ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Stadio Giuseppe Meazza - San Siro, Milan 11th July 2006
© Dave Hogan with special thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I just met Ray Davies!!! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
7th July 2006 01:45 AM
Martha Bloody fuck! Just got home from the Paramount Theater....from seeing an incredible Ray Davies concert. It was absolutely fantastic (we got 15 row seats dead center 45 minutes before the show began) and afterwards we met Ray!!!!! He signed my CD of his latest work.

It was a grand time!

I had to tell someone...!

Anyone here a fan?

;-)

I'm on a loooooow budget!
7th July 2006 01:58 AM
pdog I'm a fan. Going to go see him next week in SF, last minute tickets too!
How did you meet him, was it chance, did he stalk you? He's one of my all time faves. Good for you. If he gets in touch with you again, will you mention me to him?
7th July 2006 02:33 AM
Zack I met Ray in 1996 when he was doing his Storyteller tour. It was at a signing in a record store and he was about as miserable as he could possibly be. Didn't take off his shades and sulked.

I said something like "Ray, your music has played a big part in the soundtrack to my life. I think you are one of the great songwriters of all time, and your band one of the best."

His reply (in bored monotone):

"Yeah, man."
7th July 2006 02:34 AM
pdog
quote:
Zack wrote:
I met Ray in 1996 when he was doing his Storyteller tour. It was at a signing in a record store and he was about as miserable as he could possibly be. Didn't take off his shades and sulked.

I said something like "Ray, your music has played a big part in the soundtrack to my life. I think you are one of the great songwriters of all time, and your band one of the best."

His reply (in bored monotone):

"Yeah, man."

Did you ask why he was so bummed? Probably would've gotten a better response or possibly a really, really bad one! LOL!
7th July 2006 04:44 AM
MRD8 I snatched a great FM broadcast of his July 4th Chicago show off of DIME yesterday...it is KILLER!!!
7th July 2006 08:07 AM
Maxlugar [quote]pdog wrote:

Did you ask why he was so bummed? Probably would've gotten a better response or possibly a really, really bad one!

Your avatar's implants look so soft.
7th July 2006 08:21 AM
sirmoonie Big fan o'd the man. Nice job Martha.
7th July 2006 08:48 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Davies takes Kink-y trip through rock 'n' roll era
Rocky Mountain News
July 7, 2006

In a just world, this would have been a concert at the sold-out Pepsi Center with $200 tickets.
But raw talent, superb songwriting, great singing and having a vast influence in rock 'n' roll doesn't necessarily translate to big dollars.

So Ray Davies, leader of the Kinks, was content Thursday night to host a singalong / history class / rock show at the Paramount Theatre, deftly skipping through decades of Kinks hits and material from his new solo album, Other People's Lives.

The crowd - less than capacity but spirited and reverential - got to see and hear Davies work through some of the biggest hits of the rock era. If you saw Davies' mid-1990s -solo Storyteller tours featuring tales about the songs, this was much the same - this time backed by a powerful electric band.

While lobbing in the occasional big hit - Where Have All the Good Times Gone, Sunny Afternoon, etc. - Davies got the crowd to indulge him with generous servings of Other People's Lives, including darker works such as After the Fall, The Tourist and The Morning After (the latter marred by shrill sound, unfortunately).

Spry and animated, the erudite Davies was charming and affable, He messed with his own music for his own delight as much as the crowd's. You Really Got Me started as a slow blues vamp before becoming a midtempo rocker, then finally the full-out blasting version.

An absolute highlight, however, was 20th Century Man, with the dynamics all mixed up, Davies starting and stopping the song, and lyrics sounding more menacing than ever: "Got no privacy / got no liberty . . . I'm a 20th century man but I don't wanna be here."

The hits were great, but some of the concert's quieter moments were just as compelling, such as the tale of going to the movies with his sister as a child that resulted in the song Oklahoma USA, delivered in an elegant yet epic version.

Davies cut the main set short after just 70 minutes but then came back for a generous helping of encores that included the inevitable Lola, Tired of Waiting and You -Really Got Me as well as a couple of lower-key fan favorites such as Low Budget.

The only drawback was the omissions in the setlist; other cities have gotten Kinks classics such as Picture Book (given new life via a Hewlett-Packard commercial) as well as Stand Up Comic, a stand- out track on Davies' solo album that was sorely missing Thursday night.

7th July 2006 09:23 AM
GotToRollMe Sweet! Nice one, Martha!
7th July 2006 10:29 AM
3DTeafoe

Ray Davies at the free WXRT concert
at Grant Park on the fourth of July.

Photo by Teafoe.

[Edited by 3DTeafoe]
7th July 2006 10:48 AM
Maxlugar Oklahoma USA? Damn that is amazing. One of my favorites of Muswell. Beautiful song.
[Edited by Maxlugar]
7th July 2006 10:55 AM
jb Kinks were basically a lesser version of the Who..not bad, but certainly not compelling.
7th July 2006 11:12 AM
Maxlugar [quote]jb wrote:
Kinks were basically a lesser version of the Who..not bad, but certainly not compelling.

