ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Keithfucius say

oooooh... aaaaaah... Thanks Master Keithfucius!

Scanned from the cover of "Excellent and Unreleased"

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Euro 2004 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
12th June 2004 06:29 AM
stewed & Keefed Portugal set for Euro 2004

Euro 2004 finally kicks off on Saturday, with host nation Portugal taking centre stage.
The opening ceremony will precede the first game of the tournament, a 1700 BST kick off between the Portuguese and underdogs Greece in Dragao, Porto.

The other Group A teams - Spain and Russia - then meet in Faro, before the action moves to Group B on Sunday, and the clash between France and England.

France are reigning champions, having beaten Italy to win the trophy in 2000.

Euro 2004 is the 12th tournament to be contested by Europe's elite national teams, the first held back in 1960.

All of the matches will take place in newly-rebuilt stadia, after the Portugese spent millions upgrading 10 venues.

Security has also been increased, amid fears England supporters will repeat the riots which marred the tournament in Belgium four years ago.

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson has urged fans to behave, after European football's governing body Uefa suggested teams could be thrown out of the competition if there is trouble.

However, most fans will be hoping to enjoy a true festival of football, which lasts three weeks, and culminates in the final in Lisbon on Sunday 4 July.

England are not tipped by the bookmakers to make it that far, with favourites France, Italy and hosts Portugal all heavily backed as the most likely winners.

But with captain Beckham and the likes of Steven Gerrard and Michael Owen all fit - unlike two years ago at the World Cup - coach Eriksson is confident.

The European Championship has not been kind to England historically - except for Euro 96 when they hosted the tournament - but BBC Sport football presenter, and former England star, Gary Lineker is hopeful.

"I may be biased, but England could and should cause at least a bit of a stir on the field in Portugal," he said.

"Their pool game against France will be the true indicator of how far Eriksson's side has come and how far they can go. David Beckham against club colleague Zinedine Zidane should make for a great duel."

12th June 2004 06:38 AM
F505 England will be eliminated soon, mark my words. The same for Holland (before I get accused of chauvinism). My favorites are France and Portugal
12th June 2004 07:23 AM
Moonisup
quote:
F505 wrote:
England will be eliminated soon, mark my words. The same for Holland (before I get accused of chauvinism). My favorites are France and Portugal

and germany
12th June 2004 07:44 AM
stewed & Keefed Portugal v Greece

GROUP A

Venue: Dragao Stadium, Porto
Date/time: Sat, 12 June, 1700 BST
Referee: Pierluigi Collina (Italy)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TEAM NEWS
Portugal striker Pauleta will start up front on his own as coach Luiz Felipe Scolari goes with a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Porto midfielder Maniche has been given the nod ahead of Armando Petit, and will partner his club-mate Costinha in the Portugese engine room.

Greece defender Traianos Dellas (muscle injury) is a worry but should be able to start, while Nikos Dabizas is almost certainly out with a back injury.

Striker Demis Nikolaidis was battling a calf injury but should be available.

Portugal: Ricardo; Paulo Ferreira, Fernando Couto, Jorge Andrade, Rui Jorge; Costinha, Maniche; Luis Figo, Rui Costa, Simao Sabrosa; Pauleta.

Greece (from): Nikopolidis; Seitaridis, Dellas, Kapsis, Fyssas; Giannakopoulos, Tsartas, Karagounis, Zagorakis; Vryzas, Charisteas.

12th June 2004 07:47 AM
Monkey Woman What do you bet Mick will be sitting in front of his TV screen for the days to come?
12th June 2004 07:53 AM
stewed & Keefed
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
What do you bet Mick will be sitting in front of his TV screen for the days to come?

Especially tomorrow's match France v England (big game).
12th June 2004 08:06 AM
Monkey Woman So true! For that one, he may even do a little trip to Portugal...
12th June 2004 08:31 AM
scratched I remember seeing Mick heartily cheering on our brave England boys against Germany in Euro '96. He might take a break from recording to go to a few games this time.

