ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Click the image for more information
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dave Alvin and The Guilty Men - FitzGerald’s - Berwyn, IL – July 3, 2006 Return to archive
6th July 2006 07:49 AM
Barney Fife Dave Alvin and The Guilty Men, FitzGerald’s - Berwyn, IL – July 3, 2006

The crowd for Dave Alvin shows is usually pretty peaceful, but by the second song of the night, a couple (that’s a man with what I presumed to be his woman) got thrown out of the bar by Bill FitzGerald’s brother. The alcohol had been flowing for many hours in mass quantities at The American Music Festival. Late in the gig, Bill FitzGerald almost had to throw another guy out who was getting a bit too close to pianist Joe Terry.

Chris Gaffney was not with Dave for this show, nor was Bobby Lloyd Hicks. Bobby has been replaced on drums by a guy from Chicago named Steve McGallion (sp?). Chris is currently on tour with his band The Hacienda Brothers. Joe Terry and Gregory Boaz are still with Dave on keyboards and bass respectively, as is Chris Miller on guitar and steel guitar.

Most of the time that Dave played “Ashgrove” in the last two years, he has made it part of a medley preceded by “Somewhere in Time,” but this night he played it by itself.

During “Marie Marie,” Dave brought out a guy to play harmonica who Dave credited with giving him his start in music. The story goes that this guy is the one who suggested to older brother Phil Alvin that Dave be allowed to play guitar for a wedding gig that Phil had gotten. Frank Farello (sp?)

Dave paid tribute to Gary the sound engineer in saying that in all the years he played there, Gary has never asked Dave to turn down his guitar. And as a guitar player, I can tell you from first hand experience that’s important!

For the first encore, Dave played another tune from his newest album, Brian Wilson’s Surfer Girl. Then at the end of that, he broke into his Zydeco hit, Marie, Marie.

For the second of the two encores Dave asked for requests. I was yelling for “Wanda and Duane” and one or two other people were as well, however “Romeo’s Escape” won out. This was just as well because Dave did a very inspired version of it. In the part about the cowgirl taking the guy home, Dave paid tribute to two fallen Beat Farmers friends by singing that she “took Buddy Blue and Country Dick home.”

That song became a medley as Dave segued into Willie Dixon’s “Mellow Down Easy” that Little Walter made famous, thereby paying tribute to the Chicago blues. Frank Farello had an extended harmonic solo on that one which ended up being the last song of the night. At a few minutes past 1:30 in the morning and after four days of The American Music Festival, the audience was pretty well satisfied.

The whole show was about two hours in total. The set list looks kind of short, but a lot of the songs were long versions.

Out in California
Sinful Daughter
Redneck Friend
Abilene
Blind Love
Between The Cracks
Out of Control
Trouble Bound
Dry River
Ashgrove
Fourth of July

Encores:

Surfer Girl
Marie, Marie -> So Long Baby, Goodbye

Romeo’s Escape -> Mellow Down Easy
7th July 2006 12:47 AM
Barney Fife Photos by PolkDog:

7th July 2006 08:16 AM
polksalad69
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:
Photos by PolkDog:

was it guitar heroes day at the fest or what??? before Dave closed the fest...

Dale Watson

Jon Dee Graham

Bill Kirchen & Lisa P

John Mooney

7th July 2006 09:37 AM
nanatod
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:
Dave Alvin and The Guilty Men, FitzGerald’s - Berwyn, IL – July 3, 2006
Out in California
Sinful Daughter
Redneck Friend
Abilene
Blind Love
Between The Cracks
Out of Control
Trouble Bound
Dry River
Ashgrove
Fourth of July
Encores:
Surfer Girl
Marie, Marie -> So Long Baby, Goodbye
Romeo’s Escape -> Mellow Down Easy

Where's "American Music" (among others)?
7th July 2006 07:14 PM
polksalad69
quote:
nanatod wrote:

Where's "American Music" (among others)?

good catch, he didn't play it
11th July 2006 03:20 AM
Barney Fife
quote:
polksalad69 wrote:

good catch, he didn't play it

Yeah, that's rather rare that he wouldn't play it, but you have to figure with the way the "Dave Alvin Catalogue" has expanded in the last few years, you are not going to hear some of those gems as often. Heck, Dave doesn't do the Jubilee Train->Do-Re-Mi->Promised Land medley anymore.

I'm in California right now. I spent the night in Bakersfield Friday and then went to Buck Owens' Crystal Palace and Museum and spent about an hour there. There were tons of photos to see and some cool guitars and other stuff. Then I went up the fabled Highway 99 through the San Joaquin Valley on my way to Sequoia National Park Saturday afternoon. Now I'm in the LA area - went to Hollywood tonight and saw the walk of stars. Haven't been to Dave's hometown of Downey yet, but did see the sign for "the 605 Freeway" that he sings about in "Wanda and Duane."

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)