ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

HAPPY BIRTHDAY STU!!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Music Videos Return to archive
07-09-03 10:42 PM
Soul Survivor Alright, Im embarraced. Admit it, Stones music videos are just corny. I had Video Rewind on and it was like....yup the bad boys of rock (as theres a close up of Micks ass in the Emotional Rescue video, the women might like it, i dont)

I mean, not knocking the stones, but the videos are just corny. I did make some observations though....

Does anyone have any knowledge about the making of these videos. If you watch the "Shes So Cold" video Mick has striped socks on.....then the "Emotional Rescue" video....he has the same socks. Am I wrong? So they might have been shot in the same day?

there ARE a couple of videos I can tolerate....It's Only Rock And Roll, Waiting On A Friend's video is ok. But I mean, I didnt even KNOW that "Like A Rolling Stone" had a video. When it came out, I remember seeing the "Anybody Seen My Baby" video on VH1, but it didnt really go anywhere. Same with "Saint Of Me". The "Don't Stop" video went NOWHERE. I remember seeing "Rock And A Hard Place" on MTV when it came out...

But I dont know. I dont really think videos are for the Stones. They make Keith look bad. If you watch the NEIGHBOURS video, the part where Mick shouts "Neighbours, Neighbours, Neighbours, Neighbours".....I mean.....they got Keith doin it! Whats with that?

Whats your opinions?
07-09-03 11:29 PM
sammy davis jr. I thought the Love Is Strong video was cool.... But for the most part, their video's suck. Almost all video's suck.
07-09-03 11:44 PM
Soul Survivor Oh yeah, forgot about Love Is Strong
07-10-03 12:42 AM
Highwire Rob It would have been neat if Andy Warhol were still alive to have input in to a "Don't Stop" video worthy of that great new tune.

The concept is cool enough: a road trip pastiche of Stones album/song references. But they should have added many more layers and obscure subtexts so that even die-hard Rocks Off fans would enjoy multiple viewings to decrypt! After they jump in the car, one of the girls could have handed a guy something resembling a Mars bar – sort of have a little more fun with the bad-boy persona, myths, and legend!

Oh yeah, and it's best when the Stones are actually in their videos. Tossing in generic teenagers as video stars in an attempt to connect vicariously with "today's youth" is weak.

We know the Stones are old but they still Rock new and we love them for it!
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
07-10-03 08:41 AM
corgi37 Dont Stop is just the worst clip ever. Not only by the stones, but by anyone. I cant believe someone got paid to do it. As for their other clips, Love is strong is brilliant. But, you cant go past the simple ones. Miss You, Start me up, respectable - shit, the whole purpose of a video was to give the visual representation of a band performing a song. Some arty-farty dick wad then turns them into mini movies. Who can forget the self indulgent wank fest travesties of the 80's, like Visage, Duran Duran, Ultravox, Spandou Ballet, not to forget the hair bands like Poison, Bon Jovi et al. Just give me the old boys with a black curtain back drop, hamming it up for the camera. Its all about personality and charisma. U2 take note!
07-10-03 07:45 PM
exile I disagree
I dig all the stones videos
Not only do you see the band doing or performing the song
its also a record of the times the song was made, in fashion and their lifestyle.

a few come to mind
for instance the see through purple top Mick is wearing in Start me Up Video is awful but probably quite fashionable at the time
hell we were all wearing some pretty shitty clothes back then

Also I find The Only Rock and Roll video quite interesting as Keith is Farking out of it on smack his teeth are all black.

The One hit video is quite a good record as Mick and keith hated each other then and they used some of that in the vid

I love all the videos Love is Strong is probably my favourite the worst is probably She was Hot but they are all great in my opinion keep in mind that video production technology has not always been like now with Computer generated this and that The cheesy effects on She was hot were probably State of the art back then.