ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Stadio Giuseppe Meazza - San Siro, Milan 11th July 2006
© Dave Hogan with special thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I Met Paul Weller At Gay Pride Return to archive Page: 1 2
11th July 2006 05:46 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Last Saturday (1st July) my girlfriend convinced me to go into the city with her so she could visit some old work colleagues at John Lewis. With some reluctance I agreed.

As we left the tube station I could see that there was some sort of parade happening. The street had been closed off and people were playing loud music and blowing whistles ect. Turns out it was gay pride day. Great

I soon became very bored with the sound of Erasure and Gina G and decided to bid a retreat to Carnaby street. This turned out to be the best move of the day. It was relatively quiete and as I walked down the hallowed cobbles I decided to go into the Ben Sherman shop.

Then in front of me, there he was. Paul Weller, the man who dominated my early teen record collection. I was dumbstruck. I had to talk to him. He wa my idol for about ten years.

I told him how great i thought he was and asked him when he would be touring next and he was very approachable and more than willing to sign my newly purchased Ben Sherman T-Shirt.

One of the best days of my life.
11th July 2006 09:29 AM
Honky Tonk Man Nice one Voodoo Scrounge.

I'd love to of visited Carnaby Street in the 60's when it really WAS the place to spot pop stars buying their clobber.
11th July 2006 09:59 AM
jb Never heard of him....????
11th July 2006 10:38 AM
Martha How cool!

I'm smiling for you darlin'!

xxoo,
MM
11th July 2006 10:47 AM
keefkid
quote:
jb wrote:
Never heard of him....????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Weller
11th July 2006 10:52 AM
Voodoo Scrounge
quote:
jb wrote:
Never heard of him....????

He used to be in a band called The Jam. They were very sucessfull from about 79 to 82/3.

He then formed a band called The Style Council. They played a mixture of pop/funk/motown soul sort of stuff. A lot better than it actually sounds.

He then left the Style council and has been a very successful solo artist since.

His most famopus and arguably best works was called Stanley Road.

He is a huge influence to Oasis and was a huge part in the formation of the Mod movement in the late 70s early 80s. So much so that his nicknameis in fact The Mod Father
11th July 2006 10:56 AM
Voodoo Scrounge
11th July 2006 11:36 AM
corgi37 Paul Weller is gay?

Or just a supportive "fag hag"?
11th July 2006 12:44 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Paul Weller is gay?

Or just a supportive "fag hag"?

Voodoo Scrounges thread title is misleading. He met him in the Ben Sherman shop in Carnaby Street. It just happened to be Gay Pride day in London, that all.
12th July 2006 06:19 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Yeah sorry guys. I didnt want to in anyway incinuate that he was gay. He isnt. I just met him in a little back road in london. Well quite a famous back road.
12th July 2006 08:04 AM
corgi37 Hey, its cool. My fave song of his is "Changing man".

Which, really, is a kinda cool tie-in with what we thought this thread was about.

Pdog my ass. I'm your Daddy!
12th July 2006 08:42 AM
Gazza
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
Yeah sorry guys. I didnt want to in anyway incinuate that he was gay. He isnt. I just met him in a little back road in london. Well quite a famous back road.

Is "back road" a euphemism?
12th July 2006 09:26 AM
Joey
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:

He used to be in a band called The Jam. They were very sucessfull from about 79 to 82/3.

He then formed a band called The Style Council. They played a mixture of pop/funk/motown soul sort of stuff. A lot better than it actually sounds.

He then left the Style council and has been a very successful solo artist since.

His most famopus and arguably best works was called Stanley Road.

He is a huge influence to Oasis and was a huge part in the formation of the Mod movement in the late 70s early 80s. So much so that his nicknameis in fact The Mod Father

One of my C10 brothers was once kind enough to send me some early recordings of THE JAM ( circa 1977 - '78 ) .

I tried ...... I REALLY TRIED to get into the band but just could NOT grasp the sound of the group .

I decided to play some WHO instead and a smile came across me face ( see : The Rolling Stones ) .

Flacky !
12th July 2006 10:07 AM
Maxlugar [quote]Joey wrote:

I tried ...... I REALLY TRIED to get into the band but just could NOT grasp the sound of the group .

I decided to play some WHO instead and a smile came across me face ( see : The Rolling Stones ) .

You are still tapping your foot to all that Jeff Beck I sent you, no? No? NO?!

Yes!
12th July 2006 10:12 AM
Joey " You are still tapping your foot to all that Jeff Beck I sent you, no? No? NO?! "

Macky ....

I love my Jeff Beck Starter Kit

Jacky

12th July 2006 10:19 AM
Fiji Joe Max? Joey?

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
12th July 2006 10:20 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Joey wrote:

Flacky !

The Jam covered Disguises.
12th July 2006 10:26 AM
Voodoo Scrounge One thing you have to say about the Jam irrespective of wether you like them or not, is that considering that they were only a three piece band. They made one hell of a noise.

The shame about the Jam and their fans is that they are divided. If you listen to the Jams first album, it is very punk and hard. However, if you listen to some of the later stuff, there is much more of a motown sould feel to it. I personally love both genres, but many argue which era was best for the Jam.

Another thing which is really interesting is that all three members used to fight like cats and dogs. The drummer, Rick Buckler, once turned up on stage with a blck eye from where he had a fight with the bassist, Bruce Foxton. A bit like Tina Turner. Sorry, a very bad joke there.

Great band thopugh. A lot more influencial than they get credit for.
12th July 2006 10:39 AM
Joey [quote]Fiji Joe wrote:
Max? Joey?

12th July 2006 10:41 AM
Maxlugar [quote]Joey wrote:
I love my Jeff Beck Starter Kit

BOOYAH!
12th July 2006 10:44 AM
Joey

12th July 2006 10:51 AM
Maxlugar
12th July 2006 11:12 AM
Fiji Joe Penis Rock, Nebraska

12th July 2006 11:25 AM
jb AS we left the Palace that Sunday, we drove right into the Gay Pride Parade..it was a great way to end our vacation....
12th July 2006 11:38 AM
Joey " Penis Rock, Nebraska "

12th July 2006 11:42 AM
Fiji Joe Joey...I heard you took your morning shit...

12th July 2006 11:57 AM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
AS we left the Palace that Sunday, we drove right into the Gay Pride Parade..

was anyone seriously hurt?
12th July 2006 12:16 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Funny!!! No, our driver forgot about the parade and headed towards Times Square ...we then were blocked off...it was very wet and damp all weekend..............................>
12th July 2006 01:25 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Jb - he has white collar crime (ie - charging legal fees whilst spamming RO...) prison bitch written all over him...
12th July 2006 01:27 PM
not bound to please
quote:
jb wrote:

Funny!!! No, our driver forgot about the parade and headed towards Times Square ...we then were blocked off...it was very wet and damp all weekend..............................>

I picked Maxy up and had to circle around forever because of the puerto rican pride parade. You could have had a good time - we coulda got shot!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)