ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Click the image for more information
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Official ROCKS OFF World Cup Thread VOL. II Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
22nd June 2006 08:18 PM
Gazza
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

I saw Gerd Muller in the 1970 world cup in Mexico in one of the best matches I have ever seen, Italy - Germany in semifinals! That's football babies. Franz Beckenbauer was playing with his hand damaged, it was a not a match of win or lose, it was live or die, it was histerical, eternal!!

Gerd Muller was the greatest goalscorer in that tournament

he was - ten goals!

I remember watching that game live on TV. I was allowed to stay up late to see it..I was 7. In fact, I saw a rerun of it just a couple of weeks ago. Always remember Beckenbauer with his arm in a sling - class personified. An incredible game. Italy winning 1-0, germany equalised in injury time (as they always do) and the Italians winning 4-3 after extra time. Fuckin brilliant. Mexico '70 was the first World Cup I can remember. I was addicted from that summer on!
22nd June 2006 09:50 PM
Daethgod Aussies survive even after another TOTAL CRAP referee.

Viduka rugby tackled in box in the 7th minute - no penalty

Croat deliberate handles ball in 2nd half in the box - no penalty

Viduka is constantly penalised for using his body legally

Sumi was yellowcarded twice and stayed ON THE FIELD, and was then yellow carded a 3rd time

and the end of the game was wierd - did Aloisi score or did he blow the whistle ?

FIFA - get the refereeing right !
and back off us Aussies, we play tough but we play fair.

Bet Emerton is feeling like a tool after getting 2 yellows,

last game one one in this game for silly dissent.

Bring on the Italians... the Socceroos are like the Stones - they will never let you down and the show will rock !

22nd June 2006 10:16 PM
Soldatti Ronaldo with a custard on his right hand and with a pie in the other is much better than 90% of the players in the WC.
22nd June 2006 10:27 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Custard Pie? Time to listen some Zeppelin
22nd June 2006 11:12 PM
Soldatti
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Custard Pie? Time to listen some Zeppelin

I'm with III now!
23rd June 2006 09:34 AM
gustavobala i donīt understand something, madafacka, you open this thread in the middle of brazilian game?

why not wait the end of first step in this world cup?
23rd June 2006 11:47 AM
caro Aw fuck, Ukraine-Tunisia 1-0, looks like Tunisia will have to go too because of a debatable penalty. Everyone was rooting for them in my street...
By the way, I really don't understand why referees aren't allowed to use video verification, especially for big events like the World Cup. Everyone watching the game on TV can see instantly whether the referee's decision was right or not, but the guy himself can't. I find that pretty unfair not only for the players, but also for the referees themselves. It's not like it would cost much time to just replay a 5-second action on video.
23rd June 2006 12:06 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
i donīt understand something, madafacka, you open this thread in the middle of brazilian game?
why not wait the end of first step in this world cup?

Because we want to post whenever we want, not wait till the second round. Whenever there are matches, we want to talk about them, and there are matches this whole week still.

The first thread was full (17 pages is maximum). So when a thread reaches the end of the 17th page, but we aren't done talking about the subject yet, someone opens a second (new) thread. That's what Madafaka did.
23rd June 2006 12:21 PM
gustavobala
quote:
caro wrote:
Aw fuck, Ukraine-Tunisia 1-0, looks like Tunisia will have to go too because of a debatable penalty. Everyone was rooting for them in my street...
By the way, I really don't understand why referees aren't allowed to use video verification, especially for big events like the World Cup. Everyone watching the game on TV can see instantly whether the referee's decision was right or not, but the guy himself can't. I find that pretty unfair not only for the players, but also for the referees themselves. It's not like it would cost much time to just replay a 5-second action on video.

again mr. carlos amarilla, who fucks togo against swiss....

arabia have a penalty who referee doesnīt give......
23rd June 2006 01:40 PM
stewed & Keefed Saudi Arabia 0-1 Spain

Spain strolled their way to three wins from three and top spot in Group H as their second string beat a poor Saudi Arabia outfit in Kaiserslauten.
Having enjoyed a wealth of possession, the only surprise was that Juanito's header was the only goal at half-time.

