ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Fuck you Voodoo, will ya? Missing my birtdhay again???
Happy belated birthday Stu!
© Michael Putland
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Oasis at Milton Keynes Bowl Return to archive
July 11th, 2005 04:53 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Hi Guys
As promised here is the mini review of the Oasis gig I went to on saturday.
It was a lovely day in Milton Keynes and the sun was shining on a packed National Bowl crammed full to a capacity of 60,000.
The Zutons were the last minute replacement for the ever cracked up Pete Doherty and his Babyshambles outfit. They were fantastic, they really got the crowd going.

Oasis took to the stage at around 8.30
They slowly but surely moped onto the stage like they didnt give a fuck and you could tell that they didnt. They had thet real cocky "Fuck you" look on their faces and they burst in to the first number.

Turn up the sun
Liam then complained about his mic not being correct. But just as he was doing that Noel started the riff to the next track
Lyla
After that track they boys stopped and took in the crowds adulation for a few seconds and then proceeded to reel off the clasics

Bring it On Down
Morning Glory
Cigarettes and Alcohol

Liam then left the stage and we were left with Noel who played the forthcoming single

The Importance of being Idle

Liam then took back to the stage and the band reeled off another few classics

Wonderwall
Little by Little (Noel only. I think Liam went to change his hat)
Songbird
They then played
A Bell will ring

The next three songs were
Live Forever
Champagne Supernova
Rock n Roll Star

They said goodnight and left the stage

ENCORE

Guess God Thinks Im Abel
Meaning of Soul
Dont Look Back in Anger
My Generation

All in all it was a pretty solid gig. But it was by no means any more than just solid. The band were very tight. Almost too tight. Too well rehearsed. There was no feedback on the guitars and no raw rock n roll grit.

The sound at the bowl is very poor anyway. Nobody could hear what Noel was singing and the bass was almost none existant.
Another thing which annoyed me was the fact that there was NO sound at all in between songs. Nothing not a squeak. This completely ruined any atmosphere created by the song played before. I had never been to a gig where the atmosphere was killed so quickly.

To summarise
Oasis are a good solid band who know what their audience want to hear. They played the classics and hit us with a good mix of old and new stuff. Liam was at his best. Noel was too quite and the rest of the band were nearly non existant.
Would I go and see then again?
Not for another ten years
Would I recomend somebody to go?
Yes - Just about
Should you buy the new album?
Yes it is nearly back to their best work

Best thing to come out of the Gig
I have discovered the Zutons! Fantastic
July 11th, 2005 05:00 AM
Jumacfly thanks for the review...I got the same opinion about oasis

try the Zutons cd, it s great!
I love this band too
July 11th, 2005 05:34 AM
Voodoo Scrounge The sax player is hot too
July 11th, 2005 05:36 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
The sax player is hot too

oh yes she is!!!
July 11th, 2005 04:35 PM
Dan I used to really like Oasis but I've seen them 3 times and each time its just been sorta "ho-hum."
July 11th, 2005 07:50 PM
Soldatti The last CD is great, the best since Morning Glory.
July 13th, 2005 05:18 PM
Honky Tonk Man Thanks foe the review Voodoo Scrounge!

They showed most of the City Of Manchester gig last Saturday night on Channel 4. Your review pretty much sums up the footage I saw.

It was a good, solid performance, but nothing spectacular. Everything seemed very much rehearsed and to me, many of the songs from Don't Believe The Truth sounded almost identical to the studio versions. I really do think that Liam has lost it a little in the vocal department too. While it's undoubtedly still the one and only Liam, the spark of old is missing and his voice is fairly hoarse these days.

I think it's time for him to ditch the Benson And Hedges.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)