ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Stadio Giuseppe Meazza - San Siro, Milan 11th July 2006
© Dave Hogan with special thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I just met Ray Davies!!! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
10th July 2006 01:05 PM
Your Cousin Lou
quote:
jb wrote:
Kinks, imo, not even close to one of the all time greats..A fun band whose time in the spotlight was overshadowd by other bands...They are not in my top 50-but if you love them, more power to you. They are no Who or Rlooing Stones. More like Blue Oyster Cult.
[Edited by jb]

I like the Who, but I fail to see what exactly makes them better than the Kinks. As for being overshadowed - EVERY british invasion band was overshadowed by the Beatles. True that the Kinks are an acquired taste, but most people who listen to the 66-71 albums, seem to like them. What albums by the Kinks have you listened to?
10th July 2006 01:18 PM
jb Stones overtook Beatles, especially in England by late 60's. The Kinks, like other bands from England, had a impact on American music. However, unlike the Who or Stones, they were not viewed as a band that really had a lasting impact....but I have no isues with those eho love them..like I said, I liked that "Come dancin " video .
10th July 2006 01:38 PM
Your Cousin Lou
quote:
jb wrote:
The Kinks, like other bands from England, had a impact on American music. However, unlike the Who or Stones, they were not viewed as a band that really had a lasting impact....

I guess you never heard of Metal, Punk, or Britpop, all of which were either influenced by, or just plain ripped off, the Kinks.

Also, the following was taken from an interview in 1995:

quote:
QUESTION: Tell us a bit about the other important English bands at that time, The Kinks and Ray Davies' work. What did you think of them and how do you think they've held up?

PETE TOWNSHEND: Well, really, the only two bands I think were really important were The Animals and The Kinks. The Animals because a lot of people forget how early they got into America. They were the second band to follow The Beatles in. They were huge. But The Kinks were much more quintessentially English. I always think that Ray Davies should one day be Poet Laureate. He invented a new kind of poetry and a new kind of language for Pop writing that influenced me from the very, very, very beginning. I think that Dave Davies is also very underestimated.

Maybe you're just jerking my chain. I don't know. But if you haven't listened to Face to Face, Something Else, Village Green Preservation Society, Arthur and Muswell Hillbillies, I don't see how you can say that the Kinks didn't have a lasting impact.

10th July 2006 01:40 PM
jb No..I have never listened to any Kinks album...I know they have some big hits-maybe b/c they have not toured as frequently here. I saw them in 89, and enjoyed the show..
[Edited by jb]
10th July 2006 01:50 PM
Martha
quote:
jb wrote:
No..I have never listened to any Kinks album...I know they have some big hits-maybe b/c they have not toured as frequently here. I saw them in 89, and enjoyed the show..
[Edited by jb]

Haven't listened to any....WHAT???!?!??! jb you are not doing any of your KINKS homework..I gave you an assignment!

Victoria will rock you!
10th July 2006 01:52 PM
jb Martha, as last of the true Stones fans, I try no to pollute myt head with other music. I am not anti-kink(unlike U2 whom I hate), but they are not what keeps this thing going. Pug and I are here to call it like it is...we see things and we are not going to sugar coat them.
10th July 2006 02:04 PM
Martha
quote:
jb wrote:
Martha, as last of the true Stones fans, I try no to pollute myt head with other music. I am not anti-kink(unlike U2 whom I hate), but they are not what keeps this thing going. Pug and I are here to call it like it is...we see things and we are not going to sugar coat them.

Huh?

Pollute your head by listening to great music? I don't get that way of looking at music. The more I dig into the Stones the more I find other music that turns me on that I missed when it was in it's infancy . For me learning about, listening to, and seeing all the artist's still out there performing just keeps me blossoming.....I have no pollution at all.

I still think you would dig Victoria......

xxoo,
MM
10th July 2006 02:07 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Martha wrote:

I WANT! Do you know the track lists on those two?

Their discography has been remastered and done in SACD! I have 2 of them now and several more to go!

Not sure about additional tracks which may have been added on remastered releases, but these are the track listings on my copies:

The Great Lost Kinks Album:

01. Til Death Do Us Part
02. There Is No Life Without Love
03. Lavender Hill
04. Groovy Movies
05. Rosemary Rose
06. Misty Water
07. Mr. Songbird
08. When I Turn Off The Living Room Light
09. The Way Love Used To Be
10. I'm Not Like Everybody Else
11. Plastic Man
12. This Man He Weeps Tonight
13. Pictures In The Sand
14. Where Did The Spring Go?

