ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Click the image for more information
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: mick's dancing Return to archive
6th July 2006 07:30 AM
Rambler I just wanted to know what you all think of this....I recently read some comments made by John Lennon on how mick jagger was a "joke" and that his dancing was affeminate.
I think Mick's dancing is superb for a white guy and a crucial part of the show...hmmmmmm....do I smell a little jealousy here?
6th July 2006 08:01 AM
Bruno John was very angry and jealous by that time. He couldnīt accept the Stones being more popular than him or the Beatles.

Mickīs dancing is a bit of the history of our world and is one of the things that make The Rolling Stones the greatest band on Earth.
6th July 2006 08:06 AM
Rambler
quote:
Bruno wrote:
Mickīs dancing is a bit of the history of our world and is one of the things that make The Rolling Stones the greatest band on Earth.

I agree,sure he has some silly steps sometimes,but sometimes his steps are so good you have to look again to see if he's really white you know?And to keep in tune with all that jumping and grinding is an art from in itself.;-)
6th July 2006 08:07 AM
clubred Don't beleive that ! Lennon had never know anything about dancing. Seeing Lennon dancing that would be the joke. I don't know when Lennon said that (obviously before 80), but yes before the 80's Jagger's dancing was a kind of affeminate (but we like it).
However today, Mick looks a little bit mechanical on stage, a lot less natural and fluid than before, a lot less spontaneity than in the 70's for example. It's obvious if you watch for instance Ladies & Gentleman in a row with any show from the current tour or the ones before.
But with thousands of shows behind him, I guess it's the way it goes. He is still the best rock performer on stage, and not only as a dancer.

quote:
Rambler wrote:
I just wanted to know what you all think of this....I recently read some comments made by John Lennon on how mick jagger was a "joke" and that his dancing was affeminate.
I think Mick's dancing is superb for a white guy and a crucial part of the show...hmmmmmm....do I smell a little jealousy here?

6th July 2006 08:16 AM
Rambler I can't even think of anybody that even comes close to the energy and showmanship the Stones have,and that not only includes Sir Mick but the others as well.
And Mr.Lennon made a lot of silly comments about other things as well,so it isn't like he was any kind of authority.lol
6th July 2006 10:39 AM
luxury1 yeah, thanks. I've been showing Mick some moves this tour.......
6th July 2006 10:41 AM
jb Very boring and parody like...he needs to stop trying so hard.
6th July 2006 10:45 AM
star star i know its a tired cliche- but its all very embarrassing at sixty odd- he was the man in the 1970's, an electric performer and showman, but now its like watching tom jones sing "sex bomb" and thrust his hips at some middle aged women- jagger should take a leaf out of the who's book and be more laid back, jeans and shirt rather than fancy footwork and all this pantomine costume
6th July 2006 10:51 AM
jb
quote:
star star wrote:
i know its a tired cliche- but its all very embarrassing at sixty odd- he was the man in the 1970's, an electric performer and showman, but now its like watching tom jones sing "sex bomb" and thrust his hips at some middle aged women- jagger should take a leaf out of the who's book and be more laid back, jeans and shirt rather than fancy footwork and all this pantomine costume

The outfits, particularly Vegas like ones, are truly embaraasing. He can dance fine, but the moves are not spantaneous or exciting..totally staged .
6th July 2006 01:34 PM
Rambler I say more power to him for doing it at his age.He's showing everyone you don't die at 40,which is what most people think.;-)
6th July 2006 01:37 PM
jb He had better moves in the taylor era:

http://www.envision-stock.com/Pix/MISC/090/090835-PJ-01_T.JPG
6th July 2006 02:12 PM
texile
quote:
jb wrote:

The outfits, particularly Vegas like ones, are truly embaraasing. He can dance fine, but the moves are not spantaneous or exciting..totally staged .

i grew up with the jagger of the 80s and on....
when he had already adopted those phony, mannered moves.
i was amazed the first time i saw gimme shelter and later ladies and gentlemen - he was fucking electric..
not so much dancing as just moving to the music.
his best moves were 72, 73 tours....
6th July 2006 02:14 PM
jb
quote:
texile wrote:

i grew up with the jagger of the 80s and on....
when he had already adopted those phony, mannered moves.
i was amazed the first time i saw gimme shelter and later ladies and gentlemen - he was fucking electric..
not so much dancing as just moving to the music.
his best moves were 72, 73 tours....

100% correct boss.
6th July 2006 03:50 PM
gorda I think Micky's dancing is sexy! He moves with the music. It's not some choreographed thing, he just moves freely!

The only thing, I hate is when he's dancing with Lisa. Why do we need Lisa up there? Eye candy for the guys, I guess?

Frankly, I could do without her performance. Also, her voice is irratating as hell. I can't stand it.

