ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Keithfucius say

oooooh... aaaaaah... Thanks Master Keithfucius!

Scanned from the cover of "Excellent and Unreleased"

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Euro 2004 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15th June 2004 04:23 PM
caro LOL. Since they were so obliging to fulfill my prediction, I'm for Holland from now on...
15th June 2004 04:24 PM
Angiegirl Caro, you win the eternal thanks of everyone in my neighborhood, I'm hearing fireworks, yells and horn honking all around just for you! I guess I'm not the only one watching the game...
15th June 2004 04:24 PM
Monkey Woman BTW, you should win a 10k posts number!
15th June 2004 04:28 PM
caro Hehe! Commenting on things I don't know sh*t about is one of my great pleasures in life. Watching soccer on the radio is a weird occupation anyways. Are y'all watching TV?
15th June 2004 04:30 PM
Monkey Woman Web reports, while surfing.
15th June 2004 04:30 PM
Angiegirl I am, but I'm doing computer things while the tv is on, I just watch when I hear yelling
90 minutes of football is too much, a waste of time anyway. still I want to know what happens.
15th June 2004 04:33 PM
Angiegirl The end. Sanity returns to this country. I hope.
15th June 2004 05:01 PM
Joey
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
The end. Sanity returns to this country. I hope.

Peace Angie
15th June 2004 05:08 PM
stewed & Keefed Germany 1-1 Holland

Ruud van Nistelrooy rescued a point for Holland with an 81st minute equaliser against their arch-rivals.
Germany had led through a Torsten Frings free-kick from the left which looped over Dutch keeper Edwin van der Sar and flew in off the back post.

Holland were in disappointing form but burst into life in the closing stages.

Van Nistelrooy brilliantly turned in Andy van der Meyde's cross at the near post to level, and Philip Cocu's header almost snatched a late victory.

Dutch coach Dick Advocaat had replaced the injured Michael Reiziger with Johnny Heitinga at right-back, and chose Boudewijn Zenden instead of Arjen Robben on the left of midfield.

There were no surprises in the German line-up, with their captain, goalkeeper Oliver Kahn celebrating his 35th birthday with his 70th cap.

The Dutch made a bright start in front of their legions of fans, creating the first opening inside two minutes when van Nistelrooy just failed to latch on to Cocu's chip over the defence.

But the Germans quickly stifled Holland's attacking threat, and begain to threaten themselves.

Their first meaningful shot on goal came on 19 minutes when Christian Worns met a cross from the left, but his scuffed effort was easily collected by van der Sar.

Van der Sar was soon in action again, tipping Kevin Kuranyi's 25-yard shot over the bar, and from the resulting corner Worns sent a downward header bouncing high and wide.

A teasing Frings free-kick almost found Worns on the edge of the six-yard box - but Germany were not to be denied.

Cocu fouled Philip Lahm on the right and Frings stepped up to deliver a curling free-kick that looped over van der Sar and a crowd of players - and dropped in off the back post.

Van Nistelrooy was a virtual spectator by this stage, but despite this Holland remained dangerous.

Just before half-time Rafael van der Vaart seized upon a loose ball on the edge of the area and sent a low shot fizzing just wide of Kahn's left-hand post.

Advocaat brought on Marc Overmars and Wesley Sneijder at half-time to try and rejuvenate his ailing side, but it was Germany who were the first to threaten.

On 54 minutes Kurani was only inches away from meeting Bernd Schneider's teasing cross with the Holland defence again exposed. At the other end the Dutch tried their luck with long range shots from Sneijder and Giovanni van Bronckhorst but only showed real signs of improvement after the hour mark.

A fierce Overmars effort on 74 minutes was the reward for some promising approach play - but Kahn dived acrobatically to palm the shot away.

That encouraged the Dutch however, and they grabbed an equaliser with 10 minutes left when van der Meyde won possession and swung in a low cross which van Nistelrooy met at the near post to steer a first-time shot past Kahn.