A Soap Opera:

01. Everybody's A Star (Starmaker)
02. Ordinary People
03. Rush Hour Blues
04. Nine To Five
05. When Work Is Over
06. Have Another Drink
07. Underneath The Neon Sign
08. Holiday Romance
09. You Make It All Worthwhile
10. Ducks On The Wall
11. (A) Face In The Crowd
12. You Can't Stop The Music

And while I'm at at, here's a "best of" (a "Golden Hour" release - don't know if it's available anymore) with some of the most wonderful songs you'll ever hear anywhere:

Golden Hour Of The Kinks:

01. Days
02. Wonder Boy
03. Autumn Almanac
04. Waterloo Sunset
05. Dedicated Follower Of Fashion
06. Dead End Street
07. Set Me Free
08. Sunny Afternoon
09. Till The End Of The Day
10. Sittin' On My Sofa
11. Victoria
12. A Well Respected Man
13. You Really Got Me
14. All Day And All Of The Night
15. Tired Of Waiting For You
16. See My Friends
17. Louie Louie
18. Animal Farm
19. Shangrila
20. Where Have All The Good Times Gone

Enjoy, Martha!

10th July 2006 02:17 PM
Martha ugotmerollin'! THANKS for the info! Fi you haven't neoticed....I am falling head over heels in love with Ray!

We got to see his hour long bio on the Biography Channel last night....very nice. DId anyone else catch it? It keeps rotating on that channel. :-)

JB's Homework:
-----------------------------------------------
Biography for
Ray Davies (I)

Birth name
Raymond Douglas Davies
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Height
6' (1.83 m)
Spouse
Yvonne Gunner (1 November 1974 - 1981) (divorced)
Rasa Dicpetri (12 November 1964 - 1973) (divorced) 2 children
Trivia

Rock musician (The Kinks).

Brother of Dave Davies

Elected to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (as a member of The Kinks) in 1990.

Fathered a child, Natalie Rae Hynde, with Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders.

His song "Apeman" was covered by former Marillion singer Fish on his album "Songs From The Mirror" (released 1993).

Sadly, he has barely been on speaking terms with his brother and musical collaborator Dave since they recorded their last album as The Kinks in the early 1990s.

He was awarded the C.B.E. (Commander of the order of the British Empire) in the 2003 Queen's New Year's Eve Honours List for his services to music.

In 2003, when a mugger stole his girlfriend's purse, he valiantly chased the man but was then shot in the leg by the thief.

He has another daughter with dancer, Pat Crosby.

He is the uncle of writer/producer, Lawrence Kane, who helped Ray recover from his gunshot wound in New Orleans.

Davies was in many ways unique among the front men in British rock bands from the 60s. He never got into drugs or affiliated himself with "hippie" culture (nor did his band), although The Kinks did present themselves as hard- drinking. Davies was also never a Lothario in the ranks with his contemporaries, and he married at a very young age. By all accounts a quiet, unapproachable type off stage, Davies had a series of nervous breakdowns as a young man, which led to him being hospitalized twice.

Director Wes Anderson originally intended to have the whole of Rushmore (1998) set to songs by The Kinks. Anderson changed his mind when he wanted to use a series of songs by other bands from the "British Invasion", although he kept the Davies/Kinks song, "Nothin' In This World Can Stop Me Worryin' 'Bout That Girl".

Pete Townshend has said that Ray Davies' is probably his favorite songwriter of all time.

The Kinks' single, "See My Friends", was the first British songs (and possibly Western) to integrate a Indian, sitar-like sound. This song and, shortly thereafter, the similarly sitar-based "Fancy" preceded the first Beatles song with an Indian feel, "Norwegian Wood", by a year.

Probably the best known of covers of Kinks songs are The Jam's cover of "David Watts", The Pretenders' take on "Stop Your Sobbing," and Van Halen's version of "You Really Got Me", but The Kinks have been covered literally hundreds of times by hundreds of artists.

When The Kinks opened a show on the same bill as The Beatles, The Beatles (in particularly John Lennon) behaved rudely and dismissively towards them. However, when The Kinks released their more introspective album "Face to Face", Lennon was said to have listened to it obsessively.

The original name of The Kinks was The Ravens.

The Kinks were voted the 64th Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Artists of all time by Rolling Stone.

With four to five band members at one time, there have been 11 members of The Kinks, with only Ray and his brother Dave Davies having belonged since the founding of the group. They have gone through two drummers (Mick Avory and Bob Henrit), three keyboardists (John Gosling, Gordon Edwards, and Ian Gibbons), and four bass-guitarists (Peter Quaife, John Dalton, Andy Pyle, and Jim Rodford).

In an early stage of The Kinks, before Davies was willing to be the lead singer, they recruited Rod Stewart (who grew up in the same area as the Davies brothers, Muswell Hill) as a singer. After a couple weeks of trying to be a band, Stewart and the future Kinks found that they didn't get along that well, with their musical tastes being too different, and parted ways.

"Very Gothic, creepy and silent. Uptight and fearful of everyone." -Marianne Faithfull's description of Davies and The Kinks.

