ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Keithfucius say

oooooh... aaaaaah... Thanks Master Keithfucius!

Scanned from the cover of "Excellent and Unreleased"

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Dead Play "Last Time" Once Again! Return to archive
2nd July 2004 07:49 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! The Dead have broken out �Last Time� once again! This is the first time that they have played it since Garcia�s passing in 95�. This version was straight up, balls to the wall rock�n with Warren Haynes playing some very tasty slide guitar. I was just wondering if anyone from this board will be catching any of the shows this summer?
The band is extremely tight and mixing it up really good. Some shows when they start the 2nd set, they will play non-stop for almost two hours before stopping, weaving in and out of songs with such ease it's almost magical. While breaking out some great GD older stuff, they have done a great job of giving some cool covers a hell'va spin, and they've only played 12 shows so far. Here's a few of the covers they've done so far this summer.
The Stones- Last Time
Beatles- Lucy In the Sky, Strawberry Fields, Tomorrow Never Knows, Blackbird
Pink Floyd- Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Dylan- Queen Jane Approximately, Like A Rolling Stone, All Along The Watchtower, It�s all Over Now Baby Blue
The Byrds- Eight Miles High
Miles Davis- Milestones
Zeppelin- Over The Hills And Far Away
Chuck Berry- Johnny B. Goode, Around-n-Around (Dead have done these for many years)
Van Morrison- Into the Mystic
Rev. Gary Davis- Death Don�t Have No Mercy
Buddy Holly- Not Fade Away (Although this is a long time Dead staple also)
John Coltrane- Love Supreme
Traffic- Dear Mr. Fantasy, Low Sparks Of High Heeled Boys
U2-One

If you get a chance you should certainly see this band. Along with The Stones, they are the last of the great bands of the 60�s. Yeah, I know it�s not The Grateful Dead, but Jerry was only one member and the rest of these great musicians are still carrying the torch and making some damn great music! Warren Haynes is simply an outstanding addition to the band and does a very good job on some of the Garcia numbers. It�s a 3-� hour psychedelic, rockin roll rollercoster ride that you shouldn�t miss!
To check out all the summer dates go to http://www.philzone.com

2nd July 2004 11:51 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Happy Motherfucker!! wrote:
The Dead have broken out �Last Time� once again! This is the first time that they have played it since Garcia�s passing in 95�. This version was straight up, balls to the wall rock�n with Warren Haynes playing some very tasty slide guitar. I was just wondering if anyone from this board will be catching any of the shows this summer?
The band is extremely tight and mixing it up really good. Some shows when they start the 2nd set, they will play non-stop for almost two hours before stopping, weaving in and out of songs with such ease it's almost magical. While breaking out some great GD older stuff, they have done a great job of giving some cool covers a hell'va spin, and they've only played 12 shows so far. Here's a few of the covers they've done so far this summer.
The Stones- Last Time
Beatles- Lucy In the Sky, Strawberry Fields, Tomorrow Never Knows, Blackbird
Pink Floyd- Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Dylan- Queen Jane Approximately, Like A Rolling Stone, All Along The Watchtower, It�s all Over Now Baby Blue
The Byrds- Eight Miles High
Miles Davis- Milestones
Zeppelin- Over The Hills And Far Away
Chuck Berry- Johnny B. Goode, Around-n-Around (Dead have done these for many years)
Van Morrison- Into the Mystic
Rev. Gary Davis- Death Don�t Have No Mercy
Buddy Holly- Not Fade Away (Although this is a long time Dead staple also)
John Coltrane- Love Supreme
Traffic- Dear Mr. Fantasy, Low Sparks Of High Heeled Boys
U2-One

If you get a chance you should certainly see this band. Along with The Stones, they are the last of the great bands of the 60�s. Yeah, I know it�s not The Grateful Dead, but Jerry was only one member and the rest of these great musicians are still carrying the torch and making some damn great music! Warren Haynes is simply an outstanding addition to the band and does a very good job on some of the Garcia numbers. It�s a 3-� hour psychedelic, rockin roll rollercoster ride that you shouldn�t miss!
To check out all the summer dates go to http://www.philzone.com

The songs title is called "The Last Time".
Thought I'd let you know.
Ian
3rd July 2004 12:25 AM
Happy Motherfucker!! You didn't need to tell me that, it was just an abbreviation. I'm sure that everyone here knows that, so no need to be technical.
That�s like saying, they did Sympathy instead of Sympathy for the Devil or
Honky Tonk, JJF, SMU, CAGWYW, CYHMK
We all get it!