I will never, ever go to another Rolling Stones' concert again. I'm going to Europe again this summer. And, I could go to a show, but I'm not going to, because I don't want to see that ho' and have her ruin everything for me!
6th July 2006 03:51 PM
pdog Kiss My Big Fat Mexican ASS
Golda Meir
6th July 2006 03:54 PM
jb The tent is really cool-Golda Meir
6th July 2006 03:58 PM
pdog Dog Shit In The Doorway
Golda Meir
6th July 2006 03:58 PM
Dick Bush The unique success of the Rolling Stones was made and is still kept by the equal use of the great ass shaking and elusive guitar playing, and both Mick and Keef achieved perfectionon their fields.

Don't blame Mick for not being able to do something else, you are insulting so many people who just like that!!
6th July 2006 03:59 PM
pdog Yoko has alot of pubic hair for an asian
Golda Meir
6th July 2006 04:04 PM
Dick Bush
quote:
pdog wrote:
Yoko has alot of pubic hair for an asian
Golda Meir

Well,

I helped the mother nature a bit, otherwise, my tinny avatar wouldn't make sense... But I helped the tinny John too!!
6th July 2006 04:08 PM
pdog
quote:
Dick Bush wrote:

Well,

I helped the mother nature a bit, otherwise, my tinny avatar wouldn't make sense... But I helped the tinny John too!!

Are you saying you touched them there?
*Shiver*
6th July 2006 04:28 PM
Dick Bush
quote:
pdog wrote:

Are you saying you touched them there?
*Shiver*

LOLZ!!!!
6th July 2006 05:51 PM
yellerstang I got this off of www.timeisonourside.com

It's about Mick's performance onstage...

"When you first walk on(stage), it's really - let me think. I walk out to an empty stage; I'm very confident. This is what I do. I've done it so many times. I'm not at all nervous about going on. It feels very comfortable and like home. But having said that, there's certain feelings that you get, you know: Jesus, all those people! There's a few empty seats sometimes, I see, and you say, Oh, God, how many empty seats? And funny things that you think of - just silly things - and you must not think of those, because as soon as you start thinking, I hope that the heavy rains that we've had in London don't block the gutters up (laughs) and the roof leaks again. (Laughs) It's just - anything can come into your mind, but you have to throw it out because you just have to really concentrate on what you're doing.
- Mick Jagger, 1995

It's a strange thing... From the audience you feel a tremendous energy. It is directed to - or at - you. It is, you feel, as if they are trying to say what they want from life, or what they want from me - as a person, as a performer. But you do feel they NEED something.

- Mick Jagger, 1967

I don't understand the connection between music and violence. People are always trying to explain it to me and I just blindly carry on. I just know that I get very aroused by music, but it doesn't arouse me violently. I never went to a rock and roll show and wanted to smash the windows or beat up anybody afterward. I feel more sexual then actually physically violent.

- Mick Jagger, 1969

Me and Nureyev have flaming rows about whether it takes more talent and discipline to be a ballet dancer or a pop singer. He used to put me down a lot, but I think I've converted him. I told him I would have wanted to dance myself, but I never had the opportunity.

- Mick Jagger, 1972

It's not really difficult to be a better dancer than I am. I think I'm a terrible dancer, and I'd love to have gone to school and learned it properly, but I don't have the time nor the discipline. That's very kind of (Nureyev to say I'm a terrific dancer), because he's a GREAT dancer. I can't dance a waltz or a quickstep. I can't dance steps. I just leap about, and sometimes it's very ungainly. It's hard dancing while you're singing.

- Mick Jagger, 1978

It has become apparent to certains persons who did not previously recognize it - critics and the like - that Mick Jagger has perhaps the single greatest talent for putting a song across of anyone in the history of the performing arts. In his movements he has somehow combined the most dramatic qualities of James Brown, Rudolf Nureyev, and Marcel Marceau. He makes all previous movers - Elvis, Sammy Davis, Janis Joplin, and even (saints protect me from sacrilege) the great James B. himself - appear to be waist deep in the grimpenmire. This tradition (of movin' and groovin') had its most modest beginning with Cab Calloway at the Cotton Club in Harlem where he would occasionally strut or slink about in front of the bandstand by way of "illustrating" a number. After each, he would take his bow, mopping his forehead, beaming up his gratitude for the applause as he reverted to his "normal" self for the next downbeat (and invariably a change of pace). The phenomenal thing Jagger has accomplished is to have projected an image so overwhelmingly intense and so incredibly comprehensive that it embraces the totality of his work - so that there is virtually no distinction between the person and the song. This is all the more remarkable when it is realized that there is also virtually no connection between the public, midnight rambler image of Jagger and the man himself...

