ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Keithfucius say

oooooh... aaaaaah... Thanks Master Keithfucius!

Scanned from the cover of "Excellent and Unreleased"

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RCMP seize hundreds of concert bootlegs Return to archive
8th July 2004 11:46 AM
Lazy Bones RCMP seize hundreds of concert bootlegs

Canadian Press

Hamilton � Hundreds of bootleg copies of concerts by more than a dozen artists including Shania Twain, Nickelback and Avril Lavigne have been seized by RCMP.

The musical works were allegedly recorded illegally during live performances.

The stash of DVDs, CDs and audio cassettes found includes shows by Canadians � the Guess Who, Jann Arden, Rush, Bryan Adams, Neil Young, the Tragically Hip, the Barenaked Ladies � as well as international acts including the Rolling Stones, the Who, Guns N' Roses and Bruce Springsteen.

A Hamilton man has been charged with copyright infringement, RCMP said in a statement Thursday.

8th July 2004 11:52 AM
jb
8th July 2004 11:54 AM
Joey

Thanks Lazy Bones

8th July 2004 12:19 PM
MrPleasant Mark Purseglove made a fortune selling illegal bootlegs of live gigs by bands such as Oasis, The Beatles, Eminem, David Bowie, Madonna, Prince, Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson, Manic Street Preachers, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, REM, Radiohead, George Michael, Paul McCartney, Guns 'n' Roses and Bruce Springsteen.

The recordings were made by the band�s sound engineers (whom Purseglove allegedly bribed) and concert-goers and formed the basis for a piracy empire and a luxury lifestyle that included a �1.1 million townhouse in Clareville Street, Chelsea, London and an estimated income of over �6 million since 1993.

London's Blackfriars Crown Court heard that the 33-year-old sold the CDs at music festivals, shops and online, for prices up to �130 though a huge network of suppliers and tradesmen.

"He commissioned, manufactured and sold, here and elsewhere, unavailable or illicit recordings of musical works by virtually every well-known artist in the world." prosecutor David Groome explained.

It was also revealed that he was caught by Mick Jagger and Bill Wyman recording a Rolling Stones concert in 1992, and was put under a "perpetual restraining order" by the High Court, but carried on bootlegging regardless.

Purseglove now faces a seven-figure confiscation order, and may be jailed if he fails to pay. Sentencing is expected later this week.

http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?id=30572

8th July 2004 12:43 PM
jb Did the Stones tour in 92?
8th July 2004 12:50 PM
MrPleasant ... You're right JB. Mick and Keith were doing their solo stuff.
Wrong date I guess?
8th July 2004 12:51 PM
Dan Poor Vic. Same thing happened to a friend who was caught on camera taking money from a cop at a swap meet.
8th July 2004 01:02 PM
MrPleasant OK. This explains it:

"Purseglove had been jailed and fined for similar offences in Florida in 1997, and was taken to court in 1992 by Bill Wyman and Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones to stop him making illicit recordings. "

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1254829,00.html
Always trust The Guardian. Susan Sontag reads The Guardian.
8th July 2004 04:05 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Dan wrote:
Poor Vic. Same thing happened to a friend who was caught on camera taking money from a cop at a swap meet.

I wasn't aware of a name...
8th July 2004 04:40 PM
Dan
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

I wasn't aware of a name...

Well known filmer/seller of many shows in the area. It was all over the bootlegs newsgroup a few weeks ago and he even spoke up a few times.
8th July 2004 05:10 PM
MRD8 This is a real loss for bootleg concert collectors everywhere! Vic was an incredible filmer, he always got the complete show and was very easy to deal with...I just got a copy of a Deep Purple show he filmed in February at Massey Hall and the quality of the picture/sound is amazing! I hope he doesn't draw any jail time for this offence!
8th July 2004 07:10 PM
mac_daddy how did he get pinched?

8th July 2004 07:13 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
how did he get pinched?

LOL. The Borg have ARRIVED!!!! LOL. 00010010010101010100000010100101000001010
8th July 2004 07:27 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

LOL. The Borg have ARRIVED!!!! LOL. 00010010010101010100000010100101000001010

seriously, though - how did he get pinched? was he selling stuff? what is he charged with..?

tia
8th July 2004 07:43 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

seriously, though - how did he get pinched? was he selling stuff? what is he charged with..?

Seriously? Personally I'm not familiar with the case. But I do know that tracking technology (RFDI) is coming too fast too soon. Right now I think it's all kind of experimental but getting better. I'd guess that they were after this guy and they got him.
8th July 2004 10:30 PM
glencar The Canadians must set this man free until at least the end of next year & then do whatever they want.
9th July 2004 01:36 AM
Dan I think he was caught selling at the swap meet too.
9th July 2004 04:32 AM
MRD8 They arrested him at a swap meet, they came straight to his booth and told him a complaint had been filed against him...they ignored all the other people at the show selling bootleg/pirated CD's and DVD's...they didn't charge him for over a month but now they finally have.
9th July 2004 04:53 AM
mac_daddy thanks for the info...

so, he was selling stuff, and that was when he got pinched..? all other charges stemmed from that..?

[Edited by mac_daddy]
9th July 2004 07:29 AM
Gazza >This is a real loss for bootleg concert collectors everywhere! Vic was an incredible filmer, he always got the complete show and was very easy to deal with...I just got a copy of a Deep Purple show he filmed in February at Massey Hall and the quality of the picture/sound is amazing! I hope he doesn't draw any jail time for this offence!

theres a few Dylan/Toronto DVD's from recent tours in circulation..are they from him as well?

I agree with Glencar. He should be freed and left to carry on until the end of 2005. Not that we have ulterior motives or anything
9th July 2004 08:16 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
This is a real loss for bootleg concert collectors everywhere! Vic was an incredible filmer, he always got the complete show and was very easy to deal with...I just got a copy of a Deep Purple show he filmed in February at Massey Hall and the quality of the picture/sound is amazing! I hope he doesn't draw any jail time for this offence!

When I read he was from Hamilton, Vic was the first guy I thought of, Bob. I tried getting tickets for that DP show at Massey Hall but it sold out almost immediately.

Shame.
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
9th July 2004 10:46 PM
MRD8 I might B&P some copies of his Toronto Deep Purple 2004 show, not sure how much interest there'd be on the board! They played a great setlist including all of Machine Head...as usual the filming is amazing! Nearly every audience recorded video from Toronto, Hamilton and sometimes even Buffalo were done by Vic...I have over a hundred of his shows on video/DVDR...I sure will miss him!
9th July 2004 10:52 PM
Dan I saw Deep Purple and the fake Thin Lizzy at the Wiltern this year, great stuff!
11th July 2004 01:44 AM
Martha
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
I might B&P some copies of his Toronto Deep Purple 2004 show, not sure how much interest there'd be on the board! They played a great setlist including all of Machine Head...as usual the filming is amazing! Nearly every audience recorded video from Toronto, Hamilton and sometimes even Buffalo were done by Vic...I have over a hundred of his shows on video/DVDR...I sure will miss him!

I'd be VERY interested in the Purple show MRD8. LMK if you decide to offer it. I know the drill.

And I am sorry to learn about Vic and the arrest. Please post more news as it develops. This shit is scary.....don't cops have anything better to do than bust people for taping shows?

Horsefeathers.

Peace out,
Martha

Set him free, lift the lid, bring him to his wife and kids....alright.
11th July 2004 08:48 AM
MRD8 Martha,
I just got in Bowies 4-1-04 Toronto DVD as well(also filmed by Vic) so if you want both the DP and Bowie Toronto send four blanks and a postage paid return mailer...