ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Click the image for more information
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Official ROCKS OFF World Cup Thread VOL. II Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
6th July 2006 04:40 AM
maumau
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Congrats to France. If Italy couldn't beat the US with a man advantage no way will they beat France.

sorry jj but this shows how little you understand of soccer, ehm football. football is about 90mins of agonism, tecnique, tactics where the previous games, let alone history, count very little. each match has its own history. you can play 90mins in your adversary's box and then lose the game on a single counter attack. that is the beauty and the toughness of this game.
You can have the best single players in the world and don't shoot to goal once (see brazil against france) or you can have a team of average players and win the cup (see greece in euro 2004).

anyway congratulations to france. it is going to be a great final, with many great players but also with 2 teams that have good strategy. i agree vieira/pirlo will be a great duel, but also zidane/gattuso or the battles on both wings. Hope iTaly will take revenge of 1998 and 2000 but more than that i hope to see a great game where the best will prevail.
6th July 2006 05:50 AM
Jumacfly maumau, Fabio: good luck for the final, may the best wins!
6th July 2006 06:31 AM
Jumping Jack We shall see who was correct after the game maumau. In any case it should be very entertaining. Good luck to both teams. My only hopes is that it is not decided by a bad call.
6th July 2006 09:24 AM
maumau ok jj, and yes let's hope no bad call
and also let's hope for the players to play fair (no violent faults, no simulation, no provocation etc) because that helps a lot to avoid bad calls
i am proud italians did not do the "cristiano ronaldo's moves" against germany. go on this way
6th July 2006 01:18 PM
Honky Tonk Man Zidanes pre-match warm up!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006310138,,00.html
6th July 2006 01:41 PM
Jumping Jack France compared with aging Stones.

BBC Sports

Old hands still call the tune
By Phil McNulty
Chief football writer in Munich

France's ageing band of stars was cruelly dismissed as being akin to "The Rolling Stones on one last tour" after opening the World Cup in dismal style with a draw against Switzerland.

They were too old, living on past glories, incapable of producing the fire and enthusiasm of their youth - a pale shadow of once glorious talent.

It was a view about Raymond Domenech's team that was merely reinforced by a 1-1 stalemate against South Korea in their second group match.

The ageing legs of Patrick Vieira and Zinedine Zidane, winners in 1998, had outstayed their welcome on the World Cup stage.

Or so it seemed.

And yet a few short weeks after being dismissed as a latter-day Mick and Keith, Vieira and Zidane are once again preparing to play the biggest gig of all, after setting up a World Cup final against Italy with a 1-0 win against Portugal in Munich.

France stirred against Togo, but truly revived their reputation with a win against Spain in the last 16 and a quarter-final victory against Brazil.

Zidane suddenly rolled back the years and Vieira found the miles in his legs that had looked lost for ever at the start of the tournament.

Vindication for them - but even more so for the much-derided coach Domenech.

Domenech is a keen amateur dramatist, and he has shown a flair for pure theatre and drama in pulling France around and setting up their appearance in the final in Berlin.

He has been portrayed as an eccentric, a coach who once delayed naming his goalkeeper for a friendly against Costa Rica after he consulted the stars.

Domenech's left-field approach was underscored when it was revealed he had a distrust of Scorpios, and prefers his defenders not to be Leos because they may have a tendency to show off.

But could it be that it is written in the stars that France will crown the international career of the great Zidane with a second World Cup win, and hand Thierry Henry the ultimate consolation for missing out on the Champions League with Arsenal?

In beating Portugal in Munich, Domenech and his team showed they were prepared to forsake their romantic ideals and replace them with pragmatism.

A lead earned by Zidane's penalty was fiercely protected in the second half, with natural flair sacrificed in favour of the substance of a place in the final.

Domenech immediately set his sights on the next goal.

He said: "Our aim was to still be here on 9 July. Now the new ambition is to have won the World Cup by late on Sunday evening.

"At the moment, it is difficult to realise what we have done, but maybe we will recognise it properly when we get to Berlin."

And he is convinced the presence of old heads in the team is a blessing rather than a curse.

He said: "It is an edge for us to have these experienced players. It is very important, because if you play with inexperienced players there comes a moment when it becomes more difficult."

For Zidane, Vieira and the rest of the heroes of France 98 and Euro 2000, life at this World Cup has become easier.

So "The Rolling Stones" of the World Cup go to Berlin on Sunday - what chance of another reunion tour for Euro 2008 if they beat Italy?

6th July 2006 02:01 PM
caro
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
cheers to you all, I m having my fifth coffee this morning, I ve celebrate the victory with a destroying weed so I got to wake up!!

Yep, France was one big hangover this morning!
6th July 2006 03:48 PM
Dick Bush Are you a football pervert?

