ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Stadio Giuseppe Meazza - San Siro, Milan 11th July 2006
© Dave Hogan with special thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: first 'combined age' story of Euro leg Return to archive
11th July 2006 08:10 PM
Daethgod Stones kick off tour with Cup stars
By Lisa Jucca in Milan
12jul06

THEY may have a combined age of 248, and a guitarist who has just recovered from head injuries sustained when he fell out of a tree, but the Rolling Stones today proved they can still entertain.

At the first gig of the European leg of their A Bigger Bang Tour, delayed for more than a month after 62-year-old guitarist Keith Richards underwent surgery in New Zealand, the famous foursome rocked a packed San Siro soccer stadium in Milan.

Fellow guitarist Ron Wood, 59, also checked into a London rehabilitation clinic last month for treatment for alcohol abuse, but both men yesterday said they were feeling good and ready to get back on the touring bandwagon.

Lead singer Mick Jagger congratulated the crowd on Italy's weekend victory in the soccer World Cup, and two of the winning squad – Marco Materazzi and Alessandro Del Piero – were invited onto the stage at the end of the two-hour show.

Referring to Richards' accident and the infamous head-butting incident involving Materazzi and French player Zinedine Zidane in the World Cup final, Jagger, speaking in Italian, joked:

"Materazzi and Richards have something in common tonight – they both recently had head-related problems."

The crowd waved thousands of Italian flags as the foursome performed many of their old classics and a smattering of newer material.

Richards was the first on stage, wearing his trademark headband and a shirt open at the chest.

The night began with Jumpin' Jack Flash and ended with (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, and, apart from short mini-breaks between songs, the ageing rockers showed few signs of slowing down.

Since the 2005 release of their latest album, A Bigger Bang, the Rolling Stones have performed on three continents before a combined total of 4.5 million fans, according to their tour director.

Their biggest show was at Copacabana Beach, where they played before about 1.5 million people, and they also performed in Beijing for the first time.

The group, with hits like Get Off of My Cloud, has sold an estimated 240 million albums since forming in 1962, and is regarded as one of the world's most popular and influential bands.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,19764506%255E1702,00.html
11th July 2006 08:59 PM
Gazza I can never grasp the point of this 'combined age' shite..its not like youre going to see a 248 year old man with four heads and eight arms running around a stage

The combined age of Springsteen's latest touring line up is, I would guess, something like 800. No one mentions that. Of course, theres about 17 or 18 people in the band but unless youre drawing attention to 'average age' its a meaningless statistic

Nice to see a first review though - Mick referred to Keith as "Richards" ? A bit odd!
[Edited by Gazza]
11th July 2006 09:00 PM
MidnightRambler I wish reporters could do that 'combined age' thing more often.

Sigh.
11th July 2006 09:07 PM
Gazza LOL..yeah and the great thing is that they all fuckin think theyre the first people on earth to figure out the Stones' age and that theyre gettin' on a bit

I mean, how long has this shite being going on now...since 1981?

Of course, the funny thing when you look back at all the TV reports on video down the years that mention this is that while the Stones have managed to last the pace, the same cant be said for the reporters, most of whom have probably been long farmed out to a retirement home for talentless hacks in Clicheville, Arizona many years ago
11th July 2006 09:15 PM
pdog I have no idea what my combined age is...
11th July 2006 10:01 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Daethgod wrote:
The group, with hits like Get Off of My Cloud, has sold an estimated 240 million albums since forming in 1962, and is regarded as one of the world's most popular and influential bands.

She forgot to mention the 44th anniversary tomorrow.
12th July 2006 08:33 AM
corgi37 I always find it odd they include weird songs like Get off my cloud. Like in some articles they are referred to as the "Brown Sugar" band. I mean, cool that they know a title of a song, but Get off my cloud?

nice find, Daeth.
12th July 2006 11:26 AM
jb Most reportees are lower than scum..(see Robert Novack).
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)