ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Click the image for more information
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Halifax Council Approves Sept 23 Concert Return to archive
5th July 2006 09:43 AM
gimmekeef July 5, 2006

It’s only rock ’n’ roll, but Mayor Kelly likes it
City to roll out $100,000 red carpet for rumoured Stones concert

Mick Jagger performs with the Rolling Stones in Moncton, N.B., last summer. (File)

By BILL POWER Staff Reporter

Many people were humming familiar rock tunes at Halifax city hall Tuesday as council agreed to pony up $100,000 to help open the door for what Mayor Peter Kelly described as the biggest entertainment event in the city’s history.

The wallet was out but lips were sealed as to what bands are expected to play at a massive concert on the Halifax Commons that is expected to draw more people than the memorable event that welcomed Pope John Paul II to the city in 1984.

"I do not want to say anything to fuel the already wild speculation that is underway about which acts are expected," the mayor said.

There have been widespread rumours that Mick and Keith and the boys will headline the show. But the phrase Rolling Stones was not heard officially at city hall on Tuesday.

All that is known is major acts and huge crowds are expected.

"Outlying hotels and motels will benefit," Mr. Kelly said.

He confirmed Sept. 23 is a date that has been mentioned in negotiations between the World Trade and Convention Centre and Donald K. Donald Promotions of Montreal, but logistics and the municipality’s expected liabilities have dominated the talks. The lineup of performers has not been finalized, he said.

Mr. Kelly said it is up to the promoter to announce the lineup. Officials with Donald K. Donald did not respond to inquiries Tuesday.

The mayor did confirm the concert will occur on the Halifax Commons and not on Citadel Hill, a smaller venue that has hosted several major rock shows.

He said the configuration of the concert site may resemble the arrangement for the pope’s visit, when a stage was erected near the intersection of Cogswell and North Park streets and an estimated 30,000 people turned out to hear him speak.

Mr. Kelly said the municipality will hold firm on its $100,000 share of the anticipated costs of hosting the concert. The money will go toward extra policing and cleanup expenses.

He defended holding closed-door talks on the concert contract at city hall. The talks went on for about two hours before a public session of regional council got underway.

"The contractual signoffs will be soon, within the next two weeks," he said. "And we had to understand the parameters that we would be engaged in this process."

But two councillors stormed out of the closed session, complaining the contract talks should be open to the public.

"The taxpayers are footing the bills, they should know what is happening," Coun. Gloria McCluskey (Dartmouth Centre) complained after she walked out.

She paced the hallway for some time and then headed to the councillors’ offices after council shot down her bid to discuss the contract in public.

Ms. McCluskey said a similar sort of "unnecessary" secrecy has surrounded talks relating to Halifax’s bid to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

"It’s a waste of time being in there until we find out what we’re voting on," said Coun. Andrew Younger (East Dartmouth-The Lakes), who also walked out.

He, too, favoured discussing the contract at a regular council meeting open to the public.

Mr. Kelly stood by the decision to discuss the contract in private and said details will be publicized in the coming weeks.

"It will be one of the largest events we’ve held," he said. "There were 30,000 people when the pope was here. This one is beyond that."

At Tuesday night’s regular council meeting, councillors formally agreed to the $100,000 commitment in a 17-4 vote with minimal debate.

( [email protected])

Back to the The Halifax Chronicle-Herald Online on CANOE.

For today's online edition visit the The Halifax Chronicle-Herald Online at http://thechronicleherald.ca/.

Inside CANOE.CASLAM! SportsJam! ShowbizCANOE TravelCNEWSCANOE MoneyC-HealthLIFEWISEHome & GardenAUTONETflirt.canoe.caNewsstandSUN TVWHAM! GamingAllPopCANOE LIVEEn Français------------Free E-Mailshop.canoe.caJobboomCareerConnectionClassified ExtraObituaries TodayHotels------------WeatherHoroscopesLotteriesEcardsCrosswordScoreboardNews TickerSports TickerTV ListingsMovie ListingsCLIVE ConcertsMutual FundsStocksFeedbackIndex

5th July 2006 10:26 AM
jb Charlie won't like the headline....
5th July 2006 12:13 PM
glencar Yet he'll still take the money!
5th July 2006 12:15 PM
jb mini tour=tough sell
5th July 2006 12:18 PM
glencar Agreed!
5th July 2006 12:20 PM
jb [quote]glencar wrote:
Agreed!
[/quot

attendance will be down, prices higher.
5th July 2006 12:22 PM
Some Guy concert is a dud.
5th July 2006 12:23 PM
glencar "bust" is the correct word, my georgian pal!
5th July 2006 12:23 PM
Some Guy dud is the new bust
5th July 2006 12:24 PM
glencar Funny man!!!
5th July 2006 12:24 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
[quote]glencar wrote:
Agreed!
[/quot

attendance will be down, prices higher.

Thankfully Young Jake (now called "Jacob") has come of age and can paper any house in North America, although many Euro shows will be a tough fill due to the lack of interest in the band. (Combined with David Hassellhoff's recent injury, and world cup fever)
5th July 2006 12:26 PM
glencar I will refrain from any posting about Jake Cohl.
5th July 2006 12:42 PM
Dan
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Thankfully Young Jake (now called "Jacob") has come of age and can paper any house in North America,

Where the hell are all these mythical free tickets? I only saw one, in Anaheim, and had to pay $20 for it.
5th July 2006 12:47 PM
gimmekeef Regardless of what happens elsewhere this Halifax show will be very well attended.Easy sell out...Look for other lesser market places too...Bigger demand if they've never/seldom been there...
5th July 2006 01:16 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Regardless of what happens elsewhere this Halifax show will be very well attended.Easy sell out...Look for other lesser market places too...Bigger demand if they've never/seldom been there...

