ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Steve Earle Return to archive
6th July 2007 03:49 PM
ListenToTheLion Singer/songwriter Steve Earle will release his New West debut, "Washington Square Serenade," on Sept. 25, Billboard.com can reveal. The 12-track set was produced by the Dust Brothers' John King and features a duet with Earle's wife, Allison Moorer, on the track "Days Aren't Long Enough."

Also included on the album is a cover of Tom Waits' "Way Down in the Hole," which doubles as the theme song for the HBO series "The Wire," on which Earle stars. The Brazilian group Forro In The Dark guests on the track "City of Immigrants."

"Washington Square Serenade" will be available as a deluxe edition with a bonus DVD, including a walking tour of New York's Greenwich Village area with Earle and a behind-the-scenes documentary.

Earle, who is also writing his first novel for Houghton Mifflin, will tour this fall. A handful of shows are on tap so far, including appearances at Seattle's Bumbershoot Festival and Austin, Texas' Austin City Limits in September.

Here is the track list for "Washington Square Serenade":

"Tennessee Blues"
"Down Here Below"
"Satellite Radio"
"City of Immigrants"
"Sparkle and Shine"
"Come Home to Me"
"Jericho Road"
"Oxycontin Blues"
"Red Is the Color"
"Steve's Hammer (For Pete)"
"Days Aren't Long Enough"
"Way Down in the Hole"

6th July 2007 04:24 PM
pdog his last two albums were awesome... I love his earlier work too, but he's gotten to a place were everything feels good to me musically.
F The CC is a great tune... I play it all the time, it's so fucking punk rock, and it's a country singer... Some like Toby Keith, I love Steve Earle!!!
6th July 2007 04:28 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
pdog wrote:
his last two albums were awesome... I love his earlier work too, but he's gotten to a place were everything feels good to me musically.
F The CC is a great tune... I play it all the time, it's so fucking punk rock, and it's a country singer... Some like Toby Keith, I love Steve Earle!!!

yeah , I've heard good things, is it raw bluesy stuff?
6th July 2007 04:30 PM
fireontheplatter copperhead road is a killer to get baked to
6th July 2007 04:46 PM
Sir Stonesalot >is it raw bluesy stuff?<

In a word...no. Actually, I guess a better response would be...sort of, sometimes. Most of Steve's songs are polished quite well.

Steve always retains his sense of country twang, but I'd say he was more influenced by The Beatles and The Stones than Muddy and The Wolf.

In fact, if you ask me, I'd say that Steve Earle was a Rock and Roll artist more than anything else.
6th July 2007 04:48 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>is it raw bluesy stuff?<

In a word...no. Actually, I guess a better response would be...sort of, sometimes. Most of Steve's songs are polished quite well.

Steve always retains his sense of country twang, but I'd say he was more influenced by The Beatles and The Stones than Muddy and The Wolf.

In fact, if you ask me, I'd say that Steve Earle was a Rock and Roll artist more than anything else.

cool, sounds good, I may invest in some of his CD's
6th July 2007 04:52 PM
pdog
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>is it raw bluesy stuff?<

and he's got that fire under his ass, that you find in a good rebel or punk...
He's smart, witty and has hit bottom and survived. Plain and simple, I love the guy, his music kicks ass!
6th July 2007 05:12 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

cool, sounds good, I may invest in some of his CD's

you won't be sorry!!
6th July 2007 05:20 PM
jostorm I love his music.
But I have to say that my husband and I actually walked out of his show a while ago, and we had fantastic seats.
Has anyone ever seen him live???
Don't know aboout you, but I found him extremely boring.
And all this revolutionary talk is so 60's and so very very out!
6th July 2007 06:02 PM
pdog
quote:
jostorm wrote:
I love his music.
But I have to say that my husband and I actually walked out of his show a while ago, and we had fantastic seats.

Compliance and ignorance is very in... I've never seen him live, so his show could be boring, his albums aren't...
6th July 2007 07:45 PM
Gazza
quote:
jostorm wrote:
I love his music.