France 3, England 1.
12th June 2004 09:21 AM
Fabio Hot Stuff I'm sorry if I will strong with you english stones fans but
you ain't got no chance for me....
I'm italian but I only love my club --AS ROMA--- and so I only watch my players TOTTI and CASSANO, don't care bout the other.
I like much Holland and I think the final match will be for Italy-Holland or France...
Ciao!
I like England but I know much better mister Eriksson...
12th June 2004 11:31 AM
Jumacfly Don t forget to vote tomorrow my Euro pals before the game!!

good luck England, french players seems very involved in this Euro 2004, after their public spanking pathetic World Cup
Your defense will be very young tomorrow, dues to injuries of several players like Terry or.... Ferdinand (too bad he won t play cuz he s a great defenser), i think if Henry, Zizou and Pires are on top, we got a chance tomorrow.
but Rooney, Owen are very dangerous on forward, and i m pretty sure Beckham will be caught by Makelele and Vieira..
Anyway my fav team are France, Spain (remember the great Morientes seasin with Monaco in CL), of course Italy (as usual, hope the wind wont blow too strong in Portugal ) and Portugal..
my outsiders: Sweden,Czeck republic.

cheers and enjoy this great Euro 2004

Ju

rock n roll baby, Gecko live 6/6/2004
12th June 2004 12:45 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Don t forget to vote tomorrow my Euro pals before the game!!

Thanks for reminding us, Ju! Allez les Bleus & good luck Europe!
12th June 2004 02:54 PM
stewed & Keefed Portugal 1-2 Greece

Portugal made a nightmare start to their Euro 2004 campaign, suffering a shock defeat to unfancied Greece.
Greece stunned the Portuguese fans after six minutes when Georgios Karagounis pounced on a Paulo Ferreira mistake and unleashed a 25-yard strike.

Angelos Basinas converted a penalty just after half-time to make it 2-0 following Cristiano Ronaldo's clumsy foul on Giourkas Seitaridis.

Ronaldo headed home late on but it was merely a consolation for the hosts.

Thousands of expectant home fans packed into Porto's Estadio do Dragao, but their team appeared hamstrung by nerves.

Having qualified for the tournament as hosts, Portugal were playing their first competitive match since losing to South Korea in the World Cup group stages two years ago.

That, as well as the pressure of a nation's hopes, clearly showed as Portugal struggled initially.

Greece carved out the first clearcut chance after just a minute, Angelos Haristeas failing to reach a Zisis Vryzas cross from eight yards.

And only six minutes later, the home fans were stunned when Greece opened the scoring.

Chelsea transfer target Ferreira gave the ball away to Karagounis who was allowed a free run on goal before he despatched a sweet strike into the bottom left-hand corner.

With Vyrsas causing panic in the Portugal's defence, and the hosts' keeper Ricardo looking decidedly jittery, Greece might have extended their lead.

KEY MOMENTS
7 mins: Karagounis fires Greece into a shock lead
26 mins: Rui Costa misses a free header for Portugal
51 mins: Greece double their lead through Basinas' penalty
93 mins: Ronaldo fires home a late consolation
Haristeas sliced his shot after being put through by another defensive mistake by Portugal, and Panagiotis Fyssas saw his volley fly well over the bar.

After quarter of an hour, Portugal finally began to find their feet.

And on 26 minutes, Rui Costa should have been celebrating the equaliser but after Ferreira found him unmarked in the box, the AC Milan midfielder could only direct his header tamely wide.

Portugal continued to have more of the ball but were let down by a lack of urgency in the final third of the pitch.

But just after half an hour, Greek keeper Antonios Nikopolidis bravely dived at Sabrosa Simao's feet as the midfielder looked to apply the finishing touch after turning his marker.

Portugal boss Luis Felipe Scolari responded to a lacklustre first half by replacing Simao and the ineffectual Rui Costa with Deco and Ronaldo.

But matters only got worse for the hosts.

Ronaldo made a clumsy challenge on Seitaridis and Basinas confidently stroked the resulting penalty into the top right-hand corner.

Even two goals behind, Portugal's lone striker Pauleta remained isolated up front and Greece's defence had a relatively easy task.

With 12 minutes remaining, Deco might have put Greece under pressure but after shaking off his marker, he sent a powerful strike high and wide.

Ronaldo converted a Figo cross in injury-time but it was too late to save his side and Portugal left the pitch with their championship hopes in the balance after only one game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Portugal: Ricardo, Paulo Ferreira, Fernando Couto, Jorge Andrade, Rui Jorge, Costinha, Maniche; Luis Figo, Rui Costa, Simao Sabrosa, Pauleta.

Greece: Antonios Nikopolidis, Georgios Seitaridis, Traianos Dellas, Mihalis Kapsis, Panagiotis Fyssas, Angelis Basinas, Theodoros Zagorakis, Georgis Karagounis, Stylianos Giannakopoulos, Zisi Vryzas, Angelos Charisteas.