KEY MOMENTS
30 mins: Frings' free-kick puts Germany ahead
81 mins: van Nistelrooy levels for Holland
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Germany: Kahn, Friedrich, Worns, Nowotny, Lahm, Schneider (Schweinsteiger 67), Hamann, Baumann, Ballack, Frings (Ernst 79), Kuranyi (Bobic 85).
Subs Not Used: Lehmann, Hildebrand, Hinkel, Klose, Brdaric, Kehl, Jeremies, Ziege, Podolski.

Booked: Kuranyi, Ballack.

Holland: Van der Sar, Heitinga (Van Hooijdonk 74), Stam, Bouma, Van Bronckhorst, Davids (Sneijder 45), Cocu, Zenden (Overmars 45), Van der Vaart, van Nistelrooy, Van der Meyde.
Subs Not Used: Westerveld, Waterreus, Reiziger, Kluivert, Makaay, de Boer, Robben, Bosvelt.

Booked: Cocu, Stam.

Att: 46,000

Referee: Anders Frisk (Sweden).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OFFICIAL STATS BY UEFA
Category Germany Holland
Total shots 16 14
Shots on target 5 6
Possession 48% 52%
Corners won 5 7
Fouls committed 13 18
Offsides 1 0
Bookings 2 2
Sent Off 0 0

15th June 2004 06:09 PM
F505 Our national team played very bad; only the last 15 minutes were okay. The rest of the tournament
I will support Sweden
15th June 2004 06:25 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
jb wrote:
Good luck to all the teams!!! I guess England is favored b/c they have the greatest soccer play in the world, David Beckham.

LOL
16th June 2004 03:54 AM
stewed & Keefed Greece v Spain

GROUP A

Venue: Bessa stadium, Porto
Date/time: Wed, 16 June, 1700 BST
Referee: Lubos Michel (Slovakia)

TEAM NEWS
Greece coach Otto Rehhagel will wait until the last minute to name his team to face Spain but he is not expected to change the side who shocked Portugal.

Georgios Karagounis (ankle) and Giourkas Seitaridis (leg) have sat out training but should be fit.

Spain boss Inaki Saez is set to make two changes with Xabi Alonso and Fernando Torres tipped to replace Ruben Baraja and Fernando Morientes.

Joaquin is a doubt after a training injury left him with a swollen ankle.

Greece probable: Antonis Nikopolidis; Giourkas Seitaridis, Traianos Dellas, Angelis Basinas, Mihalis Kapsis, Panagiotis Fyssas; Stelios Giannakopoulos Giorgos Karagounis, Theodore Zagorakis; Zissis Vryzas, Angelos Charisteas.

Spain probable: Iker Casillas; Carles Puyol, Carlos Marchena, Ivan Helguera, Raul Bravo, David Albelda, Xabi Alonso, Joseba Etxeberria, Raul Gonzalez, Vicente Rodriguez, Fernando Morientes.

16th June 2004 03:56 AM
stewed & Keefed Russia v Portugal

GROUP A

Venue: Estadio Da Luz, Lisbon
Date/time: Wed, 16 June, 1945 BST
Referee: Terje Hauge (Norway)

TEAM NEWS
Russia will be without midfielder Alexander Mostovoi after coach Georgy Yartsev axed him from the squad for criticising his coaching methods.

Dmitri Loskov will step in while Alexei Bugaev is likely to replace the suspended Roman Sharanov.

Portugal coach Felipe Scolari is likely to reshuffle his squad after their opening defeat to Greece.

Defender Miguel Monteiro could replace the Paulo Ferreira while playmaker Deco is set for the nod ahead of Rui Costa.

Russia (probable team): Ovchinnikov, Evseev, Smertin, Bugaev, Sennikov, Radimov, Aldonin, Alenichev, Loskov, Izmailov, Bulykin.

Portugal (probable team): Ricardo, Ferreira, Andrade, Couto, Jorge, Costinha, Maniche, Figo, Deco, Pauleta, Gomes, Costa, Ronaldo.