Yep..hes brilliant. Especially with the Dukes, although he doesnt change his set or between song patter too much!

Look forward to seeing him hopefully later this year. he plays here quite a lot.
6th July 2007 07:47 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
jostorm wrote:
I love his music.

the revolution starts..now.

i have heard this about him from other people too.

he's still a talanted artist tho. i got turned on to him in arkansas.
6th July 2007 08:00 PM
pdog
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Yep..hes brilliant. Especially with the Dukes, although he doesnt change his set or between song patter too much!

Look forward to seeing him hopefully later this year. he plays here quite a lot.

I can dig artists making political statements in the song, but I don't need too much talk, especially during a show...
6th July 2007 08:21 PM
Gazza
quote:
pdog wrote:

I can dig artists making political statements in the song, but I don't need too much talk, especially during a show...

It can get a bit much, but I suppose everyone knows what theyre getting and its always in the context of the music. There's obviously been a bit more of it in recent years than there was before, for quite obvious reasons, but Ive heard plenty of shows where the patter is mainly good story telling without having a political edge to it.
7th July 2007 11:31 AM
jostorm It was the yakking in between songs that made us think "ok, I've had enough!". The music was great, but it was extremely tedious how much he talked. And story telling is one thing, we would have appreciated that, but we had bought a ticket to a music concert, not to a communistic indoctrination workshop, it seemed all very passee.
7th July 2007 11:40 AM
Martha I've seen Steve a couple of times and loved the shows. I haven't been keeping track so thank for letting us know about the new CD.
7th July 2007 12:27 PM
Sir Stonesalot >but we had bought a ticket to a music concert, not to a communistic indoctrination workshop<

Obviously, you didn't know much about Steve before you bought the tix.

It is widely known that Steve uses his shows to get up on the soap box. Always has too. The first time I saw Steve, opening for Dylan back in 1988, he made a big anti death penalty speech. So he's been sermonizing during shows for at least 20 years now. Oh yeah...he blew Dylan right off the stage that night too...it was back in the bad ol' GE Smith days. I've been a big fan of Steve Earle ever since.

Lesson learned. Do your homework before you buy tix to a show. You are not just going for the music, like it or not. Take a few minutes to do some research on the internet. You can cut down on some bad concert experiences with a little extra effort.
7th July 2007 12:35 PM
jostorm I consider myself "told".

May I come out from under the bed now?

Yes, you are right, we simply didn't know what to expect, and from then on have given his live performances a miss. We still buy the CDs, though, in the vain hope that a substancial amount of his revenue will go towards righting this world's wrongs.....
7th July 2007 12:44 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, that is a vain hope. Steve doesn't sell enough records to make a substantial amount of money. I'll bet that he's lucky to break even on his CD sales.

He makes his bucks on publishing royalties and touring.
7th July 2007 01:14 PM
Gazza
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Yeah, that is a vain hope. Steve doesn't sell enough records to make a substantial amount of money. I'll bet that he's lucky to break even on his CD sales.

He makes his bucks on publishing royalties and touring.

I think he said in an interview a couple of years ago that his albums tend to all shift in the vicinity of about 100,000
8th July 2007 08:53 PM
ListenToTheLion Steve's preaching is indeed very boring. When he just plays his songs the magic is there.
Same can be said about Patti Smith.
8th July 2007 08:56 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:
Steve's preaching is indeed very boring. When he just plays his songs the magic is there.

leave politik to Gordon Brown and Bush's sucessor, hopefully Hilary Clinton. Political lyrics are fine, but theres a line to be drawn, Bono needs to heed this too
8th July 2007 10:16 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:
Steve's preaching is indeed very boring. When he just plays his songs the magic is there.

i don't have the patience to listen to either him or patti preach...bruuuuuuuce on the other hand can tell an awesome story.

the boss is an awesome story teller.....just listen to the story before he busts into 'the river' off of live 75-85. he talks about him and his papa not getting along....and then at the end they make up.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)