You're way off the mark there my Poolside Postin' Pal...

7th July 2006 11:14 AM
rasputin56 See, look, there is something Maxy and I can agree on.
7th July 2006 11:19 AM
jb Saw them in 88 or 89 at Sunrise Musical theater-good show..but I would not go out and buy an album. The brothers, much like Oasis, have had there share of disharmony.
7th July 2006 11:31 AM
Maxlugar [quote]jb wrote:
Saw them in 88 or 89 at Sunrise Musical theater-good show..but I would not go out and buy an album. The brothers, much like Oasis, have had there share of disharmony.

Well you are missing out on some quite compelling music. Muswell Hillbillies and Arthur are incredible, for instance.
7th July 2006 11:36 AM
jb I liked that MTV hit ??? Gone dancin???
7th July 2006 11:42 AM
Joey
quote:
Martha wrote:
Bloody fuck! Just got home from the Paramount Theater....from seeing an incredible Ray Davies concert. It was absolutely fantastic (we got 15 row seats dead center 45 minutes before the show began) and afterwards we met Ray!!!!! He signed my CD of his latest work.

It was a grand time!

I had to tell someone...!

Anyone here a fan?

;-)

I'm on a loooooow budget!

Congratulations My Stonesian Queen ...

" The Petey " states that Ray Davies is a better writer than him . Word .

I disagree

Cakes
7th July 2006 11:53 AM
jb Did Pete reseasrch this?
7th July 2006 11:59 AM
Martha
quote:
pdog wrote:
I'm a fan. Going to go see him next week in SF, last minute tickets too!
How did you meet him, was it chance, did he stalk you? He's one of my all time faves. Good for you. If he gets in touch with you again, will you mention me to him?

Yes, Yes and a hearty YES pdog to all your questions. I have one of his tour shirts and see he is coming to you and soon. I don't know the actual date you get him though.

We bought our tix at the BO approx. 45 minues before showtime and got 15 row dead center (the sweet spot!)....and those tix were at the SECOND level of pricing ($45 verses $60). Only around 1,000 people showed up for a venue that can hold 2050, which sucked for them....

The deal: After the gig go to the tour bus and wait. Ray will come out about 20-25 minutes immediatley after he leaves the stage. At our gig he came walking out to get into a suburban van car thingy to shoot off to the hotel, but he walked over to the small crowd before he got in and signed for a few lucky people...I was one! And I was so clsoe to him I lightly touched his arm for more luck. :-) I took his newest CD with me and he signed it. It's a great work do you have it pd?

So WORD to you pdog and the rest of you rocknrollers....GO see this great show! His band is KILLER!

I need to read the rest of this thread now.

:-)
7th July 2006 11:59 AM
Joey " Did Pete reseasrch this?"

7th July 2006 12:00 PM
Martha
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
I snatched a great FM broadcast of his July 4th Chicago show off of DIME yesterday...it is KILLER!!!

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

How do I get a copy?

Please and thank you to start! :-)
7th July 2006 12:01 PM
Joey " Did Pete reseasrch this? "

7th July 2006 12:02 PM
Joey

" Muswell Hillbillies and Arthur are incredible, for instance. "

The Wall was just warmed over Arthur .

JACKY !
7th July 2006 12:03 PM
Martha
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Big fan o'd the man. Nice job Martha.

Thank you sirmoonie, I feel very, very lucky indeed.

Seeing Ray made me think a lot of Keef...perhaps due to the fact that Ray was drinking.....but also there is something else about him I can't quite put my finger on that made me think of our Keef last night.

Meeting him was humbling to say the very least.....so much rnr history and this man is an artist hands down.

Smashing!
7th July 2006 12:03 PM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:
" Did Pete reseasrch this? "

Gary "what you talkin' bout Willis" Coleman is always well used!!!
7th July 2006 12:04 PM
Joey " Gary "what you talkin' bout Willis" Coleman is always well used!!!"

So is ........................:

|
|
|
V

7th July 2006 12:06 PM
Martha
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
Sweet! Nice one, Martha!

Thank you! Being able to come here and talk about my experience is just as good for me as the experience itself. You people are the BEST!

Truly!

TTM thank you for posting the review!

Does anyone know where I can find the set list? And...the remaining tour dates!
7th July 2006 12:08 PM
Joey " Does anyone know where I can find the set list? And...the remaining tour dates!"

www.Steelydan.com

www.Redrocksonline.com

7th July 2006 12:09 PM
Martha
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Oklahoma USA? Damn that is amazing. One of my favorites of Muswell. Beautiful song.
[Edited by Maxlugar]

Hey Maxy, I'd never heard the song before..it was stunning. Absolutely gorgeous. He told us that he wrote it about/for his older sister who took him to the flickers when he was 6 years old. She loved musicals and Oklahoma in particular was a fav of hers.

:-)
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)