ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Keithfucius say

oooooh... aaaaaah... Thanks Master Keithfucius!

Scanned from the cover of "Excellent and Unreleased"

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith on "Toronto Rocks" DVD Return to archive
7th July 2004 10:20 AM
twicks1 Check out the last paragraph...

T.O. Rocks DVD predictable
By DARRYL STERDAN
Winnipeg Sun
------------------------------------------------------------------------
TORONTO ROCKS
Various Artists
(TGA/Warner)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The baking heat. The endless lineups. The overpriced concessions. Let's face it: If you've been to one of those gigantic outdoor megafestivals, you've pretty much been to them all.
Likewise, if you've seen a DVD of any festival -- be it Woodstock or whatever -- you know what to expect from Toronto Rocks, the video set documenting last year's SARSstock concert headlined by The Rolling Stones.

You get the usual abbreviated, hit-heavy performances from a slate of acts including Rush, AC/DC, The Guess Who, The Isley Brothers, The Flaming Lips and of course the Stones, who slog through a half-dozen hits like Start Me Up, Satisfaction and Jumpin' Jack Flash.

You get the pathetic, sub-Blues Brothers antics of hosts Dan Aykroyd and Jim Belushi. And naturally, you get plenty of footage of topless whoo girls on their boyfriends' shoulders. (Which begs two questions: What is it that prompts women to casually disrobe in crowds; and how do we make it happen when we're stuck in line at the bank?)

Toronto Rocks has other faults besides predictability. The fact that at least three of the acts on the bill -- AC/DC, Rush and the Stones -- recently put out vastly superior live DVDs of their own certainly doesn't help. Nor does all the shamelessly self-aggrandizing hype from promoters, who try to attach historic significance to the event by repeatedly proclaiming it "the largest ticketed single-day event in history." Whatever.

Having said all that, though, we have to admit there are some nuggets of coolness sprinkled in the set. First and foremost is a second DVD -- available only in Canada -- which features sets by Blue Rodeo, Tea Party, Sam Roberts, Kathleen Edwards and other Canuck talent clearly thrilled to be playing the biggest gig of their lives. Then there's the Guess Who footage, which captures the band in fine form musically -- and physically, in the case of the recently svelte Randy Bachman.

Similarly, the Flaming Lips' segment, a joyful burst of confetti, giant balloons and dancers clad in animal costumes, is an undeniable treat. Another treat: We only have to sit through one song by Justin Timberlake (mainly because he spent most of his set dodging bottles lobbed by Stones fans).

Some of the bonus backstage footage is pretty swell too -- especially when Burton Cummings becomes a gushing fan-boy in the presence of Mick Jagger ("I have just rediscovered Black and Blue," el Burto blurts to Mick apropos of nothing. "F--ing sensational.")

But for our money, the laugh-out-loud funniest moment comes when guitarist Keith Richards explains why he stopped playing during the Stones' set to confront those bottle-throwing fans, who resumed their barrage when Timberlake came up to sing on Miss You. "The main point is that I don't want to get hit and I don't want Charlie ... or Mick getting hit," says Keef, stressing he was not rising to JT's defence. "If they've got a good aim, they can hit Justin. He's not in my band."

Now THAT rocks.

7th July 2004 10:21 AM
Joey

Simply OUTSTANDING ........................!!!!!!

Thanks twicks1 .
7th July 2004 10:48 AM
jb Thanks twicks1.
7th July 2004 11:10 AM
getsatisfied This reporter ,I guess, is giving his opinion and he's right there was some coolness as he puts it. Rush, AC/DC and the Sass Jordan/ Jeff Healy set are the ones that standout in my mind from the day. Of course so did the reason for the day, The Stones. Although I didn't see the bottles being thrown at Justin that day I did hear about it and thought it was kind of funny. But now that I've seen it on the DVD I feel bad for him. It was pretty classless on the part of the throwers but remember there where 500,000 people there that day so the precentage of assholes was very low. I thought the footage of Keith giving it to the guy who threw it was hilarious. I'm sure the guy took a few shots from the people around him as Keith is held in high regard in Toronto and the fact it upset him would be enough for people to react. Right on Keith!! Then tough boy Justin flips the guy the bird. Not exactly a tough thing to do but it was funny. It was the largest single day attended music event that went off without so much as a broken nail. Hats off to everyone concerned.
7th July 2004 11:23 AM
jb Thanks getsatisfied.
7th July 2004 12:10 PM
getsatisfied Toronto Rocks
Fantastic audio make up for dodgy video.

