ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Keithfucius say

oooooh... aaaaaah... Thanks Master Keithfucius!

Scanned from the cover of "Excellent and Unreleased"

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 50 Best Rock Intros Return to archive
5th July 2004 08:45 AM
Lazy Bones I've only posted the top 10 (as the Stones take 7 of them!). The rest can be found, here:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/ae/content/auto/epaper/editions/sunday/arts_entertainment_044e277375a2504f00cd.html

(link found via expectingrain.com)

10. Immigrant Song, Led Zeppelin. Jimmy Page's unforgettable riff, then Robert Plant's banshee yell: "Ah-aaa-aaaaaaaa-ah!"

9-3: Honky Tonk Women, Sympathy For The Devil, Start Me Up, Gimme Shelter, Paint It Black, Monkey Man, Satisfaction, The Rolling Stones. The greatest openers in the history of rock. Why do Stones songs last? Because those lead-off guitar riffs, courtesy of Keith Richards and the great Bill Wyman-Charlie Watts rhythm section, hook deep, deep into your brain. They kick a--. Let's face it: This whole list could be Stones songs.

2. Like A Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan. The snare drum shot that changed rock. With that one crack of the drumstick, followed by Al Kooper's circus organ and Dylan's -- gasp -- electric guitar, the second wave of '60s rock kicked into high gear. How does it feel?

1. A Hard Day's Night, The Beatles. The guitar chord heard 'round the world. Musicologists still debate what the chord is, where exactly George Harrison fingered the frets on his 12-string guitar. Whatever. That "Bwwwaaaaang" rocks.

5th July 2004 09:04 AM
Gazza An amazing indictment of Florida music taste in that despite an initially apparent (but phony) enthusiasm for the Stones, the critics still simply cant bring themselves to favour them over the hated Beatles.

Talk about building our hopes up. I am disgusted and I hope Josh is too.

Its clear that the Stones are despised by 99.9% of the Beatle-loving population of Florida. They should boycott the state on their next tour.
[Edited by Gazza]
5th July 2004 11:01 AM
Scottfree 1. Gimmie Shelter
2. Everything else
5th July 2004 11:15 AM
BILL PERKS MEAN STREETS- VAN HALEN
5th July 2004 11:56 AM
ThatsWhatISay WTF?!?! Hard Day's Night greatest opener in the history of Rock?! LOL! This must be a joke. It sounds like dissonant shit!! I really can't believe they put it on top of those 7 Stones songs listed...Right Gaza, Florida should really be boycotted on the next tour!
I'm really frustrated now...
5th July 2004 03:05 PM
ResidentMule I second Mean Street. they could've at least swapped that in for Satisfaction. CYHMK is another that makes me wonder how people get excited when they hear Satisfaction
but I'd probably have to say Shelter owns them all
5th July 2004 09:34 PM
Poplar
Misty Mountain Hop - for god's sake!!!
5th July 2004 09:41 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Poplar wrote:

Misty Mountain Hop - for god's sake!!!

Yeah, things like that.... things like SMOKE ON THE WATER FOR THE CHRIST'S SAKE!!!! GODDAMNIT!!!

Not to mention all the Keith's library, FOR THE GOD'S SAKE!

And I'm wondering how they could choose "Hard Day's Night", instead of Day Tripper!

A big FUCK YOU to this list.
5th July 2004 09:50 PM
Sir Stonesalot Well, I can think of two, from a historical standpoint, that should be included on that list somewhere.

Holiday In The Sun-Sex Pistols
Smells Like Teen Spirit-Nirvana

Matters not if you like the bands or not, those fat Steve Jones chords over the tramping of jack boots was a signature moment in rock & roll...it was the death knell of disco and prog. And that intro to Smells Like Teen Spirit changed the way guitar was played for an entire decade...and sounded the death knell of hair metal and shoe gazing.

