ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Keithfucius say

oooooh... aaaaaah... Thanks Master Keithfucius!

Scanned from the cover of "Excellent and Unreleased"

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Play it for me babe with love! :D IGGY POP! Return to archive
7th July 2004 03:05 AM
FotiniD Here I am... Couldn't log in after the gig last night, right now I'm at work (so awful after a nice gig - we should be allowed extra leave for concert! It's a matter of culture! Whatever ).

After a series of incredible bad luck incidents, I did manage to get there but I lost the first support act, Stellastar. Not that I minded, I was there to see Iggy and the Stooges. Up next were Madrugada, who weren't bad at all. They have this mixture of good and loud rock songs (but not the kind of loud that bores you to death, like those nu metal acts, yikes) with nice stretched out melodies and good vocals. Rather nice! They played for about an hour and they were as anxious as we were to see Iggy

Then after about half an hour of tuning instruments, checking the microphones, blah, blah, blah - boom... There they are, starting the set with "Loose". As I said in my previous post, I'd never seen Iggy Pop live. Everytime he played here, something happened which kept me from seeing him (much like what was happening to me with Uriah Heep). But as much as I had waited, I was totally unprepared for this THIS GUY ROCKS! Yeah, I know it's old news, but still... I didn't expect such energy, such honesty and such daring performance and all... Truly incredible... People around me were all "I can't believe this guy!" and "I bet he'll be just like that even if he turns 85!", "the man is crazy" and stuff like that!

The crowd was roaring, the Stooges were amazing (God, what a bass the man played!) and all hell broke loose when they played "I wanna be your dog". Iggy got off the stage, people were doing the crowd-surfing thing, absolute madness. Between "Dirt" and "Real Cool Time" Iggy invited people on stage (now, that wouldn't make it in a Stones gig for sure ) they were all dancing and singing with him, really good stuff. I loved listening to "No Fun" and "1969" but the newer songs weren't bad either. This "Skull Ring" is good and the lyrics on "Dead Rockstar" were brilliant.

All in all, if Iggy and the Stooges are so energetic in 2004, I can't even imagine how damn good they must have been back in 1969. And I kept thinking throughout the gig, that the Stones could use some of Iggy's attitude in things like: lose the stupid gigantic sets, return to basics, don't be afraid to improvise, lose the backup singers and musicians and just play music you crazy people! Yeah, I know it won't happen, but I got kind of jealous.

Have I told you I regretted about a zillion times not going up front and climbing on stage with the other folks? The crowd was really, really wild, all my insecurities got a hold of me, I was feeling a bit dizzy and sick too, and so I had to stay back. But so, so, so damn jealous

And I got this stupid ringing in my ears and the muffling that just won't quit. I've been to many concerts, but it's the first time the ringing persists even in the next morning. Do you think it'll go away or should I sue Iggy Pop for permanent ear damage? You don't have to pay me darling, just let me join the tour... Oh God, another addiction on its way...

The setlist:

1. Loose
2. Down on the street
3. 1969
4. I wanna be your dog (note: never before have I seen so many people so willingly wanting to become the dogs of somebody oh, and someone threw a plastic dog, a toy, on stage during this!)
5. TV Eye
6. Dirt
7. Real Cool Time
8. No Fun
9. 1970
10. Funhouse
11. Skull Ring
12. Dead Rockstar
13. Little electric chair
14. OOops, don't remember which one this was Sorry!
15. I wanna be your dog, once more.

There was no "real" encore actually... They never left the stage, and so people didn't leave after the gig was over. The sound engineers were covering the consoles and people were taking the drums down, and the crowd was still there not moving!

*sigh* it was good... NOW WILL THIS EAR RINGING GO?
[Edited by FotiniD]
7th July 2004 04:55 AM
Gazza Nice review. Thanks for posting. Sounds like youve had a lot of fun there in the last few days!
7th July 2004 06:35 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Sounds like youve had a lot of fun there in the last few days!

True! I'm becoming addicted to it
7th July 2004 07:35 AM
Factory Girl Thanks, FotiniD-great review. Iggy is "Raw Fucking Rower".

As for the ringing in your ears, it may go away eventually. Last time I saw Iggy was in 2001, and it was so LOUD, that when you do lose some of the hearing, its SWEET RELIEF....AAAARGH.

I've seen Iggy a total of 5 times, and he's always been great. I think my favorite Iggy shows were in Hammerjacks, a biker bar in Baltimore, MD. I also saw Alice In Chains open for Iggy in Balto, MD. I saw Johhny Depp at an Iggy Show.

Thank God for Iggy, he is (in the words of FPM) an American Treasure.
7th July 2004 10:09 AM
FotiniD Yes Factory Girl, he does play too loud The ringing's still here.

Last night was so good I can't stop thinking about it. Hopefully it won't take forever for Iggy to play here again, he's a frequent visitor

Some pics from the gig:

http://www.avopolis.gr/live/default.asp?ID=453
7th July 2004 02:34 PM
Factory Girl FotiniD, get the "Live In Detroit 2003" Ig & Stooges dvd. You'll enjoy it!
7th July 2004 02:40 PM
Joey Thanks FotiniD
8th July 2004 02:36 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
FotiniD, get the "Live In Detroit 2003" Ig & Stooges dvd. You'll enjoy it!

Thanks for the suggestion Factory Girl, I've already ordered it along with a biography Oops, yes, it's yet another obsession. Got to love it!
8th July 2004 06:22 PM
Navin Good to know that you got to see the legendary Ig + the Stooges as a bonus....due for keeping the faith after losing out on seeing the Coop sometime back!!

The bands that you checked out in the last year - by coincidence happen to be my top three acts of all time: The Stones, Alice Cooper, & Iggy Pop.