June 29, 2004 - The SARS outbreak of 2002-2003 was largely an Asian problem, but one western city, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, was hit pretty hard. The result was tourism, a major form of revenue for the city, took a beating. To jump start the tourist industry and show the city wasn't a swarming death trap, the city hosted one of the largest concerts in history, with a line-up of talent unheard-of since Live Aid.

The Rolling Stones, AC/DC and Rush are all headliners in and of their own right and have been for decades. Put them together with The Isley Brothers, The Guess Who, Dan Aykroyd and Jim Belushi and Justin Timberlake in a Toronto park on July 30, 2003 and add 490,000 folks from all over the world out for a day of music and heat stroke.

All of the artists worked for gratis, and proceeds from this DVD will go to various charities in Toronto.

I have to admit, some of the shots of the audience were encouraging. After so much TRL dominance of popular music, you gotta love watching a crowd young enough to be the children or grandchildren of these musicians getting into their songs. Most of the bands have been around longer than Timberlake has been alive, and while they've lost a few steps and hairs and gained some pounds, they still put on a show.

The Isley Brothers really tore it up. Ronald Isley was dressed like a preacher, complete with the hat, while his brother Ernie, in incredible shape for his age, just burned on that guitar in a way hardly anyone does these days. Who's That Lady and Shout went by way too fast.

Putting Justin Timberlake on after those two must have been someone's idea of a joke. Or a prank. Watching this skinny white boy with a thin, reedy voice stand there trying to talk like an M.C. at The Apollo, complete with the hand gestures, only served to show how far short he falls of the great ones he presumes to follow.

-Rhino Home Video

Here's a link to more on the DVD.
GS

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/527/527184p1.html
7th July 2004 12:12 PM
jb
7th July 2004 12:42 PM
Martha But for our money, the laugh-out-loud funniest moment comes when guitarist Keith Richards explains why he stopped playing during the Stones' set to confront those bottle-throwing fans, who resumed their barrage when Timberlake came up to sing on Miss You. "The main point is that I don't want to get hit and I don't want Charlie ... or Mick getting hit," says Keef, stressing he was not rising to JT's defence. "If they've got a good aim, they can hit Justin. He's not in my band."

ROTFLOL!!! Good, I'm very glad to know that this incident is included on the DVD. I have been wanting to see Keith pull out his can of whoop-ass! I will buy the DVD just to view this moment! Rock on Keef!!!!!!!

Ok, I want to see more than this, but that is the *gem* of the night...right?! LOL
7th July 2004 01:00 PM
Bloozehound LOL
7th July 2004 01:57 PM
jb What a hypocrite..he allows this joke to get on stage with the band then claims he didn't care if he got hit...keith is full of shit...
7th July 2004 02:10 PM
caro >What a hypocrite..he allows this joke to get on stage with the band then claims he didn't care if he got hit...keith is full of shit...

Um yeah, but it's hilarious...
I also think the people who threw the bottles were utterly disrespectful -- still I love them for doing it.
7th July 2004 02:14 PM
jb
quote:
caro wrote:
>What a hypocrite..he allows this joke to get on stage with the band then claims he didn't care if he got hit...keith is full of shit...

Um yeah, but it's hilarious...
I also think the people who threw the bottles were utterly disrespectful -- still I love them for doing it.

I am sick of Keith and Ronnie ruining this band!!!
7th July 2004 10:43 PM
getsatisfied It was hilarious and it's funny to watch the old man call someone on!
7th July 2004 11:35 PM
Steel Wheels Christ, I love this band. Keef could give a hoot about the kid.

I think many people forget that the show was for charity, and the usual sort of charity duets/combos/strange pairings occur.

