ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: GAZZA's Adventures. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
30th June 2007 03:40 PM
LadyJane UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE

I am THRILLED beyond word for all of you!!!!!!!!

Once you get back down to Earth, I want to read reviews of the shows.

Pretty Please.

LJ.
30th June 2007 03:42 PM
pdog
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE

Pretty Please.

LJ.

I forgot they went to a show too... I was captivated by a hotel lobby and elevator stories...
30th June 2007 03:48 PM
fireontheplatter i think you made up the 'rat bastid' part....other than that, a great story
30th June 2007 03:49 PM
pdog
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
i think .............

I doubt that is possible!
30th June 2007 03:50 PM
LadyJane
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
i think you made up the 'rat bastid' part....other than that, a great story

Oh no he didn't.
You don't know Mary.
I want to know what she and Cohl spoke about.
As she was not taken into custody by the Madrid police, I take it she maintained her composure.

LJ.
30th June 2007 03:51 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
pdog wrote:

I doubt that is possible!

here you go again.
30th June 2007 03:52 PM
Erik_Snow Thanks for sharing Gazza,
that's the typical Rolling Stones meeting - in some ways
-Jagger avoids eye contact apart from with some younger girls
- Nobody remember any details from Keith - like if they saw a ghost
- Everyone tells white lies to the 3rd party - Blondie, Lisa and Darryl
- Charlie is a gentleman
30th June 2007 03:52 PM
pdog
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

here you go again.

For someone whose sense of humor seems to be misunderstood, you sure as shit got thin skin...
30th June 2007 03:56 PM
Fiji Joe Great stories!...Good work all the way around...
30th June 2007 04:01 PM
Gazza
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

Thanks. But I can assure you, it wasnt made up. LOL

I merely thought about saying it. She actually did.
[Edited by Gazza]
30th June 2007 04:05 PM
pdog
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Thanks. But I can assure you, it wasnt made up. LOL

I merely thought about saying it. She actually did.
[Edited by Gazza]

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl!
30th June 2007 04:10 PM
mojoman
quote:
Joey wrote:

mojo ........................................

Always look on the ' bright side ' of life :

" Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

If life seems jolly rotten
There's something you've forgotten
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

For life is quite absurd
And death's the final word
You must always face the curtain with a bow.
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

So always look on the bright side of death
Just before you draw your terminal breath

Life's a piece of shit
When you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
You'll see it's all a show
Keep 'em laughing as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you.

And always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the right side of life...
(Come on guys, cheer up!)
Always look on the bright side of life...
(Worse things happen at sea, you know.)
(I mean - what have you got to lose?)
(You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing.
What have you lost? Nothing!)
Always look on the right side of life... "

[Edited by Joey]

I have a vewy gweat fwiend in Wome called 'Biggus Dickus'
30th June 2007 04:13 PM
mojoman
quote:
pdog wrote:

my wife loves malls
30th June 2007 04:22 PM
Bitch Wow Gazza,1 I am so happy about Mary & your Stones encounters! What a gas reading these truly awe-inspiring reports! Thanks so much for the details and your cool descriptions of everyone. I loved reading every word!
30th June 2007 04:49 PM
Gazza
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE

Pretty Please.

LJ.

We kinda did one from Lisbon. I'll get to Madrid shortly, I hope
30th June 2007 04:52 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Gazza ........................................

Keith Moon was in town last night for the Roger Water's gig at THE QWEST CENTER . Afterwards we waited for you INTERMINABLY at ' Barry O's ' in the Old Market ...... Where were you ?!

I drank three ' Jaggerbombs ' in your honor and Keith drank TEN !

Frig !

J. " Snuggles " Fly !

30th June 2007 04:53 PM
Gazza
quote:
Joey wrote:
Keith Moon was in town last night for the Roger Water's gig at THE QWEST CENTER . Afterwards we waited for you INTERMINABLY at ' Barry O's ' in the Old Market ...... Where were you ?!

En route from Madrid, but I got sidetracked!
30th June 2007 05:05 PM
LadyJane
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I was referring to Madrid as you and GTRM both stated it was the BEST show of the entire ABB Tour.

Take your time, for God's sake.

I can't even believe you are staying up late to do the setlist.

You rule!!

LJ.
30th June 2007 06:37 PM
Gazza
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

I was referring to Madrid as you and GTRM both stated it was the BEST show of the entire ABB Tour.

Take your time, for God's sake.

I can't even believe you are staying up late to do the setlist.

You rule!!

LJ.

I only got up at 2 pm today..LOL
30th June 2007 06:39 PM
LadyJane The more I think about it.
Mick pisses me off.
WTF is up his ass that he can't even make EYE contact with the fans.

I'm gonna have to have a talk with him.

LJ.
30th June 2007 06:43 PM
jaggergurl I can't even think of anything to say.. those descriptions of those AMAZING adventures just makes me smile from the heart for both of you great people... FANTASTIC!!!!!

