ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Rehearsing babies rehearsing...
Arriving to the first rehearsals for the tour - Greenwood School Today
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with many many thank yous!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Brian Jones 'bust' unveiled Return to archive Page: 1 2
July 3rd, 2005 03:33 PM
swapwoodfortaylor I hear from my Cheltenham contact that the bust has been unveilled in The Beechwood Shopping Arcade. Sadly it sounds as though it is some bizarre mess with yellow hair and green face. What's the matter with those dopy Councillors over there? There should have been a huge serious statue errected years ago...and not tucked away in a shopping arcade!!
July 3rd, 2005 06:30 PM
GhostofBrianJones Yes it is a shame that Cheltenham is still living in the past circa
1960's and back. How ignorant can they get? That is a shame
when a town cannot even acknowledge that one of members of
its community became famous, started the world's greatest Rock
and Roll Band and was a brilliant man, musician and lover of
music and the blues. What does it take for those people to finally
come into the 21st century and grow up!? If I had the money I would do it in a minute. And NOT in a shopping mall either. I had
read the road they were talking about naming after Brian was instead given to a person of acceptable qualifications only he had
the same if not worse problems than Brian was indicated to have
had. ROCK ON BRIAN JONES!!
July 3rd, 2005 11:08 PM
HellsRollingThunder check out the picture of the bust on [email protected]

It is absolutely HORRIBLE!! You will NOT believe it! Really
a monster of a horrible mess!!

If anyone has trouble with the above address check Yahoo
listings I mean this thing looks like something out of Star Trek!!
July 4th, 2005 02:35 PM
stewed & Keefed It's a fucking joke.
July 4th, 2005 02:48 PM
stewed & Keefed Unbelievable.

July 4th, 2005 04:57 PM
glencar Clicking on the link only gets me an email addy. No thanks. Can someone post an actual photo?
July 4th, 2005 05:00 PM
Moonisup oh my god, that's REALY ugly. Poor brian, 36 years after his dead, still people don't take him serious
July 4th, 2005 05:04 PM
Back Street Girl
July 4th, 2005 05:43 PM
gypsy
quote:
Back Street Girl wrote:

I hope they didn't pay much for that bust. It is quite hideous.
The whole thing is a joke.
July 4th, 2005 05:56 PM
Back Street Girl Looks like someone poured custard over it.
July 4th, 2005 06:04 PM
gypsy Once you get past the "hair" and notice the face - it bears no resemblance to Brian whatsoever. My neighbor is an excellent sculptress - I have no doubt in my mind that she could have done a wonderful job.
July 4th, 2005 07:15 PM
Steel Wheels That is a fucking joke. Was it made of Play-Dough?
July 4th, 2005 07:39 PM
Angiegirl Hideous! Horrible! Howe uncool!

An insult.
July 4th, 2005 09:30 PM
voodoopug It's nice to see the Oompa Loompas remembered!

on a serious note....This is a humiliating depiction!
July 4th, 2005 09:34 PM
glencar Shockingly bad...
July 4th, 2005 10:22 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Check another shot of the "statue" at Gerry's message board

http://www.voy.com/30551/
July 4th, 2005 11:42 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
It's nice to see the Oompa Loompas remembered!

LOL!!!
July 5th, 2005 07:32 AM
glencar The link to Gerry's board shows me that those idiots who bought pool tiles from where BJ died helped fund this monstrosity. LOL Karma's funny!
July 5th, 2005 07:46 AM
Gazza Christ, that bust is fucking hideous.

Is this some kind of bad joke?