It was as if this happened at a theater show and Justin ruined the event. Nope, it was for charity and a great cause.

7th July 2004 11:59 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Keith is the best to give snappy answers to stupid questions, is the best to reply with humour... that's why I call him "Keithfucius"... the one and only master
8th July 2004 12:16 AM
getsatisfied You're right voodoo! It was unfortunate that a few rowdies thought it would be nice to pelt Justin and from what I heard they weren't filled with water. The washrooms were quite a distance from the stage plus you would lose your spot. The entire day was AMAZING from every aspect from start to finish. The nay sayers did scare some people from attending and I know alot who are kicking themselves for not going. I did not meet one nasty person all day. There was alot of love there that day. I must admit I was a little apprehensive about wearing the masks that mickmask(my wife) painted as I thought it might be taken as a slight but it was entirely the opposite. I could have sold the mask a hundred times over but I didn't as it was a momento from the day. And now mickmasks wonderful idea has given us the ultimate momento in that we are in the international version of the dvd. It truly is an honour to be mentioned in regards to the largest single day paid attended music festival in history and it was staged by the greatest musical group of all time. THE ROLLING STONES!! By the way voodoo, this board is by far the best Rolling Stones board available. The people of the Voodoo nation are class and enjoyable to read and your interaction with us is fantastic. Keep up the great work you do for us and the Stones.
gs
[Edited by getsatisfied]
[Edited by getsatisfied]
8th July 2004 01:07 AM
kahoosier I find Keith's comment a bit humerous but also tremendously hypocritical. JT was on stage at he THE INVITE OF THE ROLLING STONES. We should all take note, he did not barge on uninvited. And no matter how polarized a fan may be in the Jagger-Richards battle (which is probably no way near as bad between two old guys who are business partners as it is amongst fans that follow them), neither is going to allow the appearnce of a guest star with out the invite and permission of the other. We all know, or at least have been told in reports, that Keith's girls are JT fans.

For Keith to invite or approve of JT's appearnce, and than slag him later because it makes him look cool, in my opionion does just the opposite. This is what he has slagged Jagger publically for, for not taking a stand against a government that slighted them 30 years ago when he was offered a Knighthood. Now Keith will not take a stand in the press for his actions in protecting someone he invited on stage.

Keith is supposed to be a man of conviction that we all adore for those convictions. It seems of late those convictions change with the wind. I do not have a problem with that at all. He is a very successful older guy who changes his mind and moods as do I on occasion. I have a problem with those that idolize any one person, such as Keith, to the point of being unable to recognize fault. In this particlar case, it seems that so many think of every questionable or unpopular move ever made by the Rolling Stones as Mick's fault made over the objections of Keith, who has been ,despite admissions to the contrary, the soul of the band, its only worthy musical writer, etc etc

Trust me, Keith approves every ticket price, every gouge on the net, every guest, the final song order on every album; he is not in a vacuum without any responsibility as he would like us all to beleive
8th July 2004 08:01 AM
Gazza Good post, kahoosier

and on that report in the newspaper:
>All of the artists worked for gratis, and proceeds from this DVD will go to various charities in Toronto.

I thought the Stones got $10 million for their appearance? Or did I read that wrongly?

I'm still laughing at getsatisfied's expression "the voodoo nation". I think that's our Rocks Off banner for YOTI' 05 right there!
8th July 2004 08:18 AM
Monkeytonkman fuck me, Just read the quote from keef about the bottle throwing, just pissed my pants!

I am gonna have to buy this now just for that line from Keef. what a beauty.
8th July 2004 09:30 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Good post, kahoosier

and on that report in the newspaper:
>All of the artists worked for gratis, and proceeds from this DVD will go to various charities in Toronto.

I thought the Stones got $10 million for their appearance? Or did I read that wrongly?

I'm still laughing at getsatisfied's expression "the voodoo nation". I think that's our Rocks Off banner for YOTI' 05 right there!

Didn't I say the same thing?
8th July 2004 09:35 AM
Snappy McJack I'm pretty sure the Stones did rake in a few cool million smackeroo's. The Stones ain't no charity (at least not doing it for free) band.

