ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Rehearsing babies rehearsing...
Arriving to the first rehearsals for the tour - Greenwood School Today
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with many many thank yous!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Brian Jones 'bust' unveiled Return to archive Page: 1 2
July 6th, 2005 03:37 AM
FotiniD Just who had the idea for the colorful hair / green face combo? Really an insult. How could anyone make this and consider it good enough to be put up in public is beyond me.

And I agree with SIA - I think we're way past the whole "role model" era. And apart from that, what's all the bitterness for, Voodoo Scroonge? I mean, give the guy a break; if nothing else, if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't be here talking about the Stones.

I was watching the Circus dvd last night, with the Marianne Faithfull commentary on. I found really interesting what she said, that even now she couldn't think of what could have been done for Brian back then. It must have been really hard dealing with his problems, but honestly, I come to think that most times talent goes hand in hand with depression / accompanying problems. Not all the times certainly, but quite often. Think of Kurt Cobain, whose whole drug problems / way of life really remind me of Brian's.

Anyway, off topic already... The bust is hideous.
July 6th, 2005 03:43 AM
Voodoo Scrounge No its not off topic. This is a Brian Jones related thread and we are talking about Brian Jones. The thing that really gets up my nose about the guy is all the sympathy he gets for being a pathetic junkie, all beit a talented pathetic junkie.
We ALL have big problems in life, but we dont all choose to go and get out of our heads on heavy drugs and waste ourselves away.
I have no bitterness toward him other than that which I get from knowing that he WAS a bad role model to people. He WAS a lame excuse for a human and that people WANT to celebrate that.
July 6th, 2005 03:57 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
No I agree you shouldnt be burdened with the responsibility of being a role model just because you are famous. But its a natural thing. If you are in the public eye then you are a role model. Fact

OK. I appreciate the distinction you make but your comments re brian suggested you thought he had to live up to being one
July 6th, 2005 04:46 AM
Gazza
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
No I agree you shouldnt be burdened with the responsibility of being a role model just because you are famous. But its a natural thing. If you are in the public eye then you are a role model. Fact

thats the problem of "the public" if you ask me and of the media for building people up to be super-human.

If someone's lives are so empty and pointless they feel they have to look up to a celebrity theyve never met and live their lives THROUGH that person, then its an indictment more of themselves than the celebrity.

Its hard enough having to live with your OWN fuck ups and problems without taking on the job of "role model" for some dickhead you've never met just because they happen to own some of your records.

July 6th, 2005 04:56 AM
blackandblue
quote:
Back Street Girl wrote:

Who is that faggot?
July 6th, 2005 05:14 AM
Voodoo Scrounge
quote:
Gazza wrote:

thats the problem of "the public" if you ask me and of the media for building people up to be super-human.

If someone's lives are so empty and pointless they feel they have to look up to a celebrity theyve never met and live their lives THROUGH that person, then its an indictment more of themselves than the celebrity.

Its hard enough having to live with your OWN fuck ups and problems without taking on the job of "role model" for some dickhead you've never met just because they happen to own some of your records.

Yeah I agree with that wholeheartedly, but it still stands that people do look up to celebs and so on. Sad, but true.
[Edited by Voodoo Scrounge]
July 6th, 2005 06:06 AM
blackandblue I think Bill Wyman deserves such a statue. That golden wig would suit him nice.
July 6th, 2005 06:07 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Bill Wyman.Phil Spector

Seperated at Birth!
July 6th, 2005 06:17 AM
blackandblue
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
Bill Wyman.Phil Spector

Seperated at Birth!

?????
July 6th, 2005 07:50 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
No its not off topic. This is a Brian Jones related thread and we are talking about Brian Jones. The thing that really gets up my nose about the guy is all the sympathy he gets for being a pathetic junkie, all beit a talented pathetic junkie.
We ALL have big problems in life, but we dont all choose to go and get out of our heads on heavy drugs and waste ourselves away.
I have no bitterness toward him other than that which I get from knowing that he WAS a bad role model to people. He WAS a lame excuse for a human and that people WANT to celebrate that.

Oh come on now Voodoo Scroonge, then in that case we should write all addicts off and forget treatment, therapeutic centers etc. and leave all "pathetic junkies" to their current status, since, well, they're asking for it!

Yes, we all have problems in our lives but not all of us have ways of dealing with them. And we don't all have the same problems or the same backgrounds. It's a very complicated matter.