3rd July 2004 01:19 AM
IanBillen
quote:
You didn't need to tell me that, it was just an abbreviation. I'm sure that everyone here knows that, so no need to be technical.
That�s like saying, they did Sympathy instead of Sympathy for the Devil or
Honky Tonk, JJF, SMU, CAGWYW, CYHMK
We all get it!

Alright. Just didn't know if you knew or wasn't sure is all.
No biggy.
Ian

3rd July 2004 08:07 AM
UGot2Rollme I haven't seen them since they were the Other Ones, but would really like to see how they sound with Mr. Haynes.
Can't believe they played Zeppelin and U2, though... don't know about those choices.

Anyway, I live in Switzerland now, and can't easily see them on their Wave that Flag tour this summer (bummer), but friends of mine are seeing them at the Gorge tomorrow night (with the Allman Bros!) and I will post their review.

Not Fade Away!
3rd July 2004 12:35 PM
Scottfree Thanks guys.......
3rd July 2004 08:16 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! >>Can't believe they played Zeppelin and U2, though... don't know about those choices<<

I haven't heard their version of the Zep tune, but "One" sounded very good. Warren was singing it and they certainly did it justice. It actually is a very good song, probably one of the best U2 songs. I have a great version of Johnny Cash doing it as well. I'm hoping that The Dead will break out "Satisfaction" once again!
The Grateful Dead and related bands (Jerry Garcia Band ect)
have also doing some very good takes on other Stones tunes throughout the years. A few to mention- Let's Spend The Night Together, Wild Horses (Bluegrass), Torn and Frayed and Dead Flowers
4th July 2004 11:42 AM
Gimme Shelter I saw them last Sunday and they rocked. They played "Into the Mystic" "After Midnight", "Over The Hills And Far Away", and also "Hell In a Bucket" "Sugar Mangnolia" and alot more. It was a very cool show.
4th July 2004 06:25 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! Happy 4th! I hope everyone has a great day! Here are a few show reviews and info if you're planning to attend a show this summer. Enjoy!

Resurrected Dead prove to have plenty of life left in them.

This incarnation of the Dead thrilled the crowd with its musicianship and professionalism. They wasted no time moving from tune to tune. (Danny Chan La/The Salt Lake Tribune)
By Dan Nailen
The Salt Lake Tribune

Dead fans who attended the band's Usana Amphitheatre show Tuesday are still waiting for an encore.
Even with the traditional show-ending last song folded into the second set rather than coming as an encore (due to an 11 p.m. curfew at the venue), surviving members of the Grateful Dead and their new bandmates delivered all a Deadhead could hope for: lengthy jams, intricate instrumental interplay and a set list spanning the band's four-decade history that even a casual fan could love.
The most noteworthy difference between this edition of The Dead and the Grateful Dead circa 1995, when Jerry Garcia died, is that the current incarnation seems like a much sleeker, more professional endeavor. Much of the between-song tuning and extraneous jamming is gone, replaced by a group that quickly moved from song to song with nary a pause.
Starting off with "Truckin'" and a cover of The Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows," the two new guitarists filling Garcia's slot on stage made their presence felt immediately, with Warren Haynes lending some tasty slide-guitar to the opener and Jimmy Herring ripping out a nice solo between songs. Haynes sang lead often during the show, sharing vocal duties with guitarist Bob Weir and bassist Phil Lesh through a first set that included takes on Otis Redding's "Hard to Handle," "Tennessee Jed," "Scarlet Begonias" and the euphoric set-closer, "Casey Jones."
The second set began with Weir and Haynes delivering an acoustic version of The Beatles' "Blackbird," and the band eventually worked its way into yet another Fab Four cut, "Come Together," bleeding it into "Wharf Rat" and "Eyes of the World" before drummers Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann took over the stage for what seemed like an abbreviated "Drums/Space," at least in relation to years past.
The closing salvo, post-"Space," showed that this incarnation of The Dead is unquestionably worth following, even if it's not quite the same as the Jerry days. The audience's energy built continually through the night, and the final push through "Sugaree" -- performed brilliantly by Haynes -- "Althea," Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away" and "Box of Rain" made for a dream trip through some of the Dead's strongest songs.
As long as this version of The Dead can deliver songs as strongly as it did Tuesday in West Valley, there's no sensible reason it should be put to rest quite yet.

The Dead Still Live For The Road
By Ray Waddell

Though there is more than a touch of gray evident these days, the members of the Dead are continuing their long, strange trip on a 34-date tour this summer.

Interviewed on its bus prior to a June 12 Bonnaroo festival appearance that began its tour, the Dead -- which boasts the remaining members of the Grateful Dead -- appeared healthy, happy and enthusiastic about yet another trek.