No wonder Miss U's pissed off so much.
July 5th, 2005 08:00 AM
glencar That was her money that paid for it!
July 5th, 2005 08:22 AM
GerryS Actually it wasn't the pool tile money that paid for the statue..at least not all of it. David Reynolds had a separate fund going for what was to be a lifesize statue (I shudder to think what THAT would have looked like) I believe this one cost something like 6,000 pounds. (Gazza..about how much is that in dollars?) If you look at the pic on my board, you'll see a smaller pic of Brian near base of statue (with that same yellow omllette on his head...there's another one on the other side.) THOSE the members of Reynolds club picked out from photos they could vote on. One girl paid a substantial amount toward the statue way back when the fund first started. Wonder what she's thinking now?!
God almighty..no wonder Brian wanted to get the hell out of Dodge...er, I mean Cheltenham.
I'm not 100% sure but will check with my friend who took the picture, but I am sure I read somewhere that the statue sits across from a closed down record store in that Mall. If true, abit of irony there too.
July 5th, 2005 08:36 AM
Nellcote If a green G was painted on the side of his head, I'd swear a statute for some Green Bay linebacker was just put up..
A for effort though...
July 5th, 2005 10:43 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Its Hideous, Its Ugly, Its Foul and I love it.

For god sake guys, its Brian Jones we are talking about here. Why should any council feel under pressure to spend thousands on a statue of a man who was a BAD role model for children and who suffered a self induced narcotic death? There are much better people out there who have nothing to their name.

You would all be up in arms if they didnt have anything there at all. And before you say it, yes I bet you would prefer nothing instead of that.

The only credit he deserves is that he gets from starting the greatest band in the world.
July 5th, 2005 01:26 PM
GerryS "Its Hideous, Its Ugly, Its Foul and I love it.

For god sake guys, its Brian Jones we are talking about here. Why should any council feel under pressure to spend thousands on a statue of a man who was a BAD role model for children and who suffered a self induced narcotic death? "

Did you bother to read my post? the FAN CLUB in Cheltenham paid for the statue from donations from members, not the council.
And he didn't suffer a self-induced narcotic death. Read the autopsy . Death by misadventure is just a catchall for we don't have a clue nor do we care.

July 5th, 2005 03:30 PM
Gazza
quote:
GerryS wrote:
I believe this one cost something like 6,000 pounds. (Gazza..about how much is that in dollars?)

at today's exchange rate, Gerry, thats $10,535.00.

I can feel you shudder from over here...
July 5th, 2005 07:43 PM
GerryS Oh my God Gazza!!! Reynolds has to be a lunatic to pay that kind of money! Oh wait a minute, what am I saying? I had to work with him once upon a time, he IS a lunatic!
I don't understand why the remaining members of his club are not storming his home about now! Those who donated for this atrocity anyway.
July 5th, 2005 08:13 PM
Soldatti OMG!
The worst bust that I've seen so far.
July 5th, 2005 08:18 PM
glencar
quote:
GerryS wrote:
Actually it wasn't the pool tile money that paid for the statue..at least not all of it. David Reynolds had a separate fund going for what was to be a lifesize statue (I shudder to think what THAT would have looked like) I believe this one cost something like 6,000 pounds. (Gazza..about how much is that in dollars?) If you look at the pic on my board, you'll see a smaller pic of Brian near base of statue (with that same yellow omllette on his head...there's another one on the other side.) THOSE the members of Reynolds club picked out from photos they could vote on. One girl paid a substantial amount toward the statue way back when the fund first started. Wonder what she's thinking now?!
God almighty..no wonder Brian wanted to get the hell out of Dodge...er, I mean Cheltenham.
I'm not 100% sure but will check with my friend who took the picture, but I am sure I read somewhere that the statue sits across from a closed down record store in that Mall. If true, abit of irony there too.

Thanks for the info, Gerry! It's a shame no matter how they paid for it.
July 5th, 2005 08:50 PM
stonedinaustralia needless to say i agree with every one elses assessment - it's an outrage and an insult and just a very bad piece of work

it's just so hopeless - it looks nothing like him and the hair - well to see the funny side - it's hairlarious

voodoo scrounge i note your comments - that "role model" line is nonsense - rock and rollers do not have to be burdened with such stuff - i don't even agree that sports people should have to be "role models"

just because you are in the public eye and make lots of cash doesn't mean you are obliged to act in any particular way (IMHO)
July 6th, 2005 03:33 AM
Voodoo Scrounge No I agree you shouldnt be burdened with the responsibility of being a role model just because you are famous. But its a natural thing. If you are in the public eye then you are a role model. Fact
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)