The reasons that lead a person to drug abuse are much more complex than saying "well, he CHOSE to do it, so to hell with it". You don't know the background, the specific conditions that existed. And I don't think Brian Jones got sympathy for being a junkie, nor is anyone glorifying his drug use. That's just not the point.

What I'm trying to say is that there are real reasons behind drug addiction. People do mistakes and get stuck on them - it could happen to anyone.
July 6th, 2005 08:46 AM
Voodoo Scrounge No. It doesnt just HAPPEN to someone!
Taking a drug is a concience choice made by YOU. Nobody Else
July 6th, 2005 09:03 AM
Gazza
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:

Yeah I agree with that wholeheartedly, but it still stands that people do look up to celebs and so on. Sad, but true.

yes but that is solely down to their own shortcomings and lack of self esteem.

You cant hold someone you admire for artistic reasons accountable for your own personal stupidity (I'm generalising, I dont mean you personally) if you feel obliged to live your life through them.

As much as I admire Mick Jagger and Keith Richards for their musical output and the pleasure they've brought into my life, it's never occurred to me to be either a social climbing serial adulterer or a heroin addict.

Anyone getting into the music business does so to make a living, because they enjoy the music and probably to get laid. I cant think of anyone who start out on a career where they're seriously thinking about being a role model to people. If they dont invite that tag, it shouldnt be thrown at them. Unless they're making direct public statements along the lines of "take heroin, kids - its good for you" of course.

Unfortunately in the blame-culture society we live in, everyone wants someone else to be accountable for their own fucked up life. And the media are always looking for a scapegoat for society's shortcomings.

Brian Jones certainly had MANY faults as a human being (and especially as an irresponsible father) but that shouldnt totally nullify the pleasure he gave to millions of people as well
July 6th, 2005 09:05 AM
Gazza
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
No. It doesnt just HAPPEN to someone!
Taking a drug is a concience choice made by YOU. Nobody Else

which proves my point about the lack of importance of musicians as 'role models'...
July 7th, 2005 05:51 PM
gypsy Here's another picture of the Brian Jones bust.

Photo courtesy of Paul Gillis/Rexfeatures
July 7th, 2005 05:53 PM
gypsy Is it me, or does Brian's left eye resemble that of the Runaway Bride's?
It is not a good likeness. The lips look like Brian's and the nose is okay.
July 7th, 2005 06:00 PM
oldkr can we start a collection to have its removal paid for????

BECAUSE IM OLDKR
July 7th, 2005 06:38 PM
gypsy
quote:
oldkr wrote:
can we start a collection to have its removal paid for????

BECAUSE IM OLDKR

Seriously!
Why couldn't they have just done a classic bronze statue? I don't understand why they screw everything up when it comes to Brian. It's completely disrespectful.
July 7th, 2005 06:51 PM
glencar If we start a collection, will they sell off his old clothes to raise funds? What more can they do to his memory?
July 8th, 2005 02:06 PM
stewed & Keefed http://www.brianjonesfc.com/

July 8th, 2005 02:44 PM
Blackcloakcat [quote]Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
Its Hideous, Its Ugly, Its Foul and I love it.

For god sake guys, its Brian Jones we are talking about here. Why should any council feel under pressure to spend thousands on a statue of a man who was a BAD role model for children and who suffered a self induced narcotic death? There are much better people out there who have nothing to their name.

You would all be up in arms if they didnt have anything there at all. And before you say it, yes I bet you would prefer nothing instead of that.

The only credit he deserves is that he gets from starting the greatest band in the world.

Sorry,all Brian fans, but I must agree. Once you get past the talent, Brian was not a nice person, to say the least.Many claim he's a victim. Yes,in ways, he was a victim, but he left plenty of victims out of his selfishness & cruelty
- from friends & band mambers who depended on him,to beaten girlfriends, his family, & a string of callously regected & unsupported children...if the Stones & their music weren't around now,he'd be a forgotten nobody. BCC
July 9th, 2005 07:35 AM
stonedinaustralia Blackcloakcat

there's been plenty of statues made for people more reprehensible than brian

you say:The only credit he deserves is that he gets from starting the greatest band in the world.

