ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Click the image for more information
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Official ROCKS OFF World Cup Thread VOL. II Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
9th July 2006 05:11 PM
Gazza I fuckin' cant believe what I've just watched. What a tragic and stupid end to a great career. Starts the game with a bit of sublime genius and ends it with a moment of madness, after being possibly the best player on the park until that point.

A sad end to what was an otherwise enjoyable final. I thought France were the better side on the night, but congratulations to Italy. As if it wasnt already, the San Siro should be quite a place to be on Tuesday!
[Edited by Gazza]
9th July 2006 05:14 PM
six mayers Congratulations Italy

cheers
9th July 2006 05:16 PM
Louis
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:
Fuck, France was clearly the best team

Not Anymore ........

Congrats Italy !
[Edited by Louis]
9th July 2006 05:39 PM
FrankiePeppers After enjoying Zidane's play during the games, he pulls that knucklehead stunt. How can a player do that in a championship game!? I think Italy was robbed of a goal on the offsides call. Congratulazioni Italia. To be in an Italian bar tonight!

Penalty kicks aren't the best way to win and definately a cheap way to lose. I feel bad for the French goalkeeper.
9th July 2006 06:18 PM
Madafaka Congrats Italy!

I'm so sorry for you, JU. Great campaign anyway!
9th July 2006 07:24 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
Congrats Italy!

I'm so sorry for you, JU. Great campaign anyway!

thanks a lot Max.

Congrats to Italy!!

The Azzuri deserves the Cup, of course I m fuckin depressive tonight and sad for Zizou who did a stupid fault but hey that's part of the game!!

I can't mess with a guy that give us the WCup 8 years ago,
who was the most inventive player since Maradona, a great technician and a wonderful...man.
Merci Zizou, prend ta retraite et sois fier de toi et de tout ce que tu nous a donné!!
We did play a great football tonight and the Italian defense was a real..catenaccio!!
Funny that Trezeguet missed the penalty, 6 years after Rotterdam.

many many thanks to you all during this world cup for your kind messages and your fair play, even some American Ro'ers did follow the cup with us, it was very cool!

then, to finish: Hi to Maumau and my dear amicco Fabio Hot Stuff, both Italian great guys that must have a hell of a party right now!
Enjoy and see ya tomorrow here for your report

Cheers from a sad but proud Rocks Offer tonight
jU
9th July 2006 08:16 PM
maumau hi jumac!
i'm just back from the streets, what a hell!
I am sorry exspecially for zidane that i consider by far the best player in the world after maradona quit. This was not a world cup for stars and was won by a tough team with no star.
And yes les blues played better in the second half and during the extra time. We were good in the reaction after the penalty and won the first half. I guess this is how football is: to win you must score. We know very well how it feels to lose a world cup after the penalties. And now we know how it feels to win it!! Now we are ready to rock san siro on tuesday!!!! My respect to you
10th July 2006 05:16 AM
maumau
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
maumau, you were correct. Congratulation to Italy. This should be one helluva next few days of celebration, particularly in Milano! Enjoy.

Zidane is a no class individual who humiliated his team and his country.

thanks JJ. But as you have seen also in the final, football is not a science. That's all. And I think it is not only football. Not always the best players, the more spectacular, win. I am old enough to recall McEnroe defeated by Borg or Lendl, I remember the enthusiasm for Gilles Villeneuve and the way he drove his Ferrari (but to win the championship was a guy named Jody Sheckter). This world cup was not for sophisticated number 10s and if there is a reason why I am happy is this: italian players used to be very pretentious - not being Zidanes - and very hysterical - not having much to whine upon. This tournament they were different - a part from De Rossi's mad fault. They were tough without being violent, they were humile without trembling. They gave all the have to give - which is not much as,let's saym France or Brazil, in terms of tecnique. On one hand 10 different playes scored, on the other we got 2 in our goal, one from Zaccardo and the other from a penalty (which, for the record, the more I watch the less I see). Anyway, congratulations to France also, this time is ours
10th July 2006 09:35 AM
rstp72 I'm not a big soccer fan like some of you guys , but what Zidane did is very sorry , what a french wanker.....he's a bad sport and have no respect for his teammate nor is country.
that's France for you..........
10th July 2006 09:41 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
rstp72 wrote:
I'm not a big soccer fan like some of you guys , but what Zidane did is very sorry , what a french wanker.....he's a bad sport and have no respect for his teammate nor is country.