Winner of the 2006 Ivor Novello Award for Outstanding Contribution To British Music.

Personal quotes

"If I had to my life to do over, I would change every single thing I have done."

"We had a singing family. If we'd been in Appalachia, we would have been a Country & Western family. We had all that inbreeding, too - The Second World War was quite a time."

"When in doubt, trust your paranoia."
------------------------------------------------------------

Pop Quiz to follow!

Pun intended.

:-)

10th July 2006 02:31 PM
Your Cousin Lou The Great Lost Kinks Album has never been released on CD. In fact, it only received a limited release on LP, before it was pulled due to an objection by Ray. Unless it is a legitimate LP, it is a bootleg.

However, all of the early Kinks on PYE Records (Through Lola and Percy)is available via import (here in the US) from the UK on Sanctuary. Those reissues(Something Else and the Deluxe VGPS) contain many bonus tracks, including all but two of the songs on the Great Lost Kinks Album.
10th July 2006 02:35 PM
Your Cousin Lou
quote:
They have gone through two drummers (Mick Avory and Bob Henrit)

Mick Avory played drums with the Stones, before Charlie.
10th July 2006 02:42 PM
Your Cousin Lou
quote:
jb wrote:
No..I have never listened to any Kinks album...I know they have some big hits-maybe b/c they have not toured as frequently here. I saw them in 89, and enjoyed the show..
[Edited by jb]

Well, they have been broken up since the mid 1990s. But their 80s music, while respectable in its own right, is not really indicative of their range and versatility.
10th July 2006 02:46 PM
Egbert
quote:
jb wrote:
Stones overtook Beatles, especially in England by late 60's. The Kinks, like other bands from England, had a impact on American music. However, unlike the Who or Stones, they were not viewed as a band that really had a lasting impact....but I have no isues with those eho love them..like I said, I liked that "Come dancin " video .

Had the Kinks not been banned from touring the states during the late '60s they would've had a much bigger impact there.
10th July 2006 03:02 PM
pdog
quote:
Egbert wrote:

Had the Kinks not been banned from touring the states during the late '60s they would've had a much bigger impact there.

Very true... Ray Davies is the best British songwriter of the 60's...
10th July 2006 03:04 PM
Martha pdog, are you gonna take Ray a gift?
10th July 2006 03:06 PM
pdog
quote:
Martha wrote:
pdog, are you gonna take Ray a gift?

I'm bringing my daughter, but I wasn't planning on giving her away... Any suggestions?
10th July 2006 03:16 PM
Martha I thought of your daughter taking him a single rose or flower of some kind....something along those lines perhaps. Just a thought.

I'm glad you won't be handing your daughter over to him. :-)

Do you know...is Storyteller also available on DVD?

Thanks!

MM
10th July 2006 05:13 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Your Cousin Lou wrote:
The Great Lost Kinks Album has never been released on CD. In fact, it only received a limited release on LP, before it was pulled due to an objection by Ray. Unless it is a legitimate LP, it is a bootleg.

Wow, guess I have myself a bona fide collector's item then. Thanks!
10th July 2006 06:16 PM
Your Cousin Lou
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Wow, guess I have myself a bona fide collector's item then. Thanks!

Yep, sounds like you scored. Have you heard of the soundboard recordings of the 1969 and 1970 shows at the Fillmore East? I'm trying to find a good kinks trading site, but there really isn't that much out there for these guys.
10th July 2006 06:36 PM
pdog
quote:
Your Cousin Lou wrote:

Yep, sounds like you scored. Have you heard of the soundboard recordings of the 1969 and 1970 shows at the Fillmore East? I'm trying to find a good kinks trading site, but there really isn't that much out there for these guys.

I've seen some of their stuff on Dime, and managed to do some snail mail trades a few years ago for a few shows. I don't have these however!
10th July 2006 06:41 PM
Your Cousin Lou Yeah, I have gotten several shows from the late 70s and early 80s off DIME, but nothing from 69-70...
10th July 2006 09:12 PM
Martha What about the soundboard shows from the Fillmore? Do you have them?
10th July 2006 09:29 PM
Your Cousin Lou Unfortunately, no. I'm relentlessly looking for them, though. Kinks fans need to get their own msg board and torrent tracker, it's much harder to come by their stuff.
10th July 2006 09:32 PM
Martha Now I am intrigued. I'll dig a little deeper......maybe I can find a gem...and if so I'll be back! :-)
10th July 2006 10:16 PM
pdog
quote:
Your Cousin Lou wrote:
Unfortunately, no. I'm relentlessly looking for them, though. Kinks fans need to get their own msg board and torrent tracker, it's much harder to come by their stuff.