Mabrouk Zaid produced a string of saves in the Saudi goal, with Joaquin, Jose Antonio Reyes and David Albelda denied.

However, a late Saudi surge did cause Spain some discomfort, with Saad Al Harthi firing a fine chance over.

The result means Spain will face the runners-up in Group G, either Switzerland, South Korea or France, in the second round on 27 June in Hannover.

Saudi Arabia knew before kick off they had to score at least four goals to stand a chance of qualifying, but survival was clearly priority number one as they allowed Spain, who had changed their entire first XI, to feel their way into the match.

With Cesc Fabregas pulling the strings in midfield and Joaquin particularly dangerous on the right flank, Luis Aragones' side created a host of chances in the first half.

Joaquin (twice), Reyes and Albelda all forced Zaid into full-length saves from range, while Raul was a constant nuisance with his movement and touch on his first start in these finals.

With the Saudis clearly reluctant to commit players forward, it was only a matter of time before Spain took the lead and so it was when defender Juanito rose unmarked to power home the opener with his head.

Even that failed to ignite Saudi Arabia's forward play, though Sami Al Jaber did enjoy a rare foray forward on 40 minutes that ended with a tame shot.

Reyes was among those denied by Zaid in Kaiserslauten

With Fabregas and Reyes also stinging Zaid's palms before half-time, the only surprise was that Marcos Paqueta's outfit conceded just one goal in the first 45.

In truth, Saudi Arabia started in better form in the second, with Spain having to defend their lines on more than one occasion.

Hussein Sulimani twice brought decent saves from Santiago Canizares from range, while Nawaf Al Temyat thought he had earned the Saudis a penalty - until he was shown a yellow card for diving over Carlos Marchena's tackle.

With Spain showing a tendency to over-complicate their forward play, they were unable to enjoy a more comfortable end to the game.

And after Fernando Torres, David Villa and Antonio Lopez had wasted decent chances, Al Harthi could have snatched the most unlikely of draws at the death when he collected Mohamed Noor's pull-back.

However, he spooned harmlessly over from six yards to make it 10 matches without a win in World Cup finals for Saudi Arabia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saudi Arabia: Zaid, Dokhi, Tukar, Al Montashari, Khathran, Sulimani (Massad 81), Noor, Khariri, Aziz (Al Temyat 13), Al Jaber (Mouath 68), Al Harthi.
Subs Not Used: Al Anbar, Al Bahri, Al Daeyea, Al Qadi, Ameen, Khojah.

Booked: Al Jaber, Al Temyat.

Spain: Canizares, Salgado, Marchena, Antonio Lopez, Juanito, Albelda, Reyes (Torres 69), Iniesta, Joaquin, Fabregas (Xavi 66), Raul (Villa 45).
Subs Not Used: Casillas, Pernia, Puyol, Luis Garcia, Alonso, Sergio Ramos, Senna, Pablo, Reina.

Booked: Albelda, Reyes, Marchena.

Goals: Juanito 36.

Att: 46,000

Ref: Coffi Codjia (Benin).

23rd June 2006 01:41 PM
stewed & Keefed Ukraine 1-0 Tunisia

Ukraine reached the knockout stages on their World Cup debut with a narrow victory against 10-man Tunisia.
Andriy Shevchenko's 71st-minute penalty sealed victory after Chelsea's new recruit had tumbled over in the area.

Striker Ziad Jaziri's dismissal just before half-time for a second bookable offence stunned Tunisia, who needed a win to stand any chance of qualifying.

Ukraine's victory sealed second spot in Group H and a place in the last 16, but they must improve to progress further.

They will now face the winners of Group G, which includes France, Switzerland and South Korea, in Cologne on Monday (2000 BST).

And they have problems in defence, with both Vyacheslav Svidersky and Andriy Rusol suspended for the second round game after picking up bookings.

In a dismal encounter, Ukraine failed to dominate their final group match despite their one-man advantage.

Tunisia can feel a degree of injustice, after conceding a questionable penalty, and having their own claims for a spot-kick denied.