- Terry Southerner, writer, 1972

Mick is probably the best thing live on stage. He very rarely stands there and sings a song. He performs every song. James Brown was the same: he would sing immaculately and perform every song with a bit of show in the middle of it. Mick learned a lot of that off people like Brown - it's from a very old school.

- Charlie Watts, 1998

He used to dance. Now it is a dance with ATHLETICS. It's not vintage Jagger, but something new - Jagger revved up into high gear. The new Jagger onstage has changed him somewhat... What shocked (America) about Jagger was not, in the end, his long hair or his pouty, salubrious lips or his androgeneity, although those certainly cut hard across the grain. What was really upsetting was what he did with his body. This has always been the cutting edge in rock roles, even way before Elvis' pelvis - what men did with their bodies. There's no formula in what Jagger does - at least not one that is apparent. He flops. His joints won't hold. He sticks some part of himself in your face and wiggles whatever is closest. It isn't even the sexuality of the act that's upsetting; he's never shown off his crotch or derričre like every other two-bit lounge act. If anything, what he's flaunted has been pansexuality, a kind of I'll-take-it-all. But even this has been far less devastating than the anarchy of it all. To Jagger, the stage is more than the kind of narrow space used mostly laterally by rockers; it has a dramatic depth to be used choreographically. Jagger's act is part mime, part dance. It has less to do with a display of power - for that you have to go to heavy metal - than with manipulation. There's more sinuousness than raw strength in what he does. And from this comes his real impact. With every move he makes, he seems to be daring the audience to... what? Grab him? Move? Dance? Fight back? It really doesn't matter exactly. He's taunting you to do something...

- Peter Goddard, The Last Tour (1982)

It's very high adrenalin. If you've ever been in this high-adrenalin situation - like driving a car very fast or being in a championship basketball team in the finals or whatever it was - it's really high adrenalin. Our concerts do have a lot in common with sporting events. I mean, they're held in the same places. And they have this kind of feeling. Obviously, what's lacking is the competition aspect, but there is a certain amount of the same feeling - that you're always present at the event. You know, the event is important... But it's quite hard to describe just in trying to offer a description. I've sometimes tried to write it down. I have written it down - what it's like, what you feel like. But there's so much going on, it's hard unless you're really in a stream-of-consciousness thing. Because there are so many references: Oh, I'm doing this, and I'm doing that, and you're sort of watching yourself doing it. Oh God, look at that girl; she's rather pretty. Don't concentrate on her! But it's good to concentrate on her, she's good to contact one-on-one. Sometimes I try to do that. They're actually real people, not just a sea of people. You can see this girl has come, and she's got this dress on and so on, and so you make good contact with one or two people. And then you make contact with the rest of the band. You might give a look-see if everyone's all right.

- Mick Jagger, 1995

I get a strange feeling onstage. I feel all this energy coming from an audience. They need

something from life and are trying to get it from us... I entice the audience, of course I do. I do it every way I can think of... What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance, and all dancing is a replacement for sex. What really upsets people is that I'm a man and not a woman. I don't do anything more than a lot of girl dancers, but they're accepted because it's a man's world. What I do is very much the same as a girl's striptease dance.
- MickJagger, 1966

At some point in the show, you just lose it. You get such interaction with the audience that it feels really good. And it should be pushed. You should let yourself go. I mean, have those moments when you really are quite out of your brain... It comes in isolated moments. It's just a transcendent moment - I don't know whether you can say it's joyful. Sometimes it can be joyful; sometimes it's just crazy.

- Mick Jagger, 1995

I'm not afraid to perform. I'm happy performing. I'm at the rehearsal stage out there in the aircraft hanger every day, imagining them all there. Glad that they'll be there!

- Mick Jagger, 1994, during the Voodoo Lounge tour rehearsals

6th July 2006 06:22 PM
Spru Mick is the best frontman, performer, and dancer in rock history. He revolutionized the frontman aspect of a band, pretty much any frontman in anything resembling a rock band owes something to Jagger and, whether they know it or not, have been influenced by MJ is one way or another.
6th July 2006 09:32 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Spru wrote:
Mick is the best frontman, performer, and dancer in rock history. He revolutionized the frontman aspect of a band, pretty much any frontman in anything resembling a rock band owes something to Jagger and, whether they know it or not, have been influenced by MJ is one way or another.

You nailed it.
7th July 2006 12:27 AM
Bitch MICK's still got IT!

MICK was so sexy at the Superbowl! If you watch ROUGH JUSTICE when MICK sings put your lips to my hips baby MICK shakes his body in such a sexy way my jaw dropped open. I was stunned at how incredible MICK dances and rocks his hips! OMG MICK is fucking incredible the way he moves!

In the video RAIN FALL DOWN the words everybody's jazzed are described by MICK's hand gestures. So cool when MICK shakes his sweet ass in the camera too, he's such a tease!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)