well that's the point isn't it

brian is worth remembering - all this role model stuff well i've had my say on that above - and that "bad parent" business - well he was i guess - particularly if you judge him by today's norms (which is intrinsically unfair) - and he took a lot of drugs....well hello - so did a vast number of histories greatest artists and thinkers (thomas edison, the man who gave the 20th century just about everything, had a raging coke habit - they derided him too you know)- drugs go with the turf to a large degree and it's all down to how you handle them and how they handle you

don't forget it was the stones who catalouged if not contributed to a change in attitude towards many things - if he'd done what was expected of him back then he should have been a good dad and given up the sax and stealing from his employers and worked hard to be a good little dentist - well...ultimately - that's all beside the point

brian for all his faults (which i say are irrelevant anyway) was, in my view, the source of that thing of the stones that sets them apart - a nastiness and dangerousness (which mick and keith jointly co-opted after his death-)-it was his undoing in the end i suppose partly because his talents for instilling that feeling into the band were greater than his talents as a musician and the logical end to that contribution was his self destruction - but we're all still sucking on the tit of his misfortune

afterall it's all about the music and brian's greatest contribution in that regard may not have been his musicianship per se and some have said he was more interested in being a pop-star than a musician - but his efforts in spreading the word of the power of the music - for being an arrogant self-obsessed provincial english boy who got it together to play elmore james' guitar lines note for note and (almost) emote for emote and for putting those lines into button down living rooms across the globe...you might ask is a badly done bust enough tribute

we should build him a monument - a pyriamid would be good - i believe a song he wrote with keith (an instrumental) was called "dust my pyriamid" ...or how about an obelisk 200 metres high - right next to Marlborough Street Magistrates Court??

at bottom tho i agree with gypsy - if they were going to do it at all why didn't they do it properly??

Again you said:if the Stones & their music weren't around now,he'd be a forgotten nobody.

well, they're not and he isn't

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
July 9th, 2005 08:33 AM
HellsRollingThunder I am so glad Voodoo Scrounge is an authority on the subject of
drug abuse and alcoholism. I guess somewhere in is life he must
have seen a lot of it and formed this misguided opinion. No one
WANTS to become an addict. Myself included. Unless you have
been there and have walked the walk you may want to not talk
about something you obviously no NOTHING about!!

Brian's death was NOT because of drugs or alcohol. He was
MURDERED by Frank Thorogood. And that is a FACT!! You might try reading the autopsy and the NONFICTION books about his death and the last days leading up to it. They say a little bit of
knowledge is a Dangerous Thing. Well I know damn well I do NOT
have to ever listen to you because you obviously have personal
issues with this subject. I really don't care, because I am going on
with my recovery and people like you don't matter anyway.

Brian was never a role model and was never meant to be. He was
a musician and he had personal problems and drug/alcohol problems. So did the Beatles, the other Stones, Elvis Presley and
thousands of others. Some of them died from it and others actually
turned their lives around.

One more thing, if you HATE drug addicts and drunks so much
why in the hell are you posting here anyway?
July 9th, 2005 02:17 PM
littleredrooster Although it is the artist's interpretation, IT IS HIDEOUS!!!

Reminds me of Knute Rockne.....'Play ONE for the Gipper!!!'
July 9th, 2005 02:34 PM
pdog
quote:
gypsy wrote:

I hope they didn't pay much for that bust. It is quite hideous.
The whole thing is a joke.

He looks like an Umpa Loompa...
Jeez! This is bad. I'm not promoting vandalism, but someone needs to knock that thing down. How much did they pay for that. Between the 3 big stones boards at a bout $5.00 per person we could come up with the money for something good!
FUCK!
I can't look at it, it hurts us! It burns us! We hates it, my precious!
July 9th, 2005 02:54 PM
KeepRigid I'm sorry, but that is funny as shit.

I love how the pic of Brian (on the main page) is staring up at it as if to say, "Christ Almighty."

[Edited by KeepRigid]
July 9th, 2005 03:17 PM
blackandblue These sheeba eyes are great!
July 9th, 2005 03:32 PM
gypsy
quote:
KeepRigid wrote:
I'm sorry, but that is funny as shit.

I love how the pic of Brian (on the main page) is staring up at it as if to say, "Christ Almighty."

[Edited by KeepRigid]

Love the avatar. Leave it to you.
It is funny, but it is sad that Brian's memory keeps getting shat on - selling his pool tiles, the biopic, and now this heinous bust. It's all very tacky.

And, no, I am not a huge Brian fan/fanatic at all. I agree with most of what Blackcloakcat posted.
But I believe that if you're going to "honor" this man, do it with some class. Please.
July 11th, 2005 06:30 AM
swapwoodfortaylor Unfortunately it is so bad that no one will even nick it!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)