Both sides had named unchanged line-ups, but offered little to excite a big crowd in Berlin.

Voronin caused Tunisia problems with his thrusting runs
A slip by Bolton centre-back Radhi Jaidi in the third minute nearly cost Tunisia.

He tried a backheel only for Andriy Voronin to intercept - but the Bayer Leverkusen forward failed to take advantage.

Jaziri picked up his first booking from Paraguayan referee Carlos Amarilla for a blatant dive when challenged by Andriy Rusol.

The first real chance fell Ukraine's way in the 20th minute when the ball broke to Anatoliy Tymoschuk and he tried to beat Ali Boumnijel with power instead of passing to Shevchenko, and the Tunisian keeper saved.

In the dying seconds of the half, Jaziri was dismissed after bringing Tymoschuk down from behind.

Despite being reduced to 10 men, Tunisia showed some spark in the second half.

Ania Yari's free-kick appeared to be deflected over the bar by the hand of striker Voronin, but a corner was awarded.

Shevchenko broke the deadlock when he earned a dubious penalty after going down under a challenge from Karim Hagui.

The Ģ30m striker calmly converted from the spot for his second goal of the tournament and kissed his shirt in celebration.

Voronin twice went close to extending Ukraine's lead, with a late shot which forced Boumnijel to parry, and then firing wide from close-range.

But Tunisia nearly snatched an equaliser with a dangerous header from substitute Francileudo dos Santos.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ukraine: Shovkovskiy, Nesmachniy, Rusol, Sviderskiy, Tymoschuk, Shelayev, Gusev, Rebrov (Vorobey 54), Kalinichenko (Gusin 75), Shevchenko (Milevskiy 88), Voronin. Subs Not Used: Yatsenko, Yezerskiy, Pyatov, Chigrynskiy, Vashchuk, Nazarenko, Byelik, Rotan, Shust.

Booked: Sviderskiy, Shelayev, Tymoschuk, Rusol.

Goal: Shevchenko 71 pen.

Tunisia: Boumnijel, Haggui, Jaidi, Ayari, Trabelsi, Mnari, Bouazizi (Ben Saada 79), Chedli (Santos 79), Namouchi, Nafti (Ghodhbane 90), Jaziri.
Subs not used: Essediri, Yahia, Gmamdia, Chikhaoui, Nefzi, Jemmali, Saidi, Kasraoui, Melliti.

Sent Off: Jaziri (45).

Booked: Jaziri, Bouazizi, Jaidi.

Att: 72,000

Ref: Carlos Amarilla (Paraguay).

23rd June 2006 06:13 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

Because we want to post whenever we want, not wait till the second round. Whenever there are matches, we want to talk about them, and there are matches this whole week still.

The first thread was full (17 pages is maximum). So when a thread reaches the end of the 17th page, but we aren't done talking about the subject yet, someone opens a second (new) thread. That's what Madafaka did.

My spokeswoman is a princess! Ha! Who can say the same?
23rd June 2006 07:34 PM
time is on my side Looks like some interesting games.

I like Germany, Argentina, England, Netherlands, Italy, Switzerland, Brazil, and Spain to advance

Knockout Stage
Round of 16
Match Date Team Team City
49. Sat, 6/24 Germany vs. Sweden Munich
50. Sat, 6/24 Argentina vs. Mexico Leipzig
51. Sun, 6/25 England vs. Ecuador Stuttgart
52. Sun, 6/25 Portugal vs. Netherlands Nuremberg
53. Mon, 6/26 Italy vs. Australia Kaiserslautern
54. Mon, 6/26 Switzerland vs.Ukraine Cologne
55. Tue, 6/27 Brazil vs. Ghana Dortmund
56. Tue, 6/27 Spain vs. France Hanover

23rd June 2006 10:01 PM
Gazza
quote:
pdog wrote:

Am I correct that these are winner takes all loser goes home, type games?

yes...it's all straight knockout from now on. The "phoney war" is over!

If the games finish level, they play 30 minutes extra time and then a penalty shoot out if required

quote:
Is it safe to say, Ghana is Gonna(Ghana) go home?
I say Ukraine and Sweden, besides that, I agree with your predictions.