Atlanta is home to many smart people.

See Moncton...

[Edited by Lazy Bones]
5th July 2006 01:18 PM
gimmekeef You headin down lazy?...Should be a great time...Schooner for all!
5th July 2006 01:31 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Dan wrote:

Where the hell are all these mythical free tickets? I only saw one, in Anaheim, and had to pay $20 for it.

I have heard rumors that there were tickets in Anaheim, but some had to pay $20.

These tickets are papered through the promoters, and many associated with the tour. VIP's are flown in, Corporations are given LARGE discounts on entire sections (See General Motors in Detroit). The freebies go out to the movers and shakers in the business world.
5th July 2006 01:33 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
You headin down lazy?...Should be a great time...Schooner for all!

It will be a great time - if it flies. Those Eastern kids know how to party.

No-can-do, though. I'm seeing Eric Clapton in Toronto the following day.

I'll have a few Moosehead's and relish a sold-out show in their honour, regardless!
5th July 2006 01:38 PM
jb Maybe Cindy Shehan and that perky breakfest crew from Fox can cover itz?
5th July 2006 01:51 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
jb wrote:
Maybe Cindy Shehan and that perky breakfest crew from Fox can cover itz?

Think they know where Halifax is?
5th July 2006 01:54 PM
jb
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

Think they know where Halifax is?

O'Riley will do a "factor" episode on it .
5th July 2006 03:11 PM
glencar My sister-in-law is from that area. You would think it was God's pasture to hear her talk about it.
8th July 2006 09:51 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Drop everything: Bring on the Stones

By Roger Taylor
chroncile herald
July 8, 2006

THE ROLLING STONES are considered by many to be the globe’s greatest rock band, so who am I to say it might not be such a great idea to bring them to Halifax on Sept. 23 for a concert on the Commons?

If the Stones do come to Halifax that weekend, however, it will be an embarrassment of riches for local businesses, which will already be benefiting from a multitude of other events planned for the same weekend, probably to the point where many will be forced to turn people away.

The biggest draw to the city on that Saturday, in addition to the Stones, will be the NHL exhibition game between the New York Islanders and the Boston Bruins, booked for the Metro Centre. The Toronto Maple Leafs and the Ottawa Senators will play a game the following day.

But that’s not all. One of my favourite Canadian singer-songwriters, Sarah Harmer, will be competing for audience with the Stones, and the NHL exhibition game, when she performs at the Rebecca Cohn Auditorium that evening.

And, don’t forget the closing gala for the Atlantic Film Festival, also scheduled for that Saturday night.

The Saint Mary’s Huskies football team will be hosting l’Université-de-Montréal Carabins at Husky Stadium on Saturday afternoon. And Dalhousie University’s men’s and women’s soccer teams will be hosting Memorial University in games at Wickwire Field.

There are plenty of other things going on that weekend, including the annual Word on the Street book festival, planned for Sept. 24 at the Cunard Event Centre (formally Pier 23) on the Halifax waterfront.

This might be one of those times the oft-used phrase "it’s a zoo" might truly be apt in describing the traffic and sea of humanity that will be invading peninsular Halifax.

Good luck trying to get around the city that weekend.

I also hope the RCMP is prepared for the amount of traffic coming from all over the place and funnelling into the strict confines of the peninsula. It should be bumper-to-bumper traffic on the highways leading to Halifax, and it will probably be the same when they leave.

Too bad the Stones couldn’t play Halifax on some other date or, as an alternative, have the concert at Truro Raceway or some similar venue that can be more easily accessed by multiple routes. Halifax would still benefit because it is just an hour’s drive away but for logistical reasons, the Halifax Commons might not make the best sense.

If the Stones do come to Halifax, the city will finally be able to remove that chip it has had on its shoulder ever since rival Moncton was able to attract the Stones last year.

Regional council voted to contribute $100,000 to the promoters who are said to be trying to bring the Stones to Halifax, and some were heard to boast Halifax will finally be able to show Moncton how to run an event of this size.

The arts community complains it is too difficult to find the kind of support the Stones seem to be getting from regional council. They suggest the $100,000 handed over to the promoters could have been better allocated to events such as the annual Atlantic Jazz Festival, which claims to attract 50,000 people over a number of days each July.

Last year, I wondered aloud why the Rolling Stones might have chosen to play Magnetic Hill rather than a venue in Halifax and mused that the veteran rockers have become little more than a bunch of has-beens willing to go anywhere for the money.

I can’t say my opinion of the Rolling Stones has changed much but I have to give them credit for their ability to create hype.

Moncton went way over budget for policing, and I don’t think the $100,000 contributed by Halifax regional council is going to cover the cost of policing the Halifax concert either. Then there is the cost of providing medical care, which also went over budget at the Magnetic Hill concert.

Then there will be cleanup during and after the concert. If Halifax matches Moncton in drawing 70,000 or more to the concert, the crowd will likely make the sports fields at the Commons unusable for the rest of the year, and they will probably need to be rehabilitated next year.

While September seems like a long way away right now, in reality, the Sept. 23 date doesn’t leave much time for the type of complex planning needed to host such an event.

Hopefully, Halifax will be up to the challenge.
8th July 2006 10:15 AM
gimmekeef Moncton vs Halifax?....who knew??
8th July 2006 04:23 PM
mac_daddy maybe robert frank (who lives up there) can schedule a screening of csblues to crrespond with the event - that would be friggin' sweet!!!!
8th July 2006 04:27 PM
TomL Nice but I had my share at SARS. That was my last big one. Great for NS.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)