12th June 2004 05:01 PM
Monkey Woman Spain 1-0 Russia

(Reuters - 06-12-04, 22:50)
12th June 2004 08:50 PM
BillyBoll And look out for a certain Mr Gerrard, he may feature just a bit for England.

The fact that he is is a scouser may colour my judgement, just a little bit, but you wont see many players play with so much heart.....
[Edited by BillyBoll]
13th June 2004 01:44 AM
marko Greece was VERY good.Russia will have no chance againts them.
Italy-Germany is my guess,whos playing on final.
But don�t forget Croatia,and Checks.
13th June 2004 03:49 AM
Jacques Hi
I remember 98 Word Cup in France. We saw Mick in the public in Saint Etienne stadium.
This night England against English France.
Allez France
13th June 2004 05:59 AM
stewed & Keefed Spain 1-0 Russia

Juan Carlos Valeron fired Spain into pole position in Group A only 36 seconds after coming on as a second-half substitute against Russia.
Valeron took two touches before rifling home Carles Puyol's teasing cross from inside the Russian area.

Russia, who had gone closest to scoring in the first half when Dmitry Alenichev saw his shot blocked by Iker Casillas, could not find an equaliser.

And their misery was compounded when Roman Sharonov was sent off late on.

Portugal's surprise defeat to Greece in the opening match of the tournament gave both sides a huge incentive to go for victory in the second Group A game at the Estadio Algarve.

And it was Spain who made the brighter start, attacking the Russians with verve.

The in-form Fernando Morientes partnered Raul up front, and the pair rekindled their Real Madrid form of a couple of seasons ago by constantly probing Russia's defence.

Spain's Valencia contingent - Vicente, Carlos Marchena, David Albelda and Ruben Baraja - looked impressive with Vicente particularly dangerous on the left wing.

Inaki Saez's men bossed the midfield and constantly pressed their Russian opponents, who were missing key defenders Victor Onopko and Sergei Ignashevich.

KEY MOMENTS
35 mins: Fernando Morientes heads straight at Sergei Ovchinnikov
36 mins: Dmitry Alenichev forces a fine save from Iker Casillas
60 mins: Juan Carlos Valeron fires Spain into the lead
88 mins: Roman Sharonov is sent off for a second bookable offence

Initially, Russia struggled to cope with wave after wave of Spanish attack as they were pulled in every direction.

Yet Spain were unable to deliver a final product in the first half, epitomised by Joseba Etxeberria's scuffed shot after Morientes had headed straight at Sergei Ovchinnikov from Vicente's cross.

That let-off lifted Russia, who almost went on to score through Alenichev on the break.

Alenichev jinked past several Spain defenders before forcing a great save from Casillas as Russia reached half time in the ascendancy with Dmitry Bulykin, Alexander Mostovoi and Yevgeny Aldonin the focus of their attacks.

After the break, Raul squandered an excellent opportunity to give Spain the lead when he failed to even find the target with a header from Etxeberria's accurate cross from the right.

With an hour gone, Spain coach Saez opted to change his line-up, bringing on Valeron and Xabi Alonso for Morientes and Baraja.

And it proved a tactical masterstroke as Valeron rifled in Spain's opener with his first two touches after being set up by the excellent right-back Puyol, who had surged into Russia's area.

Rather than holding on to the 1-0 lead, Saez sought to extend Spain's advantage and replaced Raul with Atletico Madrid's exciting young prospect Fernando Torres.

The striker received a rapturous reception from Spain's fans and almost made an immediate impact, but his goalbound shot was blocked.

Russia's already depleted rearguard then suffered another blow in the dying minutes of the game when Sharonov was sent off for a second bookable offence for bringing down Torres on the edge of the area.

Spain: Casillas, Puyol, Marchena, Helguera, Bravo, Etxeberria, Albelda, Baraja (Alonso 59), Vicente, Raul (Torres 77), Morientes (Valeron 59).
Subs Not Used: Canizares, Aranzubia, Capdevila, Luque, Gabri, Cesar, Joaquin, Xavi, Juanito.

Booked: Baraja, Marchena, Albelda.

Russia: Ovchinnikov, Evseev, Smertin, Sharonov, Sennikov, Gusev (Radimov 45), Alenitchev, Aldonin (Sychev 68), Mostovoi, Izmailov (Kariaka 74), Boulykin.
Subs Not Used: Malafeev, Akinfeev, Semshov, Kerzhakov, Aniukov, Kirichenko, Bystrov, Loskov, Bugaev.