I wouldnt say any prediction is safe. Ghana are playing the #1 ranked team in the world, but theyve already eliminated the Czech Republic who, I think were ranked #2!

I'd expect Brazil to have too much for them, however.

Germany, England, Argentina, Portugal, Italy, Brazil, Switzerland and Spain to go through, for me.

Argentina look pretty unstoppable I think. No weaknesses that I can see, brilliantly organised and (by their standards) disciplined - and great strength in depth too.

The best other side I've seen has been Spain, although Brazil are maybe starting to hit their stride at last.
[Edited by Gazza]
23rd June 2006 11:07 PM
Soldatti I'm going to a lunch tomorrow in a friend's house, we'll be 20-25 people there watching the game.
23rd June 2006 11:29 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Gazza wrote:

If the games finish level, they play 30 minutes extra time and then a penalty shoot out if required

gazza - isn't there a fairer way to decide that issue

as a relatively casual obsever of the game i've always found those shoot-outs to be undignified (for the game itself) and perhaps surprisingly anti-climactic

as 120 minutes have played with no decision and thus what is clearly a hard fought game is reduced in an instant to a lottery

what about extra - extra time - just keep playing til somebody scores and the team that does wins
23rd June 2006 11:59 PM
gustavobala
quote:
time is on my side wrote:
Looks like some interesting games.

I like Germany, Argentina, England, Netherlands, Italy, Switzerland, Brazil, and Spain to advance

my bets are the same, only ukrania and portugal, in the place of switzerland (who has a horrible football) and netherlands (who has a pretty good football. but...)
24th June 2006 12:28 AM
Daethgod dont rule out the Aussies

you have been warned !

24th June 2006 06:09 AM
stewed & Keefed Togo 0-2 France

Patrick Vieira and Thierry Henry scored as France secured their place in the knockout stages of the World Cup.
France needed victory to ensure their progress from Group G, but they were frustrated by a spirited Togo defence during a goalless first half.

But Vieira, celebrating his 30th birthday, eased the nerves as he fired home from inside the box on 55 minutes.

And Henry turned before sending in a low shot six minutes later to set up a second round tie against Spain.

The win seemed comfortable in the end, but it was anything but for much of the opening hour as France looked in real danger of making an early exit from the competition.

Raymond Domenech's men were held out by a Togo back line which proved far more resilient than it did against South Korea and Switzerland.

The pattern of the game was set early on when David Trezeguet's seventh-minute header was acrobatically tipped over by Kossi Agassa.

Henry then put Franck Ribery through, but the Marseille midfielder chose to pass to Trezeguet, who was judged offside as he put the ball into the net.

Ribery then shot wildly over when put through by Henry on 29 minutes.

Such missed opportunities just added to France's nerves as they saw many promising attacking positions come to nothing.

Togo keeper Agassa was in inspired form, repelling France attacks, most notably in the first half when he stopped Florent Malouda's stinging drive.

After the interval, France were straight back on the attack and Trezeguet's shot from Ribery's low pass was deflected wide more by luck than judgement.

Vieira celebrated his 30th birthday in the best possible way
Ribery was, in fact, to prove the most profligate of the France attackers, as he repeated his first-half howler when he hammered high and handsome after Malouda's low cross picked him out.

It was beginning to look like one of those nights for France - until the birthday boy intervened.

Ribery - atoning for his earlier misses - passed to Vieira who turned and slammed home past Agassa from inside the box.

Still Togo threatened to stun their feted opponents, and France were pleased to see Willy Sagnol block a goalbound shot from Emmanuel Adebayor.

But five minutes later, Arsenal striker Henry made the game safe as he latched on to Vieira's flick-on and turned before firing a typically clinical shot into the net.

The second goal killed the match as a contest and France held out for the win - but they know they will need to improve if they want to overcome Luis Aragones' in-form Spain.

Togo: Agassa, Nibombe, Abalo, Tchangai, Aziawonou, Cherif-Toure (Olufade 59), Senaya, Salifou, Forson, Mohamed, Adebayor (Dossevi 75).
Subs Not Used: Agboh, Akoto, Atsou, Erassa, Malm, Obilale, Tchagnirou, Toure, Assemoassa.