Bassist Phil Lesh says the band worked up 162 songs for the tour and rehearsed more than they ever did in the early days of the Grateful Dead. "In the old days we didn't rehearse, and now we rehearse like crazy, man" drummer Bill Kreutzmann says.

"We rehearse because it's as much fun as it is. The other reason is, we want to keep a certain level of professionalism," Lesh says, adding that his separate band (Phil Lesh & Friends) and guitarist Bob Weir's band (Ratdog) "don't do the songs the same way we do in the Dead ... We just redefine them."

Founding fathers of a scene for which they take little credit -0 a vast, loosely organized community that brought more than 90,000 fans to Bonnaroo -- the Dead is still a force on the road. The band grossed $23 million and drew 500,000 to 33 shows in 2003, according to Billboard Boxscore.

With that kind of payout, rehearsing is almost their duty, Kreutzmann believes. "If a person is paying that much money, we owe it to them to do the best we possibly can," he says.

The Grateful Dead were second only to the Rolling Stones in touring revenue for the 1990s, at $285 million, according to Billboard Boxscore. That is even though they ceased touring after 1995 following the death of beloved guitarist and spiritual center Jerry Garcia.

Much of their lineup reunited for turn-of-the-millennium tours as the Other Ones under the Furthur banner, then took up the name the Dead for the blockbuster 2002 Terrapin Station shows, followed by the 2003 run.

The core Dead lineup of original members Mickey Hart, Lesh, Weir and Kreutzmann this year boasts the addition of jam-band iron man Warren Haynes, who is also a member of Gov't Mule and the Allman Brothers Band.

Though the Grateful Dead played stadiums in the '80s and '90s, these days the Dead prefers the more serene surroundings of festivals and outdoor amphitheaters. The band ended up in stadiums because they were the only places big enough to accommodate the crowds.

"We had a meeting where we said these guys just keep coming, and it became problematic," Hart recalls. "Grateful Dead became way, way, way over the top as far as people trying to get in, way beyond our expectations."

Many of the practices of the band's earlier era, such as allowing fans to tape shows, have not disappeared. Indeed, many of today's jam bands have picked up much of the Dead's touring formula, which is ironic considering the way the Dead arrived at that formula.

"We didn't do it actually on purpose," Hart says. "We backed into it, all those good things like taping."

That's not to say the band members didn't have reasons for what they did. "It was all for a reason," Hart says. "The taping, for instance -- we could either let them come in and tape and take it with them, or we could become cops and take away their machines. So we had a meeting and said, 'We don't want to be cops!' So we let them do it."

Likewise, the way fans, dubbed Deadheads, follow the band from gig to gig is now common practice among jam band fans.

"The fans did it," Hart says. "We didn't say, 'Come with machines.' We didn't say, 'Let there be Deadheads.' They created their own community."

The Dead remains enamored with performing. "What else can you do in your life that brings you this much pleasure? Name me one thing," Lesh says.

"Food, sex and music," an obviously hungry Hart interjects. "Food, the necessity of life. Let's eat."

Hours after the Dead were fed, they ruled the Bonnaroo stage until after 2 a.m., treating the throng to such standards as "Tennessee Jed" and unexpected covers like Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond."

It seems a touch of gray does kind of suit them anyway!

5th July 2004 04:35 AM
UGot2Rollme Here's a review from a friend who was at the July 4th show:

