ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Click the image for more information
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Official ROCKS OFF World Cup Thread VOL. II Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
24th June 2006 05:47 PM
FrankiePeppers How sweet was Maxi's goal!? That was something else. Argentina v. Germany should be fantastic.
24th June 2006 06:29 PM
Gazza
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Argentina + Referee 2 - 1 Mexico

The card-eater, daltonic refereee didn't see a clear penalty, ate several red-cards and was a real fraud, the bastard gave Argentina the match.

Mexico was by far better than Argentina but as usual: Mexico played like never but lost as always

Fuck it!

Heinze should have been sent off, but to balance it up Argentina had a goal disallowed at the end of normal time which was NOT offside.

An incredible game. I think Argentina shaded it in the end, but a great performance by Mexico.

Maxi's goal was good enough to not only win the World Cup, but the Superbowl, Grand National and the Tour de France as well. Fantastic.
[Edited by Gazza]
24th June 2006 06:33 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Heinze should have been sent off, but to balance it up Argentina had a goal disallowed at the end of normal time which was NOT offside.

Yes it was NOT an off-side, I agree, but the "goal" was scored AFTER the referee whistled so it was a another red-card that this blinded (before daltonic) referee ate.

Now Go SPAIN!!!
24th June 2006 06:37 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl and you cannot say it would be a goal as the referee whistled and Mexico didn't follow
24th June 2006 07:00 PM
Madafaka Congrats Voodoo. An excellent match... I told you, Mexico is so difficult to us.

Maxi's goal... No words... I can say anything, because I have no voice enough!

BIG BBQ at my house tonight! Everyone's invited!

[Edited by Madafaka]
24th June 2006 07:40 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
BIG BBQ at my house tonight! Everyone's invited!

If you pay my flight I will be there, but please say Sol I'm gonna be there
24th June 2006 07:45 PM
Gazza
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
and you cannot say it would be a goal as the referee whistled and Mexico didn't follow

Gerardo - theyd still have scored. Even you wouldnt have failed to score, even if you were blind drunk and singing into your shoe, with your cock hanging out of your pants...
[Edited by Gazza]
24th June 2006 07:52 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Gerardo - theyd still have scored. Even you wouldn't have failed to score, even if you were blind drunk and singing into your shoe, with your cock hanging out of your pants...

LOL mate, great someone finally put a smile on my depressed face.
24th June 2006 07:57 PM
Gazza Mexico have been excellent to watch in this World Cup - it's a shame they had to go out so soon. Theyre a better side than some of the teams who WILL make the quarter finals.
24th June 2006 08:08 PM
albert Hi Voodoo,

I can imagine you are depressed!!

Just a word from me to cheer you up:

If we have to play Argentina again we will teach them to play soccer and will take the world cup back home!!

gr,
Albert
Holland
24th June 2006 10:13 PM
PartyDoll MEG Voodoo! Don't cry!!! Mexico played a great game and is a good team. Argentinia had Maxi.......

25th June 2006 05:22 AM
stewed & Keefed Argentina 2-1 Mexico (aet)

A wonder strike in extra-time from Maxi Rodriguez gave Argentina victory in a pulsating end-to-end encounter.
Mexico took a surprise lead after five minutes when Rafael Marquez got on the end of a Mario Mendez free-kick.

Argentina replied five minutes later when a corner was forced home by a combination of Hernan Crespo's foot and Jared Borgetti's head.

Rodriguez set up a quarter-final with Germany when he chested Juan Sorin's pass and stunningly volleyed home.

The pre-match script had Argentina stroll written all over it.

Jose Pekerman's team were the outstanding side in the tournament's opening stage, while Mexico were far from convincing in progressing from a weak group.

But Mexico showed they were not in Leipzig to make up the numbers from the kick-off as they threatened to cause the 2006 World Cup's first major upset.

Argentina had already survived a scare before Marquez put them into an early lead.

Mendez's whipped-in free-kick was flicked on by Pavel Pardo and Gabriel Heinze allowed Marquez a free run to the back post, where the accomplished centre-half finished like an expert centre-forward.

The Argentina fans inside the Zentralstadion may have been shocked, but their players kept their cool and within five minutes they were back on level terms.

Borgetti got his head down to bravely attempt to clear a Juan Riquelme corner and was unfortunate to see it deflect past his own keeper.

Crespo wheeled away confidently claiming his third goal of the tournament but it was officially handed to Borgetti, by all except German television.

However, and despite Borgetti seemingly having the decisive touch, it was later credited to the Chelsea forward.

The two-time World Cup winners began to dictate the play with Riquelme pulling the strings and Esteban Cambiasso attempting to unlock Mexico's offside trap.

Borgetti headed into his own net, but Crespo was given the goal
Marquez was back on defensive duty to block Crespo, while the Chelsea striker lobbed over Oswaldo Sanchez after again being put through by Cambiasso.

But Mexico showed some resilience of their own and Bolton's Borgetti was a constant handful on the floor and in the air.

The striker, who recovered from a thigh injury to return to the starting line-up, tested Roberto Abbondanzieri with a long-range effort and was poised to pounce when the keeper later dropped a cross.