Thing is, I agree that it's kind of hypocritcal for Keith to invite the guy on stage (even if it was Mick, Keith has a say too, doesn't he?) for the sole purpose of trying to get some 13 year old girls to buy your latest greatest hits album, and then lambast him by saying that you could care less about the guy, and that you were "protecting" your band.
8th July 2004 09:37 AM
jb
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Stones did rake in a few cool million smackeroo's. The Stones ain't no charity (at least not doing it for free) band.

Thing is, I agree that it's kind of hypocritcal for Keith to invite the guy on stage (even if it was Mick, Keith has a say too, doesn't he?) for the sole purpose of trying to get some 13 year old girls to buy your latest greatest hits album, and then lambast him by saying that you could care less about the guy, and that you were "protecting" your band.

Keith, rather than Mick, has become a parody of himself....
8th July 2004 09:39 AM
Moonisup
quote:
jb wrote:
Keith, rather than Mick, has become a parody of himself....

that's not new for me, well.. that shouldn't be news for anyone
8th July 2004 10:04 AM
egon ***
"The main point is that I don't want to get hit and I don't want Charlie ... or Mick getting hit," says Keef, stressing he was not rising to JT's defence. "If they've got a good aim, they can hit Justin. He's not in my band."

Now that's why he IS the man.

(keef i mean, not justin)
8th July 2004 10:16 AM
Gazza So I guess Keith reckons its Ok to hit Ronnie?

I guess so, he's been doing it himself for about 30 years...!
8th July 2004 03:10 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
jb wrote:
What a hypocrite..he allows this joke to get on stage with the band then claims he didn't care if he got hit...keith is full of shit...

Come on, jb! Don't you see that Keith was being funny? The whole sequence was hilarious. Notice that Keith paused a second before adding "or Mick being hit"!

Sure, he allowed JT on stage. But by making fun of that pathetic pup, Keith allows himself a little bit of one-upmanship. Not classy, will you say? Not responsible? That's true. But once again, I can't really blame him. And I'm not a worshipper at Keith's shrine, far from it. (I have a lot of respect for Charlie for instance, and for Mick's talent and professionnalism). But Keith always makes me smile and feel good, even when he's being bloody egotistical. Maybe Keith just knows instinctively the point to wich he can go too far and still be loved by the fans...

Sometimes I rationalize my own contradictions by saying to myself that as long as the other Stones are OK with Keith's ways, it's OK with me too.
8th July 2004 05:25 PM
Diedre Keith is full of it, and he's well aware of it. He's just trying to cover for himself after the fact. I have the concert on DVD (it's been traded and treed unofficially since it happened, practically). Keith is very out front in getting after the crowd for throwing bottles at Justin, mouthing words and pointing to his head in an "are you nuts?" gesture. He looks extremely angry. Of course he cared about JT. He looked like he was enjoying himself during the performance, and he and Ronnie were having a laugh together. They were having fun up there with Justin. Most damaging of all:

KEITH HIGH-FIVES JUSTIN!

Keith has a lot of 'splaining to do.
8th July 2004 06:09 PM
Monkey Woman Cover for himself? LOL! Watch the clip again. He's having fun at JT's expense, of course! You know Keith's brand of humour.

That doesn't mean he regrets having the pup on stage.
Yes, he high-fives Justin during the performance. And he enjoys it, as is obvious by the happy look on his face, the dancing, sharing a laugh with Ronnie... And why not? I admit I enjoyed it, too, though not for the same reasons a fan of JT would, of course!

The duet is funny, really hilarious when you see Mick close to that guy who can't sing or dance and is just able to follow him slavishly! Justin obviously worships Mick Jagger. He's just happy to be onstage with the Stones, even if it means getting a few bottles as part of the package! He may even consider that jibes from Keith are an honour...

So little JT was invited to generate more buzz for that big charity event, to draw the teen-market media to the Stones, to please Mick and Keith's kids... Why wouldn't Keith be happy with his job?
11th July 2004 12:28 PM
cwatts0462 you think these fans would learn a lesson after
the hampton 81 guitar bashing,keith doesnt take any
shit