Gazza, reading your words, it makes you feel like you are right there!! THANKS SO MUCH for sharing your adventures with all of us.. and that header... wow!!! MARY & CHARLIE WATTS!!! THAT IS SO COOL!!!
30th June 2007 06:44 PM
glencar
quote:
Joey wrote:

Gazza ........................................

I drank three ' Jaggerbombs ' in your honor and Keith drank TEN !

Frig !

J. " Snuggles " Fly !

Joey I hear Keef & Ronnie are flying over there tonight for a special appearance. please be prepared to buy several rounds.
1st July 2007 01:42 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The "group" pix taken above were at lunchtime in our hotel just after we'd all checked out. Some of our party were flying on to El Ejido, some back to England and Mary and myself on to Dublin. As our flight wasnt scheduled to leave until 6.35 pm, we had a couple of hours to kill.

The plan was we'd go for some lunch, maybe take a quick look around the Stones hotel (maybe for 30 mins or so) and then back to the hotel to get a taxi to the airport at around 3.30. We got to the hotel around 2.30 (hadnt managed to get any lunch) which was about a 20 minute walk from our own hotel.

Didnt expect much to be happening, but I figured something may be possible when the first person I saw as soon as I walked in the door was Bobby Keys, who was walking out with his luggage. So, we decided to discreetly hang around in the lobby, near to the elevators (a follow on form our Lisbon experience). Chuck Leavell came past, seemed to remember us from Lisbon and said hello again. A very laid back Bernard Fowlwer was then checkin'out so we had a chat with him for a couple of minutes, got a pic of him with Mary, and then went back to where we were. The hotel staff were very relaxed. I think they could sense we werent going to plague anyone or be overbearing, as after we'd said hello to anyone (or got a pic) we'd just leave them alone.

Thankfully, there were only a small number of people in the lobby area, which helps matters greatly. It reduces the risk of some demanding over-enthusiastic idiot ruining things for everyone.

A few band personnel such as Arnold Dunn and assorted bodyguards were hovering around, some of the horn section were leaving, so we figured the Stones must still be in the hotel and due to leave relatively soon. The issue was that, even though we had a great vantage point, would we get to actually see them as it was now past 3 pm and we were getting pushed for time. We were sitting down again when Cohl walked past us. I gave Mary a nudge, and she quite audibly sneered "Rat bastid" in his general direction. Fortunately no one heard. LOL.

Chuck came past with his wife, finally leaving the hotel and turned and waved goodbye to us. Very nice of him. Then we saw Lisa emerge into the lobby and shuffled over to speak to her before she went out the door. She was really sweet. I told her (in all sincerity) that I'd never heard her sing anything as well as she'd done "Night Time" the night before. That definitely secured the two photos we got. LOL. Darryl Jones came out of the elevator,laden down with bags (you'd think they'd get someone to do this for him) shook hands and we spoke to him for a minute or so.

By this stage, the only band personnel left to come out were the Stones themselves. It was now about 3.30. We'd decided to bite the bullet and stay until 4, cab it to the hotel, get the driver to wait til we grabbed our luggage and then go to the airport. Cohl came out of the bar again and squinted across the lobby at Mary's "Too Tough to Die" t-shirt. She decided to walk over to him, and as she got there someone handed him a cellphone. He gestured to her to wait a second, finished his call and then they had a brief chat. I said hello to him and wished him a safe trip. I'd no time to discuss ticket prices or tarps!! Mary said that she'd heard him say to the person on the phone that "Mick is leaving at 4 pm". Christ, are we going to have time for this or what, I thought.

So we stood at the top of the steps in the lobby, watching elevators descend and being disappointed when "ordinary people" emerged from them. At this point, Charlie emerges from the side of the lobby and walks down the steps about 5 yards from us. Having had our moment with him two days ago, we decided not to bother him again, but the immaculate white suit he had on couldnt pass without comment.

Me - Hello again, Charlie
Charlie - (recognising us) - Hi there!
Me - Nice suit, mate!
Charlie (laughing and looking down at it) - Thanks!

At this point, I'm standing about ten yards in front of the elevator, and Mary is in front of me, talking to me and with her back to it. 3.40 pm. The elevator opens, and my mug must have been a picture, as my jaw drops and I simply utter "Oh... Fuck!" Mick emerges from the elevator with bodyguard in tow, who sees my camera, makes sure he's in between us both and looks at us and says "no photos please". Fair enough. This I expected and had been told about. Mick is TOTALLY focussed on getting down the stairs, through the lobby and out the door without making eye contact with anyone. As he gets to within five feet of us, we say hi to him, he turns very quickly, says 'hi' back and on he goes, only to stop briefly on the bottom of the stair to turn and say something to a couple of girls (!!). Like the rest of the band when you see them first, your first impression is how small and thin they all look. Mick obviously looks healthier than the rest, but there really is nothing of him.

That only leaves Keith & Woody. We're surprised Woody hasnt emerged and are half expecting Keith to be way behind everyone else. A slightly larger crowd has gathered, so the staff politely ask us to move to the side a little - presumably so as whoever is coming next can get out OK. It's now almost 3.50. More elevator doors open and various people emerge. I am beginning to hate them. Then, all of a sudden, the elevator descends again, it opens (it probably took about a second, but it seemed to take hours), and my next words were a quite audible gasp of "Oh Fucking Christ..". Keith's standing there, in a cool waistcoat, with shades and hat, looking as cool as fuck, standing against the back of the elevator with his legs at an angle in that little pose he has. Like I said earlier, an image I'll take to my grave.

