ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Stadio Giuseppe Meazza - San Siro, Milan 11th July 2006
© Dave Hogan with special thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: YCAGWYW From Brussels 73 Return to archive
10th July 2006 01:34 AM
ebmp Let me just say this is my favorite Stones live moment ever. Everything on this version is just so perfect! It gives me chills everytime I listen to the intro, to the solo.

Hell, it's just great!

What I wanted to know is: is that a video of this version? Or is there a better version of this tune that I haven't heard?

10th July 2006 06:54 AM
Gazza no, and probably no!
10th July 2006 08:50 AM
corgi37 It's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
10th July 2006 09:49 AM
Gazza it is great indeed, but nothing the Stones ever did before or since touches the version of 'Midnight Rambler' that follows it.
10th July 2006 10:05 AM
star star
quote:
Gazza wrote:
it is great indeed, but nothing the Stones ever did before or since touches the version of 'Midnight Rambler' that follows it.

just going to listen to it now.....pure heaven!
10th July 2006 02:14 PM
ebmp Too bad, but thanks anyway

Midnight Rambler is great, but I still prefer YCAGWYW
10th July 2006 02:48 PM
jpenn11
quote:
Gazza wrote:
no, and probably no!

Is there a video from Brussels 1st Show? Probably:

731017E 17th October: semi-professional film ‘Rolling Stones Express’. Incl. - footage from both Brussels-shows

Does it contain YCAGWYW? Unknown

Is there a circulating video? Not to my knowledge

Is there a better version? You might want to track the following puppy down:

"Leave Preaching to the Preacher

These are all of the "You Can't Always Get What You Want" solos that I have been able to compile from the touring years of 1972-1973. These solos are made up from sources of varying degrees of quality so fidelity is below standard on many of the solos. In other words if fidelity is your bag baby you'll for the most part be disappointed. They have been "tweaked" to insure the finest possible sound from the source and they have all been speed and pitch-corrected. Keep in mind that the purpose ct this is to document for history the great compositional skills of Mick Taylor during this period. Each solo is unique. These are arranged in chronological order so that the listener can get an idea of how the solo evolved over time (all within a year and a half). On most nights the solo was great but there are a few that are not stellar (Charlotte for example). I am a guitarist and it is difficult for me to imagine that any non-musician would enjoy over 2 1/2 hours of the same solo on the same song; maybe I'm wrong. These are beautiful solos. There are too many stand out solos to mention, in fact most are, but just listen to Pittsburgh, Brussels, Washington D.C, and my favorite Essen (on the 10th) to name a few. These are but a small sampling of an entire body of work of great moments. Mick Taylor always seems to be able to add something fresh to each solo. Listen to the end of the Hawaii 1-21-73 solo (at about the 1:20 sec mark). I am sure that each of you will have your own favorites but sit back and listen and understand that it is the norm for Mick Taylor to have some unique section of each solo, which is utterly amazing. Because of the era we have no audio record of most great composers of the past. We are very fortunate to have an audio record of Mick Taylor during this period. I have enjoyed immensely compiling these solos, I hope you have a fraction of that enjoyment listening to them. This is a unique collection of solos by Mick Taylor during the Rolling Stones 1972 and 1973 tours. These are clips from the song "You Can't Always Get What You Want" from 57 different shows"

Perhaps some kind soul can add it to the tracker.

10th July 2006 02:49 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:
it is great indeed, but nothing the Stones ever did before or since touches the version of 'Midnight Rambler' that follows it.

except of course, Rain Fall Down live from SALT LAKE CITY!!!
10th July 2006 02:56 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

except of course, Rain Fall Down live from SALT LAKE CITY!!!

oddly enough, both performances had the same amount of tempo changes

(though one unintentionally)
10th July 2006 02:59 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

oddly enough, both performances had the same amount of tempo changes

(though one unintentionally)

I regret bringing up the Salt Lake Incident...it is now fresh in my mind and the humiliation is setting in.
10th July 2006 03:01 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

I regret bringing up the Salt Lake Incident...it is now fresh in my mind and the humiliation is setting in.

true.

but it helps to take my mind off the freshly posted cape photos
10th July 2006 03:05 PM
pdog Mick Taylor is actually playing the lead with his penis!
10th July 2006 03:40 PM
texile [quote]jpenn11 wrote:

731017E 17th October: semi-professional film ‘Rolling Stones Express’. Incl. - footage from both Brussels-shows