If yes, there is a great website for you:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5062154.stm?goalid=500121
8th July 2006 06:47 AM
Jumacfly dedicated to my english pals

http://futebolez.blogs.sapo.pt/57499.html
8th July 2006 07:04 AM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Zidanes pre-match warm up!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006310138,,00.html

LOL...Genius makes it's own rules, I guess!
8th July 2006 07:35 AM
Ronnie Richards I think my feelings towards Zidane just went from respect to true love..
8th July 2006 08:37 AM
maumau if it were not against italy i would hope for another world cup for zinedine, he deserve to be regarded as the best world player in the last 20 years. Ronaldinho? Ronaldo? Shevchenko?...pleeeeease they dont play in his league. He is up there with maradona, pelč, crujiff maybe van basten
8th July 2006 12:36 PM
stewed & Keefed Third-place play-off
Stuttgart
Saturday, 8 July
Kick-off: 2000 BST

Germany captain Michael Ballack will miss Saturday's third-place play-off because of an inflamed left knee.

Per Mertesacker and Arne Friedrich will be replaced by Robert Huth and Marcell Jansen, while Germany have been boosted by Miroslav Klose being declared fit.

Goalkeeper Jens Lehmann has agreed to stand aside so veteran Oliver Khan can play in one last World Cup game, winning his 86th cap.

Portugal defender Miguel misses the game because of a knee injury.

Lehmann meanwhile has said he is happy to stand aside so that Kahn can get an appearance under his belt.

Germany coach Jurgen Klinsmann told BBC Sport: "We owe Oliver that gesture to play him, and there is nobody in this world who can begrudge him that privilege.

"He has played a vital role, almost as a member of the backroom staff and has had a great influence on the development and nurturing of these young players."

Germany (probable): Kahn; Jansen, Metzelder, Huth, Lahm; Schneider, Kehl, Borowski, Frings; Podolski, Klose.

Portugal (probable): Ricardo; Ferreira, Meira, Costa, Valente; Costinho, Maniche, Figo, Ronaldo, Deco; Pauleta.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile Fifa has defended the relevance of the third-place play-off, which tends to be questioned at every World Cup.

Spokesman Markus Siegler said: "I believe there is still a high value in this match. For the players it matters whether they come in third or fourth.

"Especially with Germany playing in the match I think the interest will be high. It is a prestige thing. It's about knowing where the teams finished on the field of play."

8th July 2006 06:06 PM
Ronnie Richards Germany - Portugal 3-1
Good game, great goals
Germany has been a pleasant surprise in an otherwise disappointing World Cup
8th July 2006 07:36 PM
Gazza Apparently, Christiano Ronaldo went to the team doctor after tonights game, complaining that he gets sexually aroused every time he looks in the mirror.

"I'm not surprised" the doc replied, "after all, you ARE a cunt"
8th July 2006 11:16 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Apparently, Christiano Ronaldo went to the team doctor after tonights game, complaining that he gets sexually aroused every time he looks in the mirror.

"I'm not surprised" the doc replied, "after all, you ARE a cunt"

LMFO!
Great one.
9th July 2006 08:36 AM
stewed & Keefed Germany 3-1 Portugal

Two long-range efforts from Bastian Schweinsteiger ensured hosts Germany overcame Portugal to claim third place.
Germany took the lead when midfielder Schweinsteiger cut in from the left and drilled in a swerving shot.

The Germans went two up when the lively Schweinsteiger's free-kick was sliced into his own net by Armando Petit.

Schweinsteiger sealed the victory with another rasping shot from 25 yards and Nuno Gomes headed Portugal a late consolation after a Luis Figo cross.

Goalkeeper Oliver Kahn came in for his 86th cap, while Figo, who was rumoured to have had an argument with coach Luiz Felipe Scolari before the match, was relegated to the substitutes' bench.

The hosts started positively with Sebastian Kehl going close with a shot through a crowded box that appeared to strike Nuno Valente's hand, while Klose slashed a drive wide on the counter.

With only pride at stake, Portugal expressed the kind of freedom that has deserted their play in their previous two outings against England and France.

But apart from Pauleta's curling shot from close range and Kehl's deft lob, neither team could muster the enthusiasm needed to seriously trouble the opposing keeper.

The referee, who was officiating his first game for three weeks, made up for his inactivity by regularly awarding free-kicks for tame fouls.

But the quality of the resulting set-pieces were poor, with only Lucas Podolski's stinging left-foot strike causing any problems.

Luis Figo was brought on for his final cap by Luiz Felipe Scolari

Michael Ballack's yawn from the bench summed up the first 45 minutes, but his boredom turned to delight 10 minutes after the restart when Schweinsteiger unleashed a fierce drive from long range.

Portugal keeper Ricardo will have felt he could have done better with the shot that was driven straight at him.

And five minutes later Germany were two up, with Schweinsteiger again at the heart of the attack.

The midfielder's low free-kick cannoned off Petit as he tried to clear and ended up in the back of the helpless Ricardo's net.