Out he comes with the 2 bodyguards, and in the space of about 5- 10 seconds a few of us get a quick handshake, and a reply to our various greetings of 'hi keith', 'we love ya, keith' etc. I have NO idea what he said. I have also NO idea what his face was like. All I can remember is a pair of shades and a hat walking past me and shaking hands with a limb that seemed to emerge from underneath them. Any other attempt at recalling detail is gone. If you'd told me that my head had exploded, I wouldnt have known. It was REALLY too difficult to have got a pic at close proximity with 2 guys beside him, but I got one of him walking through the lobby.

We hung around for another ten minutes and the absence of pretty much any Stones people running around suggested that we'd missed Woody, so we decided to end our expedition on that little high note and try and make our plane. The lunch would have to wait another time....

[Edited by Gazza]

Gary, thanks so much for getting it all down in black & white (actually, yellow & black...lol) so eloquently. That's exactly how it all happened, word for word, moment by moment. Seeing Keith come out of that elevator and shaking his hand is something I'll never, ever forget. Lucky for us we're two tenacious (but polite) bastards, eh? Considering it was my last day - nay, my last hour - in town, I couldn't have asked for a better cherry to top the cake. What a day...what a week!

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
1st July 2007 02:31 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

...That elevator door opening and seeing Keith standing there, resplendent in shades and hat is an image I'll take to my grave.

Have to say though I'm absolutely delighted for Mary more than anything that she got to shake Keith's hand. I have four more shows this summer, this was her last one and she came a long, long way, and it was her first time in Europe. Last night may well have been her last show, but if it was, her final memory of the trip before making a mad dash to the airport was a brief encounter with Keith. If thats a way of finishing (and lets hope it isnt) it was certainly a great way to do it.

That elevator door opening and seeing Keith standing there, resplendent in shades and hat (and skull scarf) is an image I'll take to my grave as well, along with shaking the great man's hand...as will meeting and being photographed with Mr. Charlie Watts. Add to that seeing Mick, and meeting and/or being photographed with the rest of the band - with the exception of Woody, but we'll save that for another day - and you have some impressive memories to cherish. That's not even taking into consideration the actual two SHOWS we saw in Lisbon and Madrid - both extraordinary performances, surpassing even the '06 Atlantic City show AND the three '98 MSG Bridges To Babylon shows that I'd seen. Not to mention the GREAT people I met this week: JoStorm, and timeisonmyside and his lovely wife from Rocks Off; Paulywaul, Beast, BarRoomQueen, LondonStone, and Mr. Jimmy from IORR; and David and Jennifer from Scotland - and you've got the makings of one memorable week.

What a blast it was hanging out with JoStorm, and what a lovely person. Thanks so much for the gifts, Jo. That was so thoughtful of you. And let's not forget the brownies - you're an excellent baker...lol! I only wish we'd had more time with you, but family comes first. I hope I get to see you again - you really are one in a million, my friend!

Gary, thanks for making this week so special and looking out for me during my time in Europe. You really were invaluable in helping me sort out all the minutiae that a trip like this involves, but more importantly, when it comes to being just good company, you're a blast to hang out with. Who else will balls their way into the Lisbon Ritz/Four Seasons and run up a bar tab of almost 100 euros for the chance of meeting the Stones? It's nice to find a kindred spirit who's as relentless as I am about such things and who's also a genuinely good person and a kind soul. I actually got more of a kick watching your delight at meeting Charlie, seeing Mick, and shaking Keith's hand - so to see you write the very same about me is quite something. You're a good friend - the absolute best of the best - and I thank you for the week of a lifetime. I couldn't have done it without you, kid.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
1st July 2007 02:41 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

Nope, I really did call him a rat bastard.
On the other hand, at around 3:30 when I actually walked up to the man and heard him say to whomever was on the other end of his cell phone, "We're leaving now. Mick's coming down at 4:00," I refrained from throttling him.
1st July 2007 02:44 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
pdog wrote:

Dat's Joisey, my friend!
1st July 2007 03:43 AM
Altamont What a great story, congrats GTRM and Gazza, totally cool!

Charlie was lucky to get his picture taken with you folks!
1st July 2007 11:12 AM
Martha
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
The more I think about it.
Mick pisses me off.
WTF is up his ass that he can't even make EYE contact with the fans.

I'm gonna have to have a talk with him.

LJ.

He's so cold, he's so goddamn COLD!

His eyes just FROZE!!!!

Tell him Sister!

:-)
1st July 2007 02:14 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
pdog wrote:

For someone whose sense of humor seems to be misunderstood, you sure as shit got thin skin...

ROFL.
1st July 2007 02:29 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Excellent story Gary! I will have a hard time in Copenhagen to follow in your footsteps.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)