5th July 2004 10:47 PM
Cant Catch Me Gimme Shelter -- The Stones

Sweet Jane (live, from Rock 'n' Roll Animal) -- Lou Reed

St. Stephen -- Grateful Dead (from Live Dead)

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed -- The Allman Brothers (one of the only 10 + minutes intros I know of. Hell, the whole song is an extended intro)
5th July 2004 11:54 PM
Poplar
ST. Stephen .... GREAT ONE!!!

6th July 2004 12:13 AM
ResidentMule
quote:
Cant Catch Me wrote:
In Memory of Elizabeth Reed -- The Allman Brothers (one of the only 10 + minutes intros I know of. Hell, the whole song is an extended intro)

great fucking song, but I think the word your looking for is "instrumental"

just fucking with ya

I didn't see the whole list, but since its a "Top 50" I'd bet that Smells Like Teen Spirit would definitly be in there, though I'm thankful it didn't make #1. I think that song had a bigger effect on people who DIDN'T play guitar as opposed to those that did - but I won't say that they haven't had a huge impact, because all I hear in modern rock anymore are Nirvana and AC/DC
6th July 2004 02:53 AM
Jumacfly Lalalala love you from the pixies...
6th July 2004 02:53 AM
Jumacfly Lalalala love you from the pixies...
6th July 2004 05:08 AM
UGot2Rollme
quote:
Cant Catch Me wrote:
Sweet Jane (live, from Rock 'n' Roll Animal) -- Lou Reed

Ditto - that's what first came to mind for me, too.
7th July 2004 04:19 PM
Joey " 34. I Can See for Miles, The Who. Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Keith Moon: The only man who played his drums like Hendrix played the lead guitar. A tour-de-force display of raw percussive power kicks off the Who's best song. "

Amen !

Moonie
7th July 2004 10:35 PM
Navin 1. Jumpin' Jack Flash - Stones
2. Brown Sugar - Stones
3. Highwire - Stones
4. Flip the Switch - Stones
5. Under My Wheels - Alice Cooper
6. Billion Dollar Babies - Alice Cooper
7. TV Eye - Iggy & The Stooges
8. Shock to the System - Billy Idol
9. Panama - Van Halen with DLR
10. Jean Genie - David Bowie with Mick Ronson
[Edited by Navin]
7th July 2004 11:20 PM
littleredrooster How could they omit:

Sunshine Of your Love..........CREAM
Purple Haze....................HENDRIX

????Roostah
8th July 2004 12:11 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The best intros

JJF (studio version)
Gimme Shelter (studio Version)

I think no other comes close
8th July 2004 12:36 AM
Bloozehound What and no Cat Scratch Fever ?!? The Nuge'il be pissed!

It's nice to see the Stones make some of these dumb lists once in a while, but A Hard Day's Night at #1 ?!? Bwhahaha !!

These lists are whack...
8th July 2004 06:45 AM
scratched Yep, those lists are pointless. Don't know if Stray Cat Blues was in the top 100 or not but that one never tires. The drone! The tension! The 'lady noises'! Mick's sneer! Charlie!
8th July 2004 09:18 AM
Joey
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
The best intros

JJF (studio version)
Gimme Shelter (studio Version)

I think no other comes close

Agree One Hundred Percent %
8th July 2004 09:21 AM
Jumping Jack Joey,

How about I Can't Explain? You make Pete cry!!!
8th July 2004 09:24 AM
Snappy McJack Jane's Addicition - Been Caught Stealing!!!!!!!!!!
8th July 2004 02:02 PM
Joey
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Joey,

How about I Can't Explain? You make Pete cry!!!

Yeah .....................thanks J.J.

I forgot about that one ( and 5:15 ain't too damn bad either )

Jacky !
8th July 2004 03:54 PM
Snappy McJack Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart - STP
8th July 2004 05:54 PM
Martha Jumpin' Jack Flash makes my jumpin' jack flash each and EVERY time. That's all I need to know.

<----------------damn straight girlie!

Yeah I agree these lists are whack. But it's fun to talk about all the different opening riffs. Sort of a brain teaser. A walk-about for the mind.

The Nug WILL be pissed! LOL
8th July 2004 07:01 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
I've always been kind of partial to HTW myself or Last Time.