SET ONE COMMENTS: They opened with Shakedown Street which was a pretty incredible rendition. But, those were the Dead lyrics I first learned and the song has WAY to much meaning in addition, so I could be biased. Cumberland Blues was exceedingly nice with the harder rock twang to it. Casey Jones was a speed competition and I've certainly heard better. However, one of the folks I saw the show with thought it was very appropriate and rather preferred it to other versions that he had heard. I must admit, I think I have more versions to choose from, but I also must keep in mind that he is a Bobby Head and I am a Jerry Head, and thus, very different schools of thought. You might agree with him more.
SET TWO COMMENTS: The break was so incredibly long that Carter, my friend's eleven year old son, thought that the second set was a different band. It was only his second show, but I TOTALLY understand why he had that impression. Gone are the standard short break being twenty minutes and a long break being thirty. It was more like an hour. 'Tho, come to think of it, they did not announce that they were on any kind of a break, so maybe the "rules" still apply. It most likely has to do with Warren being inboth bands. He also opens solo for many shows. The first Playin' in the Band was another speed contest for me, if I remember correctly. If I am remembering correctly then this was the song that seemed to also be off tempo. It was odd and disjointed as it was really noticable to me and my friend Dawn. Again, the other folks did not seem to mind, either out of ignorance or preference, I'm unsure. If I am not remembering the song correctly, these comments are appropriate to another set 2 song. Lots of flashing lights that brought me back to Rush when seen at the same venue (The Gorge at George), only in the lighting though. I guess there are styles of everything that you come to expect and when it is different, you will have an opinion one way or another (hey, that would make a great song lyric!) Night of a thousand stars was the best I ever heard and really took to the more rock format of this line up. Cryptical->Other->Lady->Terrapin was great as ever but, again, in a more rockish format then I had ever heard. It was nice to get another take. It's always been one of the things that I enjoy about the ever changing "and friends." Did you ever hear the NY shows that had Branford Marsalis? Very jazzy and it flows like crazy. Drums->Space (the only thing that Paul can identify! We now teaching him the difference between Jam 1 and 2!) was actually pretty good. Although that is usually the time I choose to head to the bathroom, I hung around and took a short "nap". Either it has just been so long that I've taken to actually enjoying it or I really enjoyed it because it was just long enough. It was the shortest I've ever heard. Maybe to make up for the long "intermission." Wheel was turning as ever (or perhaps this was the song that was off tempo) and when they finally went into the Playin' Reprise I was happy to have it done with. It kept appearing in bits and pieces throughout Cryp ->Reprise, though it certainly did not interfere with any of those songs. Lovelight was rockin and I can't even begin to tell you how great After Midnight was. WOW!
The show was really great in all ways. And so different. I already mentioned the understandable Southern Rock twang, odd break length, but what really stood out was the every other thing. There were great chunks of Warren singing with a Bobby moment here and there, and then a triple set of classic Bobby. No "Hah!" moments with his head thrown back in rapture. But it was enough classic Bobby to make me smile from ear to ear. That is, after all, what I go to see Bobby for in the second place.
5th July 2004 09:52 AM
Happy Motherfucker!! It sounds like you had a great time. You mentioned the lights being different from the past? I don't know how the light show is this time around, but Candace Brightman is still at the controls, as she's been for the last 20 years or so. I'm waiting patiently on leg 2 to begin, as I will be catching shows in Cleveland, Bristow Va and Charlotte NC.
Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest places if you look at it right!
5th July 2004 01:24 PM
T&A Was also at the Gorge show on the 3rd....incredible... from 4 pm to 12:30 a.m....some of the most sublime and blissful musical moments in memory. Hunter, ABB and The Dead...plus the gorgeous setting of the sun setting in the Columbia River Gorge. What more could you hope for!?
6th July 2004 03:24 AM
Happy Motherfucker!! I've never been to that part of the country, but I can just imagine how cool it must be to see a show in that area. Glad you had a great time!
7th July 2004 05:37 AM
Zack You know what's funny? Most every Dead cover of the Stones has come from Out of Our Heads? (I know not all are J/R originals). The Last Time, Let The Good Times Roll, Satisfaction. Only other I can think of is It's All Over Now.
7th July 2004 05:11 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! Good point, although many of these tunes The Stones and The Dead have been playing for many years. It's All Over Now, LTGTR, Little Red Rooster, Note Fade Away.
8th July 2004 01:07 AM
T&A Jerry covered LSTNT and Moonlight Mile...
9th July 2004 01:39 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! >>Jerry covered LSTNT and Moonlight Mile...<<
I've never heard Jerry do Moonlight Mile, if this is so, what show, year was it done? He did a song called Midnight Moonlight which is kind of Bluegrass flavored. Could this be the song you're refereing too?
9th July 2004 02:34 PM
glencar Into The Mystic - is their version any good?
9th July 2004 02:39 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Into The Mystic - is their version any good?

9th July 2004 02:57 PM
glencar Then why answer, post total whore?
9th July 2004 05:42 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! >>Into The Mystic - is their version any good?<<

Well, yes. The Dead have an uncanny way of turning cover tunes into something of their own. Warren is singing and playing some great slide guitar on this number. Damn I can't wait until the east coast tour starts!

