ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Rehearsing babies rehearsing...
Arriving to the first rehearsals for the tour - Greenwood School Today
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with many many thank yous!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Best Bits of Live 8 Return to archive Page: 1 2
July 4th, 2005 05:17 AM
Voodoo Scrounge There were not many things I enjoyed at the Live 8 concert even though I did sit and watch it all day long. Sad.

However, there were a couple of acts whom I thought stood out from the rest.

REM were fantastic
Snow Patrol were great and should have been given longer
The Killers were superb and only got to do one song
Annie Lennox played a great version of "Why"
Richard Ashcroft guesting with Coldplay was monumental
Duran Duran were great in Italy
July 4th, 2005 06:30 AM
albert Highlights (too few):
- Green day in Berlin
- REM
- The Who (always)
- Robbie Williams (I know, but he's a entertainer pur sang for sure!)
- Madonna
- Pink Floyd

pitty I missed Neil Young in Barrie.

I think The Stones should have been there in London. Just the five of them, like at the press conference.

Albert
Holland
July 4th, 2005 06:53 AM
Zeeta McCartney was nauseous...

Loved Elton and Pete Libertine - brilliantly crap!

Razorlite were OK
July 4th, 2005 06:54 AM
glencar Madonna was actually pretty good. I only saw the highlights show. PF was amazing. REM was dull. The Who rawked but Daltrey's voice is shredded. New singer, perhaps?
July 4th, 2005 07:26 AM
Voodoo Scrounge How the fuck Daltrey and Townshed have the cheek to still call themselves the Who is beyond me. Daltreys voice is fucked and I never rated Pead Townshend in the first place. If REM were dull, what does that make Pink Floyd. I did actually fall asleep during their set. Lets hope they leave it another 24 years before they try again ehh?
Maddona should have just stuck to doing her earlier stuff. Like a Prayer was fantastic. I thought that Velvet Revolver rocked like a bastard. Unfortunately it was all above that soppy crowds head.
July 4th, 2005 07:43 AM
Lazy Bones This link was forwarded to me - Neil's (from the Canadian Live 8 show) "When God Made Me" (in mp3)...

http://www.thesongdog.de/rust/sounds/ny_20050702_wgmm.mp3
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
July 5th, 2005 02:00 AM
Sir Stonesalot I have seen pretty much everything that has been mentioned so far.

I thought most of it sucked, and a few things were just OK. There was nothing great or brilliant.

The things that were OK "SEEMED" to be better because of how shitty and lame everything else was. It's like that one average looking chick in a bar full of ugly chicks. She looks a lot better because of the group she's in. She's still average just the same.

The best thing I saw was The Who, and I thought they were just mediocre. They certainly weren't near as good as the last time I saw them in 2002. Velvet Revolver, I don't hate...but I don't love them either. They are just too cartoony for me. Sure they looked like they rawked...but that's because nothing else did up until they played.

The best bit of Live 8? That's easy. The part when it was over.
July 5th, 2005 08:05 AM
J.J.Flash Velvet Revolver had been fan fuckin' tastic....

...but then.....

Velvet Revolver......

and also.....

Velvet Revolver.....

unfortunately.....Jay missed "The O's".....hope Joey doesn't get mad.....

Pink Floyd played brilliantly......

As I am peaceful as usual.....I won't spit my poison on those "new groups" like Coldplay.... neither on those fake R&B and rap crap.......
July 5th, 2005 08:35 AM
jb The best thing was not watching it...how anyone could waste a beautiful Saturday(at least in Florida) watching this is appalling.
July 5th, 2005 08:44 AM
Nellcote IMO it was fairly dissapointing.
Nothing from this show would top Live Aid, and for argument's
sake, I pulled out the dvd from that show after, which
drove home the brilliance of that event.
The acts this time were not killer..
And, the Philly show was over by 6P in the States.
Which left me with a "is that all there is" feeling..
I recall the Philly show in '85 going well into the night..
MTV was obnoxious about cutting acts to let the vj's blabber on and on and on...they forgot the event was not about them.
Did not get to see Neil Young, however, Green Day was good..
July 5th, 2005 08:46 AM
jb
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
IMO it was fairly dissapointing.
Nothing from this show would top Live Aid, and for argument's
sake, I pulled out the dvd from that show after, which
drove home the brilliance of that event.
The acts this time were not killer..
And, the Philly show was over by 6P in the States.
Which left me with a "is that all there is" feeling..
I recall the Philly show in '85 going well into the night..
MTV was obnoxious about cutting acts to let the vj's blabber on and on and on...they forgot the event was not about them.
Did not get to see Neil Young, however, Green Day was good..

Green Day was good, but they have no respect for America!!!
July 5th, 2005 09:13 AM
Madafaka The Who and Pink Floyd!
July 5th, 2005 09:17 AM
jb
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
The Who and Pink Floyd!