Don t forget Zidane is just a man like you and me.
Not a robot.Are you always cool and never upset??
I don't excuse but I understand him.
10th July 2006 10:24 AM
gustavobala what a shame for zisou, the best player of this world cup doing that?

ohhh god....France lost in this moment!!!!!!!

forzaaaaaaaaa azuuuuraaaaaaaaaaaa
10th July 2006 11:04 AM
maumau like jumac said he is a man and things like that happen in football
10th July 2006 11:17 AM
rstp72 that's part of being a football star , being able to keep his cool in moments like that.
Kids look up to him.
of course I lose my cool once in a while , but you always have to ask yourself before you act , is it worth it?
Millions and millions of people watch that game , what a glorious way out.....
just for the fact that Zidane doesn't sing the French National Anthem ,shows the mentality...he should have retired the first time he announced it.
10th July 2006 12:42 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
rstp72 wrote:

just for the fact that Zidane doesn't sing the French National Anthem ,shows the mentality...

You don't have a single clue about football.
I guess you are a curling fan...
Even Moonie's post are more informative.
10th July 2006 12:59 PM
Honky Tonk Man Congratulations Italy!

Right, as an England fan I must now forget this World Cup and start thinking about Euro 2008!
10th July 2006 01:11 PM
caro *weep*
What a sad way to end the World Cup for the french team, it pains me just to think back of Trezeguet at the moment when he missed that penalty. As for Zidane, well I'm like Ju: he deserved his red card, but with all he did in his career, there's no way I'm gonna blame him for a moment of madness -- it was pure suicide at the moment, but it would be sad if you weren't allowed to act like a fool once in a while. As for the bad example he gives to kids -- as far as I'mconcerned, it's irrelevant. If some kids are too stupid to make their own choices, too bad for them.
Anyways, congrats to Italy, I was very impressed with their precision & the way they constantly took the ball away from the french.
All in all -- a very cool World Cup, great setlist,not enough songs :-)
10th July 2006 01:13 PM
stewed & Keefed Italy 1-1 France (aet)

Italy beat France 5-3 in a penalty shoot-out to win the World Cup after an absorbing 1-1 draw in Berlin.

Fabio Grosso scored the winning penalty after France's David Trezeguet missed.

Playing his last game before retiring, Zinedine Zidane's career ended in disgrace after he was sent off for crazily headbutting Marco Materazzi.

Zidane had put France ahead early on with a coolly-taken chipped penalty, before Materazzi levelled with a header from an Andrea Pirlo corner.

The result caps an incredible period for Italian football, with the domestic game embroiled in a corruption scandal similar to 1982 when they last won the World Cup.

They have now won the competition four times, one fewer than Brazil, and it was the first time they managed to win a World Cup match on penalties after three failed attempts.

DID YOU KNOW?
Only four men have scored three goals in World Cup final matches - Geoff Hurst (England), Vava (Brazil), Pele (Brazil) and now Zinedine Zidane (France)

But France legend Zidane may forever be haunted by the moment of madness which cost him a second World Cup title.

Only Zidane knows why he chose to shove his head into Materazzi's chest after the two had exchanged words with 10 minutes left of extra-time.

He had started so well, too, with a goal after six minutes that meant Zidane, who scored twice in the 1998 final, became the fourth man to score in two World Cup finals after Brazilians Vava and Pele and Germany's Paul Breitner.

He casually chipped a penalty in off the crossbar after Florent Malouda had won the spot-kick with a fall after Materazzi appeared to catch his foot as he came across to challenge.

But Italy recovered well from their unfortunate start and the industrious Pirlo and Gennaro Gattuso quickly began to set the tempo of the game.

Through Pirlo's dead-ball delivery, they were soon on level terms. The AC Milan midfield maestro whipped over a corner from the right and Materazzi thumped a header past Fabien Barthez.