9th July 2004 09:18 PM
Gimme Shelter Into The Mystic sounded good in Marysville a couple of weeks ago. I also them back in '93 in Moutainview and they played "It's All Over Now"
10th July 2004 03:15 AM
T&A Mystic is more a Warren cover than a Dead cover. He has played it with virtually ever band he's been with - Mule, Dead, Allmans...he sings it very well, too...
10th July 2004 03:16 AM
T&A No, Jerry covered Moonlight Mile several times circa 1976 - I have a couple of versions - very nice...long, drawn-out...10 minutes or so...
10th July 2004 03:34 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
>>Jerry covered LSTNT and Moonlight Mile...<<
I've never heard Jerry do Moonlight Mile, if this is so, what show, year was it done? He did a song called Midnight Moonlight which is kind of Bluegrass flavored. Could this be the song you're refereing too?

dates when jerry played Moonlight Mile:
2-13-1976 Jerry Garcia Band Keystone, Berkeley, CA
2-14-1976 Jerry Garcia Band Keystone, Berkeley, CA
2-15-1976 Jerry Garcia Band Sophie's, Palo Alto, CA
2-21-1976 Jerry Garcia Band La Paloma Theater, Encinitas, CA Late Show
2-26-1976 Jerry Garcia Band Del Mar Theater, Santa Cruz, CA Late Show
3-3-1976 Jerry Garcia Band Lane County Fairgrounds, Eugene, OR
3-5-1976 Jerry Garcia Band Paramount Theatre, Portland, OR
3-6-1976 Jerry Garcia Band Moore's Egyptian Theater, Seattle, WA
3-13-1976 Jerry Garcia Band Finney Chapel (Oberlin College), Oberlin, OH
3-30-1976 Jerry Garcia Band Calderone Concert Hall, Hempstead, NY Late Show
4-2-1976 Jerry Garcia Band Capitol Theater, Passaic, NJ Late Show

dates when jerry played Let's Spend the Night Together:
10-26-1975 Jerry Garcia Band Center Theater (State University of New York), Buffalo, NY
10-27-1975 Jerry Garcia Band Bailey Hall (Cornell University), Ithaca, NY
10-28-1975 Jerry Garcia Band Beacon Theater, New York, NY Early Show
10-31-1975 Jerry Garcia Band Tower Theatre, Upper Darby, PA Late Show
11-1-1975 Jerry Garcia Band Capitol Theater, Passaic, NJ Late Show
11-2-1975 Jerry Garcia Band Constitution Hall, Washington, DC
11-8-1975 Jerry Garcia Band Keystone, Berkeley, CA
11-18-1975 Jerry Garcia Band Keystone, Berkeley, CA
11-21-1975 Jerry Garcia Band Auditorium Theater, Chicago, IL
11-22-1975 Jerry Garcia Band St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN
11-23-1975 Jerry Garcia Band Macky Auditorium (University of Colorado), Boulder, CO
11-29-1975 Jerry Garcia Band Keystone, Berkeley, CA
12-20-1975 Jerry Garcia Band Winterland Arena, San Francisco, CA
1-25-1976 Jerry Garcia Band Club Front, San Rafael, CA
1-28-1976 Jerry Garcia Band Keystone, Berkeley, CA
1-27-1989 Jerry Garcia Band Orpheum Theatre, San Francisco, CA
1-28-1989 Jerry Garcia Band Orpheum Theatre, San Francisco, CA
3-3-1989 Jerry Garcia Band Orpheum Theatre, San Francisco, CA
3-4-1989 Jerry Garcia Band Orpheum Theatre, San Francisco, CA
9-16-1989 Jerry Garcia Band Poplar Creek Music Theatre, Hoffman Estates, IL
12-1-1989 Jerry Garcia Band The Warfield, San Francisco, CA
2-4-1990 Jerry Garcia Band The Warfield, San Francisco, CA
4-15-1990 Jerry Garcia Band The Warfield, San Francisco, CA
6-13-1990 Jerry Garcia Band The Warfield, San Francisco, CA
11-13-1990 Jerry Garcia Band Wiltern Theatre, Los Angeles, CA
11-16-1990 Jerry Garcia Band Wiltern Theatre, Los Angeles, CA
11-21-1990 Jerry Garcia Band The Warfield, San Francisco, CA
12-22-1990 Jerry Garcia Band San Francisco Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA
1-30-1991 Jerry Garcia Band The Warfield, San Francisco, CA
3-2-1991 Jerry Garcia Band The Warfield, San Francisco, CA
4-20-1991 Jerry Garcia Band The Warfield, San Francisco, CA
4-21-1991 Jerry Garcia Band The Warfield, San Francisco, CA
5-22-1991 Jerry Garcia Band The Warfield, San Francisco, CA
11-7-1991 Jerry Garcia Band Capital Center, Landover, MD
11-12-1991 Jerry Garcia Band The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA
11-16-1991 Jerry Garcia Band Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
4-30-1992 Jerry Garcia Band The Warfield, San Francisco, CA
5-2-1992 Jerry Garcia Band The Warfield, San Francisco, CA

please note that all those performances are NOT by the Grateful Dead, but rather Jerry's side bands...

Nicky Hopkins played keys through the later half of 1975.