I watched a replay of Pink Floyd..that is some boring shit.... I missed the band that still calls themselves the "Who"....It should be "Townshend and Daltrey" similar to 'Page and Plant" ...............................................
July 5th, 2005 09:24 AM
Madafaka I don't know how you can find boring PF. Really, I don't know...
July 5th, 2005 09:36 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
jb wrote:
Green Day was good, but they have no respect for America!!!

American Idiot is absolutely brilliant!
July 5th, 2005 09:38 AM
jb
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

They are are very good band, but their political agenda is not necessary.
July 5th, 2005 09:50 AM
gimmekeef Hardly memorable from a "wow" perspective.Too much hip hop for Philly and the DJ's pretty much ruined it with their constant bs.If Live Aid was a 9/10 I'd give this show a 6 at best.Yes Floyd played very well..but so what.. might as well just play their records over the loud speaker because theres little difference.Macca really sucked and that Hey Jude...gimme a break!..On with the real show in Fenway!!!
July 5th, 2005 10:06 AM
jb Pink Floyd has about as much stage presence as watching a snail crawling up a window....
July 5th, 2005 10:30 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
jb wrote:
Pink Floyd has about as much stage presence as watching a snail crawling up a window....

Hi Josh....

Any word from Joey and his vacations?!?
July 5th, 2005 10:32 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Pink Floyd were very average. They dont really have much of a live side except from those laser beams which blind you every time you look at the stage.

Boring
July 5th, 2005 10:38 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
jb wrote:
They are are very good band, but their political agenda is not necessary.

In your opinion.

Many artists write about religion and politics. It's a voice. Not only because they can, but because they feel strongly about it.

You vote, don't you Josh? Do you think that's necessary? That's a voice...
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
July 5th, 2005 10:45 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I dont mind Green Day singing about politics. Its not as if they have anything new or interesting to say is it. Everything they sing about is anti bush. Same old story.
July 5th, 2005 11:12 AM
Pierre - The Who
- Madonna
- Pink Floyd (fanstastic)
July 5th, 2005 11:24 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
I dont mind Green Day singing about politics. Its not as if they have anything new or interesting to say is it. Everything they sing about is anti bush. Same old story.

It will be interesting to see if the Stones release the new supposed political song they've recorded called "NeoCon"....rumors but we'll see....
July 5th, 2005 11:25 AM
jb
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:

Hi Josh....

Any word from Joey and his vacations?!?

yES...HE IS GONE ALL WEEK...HE WILL NOT BE A FACTOR...i MISS HIM ALREADY!
July 5th, 2005 11:25 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

Yeah, it was brilliant when it came out in 1974 and was called Quadrophenia. Now it's tired bullshit - the only good song on there is "Holiday," and covering "We Are The Champions" at Live 8 just confirmed my suspicions that they are pretentious hacks. Townshend's a pretentious hack, too, but at least he admits it and is now actually going to rectify it with a new album with whatever tripe he's calling The Who these days. I agree, call it Daltrey and Townshend, or "The 2 Who" or something lame like that but don't call it The Who - that name was on thin ice from '78 to '82 and should have been retired before the inevitable reunion tours. When they got really good again in 2000 they could go back to it, but now Entwhistle is toast and there can be no replacement. Anyhow, back to the original point - Green Day are no-talent snot-nosed little punks who think they're cool stealing Quadrophenia, just like they thought it was cool to coast through the late 90s by ripping off the Kinks.

I thought Floyd's set was decent. Want to talk about gone voices, though? Try Roger Waters.

Neil Young's new song pissed me off. One of the things I did not need to hear in my life was a grating gospel song by Neil Young. "After The Gold Rush" is the closest he's allowed to get to gospel. He would have been much better-advised to play "Bandit" after "Four Strong Winds" if he wanted to do something recent. I did like how he totally showed Maroon 5 the door with "Rocking In The Free World" - "OK, kids, here's how the song actually goes, you can go back to your moping now."

Overall, yeah, a waste of time with no discernable message besides Will Smith and Madonna.
[Edited by TheSavageYoungXyzzy]
July 5th, 2005 01:54 PM
mickmask I went. Barrie Ontario.
Neil Young....incredible.
Deep Purple...didn't miss a beat. Personal treat to hear them perform SOTW live.
Gordon Lightfoot...frail but still a beautiful voice.

All in all....fantastic day.

Mickmask
July 5th, 2005 02:13 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
How the fuck Daltrey and Townshed have the cheek to still call themselves the Who is beyond me. Daltreys voice is fucked and I never rated Pead Townshend in the first place.

You make Joey weep and shit liquid!

WHY??!WHY??!WHY??!WHY??!WHY??!WHY??!WHY??!WHY??!

July 5th, 2005 02:46 PM
texile the highlight for me was the vjs stupid commentary......
priceless and so representative of the whole event.
July 5th, 2005 04:48 PM
glencar Who is this Rachel Perry & why is she suddenly their big presenter? And the black guy with the Huggy Bear hat is inanimate.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)