ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Keithfucius say

oooooh... aaaaaah... Thanks Master Keithfucius!

Scanned from the cover of "Excellent and Unreleased"

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: �6m bootlegger targeted the stars of rock and pop (Telegraph) (SSC) Return to archive
7th July 2004 07:11 AM
Gazza �6m bootlegger targeted the stars of rock and pop
By Hugh Davies
(Filed: 06/07/2004)

A man who sat quietly in the crowd at sell-out rock concerts with state-of-the-art recording devices in his pocket made up to �6 million from sales of "bootleg" CDs, a court was told yesterday.

Mark Purseglove, 32, who lived in Chelsea, also bribed sound engineers to attach sophisticated recorders to their sound board equipment to tape performances secretly.

David Groome, prosecuting, said at Blackfriars Crown Court in London that music "by virtually every well-known artist in world" was pirated by him for sale at shops, music festivals and on the internet auction site eBay, with some recordings, marked "rare items", fetching as much as �130.

Events recorded by him included Michael Jackson's Invincible tour, Prince's Greatest Hits Tour in 2001, David Bowie in Tokyo in 1996, Eric Clapton's Reptile tour in Germany in 2001, the Rolling Stones' Voodoo Lounge tour in 1995, Kylie Minogue in Australia in 2001 and Madonna's Drowned World tour at London's Earls Court.

Other victims included the Manic Street Preachers, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, REM, Radiohead, George Michael, Paul McCartney, Guns 'n' Roses, Pink Floyd and Bruce Springsteen.

Purseglove admitted that he conspired with numerous people to defraud the music world, using names such as Bionic Records, Merlin Music and Fragile distribution.

Rock musicians have been aware of his activities for years.

After he was caught by Mick Jagger and Bill Wyman recording a Rolling Stones concert in 1992*, the musicians pursued him through the High Court and he was put under a "perpetual restraining order" to halt his activities.

But he carried on, hiring professional printers to design CD covers to make the recording seem authentic.

Purseglove is expected to be sentenced later this week.

www.telegraph.co.uk

* Aside from the fact that the Stones didn't actually PLAY any concerts in 1992, I'd love to know how Mick and Bill managed to "catch" him recording whilst still performing!
7th July 2004 07:19 AM
caro >�6 million ???

Are there still so many people willing to pay for bootlegs? It's strange, I thought the people really interested in an artist (I mean interested enough to buy a live show) would know about bootleg trading.
7th July 2004 07:24 AM
John Wood A Rolling Stones concert in 1992??????
7th July 2004 07:36 AM
Gazza Yeah. I know. LOL. He must have been the only person there.

No fuckin' wonder they caught him!
7th July 2004 07:46 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
He must have been the only person there.
No fuckin' wonder they caught him!

LMAO!!!
7th July 2004 07:59 AM
Zeeta Maybe that was when he was prosecuted?

Fuck knows! I suppose it was more likley that them touring Dirty Work! That would have been impossibe;!