[Edited by stewed & Keefed]
16th June 2004 07:06 AM
marko Hopefully Greece wins today.
16th June 2004 02:37 PM
stewed & Keefed Greece 1-1 Spain

Greece are eyeing a place in the last eight after prising a point from Group A favourites Spain.
Angelos Haristeas crashed home the equaliser for Greece after the Spanish defence failed to deal with a long ball.

Fernando Morientes gave Spain a first-half lead, collecting Raul's backheel to sidestep a defender and finish.

Ruben Baraja and Juan Carlos Valeron had late chances but the Greeks again showed their resilience.

Greece were forced to weather some early heavy weather as Spain stretched them across the back through wide men Vicente and Joseba Etxeberria.

Raul's pass put the overlapping Raul Bravo in behind the Greek defence but Haristeas hared back to get in a great challenge.

Carlos Marchena's late challenge on Giorgos Karagounis proved costly as his second yellow card of the tournament rules him out of Spain's final group game against Portugal.

Greece's stubborn defence was proving difficult to break down and when David Albelda's pass found Raul in space in the penalty box, an uncharacteristic heavy touch from the Real Madrid striker enabled Nikopolidis to gather.

Stelios Giannakopoulos's foul on Carles Puyol allowed Vicente to whip in a free-kick, and in stretching to make contact Ivan Helguera deflected the ball away from goal.

But there was no escape for Greece on 27 minutes when Fernando Morientes put Spain ahead.

Raul stepped in as Michalis Kapsis hesitated and his cute backheel found Morientes who sidestepped Katsouranis to rifle home from 12 yards.

Greece were at full stretch to keep out the rampant Spanish, but on 33 minutes Helguera and Marchena suffered a communication breakdown and escaped as Takis Fyssas's thumping shot was blocked by the unwitting Marchena.

Greece finished the first half strongly but the Spanish defence comfortably answered all the questions asked of it.

But they came close to an equaliser two minutes after the break when the ball fell invitingly to Zagorakis 23 yards out and his powerful drive flew inches wide.

Morientes' predatory instincts are on show as he fires Spain ahead

Zagorakis then caught Albelda in possession and strode forward to fire straight at Iker Casillas.

Raul spurned a chance to give Spain breathing space when he planted a free header over the bar from eight yards out.

And he was made to pay for that miss as Greece conjured up an equaliser on 65 minutes.

The Spanish defence failed to deal with a long hopeful ball from substitute Vasilios Tsiartis and Haristeas controlled before firing a shot over Casillas.

Greece defended desperately to preserve their hard-earned point and Nikopolidis produced a point-blank save to keep out Helguera's header, while sub Valeron saw his shot blocked by Kapsis.
KEY MOMENTS
27 mins: Morientes puts Spain ahead
47 mins: Greece's Zagorakis fires inches wide
65 mins: Haristeas levels for Greece

Greece: Nikopolidis, Seitaridis, Kapsis, Dellas, Fissas (Venetidis 86), Giannakopoulos (Nikolaidis 49), Zagorakis, Karagounis (Tsiartas 52), Katsouranis, Vryzas, Charisteas.
Subs not used: Basinas, Chalkias, Dabizas, Georgiadis, Goumas, Kafes, Katergiannakis, Lakis, Papadopoulos.

Booked: Katsouranis, Giannakopoulos, Karagounis, Zagorakis, Vryzas.

Spain: Casillas, Puyol, Helguera, Marchena, Bravo, Etxeberria (Joaquin 45), Albelda, Baraja, Vicente, Morientes (Valeron 65), Raul (Torres 80).
Subs not used: Alonso, Aranzubia, Canizares, Capdevila, Cesar, Gabri, Juanito, Luque, Xavi.

Booked: Marchena, Helguera.

Attendance: 25,444.

Referee: Lubos Michel (Slovakia).