These are all of the "You Can't Always Get What You Want" solos that I have been able to compile from the touring years of 1972-1973. These solos are made up from sources of varying degrees of quality so fidelity is below standard on many of the solos. In other words if fidelity is your bag baby you'll for the most part be disappointed. They have been "tweaked" to insure the finest possible sound from the source and they have all been speed and pitch-corrected. Keep in mind that the purpose ct this is to document for history the great compositional skills of Mick Taylor during this period. Each solo is unique. These are arranged in chronological order so that the listener can get an idea of how the solo evolved over time (all within a year and a half). On most nights the solo was great but there are a few that are not stellar (Charlotte for example). I am a guitarist and it is difficult for me to imagine that any non-musician would enjoy over 2 1/2 hours of the same solo on the same song; maybe I'm wrong. These are beautiful solos. There are too many stand out solos to mention, in fact most are, but just listen to Pittsburgh, Brussels, Washington D.C, and my favorite Essen (on the 10th) to name a few. These are but a small sampling of an entire body of work of great moments. Mick Taylor always seems to be able to add something fresh to each solo. Listen to the end of the Hawaii 1-21-73 solo (at about the 1:20 sec mark). I am sure that each of you will have your own favorites but sit back and listen and understand that it is the norm for Mick Taylor to have some unique section of each solo, which is utterly amazing. Because of the era we have no audio record of most great composers of the past. We are very fortunate to have an audio record of Mick Taylor during this period. I have enjoyed immensely compiling these solos, I hope you have a fraction of that enjoyment listening to them. This is a unique collection of solos by Mick Taylor during the Rolling Stones 1972 and 1973 tours. These are clips from the song "You Can't Always Get What You Want" from 57 different shows"

[/quote

what's most amazing is that every single ycagwyw solo has some flourish that's different every time....
there's the soaring solo and than a quiet interlude with just keith's rythym and right before jagger comes back in, mt does some kind of melodic thing that ends it.....
check out the earthquake benefit - that last bit is beautiful.........
is there a better recording of this anywhere?
10th July 2006 04:08 PM
FrankiePeppers
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:

If there are no takers to upload, offer it as blanks & postage.
10th July 2006 04:21 PM
jb Mick taylor meant more to the Stones then any individual memeber ...he was the reason they were to become the greatest Rock band ever....
10th July 2006 04:26 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
jb wrote:
Mick taylor meant more to the Stones then any individual memeber ...

the Stones "individual members" are doing just fine (See press conference photos)
10th July 2006 05:05 PM
pdog
quote:
jb wrote:
Mick taylor meant more to the Stones then any individual memeber ...he was the reason they were to become the greatest Rock band ever....

Didn't Brian start the band, I think he wins... No contest counselor.
10th July 2006 07:16 PM
texile taylor was in the right place at the right time -
and god smiled on the stones...
if you take taylor away from ya ya, sticky fingers, exile -it just wouldn't be there in all its glory.....
no matter how great keith is.
10th July 2006 09:54 PM
Soldatti I can't believe that we didn't get an official release of this show, after 33 years!
11th July 2006 07:21 PM
texile
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I can't believe that we didn't get an official release of this show, after 33 years!

that's the biggest stones mystery -
with all the new live crap they feed us, why don't they dig through their classic eras - like dylan and zeppelin have done?
capitalize on all those rolling stones tour 72 tour t-shirts all these kids are wearing.....
11th July 2006 07:35 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
Mick taylor meant more to the Stones then any individual memeber ...he was the reason they were to become the greatest Rock band ever....

yeah, after all he contributed so much more than the two guys who merely wrote about 90% of the songs between them, which he would otherwise never have got the chance to play on
11th July 2006 09:42 PM
Soldatti
quote:
texile wrote:

that's the biggest stones mystery -
with all the new live crap they feed us, why don't they dig through their classic eras - like dylan and zeppelin have done?
capitalize on all those rolling stones tour 72 tour t-shirts all these kids are wearing.....

Sadly, I don't see any of the Stones doing the job.
12th July 2006 08:39 AM
corgi37 Just wait until around Christmas 2012. The best of the Stones is yet to come. The release of rare and unheard stuff will follow after this, their last tour. And of course, ABB was their last new release.
12th July 2006 10:56 AM
star star i like the brussels version, but if you are big on the taylor solos and not so bothered about bobby's sax, some YCAGWYW's were all guitar and no sax some nights....even better!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)