On 76 minutes the disappointing Pauleta made way for Figo who won his 127th and final cap for Portugal.

But even he was unable to lift the despondent Portuguese and Schweinsteiger again found the net from outside the box with a sweetly-struck drive that gave Ricardo no chance.

Both Miroslav Klose and Podolski were then withdrawn, leaving France striker Thierry Henry needing two to tie and a hat-trick to win the Golden Boot in Sunday's final.

Figo's last act in his number seven shirt for Portugal was to lay on a goal for Gomes who headed in from close range.

But the night belonged to the hosts who deservedly claimed third spot to the delight of the home support and coach Jurgen Klinsmann.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Germany: Kahn, Jansen, Nowotny, Metzelder, Lahm, Schneider, Kehl, Frings, Schweinsteiger (Hitzlsperger 79), Klose (Neuville 64), Podolski (Hanke 71).
Subs Not Used: Asamoah, Ballack, Borowski, Friedrich, Hildebrand, Lehmann, Mertesacker, Huth, Odonkor.

Booked: Frings, Schweinsteiger.

Goals: Schweinsteiger 56, Petit 61 og, Schweinsteiger 78.

Portugal: Ricardo, Paulo Ferreira, Ricardo Costa, Meira, Nuno Valente (Nuno Gomes 69), Costinha (Petit 45), Maniche, Deco, Ronaldo, Pauleta (Figo 77), Simao.
Subs Not Used: Boa Morte, Caneira, Miguel, Paulo Santos, Postiga, Quim, Tiago, Viana.

Booked: Ricardo Costa, Costinha, Paulo Ferreira.

Goals: Nuno Gomes 88.

Att: 52,000

Ref: Toru Kamikawa (Japan).

9th July 2006 08:37 AM
stewed & Keefed Italy v France

World Cup final
Berlin
Sunday, 9 July
Kick-off: 1900 BST

Zinedine Zidane is bidding to bring the curtain down on his glittering career by lifting the World Cup trophy for the second time in eight years.

The 34-year-old France captain will retire from professional football after tonight's final against Italy as will 1998 World Cup winner Liliam Thuram.

Italy will be hoping to spoil the party and gain revenge on France following their Euro 2000 final defeat.

They will be without Alessandro Nesta as the defender has a groin injury.

Italy (probable): Buffon; Zambrotta, Grosso, Cannavaro, Materazzi; Gattuso, Camoranesi, Pirlo, Perrotta; Totti; Toni.

France (probable): Barthez; Sagnol, Abidal, Thuram, Gallas; Makelele, Vieira, Malouda, Ribery, Zidane; Henry.

9th July 2006 09:40 AM
Gazza In 1982 at the Stones show in Turin a few hours before the World Cup Final, Mick correctly predicted to the crowd that Italy would beat West Germany 3-1.

With the Stones Italian visit coinciding with another appearance for the Azzurri in the World Cup final 24 years later, he was asked a couple of days ago if he would try and predict it again - so he predicted a 1-0 win for Italy this time.

If it comes off, he may change his name to Nostradamus (who after all, was also a 'Michael')
9th July 2006 01:11 PM
Bingo GOOD LUCK FRANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!
9th July 2006 04:18 PM
TornAndFrayed Why is Zidane such an idiot?
9th July 2006 04:22 PM
sirmoonie Zidane - that was one of the dumbest moves I've ever seen in any sport. What a fucking retard, he may have just blown the game for his team.
9th July 2006 04:42 PM
Rick56 Congrat's to Italy

shame for France

Zidane....well what a nutter
9th July 2006 04:44 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Congratulazioni Italia - Felicitations France
9th July 2006 04:45 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Italy is the champion and will have the stones this week too, great for all of you! Congratulations!!
9th July 2006 04:46 PM
sirmoonie Fuck!!!

I'm sorry, what a ridiculous way to decide a game of that magnitude. Football/Soccer needs to devise a better tie breaker - maybe alternating rounds of 5 minute 6 on 3 or something similar. Its like deciding NBA championship on a free throw competition up to 50.

Anyway, the shortest book in the world will always be Italian War Heroes.
9th July 2006 04:48 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
9th July 2006 04:54 PM
Jumping Jack maumau, you were correct. Congratulation to Italy. This should be one helluva next few days of celebration, particularly in Milano! Enjoy.

Zidane is a no class individual who humiliated his team and his country.
9th July 2006 04:57 PM
Ronnie Richards Fuck, France was clearly the best team
9th July 2006 05:01 PM
time is on my side Congratulations to Italy!!!

I'm sorry for all the Zidane admirers but what a classless way to end his career. What the hell was he thinking??? That had to be the dirtiest play I've seen this World Cup. The commentators here say this is not the first time for the great Zidane.

I think for most of the people who don't follow the sport on a regular basis (like me), he will be remembered for what happened today. That's a shame because from all accounts he was a great player. No excuse for what he did today.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)