16th June 2004 02:48 PM
jb Was that a "sell-out"?
16th June 2004 07:48 PM
stewed & Keefed Russia 0-2 Portugal

Portugal got their Euro 2004 campaign on the road as Russia's interest in the European Championship came to a halt.
The tournament hosts took an early lead after Deco fired the ball into the area and Porto team-mate Maniche swivelled to create space before firing home.

Just before half-time goalkeeper Sergei Ovchinnikov was sent off for handball.

To their credit Russia never gave up, though Luis Figo hit the post and late on substitute Rui Costa added a second, poking home Cristiano Ronaldo's cross.

Portugal had been sluggish in the extreme on Saturday in their surprise defeat to Greece, but Wednesday saw Luis Felipe Scolari's side adopt a brisker tempo, with Figo given a free role.

It was a tactical switch that brought the best of the Real Madrid player, notably just before the half-hour when he went on a slaloming run, bamboozling the Russian defence with a succession of stepovers, only for his cross to elude Pauleta.

I think Portugal will be lucky to get to the QF, but if they do manage it I can't see them getting to the semi-finals the way they are playing at the moment

Just past the hour Figo hit the woodwork after Portugal cut Russia apart with some swift one-touch passing involving Rui Costa, Deco and Nuno Gomes.

After Saturday's trauma, Portugal's nerves were quickly settled by that early goal from Maniche.

It was made in Porto, as Deco drilled the ball into the box, a cross Maniche deftly controlled, before turning in a flash past Vadim Evseev to send an unstoppable half-volley past Ovchinnikov.

Portugal swarmed forward and as Russia tried to stem the tide, Alexei Smertin and Evseev were booked for challenges on Deco and Figo.

Amid all this Portuguese domination, Russia were singularly unable to test Ricardo, their best efforts two tame Dmitry Loskov free-kicks.

A minute before the interval Russia's campaign turned into farce.

Ovchinnikov was red-carded after referee Terje Hauge adjudged he had handled Sennikov's woeful backpass under pressure from Pauleta.

Viacheslav Malafeev was brought on to replace Ovchinnikov and he was soon into action palming away Nuno Valente's rising shot and then a Deco free-kick.

Russia kept plugging away and Ricardo had to react quickly to beat away Andrei Karyaka's fierce shot and in the closing stages the Portuguese endured some tense moments as Georgy Yartsev's side pressed forward.

But in the 89th minute Rui Costa made the win safe, prodding home Ronaldo's cross from the left.

Despite the win, Portugal's Euro 2004 hopes still hang in the balance and Scolari's side will have to win Sunday's final group game against Iberian rivals Spain.

KEY MOMENTS
7 mins: Maniche gives Portugal an early lead
47 mins: Ovchinnikov is sent off
64 mins: Figo's shot comes off the post
88 mins: Rui Costa scores from close range

Russia: Ovchinnikov, Evseev, Smertin, Bugaev, Sennikov, Alenitchev, Aldonin (Malafeev 45), Loskov, Kariaka (Boulykin 79), Izmailov (Bystrov 72), Kerzhakov.
Subs not used: Akinfeev, Aniukov, Gusev, Kirichenko, Radimov, Semshov, Sychev.

Sent Off: Ovchinnikov (45).
Booked: Smertin, Evseev, Alenitchev.

Portugal: Ricardo, Miguel, Andrade, Ricardo Carvalho, Nuno Valente, Costinha, Figo (Ronaldo 78), Maniche, Deco, Simao (Rui Costa 63), Pauleta (Nuno Gomes 57).
Subs not used: Beto, Couto, Moreira, Paulo Ferreira, Petit, Postiga, Quim, Rui Jorge, Tiago.

Booked: Ricardo Carvalho, Deco.

Attendance: 58,000.

Referee: Terje Hauge (Norway).

