ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

HAPPY BIRTHDAY STU!!!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones choose favorite songs for CD compilation--whats wrong with this picture? Return to archive
07-06-03 06:30 PM
Jaxx Chuck Berry forgotten as the Rolling Stones chose CD of favourite artists

JEANETTE OLDHAM
the scotsman

THE Rolling Stones and Sheryl Crow have compiled CDs with their favourite tracks for the Starbucks-backed company Hear Music.

Other musicians taking part in the Artist’s Choice series include Ray Charles, Tony Bennett and Lucinda Williams with future compilations from BB King and Johnny Cash.

The idea came from Hear Music’s founder Don MacKinnon, who sold his retail chain to Starbucks in 1999.

The Rolling Stones had some disagreement over what to include, with each member picking four tracks each. Mr MacKinnon recalled: "Charlie Watts said, ‘I can’t believe there’s no Chuck Berry track on it. Where would Mick [Jagger] and Keith [Richards] be without Chuck Berry?’."

Jagger, whose choices included Sade’s By Your Side, told Mr MacKinnon: "I did notice that I was the only one who picked anything remotely new."

Crow chose popular artists such as Elton John, Carole King, Bob Dylan, Squeeze and Crowded House for her CD. "I always listen to music and enjoy it for what it is, but I also listen to it for what I can learn, to better my game," said the singer.

Mr MacKinnon has to get permission to use the songs from the chosen artists, but some are flattered to be asked. Bob Dylan was persuaded to allow the use of Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright when he heard that Sheryl Crow had selected it. Ray Charles and Tony Bennett chose mostly classic tracks.

Compilation albums are increasingly popular with music-buyers.

Artists Choice CD by Rolling Stones Back

Songs on the Artist's Choice CD chosen by the four members of the Rolling Stones:

James Brown, "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag (Part 1)"

Al Green, "I'm Still in Love with You"

Otis Redding, "I Can't Turn You Loose"

Muddy Waters, "Still a Fool"

Robert Johnson, "32-20 Blues"

Eddie Cochran, "C'mon Everybody"

Little Richard, "The Girl Can't Help It"

Earl Bostic, "Flamingo"

Andre Williams, "Jail Bait"

Sly & the Family Stone, "If You Want Me to Stay"

The Itals, "In a Dis a Time"

Sade, "By Your Side"

Aretha Franklin, "Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)"

The Isley Brothers, "This Old Heart of Mine is Weak"

Muddy Waters, "You Shook Me"

The Beach Boys, "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times"

[Edited by Jaxx]
07-07-03 06:15 AM
stonedinaustralia even more remarkable (to me at least) than the fact that chuck berry was overlooked is the fact that the beach boys were included!!

without making any comment on the merits (or otherwise) of the beach boys music - as i know they have fans here on the board (hey nasty habits!!) - i just don't see the connection...

whose choice was that track i wonder...
07-07-03 06:31 AM
fmk438j
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
whose choice was that track i wonder...

Mr Leavall?
07-07-03 07:45 AM
quackenbush The reason Chuck Berry was left off the compilation might stem from the law suit Johnnie Johnson brought against him, and Keith Richards support of the suit.
07-07-03 08:43 AM
steel driving hammer Saw it at Best Buy the other day but didn't get it.

I already had most of the artists it featured on disc already.
07-07-03 10:10 AM
jb Chuck Berry, like Chuck Leavell, is an ass!!!
07-07-03 11:59 AM
Nasty Habits But Chuck Berry, unlike Chuck Leavell, absolutely rocks.

07-07-03 12:54 PM
jb Of course he is literally the Father of Rock-n-Roll, but his actions have caused him to be a very unsympathetic character.
07-07-03 09:52 PM
JaggaRichards
quote:
quackenbush wrote:
The reason Chuck Berry was left off the compilation might stem from the law suit Johnnie Johnson brought against him, and Keith Richards support of the suit.

You got it!!!!
Plus the Stones are probably fed up with Berrys money-grubbing ways.
Why should they pick one of his songs?
It would just line his pockets with royalty money
07-08-03 10:09 AM
jb Plus he has peep holes.
07-08-03 02:01 PM
TomL Not bad listening if your in the mood.