France failed to learn their lesson. Moments later Materazzi saw another header cleared off the line by Lilian Thuram before Luca Toni nodded onto the bar - both efforts from Pirlo corners.

Thierry Henry had had a quiet first half, but he burst into life after the break with two turbo-charged runs that struck fear into the heart of the Italian defence.

It was a more open final than many had predicted and both teams were attacking with gusto, though Italy came within a whisker of taking the lead when Toni was adjudged offside after heading in a Pirlo free-kick.

Marco Materazzi falls to the ground after being butted by Zinedine Zidane

At the other end Henry was causing problems with his pace and Gianluigi Buffon had to be alert to parry away a snap-shot from the Arsenal striker.

As it went into extra-time, France had started to dominate proceedings.

Malouda was only kept out by a last-ditch Fabio Cannavaro tackle before Franck Ribery poked agonisingly wide and Buffon tipped Zidane's header over.

It was Zidane's last meaningful contribution to the French cause as with 10 minutes left of extra-time, his professional career ended in shameful circumstances.

He became involved in a dispute with Materazzi and, inexplicably, headbutted the Italian in the chest.

After the assistant referee informed referee Horacio Elizondo of the incident, the Argentine was left with no choice but to send Zidane off.

His team-mates looked shell-shocked, but they held on to force penalties for only the second time in a World Cup final after Italy lost to Brazil in 1994.

Pirlo, Materazzi, Daniele de Rossi, Alessandro del Piero and Grosso made no mistake as Italy became the most successful European country in World Cup history.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Italy: Buffon, Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Materazzi, Grosso, Camoranesi (Del Piero 86), Pirlo, Gattuso, Perrotta (Iaquinta 61), Totti (De Rossi 61), Toni.
Subs Not Used: Amelia, Barone, Barzagli, Gilardino, Inzaghi, Nesta, Oddo, Peruzzi, Zaccardo.

Booked: Zambrotta.

Goals: Materazzi 19.

France: Barthez, Sagnol, Thuram, Gallas, Abidal, Ribery (Trezeguet 100), Vieira (Diarra 56), Makelele, Zidane, Malouda, Henry (Wiltord 107).
Subs Not Used: Boumsong, Chimbonda, Coupet, Dhorasoo, Givet, Govou, Landreau, Silvestre.

Sent Off: Zidane (110).

Booked: Sagnol, Diarra, Malouda.

Goals: Zidane 7 pen.

Italy win 5-3 on penalties.

Att: 69,000.

Ref: Horacio Marcelo Elizondo (Argentina).

10th July 2006 01:14 PM
stewed & Keefed Italy squad given heroes' welcome

Italy fans were out on their scooters after the triumph
Italy's World Cup-winning squad touched down at Rome Military Airport at 1745 BST on Monday - to a heroes' welcome from hundreds of supporters.
The plane carrying the team home from Germany landed at Pratica di Mare which is south of the capital.

Thousands of people are now expected to line the streets of Rome.

The squad will meet President Giorgio Napolitano and Prime Minister Romano Prodi before being hailed by thousands of fans at the Circus Maximus.

Highlights: Italy 1-1 France (Italy win 5-3 on penalties)

The plane touched down 15 minutes late but on arrival they were greeted by a fly past by the Italian equivalent of the Red Arrows - the Frecce Tricolori.

Captain Fabio Cannavaro was the first to emerge clutching the trophy, followed by the rest of the players, coaching staff and finally the wives and girlfriends.

The players eventually made their way through the elated followers to the bus that will take them North to the capital where an estimated 500,000 fans will welcome them.

Italy beat France 5-3 on penalties to win their fourth World Cup.

However, the jubilant mood may be dampened if the verdicts regarding the Italian football scandal are announced.

"There were parties long and late into the night. People would have been waking up to the news, they will just about remember, that they are champions of the world," said the BBC's James Munro in Rome.

"Everybody is talking about the Italy team as gladiators. At about 1930 BST there will be about 200,000 people at the Circus Maximus for what is expected to be another great night."

Monday's newspapers in Italy paid tribute to their national team's achievement.

