36 PM
Gimme Shelter Why all the hatred for Floyd and the Beatles?
July 13th, 2005 04:37 PM
Joey
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:
Why all the hatred for Floyd and the Beatles?

I agree .......................

MACCA and WATERS are gods ( living legends ).

July 13th, 2005 04:46 PM
gypsy
quote:
Joey wrote:

I agree .......................

MACCA and WATERS are gods ( living legends ).

joey, remember that night we made sweet love to an entire Wings album?
July 13th, 2005 04:58 PM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:

joey, remember that night we made sweet love to an entire Wings album?

Yes my Princess !!! How(e) could I ever forget ?!?!

It was my thirtieth Birthday Party , August 1st , 1994 ( Downtown Wichita , KS Marriott ) . I believe the " Wings " disc playing in the background was ' Back to the Egg ' .

...... earlier in the evening on the dance floor you assured me that there would be lots of ' friction ' later on but no ' eggs ' .

Joeykins !

July 13th, 2005 06:49 PM
gypsy
quote:
Joey wrote:

Yes my Princess !!! How(e) could I ever forget ?!?!

It was my thirtieth Birthday Party , August 1st , 1994 ( Downtown Wichita , KS Marriott ) . I believe the " Wings " disc playing in the background was ' Back to the Egg ' .

...... earlier in the evening on the dance floor you assured me that there would be lots of ' friction ' later on but no ' eggs ' .

Joeykins !

Your penchant for details never ceases to amaze me, my little joeykins.
July 13th, 2005 07:24 PM
2000 Man
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

this one really is unbearable - that's the way Lou wanted it i'm sure

I have it. It's very hard to listen to. I have Contact High With The Godz, too. If I listened to both in one sitting, I'm pretty sure it would be like a self inflicted lobotomy.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)