Sent Off: Sharonov (88).
Booked: Gusev, Sharonov, Smertin, Aldonin, Radimov.

Attendance: 30,000.

Referee: Urs Meier (Switzerland).

13th June 2004 06:03 AM
stewed & Keefed England ready for France

FRANCE v ENGLAND

MATCH DETAILS
Group B, Lisbon
Sunday, 13 June, 1945 BST

Sven-Goran Eriksson has urged his England players to get their Euro 2004 campaign off to a flying start with a win against defending champions France.
The two sides clash in Lisbon on Sunday and coach Eriksson insists there is no reason why England cannot triumph.

"I have been waiting two years for this and it is what the job's about," said the Swede.

"We have a difficult game against maybe the best team in the tournament on paper, but I'm confident we're ready."

Eriksson added: "I don't need to tell the players they can win if they play well on the day.

"They are motivated - if they weren't they wouldn't be here. There is respect for France in the squad but we are absolutely not afraid to go out there."

England's one injury concern is defender John Terry, who has been ruled out of the France game with a hamstring problem.

Tottenham's Ledley King has been preferred to Liverpool's Jamie Carragher to partner Sol Campbell at centre-back.

The players are not fazed by anyone or anything - they are fearless

Eriksson guided England to the World Cup quarter-finals two years ago, but he insists the squad is better prepared going into a match which could decide who wins Group B.

"It's a big game, and it's the first one so it's very important," said Eriksson.

"But the most important thing for us is to go through to the quarter-finals.

"Of course, I want to beat France though. It would be a very good start.

"The character of the players in both teams is to attack. I don't think it will be a boring game.

"It may be physical but fair. I don't think you will see stupid things out there."

Watching the players in training, optimism is oozing out of the squad

Captain David Beckham insisted his team-mates would not be overawed at taking on a star-studded France side.

"Leading this team into the competition is one of the best feelings in the world, to walk out with 10 players you trust with your life," he said.

"This set of players is completely different to any other I have been involved in with England.

"When I first came into the team, you had a lot of respect for the older players but there was a sort of divide.

"For me, these players today have come into the squad and are not fazed by anyone or anything. They are fearless

13th June 2004 12:48 PM
Monkey Woman During the Voodoo Lounge tour rehearsals, Mick, Charlie and Ronnie often took time off to watch the World Cup matches on TV, which would piss Keith off mightily!
13th June 2004 01:17 PM
Gazza >Captain David Beckham insisted his team-mates would not be overawed at taking on a star-studded France side.
"Leading this team into the competition is one of the best feelings in the world, to walk out with 10 players you trust with your life," he said.

Good to see Becks really has things in perspective as usual!!
13th June 2004 04:40 PM
Monkey Woman OK, I'll gloat: France 2-1 England
13th June 2004 04:41 PM
Moonisup what a fucking great ending!!!!! the French got lucky, and that penalty for England, haha they have the same problem as the dutch
13th June 2004 04:44 PM
Monkey Woman Zidane is a genius. But that was a tough opposition!
13th June 2004 04:52 PM
keith_tif We won 2-1.
Vive la France!
Zidane, the best football player of all the time!
13th June 2004 04:53 PM
keith_tif We won 2-1.
Vive la France!
Zidane, the best football player of all the time!
13th June 2004 05:02 PM
Monkey Woman Yes, but next is Croatia, not exactly an easy task...
13th June 2004 05:04 PM
BillyBoll It hurts to say it, but the best team won. I thought that it was going to be one of those historic victories, and I supppose it was, but for me the wrong team.

My praise for Steven Gerrard was bound to come back to haunt me, with that appalling back pass to James, but if he had gone with his hands I'm sure he would have got it!

Still, its only a game.

Now when is that bleeding new Stones album going to appear?
13th June 2004 05:11 PM
Gazza Never mind, Billy - losing only in injury time to possibly the best team on the planet and to the greatest player on the planet is hardly a disgrace. I thought England played very well, but France deserved something out of the game. Still, typical of england to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I had a sinking feeling something would happen when that wanker Clive Tyldesley started crowing in the closing minutes about how much taunting the French coach Jacques Santini would get when he joined Tottenham next season from English fans after England's 1-0 victory...

And hey,its not all bad...at least the TV coverage ended with the sounds of the Stones singing "You cant always get what you want" over the closing credits.....!
[Edited by Gazza]
13th June 2004 05:17 PM
Monkey Woman Cool!
13th June 2004 05:31 PM
BillyBoll Missed that bit. I was kicking shit out of the dog at that stage!!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14