Argentina received a let-off of huge proportions when Abbondanzieri rolled the ball out and Heinze had a momentary lapse of concentration.

Fonseca leapt at the chance but with a clear run on goal he was felled by Heinze.

Referee Massimo Busacca chose the wrong option by only showing a yellow card to the Manchester United defender.

Mexico's Argentine boss Ricardo La Volpe berated the official from the sidelines and his side were poorly rewarded when Marquez hit the free-kick straight at the wall.

There was more end-to-end action after the break as Borgetti was clean through on goal only to be denied by Abbondanzieri and Javier Saviola was denied by the impressive Sanchez.

The pace of the game inevitably slowed, with Argentina's patient passing game dictating the action.

But even with the introduction of Lionel Messi and Carlos Tevez they found the Mexican defensive wall too sturdy to break down during the 90 minutes, although Messi had an effort controversially ruled out for offside in second half injury-time.

With chances not forthcoming it needed something special and Rodriguez obliged in sensational fashion eight minutes into extra-time.

He brilliantly teed himself up by chesting a Sorin cross-field pass and then unleashed a left-foot volley past Sanchez's despairing dive and into the top corner.

A weary Mexico had no answer but they go home knowing they tested Argentina to the maximum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Argentina: Abbondanzieri, Ayala, Heinze, Scaloni, Sorin, Cambiasso (Aimar 76), Riquelme, Maxi, Mascherano, Saviola (Messi 84), Crespo (Tevez 75).
Subs Not Used: Franco, Coloccini, Palacio, Milito, Cufre, Cruz, Burdisso, Gonzalez, Ustari.

Booked: Heinze, Sorin.

Goals: Crespo 10, Maxi 98.

Mexico: Sanchez, Salcido, Marquez, Guardado (Pineda 66), Osorio, Castro, Mendez, Pardo (Torrado 38), Borgetti, Morales (Zinha 74), Fonseca.
Subs Not Used: Corona, Suarez, Franco, Ochoa, Bravo, Garcia, Arellano, Rodriguez, Perez.

Booked: Marquez, Castro, Torrado, Fonseca.

Goals: Marquez 5.

Att: 43,000.

Ref: Massimo Busacca (Switzerland).

25th June 2006 08:43 AM
Jumacfly Hi there

Voodoo you can be proud of your team, they did a great game with many generosity but Argentina finished with an impressive forwards line: Tevez, Maxi Rodriguez (what a fuckin great goal!!), Messi the Hobbit, Aimar,Riquelme..

I think Argentina (congrats Max ) can really win agaisnt Germany, but it will be a hell of a game, the revenge of two WC finals..

I m also very happy to read the Spanish will crush France, an old team without imagination.That's very good to be considered like shit in term of motivation for our players.
Aragones has insulted Henry a few month ago ("dirty nigger", very class!), the spanish press and players are waiting for an easy game for Spain, ok.
Last time we were bashed like that was in 1998

God luck to England, the funniest team of the competition, and tonight Angie and Egon will probably drink the PIB of Venezuela in beers for the summit of the day against Portugal.
more than 100 beers and 7 bottle of Rosé's wine have left the fridge for France's game , you can easily do better my dear Ductchies

25th June 2006 10:19 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
and tonight Angie and Egon will probably drink the PIB of Venezuela in beers for the summit of the day against Portugal.
more than 100 beers and 7 bottle of Rosé's wine have left the fridge for France's game , you can easily do better my dear Ductchies

Well, I'm not feeling very well this weekend, so no alcohol for me. That's a bitch, cause I think I'll rather need loads of alcohol tonight... (bu-bye Holland!).
25th June 2006 10:34 AM
Rick56 OK morw in hope than exxpectation:

Come on ENGLAND give us a performance to be proud of

25th June 2006 10:54 AM
corgi37 Voodoo can now support Australia.
25th June 2006 11:24 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

Well, I'm not feeling very well this weekend, so no alcohol for me. That's a bitch, cause I think I'll rather need loads of alcohol tonight... (bu-bye Holland!).

Please check your fridge. 2 white beers can be found there .
25th June 2006 12:04 PM
Riffhard England is playing like shit right now. They had better turn it around in the 2nd half or it's curtains for them. I really want to see a England vs Germany match.

Riffy
25th June 2006 12:17 PM
Riffhard Becks!!!! What a fucking shot!!!

Riffy
25th June 2006 01:06 PM
Throwaway Neither team played very well, but Beckham's shot made that announcer eat his words after saying he wasn't cutting it, LOL
25th June 2006 01:17 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat So England in the 1/4 finals. Congrats Gazza.
25th June 2006 01:17 PM
Riffhard Yeah England was only lukewarm at best. It was nice to see Rooney go the whole 90 minutes though. Beckham made a great kick,but it was some rather weak goaltending.

Riffy
25th June 2006 01:19 PM
Honky Tonk Man England 1-0 Ecuador

I think England was the better team by far and Beckhams goal was fantastic. It was his first from a free kick in three years! We had a couple of shaky moments in the early stages of the first half, but hey, this is England we're talking about. It wouldn’t be an England match if there weren’t a few heart stopping moments.