Booked: Aziawonou, Cherif-Toure, Salifou.

France: Barthez, Gallas, Silvestre, Thuram, Sagnol, Malouda (Wiltord 73), Makelele, Vieira (Diarra 81), Ribery (Govou 77), Trezeguet, Henry.
Subs Not Used: Boumsong, Chimbonda, Coupet, Dhorasoo, Givet, Landreau, Saha.

Booked: Makelele.

Goals: Vieira 55, Henry 61.

Att: 45,000

Ref: Jorge Larrionda (Uruguay).

24th June 2006 06:10 AM
stewed & Keefed Switzerland 2-0 South Korea

Switzerland booked their place in the second round with a gutsy victory in their final Group G game in Hanover.
Hakan Yakin's pin-point cross was met by the brave Philippe Senderos who powerfully headed Switzerland in front.

Jin-Chul Choi and Chun-Soo Lee went close for South Korea before Alexander Frei scored a controversial second.

Frei rounded the keeper after the referee overruled his assistant's offside flag, ensuring the Swiss will now meet Ukraine in the second round.

The clean sheet ensured Switzerland preserved their record of not having conceded a goal in any of their group games.

And heading into the game they only needed a point to qualify.

But their high-tempo start suggested they were keen to finish the group as winners.

Frei was the first to try his luck from distance, while at the other end Ji-Sung Park tested Pascal Zuberbuhler with a low drive from 30 yards.

And Switzerland's purposeful start was rewarded on 23 minutes when the superb Yakin bent in a pin-point free-kick that Senderos comprehensively dispatched.

South Korea coach Dick Advocaat appeals to the referee

The Arsenal centre-half's courage came at the expense of a nasty cut to his face after head-butting Jin-Cheul Choi in the process of scoring, leaving both players needing treatment.

Yakin's sweet left foot from set-pieces was a constant threat for the South Koreans and shortly before the break he stung the hands of Woon-Jae Lee with a free-kick.

South Korea produced their best chance of the half when Chun-Soo Lee broke through the Swiss defence and fired in a fierce drive that was well palmed away by Zuberbuhler.

And as the lively half came to a close, Switzerland were in pole position to win the group.

The South Koreans began the second half with more zest and pegged the Swiss back in their own half, who themselves looked happy to sit back and preserve their lead.

But despite Senderos' substitution following an awkward fall on his arm, the Switzerland defence looked comfortable in repelling the South Korean attacks.

At the other end, the solitary Swiss striker Frei had two chances to kill the game, the best of which crashed against the post.

Jin-Chul Choi should have done better with a free header while Jung-Hwan Ahn shot low.

But with 15 minutes left, referee Horacio Elizondo ignored his assistant's flag to allow Frei in to slot home Switzerland's second and seal the 2002's semi-finalists' fate.

Switzerland: Zuberbuhler, Spycher, Senderos (Djourou 53), Philipp Degen, Muller, Wicky (Behrami 88), Vogel, Yakin (Margairaz 70), Cabanas, Barnetta, Frei.
Subs Not Used: Benaglio, Coltorti, David Degen, Dzemaili, Grichting, Gygax, Lustrinelli, Magnin, Streller.

Booked: Senderos, Yakin, Wicky, Spycher, Djourou.

Goals: Senderos 23, Frei 77.

South Korea: Woon-Jae Lee, Young-Pyo Lee (Ahn 62), Choi, Jin-Kyu Kim, Dong-Jin Kim, Ho Lee, Nam-Il Kim, Ji-Sung Park, Chu-Young Park (Seol 65), Chun-Soo Lee, Jae-Jin Cho.
Subs Not Used: Baek, Won-hee Cho, Chung, Do-Heon Kim, Sang-Sik Kim, Yong-Dae Kim, Young-Kwang Kim, Eul-Yong Lee, Song.

Booked: Chu-Young Park, Jin-Kyu Kim, Choi, Chun-Soo Lee.