[Edited by stewed & Keefed]
17th June 2004 04:33 AM
Honky Tonk Man ENGLAND 6 - 0 SWITZLAND

Just my prediction

Alex
17th June 2004 04:38 AM
Jumacfly England should win tonight....Swiss is the most pathetic team, closer to Bulgaria..
Does Gerrard play tonight??
17th June 2004 04:49 AM
stewed & Keefed
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
England should win tonight....Swiss is the most pathetic team, closer to Bulgaria..
Does Gerrard play tonight??

All we can pray for is that Heskey does not play.
17th June 2004 04:59 AM
stewed & Keefed England v Switzerland

GROUP B

Venue: Coimbra stadium, Coimbra City

Guide to the city and venue
Date/time: Thurs, 17 June, 1700 BST
Referee: Valentin Ivanov (Russia)

TEAM NEWS
England have been boosted by the news that midfielder Paul Scholes is fit after shaking off an ankle injury.

And John Terry has also returned to fitness and will replace Ledley King in the centre of defence.

Switzerland midfielder Fabio Celestini looks set to take over from the suspended Johann Vogel.

Celestini impressed Swiss coach Kuhn when he came off the bench in the second half of the 0-0 draw with Croatia on Sunday.

England (from): James, G Neville, A Cole, Campbell, King, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, Scholes, Owen, Rooney.

Switzerland (from): Stiel, Haas, Murat Yakin, Muller, Spycher, Huggel, Celestini, Wicky, H Yakin, Frei, Chapuisat.

17th June 2004 05:01 AM
stewed & Keefed GROUP B

Venue: Dr Magalhaes Pessoa stadium, Leiria

Guide to the city and venue
Date/time: Thur, 17 June, 1945 BST
Referee: Kim Milton Nielsen (Denmark)

TEAM NEWS
Croatia assistant coach Drazen Ladic has hinted at a squad rotation - with defender Igor Tudor returning after serving a suspension.

Dario Simic injured a thigh against the Swiss but is hoping to be fit.

France trio Thierry Henry, William Gallas and Claude Makelele should all shake off minor knocks.

French captain Marcel Desailly, having recovered from a knee injury, hinted on Wednesday he may return for his Jacques Santini's side against Croatia.

Croatia (from): Butina, Simic, Tudor, Simunic, N Kovac, Zivkovic, R Kovac, Rapaic, Mornar, Olic, Bjelica, Sokota, Prso.

France (probable): Barthez, Gallas, Thuram, Silvestre, Lizarazu, Pires, Vieira, Makelele, Zidane, Henry, Trezeguet.

17th June 2004 05:07 AM
Jumacfly I hope Owen will wake up tonight...Heskey is a great player....on playstation !

good luck England

cheers

JU
17th June 2004 06:16 AM
Zeeta Sven is going to play th diamond formation!! We're fucked!

I reckon it will be 1-1 if Sven plays this tatics - why must he toy with the team in a must win game!?!?
17th June 2004 06:30 AM
Honky Tonk Man Heskey is just a big lump. There are much better English strikers out there who are not in the squad.

England SHOULD win tonight, but maybe my 6-0 prediction was a little off the mark! I predict 9-0!
17th June 2004 06:47 AM
F505 If Engeland don't win this evening they are out. Seeing them play against France I doubt if they will reach the quarter finals.
[Edited by F505]
17th June 2004 06:48 AM
F505 If Engeland don't win this evening they are out. Seeing them play against France I doubt if they will reach the quarter finals.
17th June 2004 07:09 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
F505 wrote:
If Engeland don't win this evening they are out. Seeing them play against France I doubt if they will reach the quarter finals.

Bullshit...England did a good game, far better than Holland for instance ...
17th June 2004 07:15 AM
F505 well I didn't say Holland played well did I? Holland was even worse than Engeland... By the way: France didn't play well either
17th June 2004 07:22 AM
Honky Tonk Man England were great against France. A couple of REALLY STUPID mistakes cost them th egame. If Beckham had scored the penalty, they'd of won, but like I said earlier, you can go on about What if's? forever, results don't lie.

England will win tonight
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14