ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Click the image for more information
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RIP Brian... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
5th July 2006 02:57 AM
pdog He Doth Not Sleep! He Hath Awakened From The Dream Of Life!
5th July 2006 04:07 AM
Starbuck
quote:
He had it all: the best band in the world, the looks, the fame, the fans, all the things money could buy him... It's really sad.

is this joshie's epitaph?
5th July 2006 04:23 AM
Altamont
quote:
Starbuck wrote:

is this joshie's epitaph?

Almost. It would include Joey as "life partner".
5th July 2006 07:20 AM
Sophia Graves
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

IMHO, that's a myth.

Anyhow; given the fact that anybody "could" play any instrument, would "that" make him/her a genius (sic)?

No.

A "multi-instrumentalist", maybe.
[Edited by MrPleasant]

the fact is that not anybody can play any instrument.
i think when someone is able to play about 60 instruments properly (especially at this age) then this person is a genius!
5th July 2006 10:24 AM
Gazza are there as many as 60 instruments??

Not being a smartarse, just curious - surely many of them are variations on each other (piano/organ/electric piano, etc)

I remember reading that Prince could play about 24 different instruments by the time he made his first record when he was about 18, which I thought was pretty astounding - 60 seems a bit unrealistic though, surely?

regardless of how many, its quite a talent to be proficient in that many, even if you didnt actually focus on one of them for long enough to be a 'genius' at it
5th July 2006 10:47 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Surely many of them are variations on each other (piano/organ/electric piano, etc)

Not necessarily my friend, for example some ROCC members are very good playing the organ but cannot play piano.
5th July 2006 10:58 AM
jb
quote:
Altamont wrote:

Almost. It would include Joey as "life partner".

Funny and good posting!!!!
5th July 2006 11:17 AM
Gazza
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

Not necessarily my friend, for example some ROCC members are very good playing the organ but cannot play piano.

Please send names by PM - thank you, please.
5th July 2006 11:28 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Please send names by PM - thank you, please.

I'm giving free lessons to some of them but need help, can you teach the European ROCC?
5th July 2006 11:30 AM
Gazza
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

I'm giving free lessons to some of them but need help, can you teach the European ROCC?

secret organisations usually have a secret 'handshake'

Maybe this is a variation on that theme
5th July 2006 11:30 AM
jb Why did Keith and Mick refuse to go?
5th July 2006 11:35 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl read this thread Josh, the answer is in full detail here.
6th July 2006 12:35 PM
Zambero Lethargic Quote:

"Is it just me, or is Brian Jones the most overrated musician of all time, not to mention a complete scumbag. Let's see: mediocre guitarist (though with the occasional shining moment like the slide on No Expectations), zero lyrics, zero singing, totally psychotic behavior (especially towards women, occasionally violently so), and becoming an utterly retarded drooling beast unable to care for himself."

1. Is it just me? Yes, just you, basically.

2. Complete scumbag? Likely true, the Stone whose real life lived up to the public image that was cleverly concocted by ALO. He'd never have made knighthood like his royal highass Sir Mick.

3. Mediocre guitarist? None of the original Stones were ace musicians, including Keith "Chuck Berry" Richards. It was the synergy of the 5 that made for a great band, including the unique way in which 2 guitarists worked together. This is one band that is far greater than the sum of its individual parts. I didn't hear you refer to Brian as a mediocre harp player by the way.

4. Zero lyrics? That was Mick's role. Who cares if he's no Dylan? It's the music that matters.

5. Zero singing? Not true. In the early days Mick was the sole lead singer. And it was none other than Brian who first insisted that the band incorporate backup and harmony vocals. Besides, all the Stones are technically "bad" vocalists anyway. Brian's co-vocals on "I Wanna Be Your Man" and "Walking The Dog" are both excetionally "bad". It's to Brian's credit that he never had to live down something as tripe as "In Another Land", or "On With The Show" for that matter.

6. Totally psychotic behavior? That's probably too strong a word, but you'd probably flip out too having to put up with all the crap that Brian did. But he did provide a lasting role model for Keith, as evidenced by his consistent pattern of over the edge behavior during the past 35 years.
6th July 2006 02:57 PM
GhostofBrianJones Before you lay into Brian and his so called lifestyle, I hope you
have read books on the Stones when they first came on the music
scene in the Sixties. There was a whole lot going on that a lot
of people don't really realize. Brian had his problems like Mick,
Keith, and Ronnie and Mick Taylor and even Charlie. It is time to
stop pointing fingers at just Brian. Remember without Brian Jones
there would be no Stones.
6th July 2006 04:24 PM
gypsy
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Mick was in Australia to film Ned Kelly. He had already delayed his departure a few weeks earlier to play the Hyde Park show and had agreed with the producers to fly out the day after the concert. He would have been sued had he delayed the production any further and his arrangements to leave the country were already made before Brian died. Marianne had a pretty valid reason for missing the funeral as she happened to be in a coma in Australia at the time having tried to kill herself.

Keith's official 'excuse' was that he was 'working'. Regardless of the nature of the problem between him and Brian regarding Anita, I've always found his non-appearance at Brian's funeral to be nothing short of despicable. Jagger's excuse was valid enough.

I have always thought that Keith didn't go to Brian's funeral because Anita was very close to delivering their first child at the time.
I really don't think it's a big deal that Keith didn't go to the funeral. Perhaps funerals are not one of his beliefs?I am part Native American, and we don't attend funerals because we wish to remember our dearly departed friends as they were when they were alive. I will never attend a funeral as it is against my personal beliefs.
As for Mick, I have always thought that he had his hands full with Marianne's drug use at the time. She did fall into a drug-induced coma only days after Brian's funeral. Perhaps she did a lot of heroin when she found out Brian died, and Mick was busy taking care of her.
6th July 2006 04:38 PM
Twostoned
quote:
GhostofBrianJones wrote:
Remember without Brian Jones
there would be no Stones.

No shit?
6th July 2006 04:56 PM
GhostofBrianJones Yea that's what I said and No Shit!
6th July 2006 06:37 PM
Gazza
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I really don't think it's a big deal that Keith didn't go to the funeral. Perhaps funerals are not one of his beliefs?

does he have any?

besides, he was at Stu's funeral - as was the entire band.

he was also a pallbearer at his future father-in-law's funeral, if I remember right

[Edited by Gazza]
6th July 2006 06:59 PM
MsJaneDoe Keith didn't attend Brian's funeral because he took away the woman Brian loved (Anita). He was then involved in taking away the group that Brian started and named.

For those who wish to claim that Brian didn't really make them successful; it's common knowledge that Brian wrote letters, made phone calls and booked all their early gigs.

Some have said that The Stones would have been a group without Brian (just under another name) but he was the driving force behind pushing them forward. Keith was too laid back and Mick was too undecided about leaving his schooling behind to put his faith behind a band.
7th July 2006 02:08 AM
Twostoned I still say people grieve in their own personal way and have their reasons. Plus they were all very young and foolish.
8th July 2006 09:18 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Time to remove the header. This is my humble tribute to the man who formed the Rolling Stones

In Memory of Brian Jones
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)