Att: 43,000

Ref: Horacio Marcelo Elizondo (Argentina).

24th June 2006 10:39 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I'm going to a lunch tomorrow in a friend's house, we'll be 20-25 people there watching the game.

Collective sorrow is better than trying to relieve it alone
24th June 2006 10:41 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl This is the second round, the round of 16

24th June 2006 12:41 PM
six mayers Brazil is the champion! eehehe....

just wait....
24th June 2006 01:16 PM
stewed & Keefed Germany 2-0 Sweden

Hosts Germany booked their place in the World Cup quarter-finals as two early goals from Lukas Podolski helped secure victory over 10-man Sweden.
Podolski scored on just four minutes, driving home the loose ball after Sweden keeper Andreas Isaksson parried.

And Podolski finished smartly after Miroslav Klose's pass on 12 minutes.

Sweden's Teddy Lucic was sent off for a second booking on 35 minutes and their miserable day was complete when Henrik Larsson missed a second-half penalty.

It was an assured display from Germany, who always looked like adding to their lead after gaining the early advantage.

Both sides were still settling down when Podolski's goal sent the home fans at the Allianz Arena into raptures.

Michael Ballack created the opening as he found Klose, who turned his marker but saw the ball pushed away from his feet by Isaksson.

However, Podolski was on hand to slot in via a deflection off Lucic's head.

Larsson had an opportunity to level on eight minutes but shot into the side netting from inside the six-yard box.

He was left to rue his wastefulness four minutes later as Podolski was played in by a delightful pass from Klose before finishing with considerable assurance.

Unsurprisingly, the goals filled Germany with confidence and instilled their play with a real swagger.

Jurgen Klinsmann's side surged forward - Ballack's drive was parried by Isaksson, Bernd Schneider drove wide, Klose's near-post effort was saved and Bastian Schweinsteiger's 30-yarder was brilliantly tipped around the post.

And things got worse for Sweden on 35 minutes as Lucic received a second yellow card after being judged to have tugged Klose's shirt.

Referee Carlos Simon was surrounded by Germany players brandishing imaginary cards - and the Brazilian eventually did what they wanted as he waved the red, receiving a pat on the back from Podolski.

Ironically, Sweden's best passage of play followed.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic's shot from a narrow angle was fumbled around the post by Jens Lehmann, while Mattias Jonson beat Lehmann to Larsson's cross only for Phillip Lahm to clear.

After the interval, Sweden were gifted a chance as they were awarded a penalty for an innocuous-looking challenge on Larsson.

The Barcelona player picked himself up, dusted himself down - and blazed way over the bar.

Ballack then shot from 20 yards only for Isaksson to produce another fine save, tipping the ball on to the post.

The pace, unsurprisingly, began to drop in the sweltering heat of Munich and the match lost much of its earlier fluency.

But following Larsson's penalty miss, the Germans never seriously looked like conceding.

Indeed, they looked came close to increasing their lead as Schneider's 85th-minute drive was deflected by Tobias Linderoth on to a post, while substitute Oliver Neuville's shot was blocked.

Germany will face the winner of the Argentina-Mexico tie in the quarter-finals.

Germany
01 J Lehmann
03 A Friedrich
21 C Metzelder
17 P Mertesacker
16 P Lahm
07 B Schweinsteiger (72 T Borowski )
08 T Frings (85 S Kehl )
13 M Ballack
19 B Schneider
20 L Podolski (74 O Neuville )
11 M Klose

Sweden
01 A Isaksson
07 N Alexandersson
03 O Mellberg
04 T Lucic
05 E Edman
09 F Ljungberg
06 T Linderoth
16 K Kallstrom (39 P Hansson )
18 M Jonson (52 C Wilhelmsson )
10 Z Ibrahimovic (72 M Allback )
11 H Larsson

Ref: Carlos Eugenio Simon

Att: 66000

24th June 2006 01:45 PM
stewed & Keefed Argentina v Mexico

Second round match two
Leipzig
Saturday, 24 June
Kick-off: 2000 BST

Argentina right-back Nicolas Burdisso is sidelined with a sprained right knee so Fabricio Coloccini will step in.