The world belongs to us - La Repubblica

On top of the world - La Stampa

You were magnificent - Il Messaggero

It's true, we are the champions of the world - Gazzetta dello Sport
It was a cacophony of noise and colour both in Italy and among the the Italian communities around the world on Sunday night, with fireworks and car horns filling the air.

Prime Minister Prodi said: "It was a victory won after a fight until the last drop of blood."

But there was tension and often silence among the Azzurri fans during the match.

France took the lead after seven minutes when Zinedine Zidane converted a spot-kick following a foul on Florent Malouda by Marco Materazzi.

The lead did not last long, when defender Materazzi made amends for his earlier mistake by powering home a header to level for the Italians.

But the story of Sunday's encounter came during the second period of extra-time when Zidane was sent off for ramming Materazzi with his head - seemingly in reaction to comments directed comments at the Real Madrid star by the former Everton player.

David Trezeguet missed France's only penalty, while Italy scored all five of theirs, with Fabio Grosso converting the all-important fifth.

10th July 2006 01:17 PM
rstp72
quote:
jamacfly wrote:
You don't have a single clue about football.
I guess you are a curling fan...
Even Moonie's post are more informative.

your avatar shows how brain dead you are and if not you must have the Zidane mentality , either way I feel sorry for you

10th July 2006 01:23 PM
Throwaway http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldFootballNews&storyID=2006-07-10T163843Z_01_L10406204_RTRIDST_0_SPORT-SOCCER-WORLD-FRANCE-ZIDANE.XML
10th July 2006 01:33 PM
gimmekeef So its over?..........France and Italy and no one surrendered?...........
10th July 2006 02:59 PM
Factory Girl
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Congratulations Italy!

Right, as an England fan I must now forget this World Cup and start thinking about Euro 2008!

I'm thinking about the St. Petersburg Summit. Have the Stones played yet in 2006?

Let politicians drink some Russian vodka, Ronnie!!
10th July 2006 04:02 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl A good friend, Stefano Niro, and I made a 2-CD set from this vinyl of the first show in Torino (Turin) in 1982, I scanned the cover and posted it at the Message Board in Spanish before the world Cup and kept it for this board to use it later... I forgot about it and was used yesterday, so it was like a premonition, saved for the last day with the champion in it!!

Here's again, Italian fans will have a week to remember, thw World Cup and the Stones in two days

10th July 2006 04:46 PM
Gazza
quote:
rstp72 wrote:
just for the fact that Zidane doesn't sing the French National Anthem ,shows the mentality.

Fuck me, I didnt realise Jean-Marie Le Pen was a Rocks Off member
10th July 2006 04:51 PM
caro Hehe! Funnily enough, being french makes you a wanker, but you suck even more if you're not proud to be french anyway!

quote:
what a french wanker.....he's a bad sport and have no respect for his teammate nor is country.

quote:
just for the fact that Zidane doesn't sing the French National Anthem ,shows the mentality...he should have retired the first time he announced it.
10th July 2006 05:49 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I love ya Caro... Allez le bleus (never's too late LOL)
10th July 2006 06:33 PM
iluvmickjagger07 does anyone know exactly why zidane did that? ive been trying to find out what that guy did to him that made him so angry.
zidane seems like a nice peaceful man.. that italian must of said something really bad.
i still love zidane! and i love how he hit him with his head instead of the usual punch, kick, or push
10th July 2006 06:50 PM
Madafaka Enjoy it!
http://www.grrrey.com/tmp/zidane.html
11th July 2006 12:17 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
FrankiePeppers wrote:
After enjoying Zidane's play during the games, he pulls that knucklehead stunt. How can a player do that in a championship game!? I think Italy was robbed of a goal on the offsides call. Congratulazioni Italia. To be in an Italian bar tonight!

Penalty kicks aren't the best way to win and definately a cheap way to lose. I feel bad for the French goalkeeper.

FUCK THE FROGS..SERVES EM RIGHT
VIVA THE GUINEAS!
11th July 2006 01:45 AM
Dick Bush Materazzi tenderly whispering Zizou the soft, affectionate words of comfort:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJWjYc1Uhzs&search=zidane%20worldcup

("I'll f. your sister, you dirty moslem terrorist")

This Materazzi is a fickle guy.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)