I'm pretty sure they have a board. During Kinks week on Maxlugars Couch a few came over and it was very cool.
MLK never dreamed how far intergration would go...
10th July 2006 11:19 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Your Cousin Lou wrote:

Never heard of those, Lou, but I'll keep an eye out for 'em and let you know if I do.
11th July 2006 03:00 AM
The_Worst I have really gotten into the Kinks the past fews years, so much so that I can now state without any doubt that they are without question the most underrated group in the history of music. If you listen to any of the Kinks albums & simply read the lyrics you'll gain the full appreciation of Ray Davies songwriting. He explains life in such simplistic & very funny terms that it just rolls off the tongue.

Martha, I would highly recommend you pick up The BBC Sessions. That contains probably one of the funniest songs in the history of rock, "When I turn off the living room lights". That one song alone is worth the price of the 2 disc set!!!

The reason The Kinks were never nearly as big in America as the Beatles, Stones, & Who was because they were banned after Dave Davies punched out some union representative after the Kinks refused to sign a contract for American TV. Since they were banned from performing in America, Ray turned his songwriting to a more British audience. Once Lola broke then they reemerged in America. Then they released a series of concept albums which are great (but I wouldn't start off with them) before coming full circle with some more classic rock albums like Sleepwalker, Low Budget, Give The People What They Want, & State of Confusion.

I'd recommend all the albums as well as Everybody's in Showbiz mainly for the second half of the album which has some live tracks from Muswell Hilbilies including the fantastic "Alcohol".

I highly recommend to everyone out there looking for some great rock to rediscover The Kinks!!!
11th July 2006 09:43 AM
Martha
quote:
The_Worst wrote:
I have really gotten into the Kinks the past fews years, so much so that I can now state without any doubt that they are without question the most underrated group in the history of music. If you listen to any of the Kinks albums & simply read the lyrics you'll gain the full appreciation of Ray Davies songwriting. He explains life in such simplistic & very funny terms that it just rolls off the tongue.

Martha, I would highly recommend you pick up The BBC Sessions. That contains probably one of the funniest songs in the history of rock, "When I turn off the living room lights". That one song alone is worth the price of the 2 disc set!!!

The reason The Kinks were never nearly as big in America as the Beatles, Stones, & Who was because they were banned after Dave Davies punched out some union representative after the Kinks refused to sign a contract for American TV.

Since they were banned from performing in America, Ray turned his songwriting to a more British audience. Once Lola broke then they reemerged in America. Then they released a series of concept albums which are great (but I wouldn't start off with them) before coming full circle with some more classic rock albums like Sleepwalker, Low Budget, Give The People What They Want, & State of Confusion.

I'd recommend all the albums as well as Everybody's in Showbiz mainly for the second half of the album which has some live tracks from Muswell Hilbilies including the fantastic "Alcohol".

I highly recommend to everyone out there looking for some great rock to rediscover The Kinks!!!

"Martha, I would highly recommend you pick up The BBC Sessions. That contains probably one of the funniest songs in the history of rock, "When I turn off the living room lights". That one song alone is worth the price of the 2 disc set!!! "

I SAW this set but didn't pick it up yet at Best Buy...or is it Worst Buy? LOL I WANT!!!! Thank you very kindly for the heads up!

"The reason The Kinks were never nearly as big in America as the Beatles, Stones, & Who was because they were banned after Dave Davies punched out some union representative after the Kinks refused to sign a contract for American TV."

That's it?!? He hit some guy and they got BANNED for 3 fuckin' YEARS? Outrageous.

Love your name by the way!

;-)
Martha

Paranoia will destroy ya'
12th July 2006 01:11 PM
Martha
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
Martha,
I don't have your address anymore since you moved to Colorado...email me at [email protected]. I have a great audience filmed DVD of his March 13th Madison, Wisconsin show:
Ray Davies Madison, Wisconsin March 13, 2006

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Where Have All the Good Times Gone?
After the Fall
Twentieth-Century Man
Oklahoma USA
Village Green
Picture Book
Johnny Thunder
Sunny Afternoon
Dead End Street
Next-Door Neighbour
Creatures of Little Faith
The Tourist
Low Budget
Intermission (20 min)
London Song
Stand Up Comic
Things Are Gonna Change (The Morning After)
Long Way from Home (dedicated to Dave; the song was written for him)
The Getaway (Lonesome Train)
Tired of Waiting
Set Me Free
All Day and All of the Night
Encore: Lola

Also have Kinks DVD's of the Rainbow Theater in '74 and on Rockpalast in '81...

MRD8....You WRECK me!

Package recieved in my mailbox this morning...thank you VERY kindly!

B&P is heading your way as I type.

Ray is my new best friend! :-)

peace love and RNR!
Martha

"I'm a 20th century man,
but I don't wanna be here" RD

12th July 2006 04:54 PM
MRD8 Martha,
I mailed it on Monday morning so I guess the postal service realized how badly you wanted it!
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)