Hernan Crespo is set to lead the line and Javier Saviola will sit behind him with Lionel Messi and Carlos Tevez returning to the bench.

Mexico striker Jared Borgetti is on the verge of a return from a thigh injury - but the Bolton striker will have the final say over his fitness.

Brazilian-born Antonio Naelson "Zinha" should replace suspended Luis Perez.

Argentina (probable): Roberto Abbondanzieri; Fabricio Coloccini, Roberto Ayala, Gabriel Heinze, Juan Pablo Sorin; Maxi Rodriguez, Javier Mascherano, Esteban Cambiasso, Juan Roman Riquelme; Javier Saviola, Hernan Crespo

Mexico (probable): Oswaldo Sanchez; Mario Mendez, Rafael Marquez, Ricardo Osorio, Carlos Salcido, Gonzalo Pineda; Gerardo Torrado, Antonio Naelson "Zinha", Pavel Pardo; Jared Borgetti, Jose Francisco Fonseca

BIG MATCH STATS
Head-to-heads

Argentina have played Mexico on 23 previous occasions and they have won eight, drawn 11 and lost four. They won 6-3 in the inaugural World Cup in 1930. This is their only meeting in the competition finals.

A year ago, Argentina beat Mexico 6-5 in a penalty shoot-out in the semi-finals of the Confederations Cup. In a match in which Javier Saviola (Argentina) and Rafael Marquez (Mexico) were red-carded, Argentine Esteban Cambiasso converted the deciding penalty after Mexico defender Ricardo Osorio had missed.

Team facts - Argentina

Argentina won Group C without a defeat with eight goals scored and one conceded. They have not lost in four World Cup matches, and kept clean sheets in the last two.

Argentina are taking part in their 14th World Cup. Only Brazil, Germany and Italy have participated more often. Their best performances came in 1978 and 1986 when they won the title.

Team facts - Mexico

Mexico are competing in their 13th World Cup. Their best ever result is reaching the quarter-finals in 1970 and 1986. Mexico hosted the tournament in both years.

No country has lost more World Cup matches than Mexico (21), but they have reached at least the last 16 in their last four appearances in the finals. The last time Mexico failed to negotiate the group phase was in 1978.

Player facts - Argentina

Roberto Abbondanzieri, Roberto Ayala and Javier Mascherano are yet to miss a minute of these finals. Six different players have scored one goal.

Ayala won his 103rd cap in the last group match and is now just three away from his country's record of 106 held by Diego Simeone.

Player facts - Mexico

Midfielder Luis Perez is suspended for this match after receiving two yellow cards in the last group match against Portugal. Perez' dismissal means Mexico has now had at least one player sent off in their last four World Cup participations.

Omar Bravo, Rafael Marquez, Ricardo Osorio, Pavel Pardo, Carlos Salcido and Oswaldo Sanchez are yet to miss a minute of this tournament in Germany. Claudio Suarez is Mexico's most capped player with 178 international matches. Only Saudi Arabia goalkeeper Mohamed Al Deayea has won more caps (181) in world football.

Miscellaneous Info

Barcelona teammates Lionel Messi (Argentina) and Rafael Marquez (Mexico) could face each other in this match, as could Villarreal's Guillermo Franco (Mexico) and Juan Pablo Sorin and Juan Riquelme (both Argentina).

The winner of this match will take on Germany in the quarter-finals which will be played on Friday, 30 June in Berlin.

[Edited by stewed & Keefed]
24th June 2006 03:06 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Mexico 1!!!
24th June 2006 03:21 PM
Rick56 This looks like being a cracker

1 - 1 already

24th June 2006 03:50 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Who bribed the referee? It was a clear RED not a YELLOW card!
24th June 2006 03:53 PM
Rick56 It was yellow, Heinze slipped
24th June 2006 05:38 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Argentina + Referee 2 - 1 Mexico

The card-eater, daltonic refereee didn't see a clear penalty, ate several red-cards and was a real fraud, the bastard gave Argentina the match.

Mexico was by far better than Argentina but as usual: Mexico played like never but lost as always

Fuck it!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)