It's either Holland or Portugal next. I'm hoping for the Dutch. We beat them convincingly in Euro '96, but I’m still reeling from our 2-0 nil defeat to them in the USA '94 qualifiers, which incidentally, was the very first England match I ever watched.
25th June 2006 01:21 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Strange_Stray_Cat wrote:
So England in the 1/4 finals. Congrats Gazza.

Eh? I hope that’s sarcasm!

I don't recall Northern Ireland being there!
25th June 2006 01:26 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl No, but both countries are in the UK
25th June 2006 01:32 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Eh? I hope that’s sarcasm!

I don't recall Northern Ireland being there!

ROFL!!!!!
25th June 2006 01:35 PM
Rick56 Well we made it but we wont go any further with Lampard and Gerrard playing like useless pratts
25th June 2006 01:36 PM
stewed & Keefed England 1-0 Ecuador

David Beckham became the first England player to score at three World Cups as his free-kick earned a quarter-final tie against Portugal or Holland.
Beckham beautifully curled home from 30 yards on the hour mark, but England made hard work of Ecuador.

The South Americans could have gone in front early on, Carlos Tenorio's shot deflecting off Ashley Cole and on to the bar after John Terry's mistake.

Frank Lampard missed two fine chances but England had done enough to win.

Sven-Goran Eriksson's side will now play either Portugal or Holland - who meet later on Sunday - on Saturday 1 July at 1600 BST in Gelsenkirchen, live on BBC One, Radio Five Live and on the BBC Sport website.

Again Eriksson will point to a job done, but again it was an England display which will produce more questions than answers.

Playing a 4-1-4-1 formation with Wayne Rooney up front alone, England looked comfortable and clumsy in equal measure on a strange afternoon in Stuttgart.

Yet they started off by doing the sensible thing in the stifling heat, with Michael Carrick at the hub as they passed the ball around and made Ecuador do the running.

However, the first genuine chance fell to the South Americans and after an error by John Terry they came agonisingly close to taking the lead.

Terry completely mis-timed a headed clearance and the ball fell to Carlos Tenorio to run clean through, the striker's fierce shot crashing off the bar thanks to a fine sliding block from Ashley Cole.

It was a Jekyll and Hyde performance from England - one minute keeping the ball with ease, the next giving it away and inviting pressure on to them.

Rooney cut an isolated figure as England put more effort into not conceding than scoring but they still looked shaky at the back, as Rio Ferdinand nearly put through his own net and Terry was booked for a neck-high tackle on Carlos Tenorio.

Ashley Cole gets in a brilliant block to deny Carlos Tenorio early on

The decision to play Carrick in the holding role gave England a better base to build from, but Lampard and Gerrard were not getting forward enough to give the increasingly frustrated Rooney some much-needed support.

The 20-year-old could only look on with envy at the other end as Carlos Tenorio and Agustin Delgado hunted as a pair, causing Terry and Ferdinand to lose their usual composure.

Gerrard took it upon himself to improve things after the break as he bombed forward from the left, only to see his centre run across the six-yard line with no England player in sight.

When the breakthrough came, it was like travelling back in time to 2001 when Beckham was at the very peak of his powers.

He sized up the opportunity from 30 yards, wonderfully whipped the ball over the wall and towards the bottom corner and saw it creep past Cristian Mora at his near post.

Lampard twice had chances straight after to double the lead, first dragging a left-foot shot wide then failing to find Rooney in the box when he should have shot himself.

He missed a sitter with 17 minutes left too, blazing over from 14 yards after some sensational skill from Rooney by the left touchline.

Fortunately, it made no difference. England, for the second time under Eriksson, have reached the last eight of the World Cup finals.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

England: Robinson, Hargreaves, Terry, Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Beckham (Lennon 87), Carrick, Gerrard (Downing 90), Lampard, Joe Cole (Carragher 77), Rooney.
Subs Not Used: James, Campbell, Bridge, Carson, Crouch, Jenas, Neville, Walcott.

Booked: Terry, Robinson, Carragher.

Goals: Beckham 60.

Ecuador: Mora, De la Cruz, Hurtado, Espinoza, Reasco, Valencia, Edwin Tenorio (Lara 69), Castillo, Mendez, Delgado, Carlos Tenorio (Kaviedes 71).
Subs Not Used: Villafuerte, Ambrossi, Ayovi, Benitez, Borja, Guagua, Lanza, Perlaza, Saritama, Urrutia.

Booked: Valencia, Carlos Tenorio, De la Cruz.

Att: 52,000.

Ref: Frank De Bleeckere (Belgium).

25th June 2006 01:49 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat And in little more than an hour, the Dutch will lose.

I will burn my orange t-shirt.
25th June 2006 01:57 PM
Soldatti I'm very happy, we won a very hard game yesterday and Mexico was a great adversary. Sadly, I'm not holding my breath for the next game, I never want to play with the local...
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)