ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Rehearsing babies rehearsing...
Arriving to the first rehearsals for the tour - Greenwood School Today
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with many many thank yous!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: How long does mastering an album take? Return to archive
July 5th, 2005 09:52 PM
Bob Tamp Getting very antsy for some information on the new album. Trying not to fall for the usual hype, but as usual Im slipping.

Last I heard on IORR site, was that mixing was complete, and mastering was starting on June 29th. From what I gathered Mastering basically equalizes all the tracks so they play at the same volume etc etc etc.
Is this a long process or can it be done within a couple of days?

Bottom line: Is there any way we will see this "Manhattan Beach" released before the Boston kick off or are we definately waiting until the first week in September.
July 5th, 2005 10:28 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Bob Tamp wrote:

I think that it takes two or three weeks

quote:
Bob Tamp wrote:
Bottom line: Is there any way we will see this "Manhattan Beach" released before the Boston kick off

Sadly, no way in hell. Maybe we will get a leaked version in a month but "I" will not hear it.

quote:
Bob Tamp wrote:
or are we definately waiting until the first week in September.

Sep. 6 is the latest rumor.
July 5th, 2005 10:47 PM
pdog
quote:
Bob Tamp wrote:

Last I heard on IORR site, was that mixing was complete, and mastering was starting on June 29th. From what I gathered Mastering basically equalizes all the tracks so they play at the same volume etc etc etc.

Depends on the band. Stones can afford to go slower and use a month of time working it until they're satisfied. Some other band would have to do it in a few day b/c they don't have the money to spend. The mastering is one of the most important aspects of making a record sound good. Fucking it up and you could get a muddy sounding record, like GHS. Doing it right you get a record like Some Girls. Then again despite the drugs and crazy shit, Exile came out as the best fuck up makind ever created!
Be patient. I'm dying to hear it too. I just try to focus on other stuff. Beleive it or not, there's alot of cool bands under the surface of FM radio and A&R hyped crap. Check out The Rainy Day Saints, these guys rock. They are what rock and roll should be: loud, catchy and hungry!
[Edited by pdog]
July 5th, 2005 11:31 PM
IanBillen [quote]Bob Tamp wrote:
Getting very antsy for some information on the new album. Trying not to fall for the usual hype, but as usual Im slipping.

Bottom line: Is there any way we will see this "Manhattan Beach" released before the Boston kick off or are we definately waiting until the first week in September.

Pdog is correct. A band at the Stones level will be mastering for 2-4 weeks. On average 2-3 weeks. I would guess they are about to wrap it up. Bands that do not have alot of cash may take 2 days and 1000 bucks at some crappy company. At the
stones level they will be getting someone like Bob Ludwig for three weeks at 10,000-15,000 and he WILL take his good old time and make sure it is friggin perfect. He's the best mastering engineer in the Biz.
Mastering cleans up count offs, seperates the songs, puts the songs in album order, takes out anything unwanted and cleans everything up then adjusts the volume levels for the master which is actually glass. The glass master is taken to a duplication plant for reproduction as normal
CD's (and cassettes). I too am growing impatient. I want an official name and release date dammit. They said the album was coming out this summer. here it is July and we do not even have the name or an official release date. Yes they could have it out by tour start easily. That is six weeks from now. They could have it in 5 if they wanted to. I am assuming they have worked on the art work during the mastering time.

Ian

July 6th, 2005 02:16 AM
Bloozehound
July 6th, 2005 04:55 AM
blackandblue Considering the speed the Stones release albums these days I would say 2 years for mastering. So in 2007 all will be ready.
July 6th, 2005 09:18 PM
Bob Tamp the waiting is really starting to iritate me. I want the title, track listing,and release date. I never remember a stones project to be so secretive. Are we even going to get a new album? LOL
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)