ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Rehearsing babies rehearsing...
Arriving to the first rehearsals for the tour - Greenwood School Today
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with many many thank yous!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: NYC - July 1972 Return to archive
July 6th, 2005 06:36 PM
kmc The Stones in NYC - July 1972 - Part One - Tickets

In 1969 there was no notice of Rolling Stones tickets going on sale. No advertisements, internet, radio announcements. I was certainly listening but never saw anything. It was either keep calling the venue or word of mouth. I got my tickets about a month ahead of time by taking a latenight PATH train to Madison Square Garden and getting on line with friends for the 9 a.m. box office opening. One of my friends made the trip to Philly to do likewise there. The shows were all quick sellouts and there were complaints about distribution being unfair, tickets prices being too high, etc. (Sound familiar?)

In July, 1972, Madison Square Garden had booked four midweek shows - including a day/night doubleheader. Plus, you knew the final show was extra special being Mick’s birthday and the last show of what was shaping up to be an awesome tour.

To satisfy all, about a month or so before, the Garden announced that there would be a lottery for tickets. One should mail in a postcard with name and address and hope that your name would be one of the lucky ones selected. If picked, you had the option to buy up to four tickets.

Of course, the first thought that came to mind is to send in postcards with your name, your mom, your granny, your dog, etc. I was lucky because I was working in a college mailroom and had access to a postage stamp machine. Just set the price and run your envelopes through. I made up a zillion names all to my house address and ran the machine to death. I literally sent in hundreds daily. Then it was hope for the best.

Shortly thereafter I received FIVE envelopes from MSG notifying me that I was eligible to buy tickets. FIVE!!!Just mail in the money and get your tickets. No I.D. required. I had tickets for three of the shows and with some trading ending up with ones for all four. None of the tickets were on the floor - all midway up and above, but that was no problem. My kid sister accused me of stealing her mail in a rage - I probably would have - and I gave her two. The rest would go to true Stones fans and a lucky date(s?).

Now one just had to wait for the shows. But there was nothing like that feeling. Sitting there staring at 20 Stones tickets for four shows. Friggin’ unbelievable. It’s still a dream.

More on the shows later. Needless to say, MSG never used the lottery system again.
July 7th, 2005 05:11 PM
littleredrooster WOW!!
That story sounds like we're Siamese TWINS!!!!
Remember the postcards that were a part of the 'Exile On Main St' album???
I sent those in to the MSG 'lottery'!

I sent in 87 postcards, and I hit on 5 of them just as you did!
20 tickets to see the Stones at MSG!!!!!
We picked them up at the box office at the Garden.

I too only had 3 shows, I was missing the Jagger birthday show.....I traded a scalper outside MSG 3 'reds' for 2 'blues' and saw ALL 4 SHOWS!!

The night of the 25th was the BEST......2nd row, floor in front of Bill Wyman!!!

This was chronicled by the film shot that night and from stage left, digitized by the Voodoo Chile!!!!
I'm sure that he will send you the link to the RO thread about it!!

That was quite a lucky score for me as well!!!

Rooooostah
July 8th, 2005 03:11 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
kmc wrote:

To satisfy all, about a month or so before, the Garden announced that there would be a lottery for tickets. One should mail in a postcard with name and address and hope that your name would be one of the lucky ones selected. If picked, you had the option to buy up to four tickets.

Shortly thereafter I received FIVE envelopes from MSG notifying me that I was eligible to buy tickets. FIVE!!!Just mail in the money and get your tickets. No I.D. required. I had tickets for three of the shows and with some trading ending up with ones for all four.

its frightening that the ticketing system in 1972 WORKS A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER than the the ticketing system in 2005!!!

WTF!!!!!!!!

wheres the progress????

basically, technology is what prevents fans from getting tickets today

fuck it! I say bring back the mail in system!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)