ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Rehearsing babies rehearsing...
Arriving to the first rehearsals for the tour - Greenwood School Today
© 2005 Mr. Jimmy with many many thank yous!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Thank You Rolling Stones Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
July 3rd, 2005 07:48 AM
jb For not showing up for this dreadful LIve 8 crap...I have read more reviews today and as expected U2 and Macca were wriiten up like they deserve Sainthood....Thankfully, you did not get swept up in this political nonsense and enjoyed a lovely saturday instead of being humiliated by being associated with the self-serving publicity whores like macca, bono, et al. Africa has actually gotten worse since Live Aid ...A bunch of rock stars is not going to make a difference......You have shown the workd why you are still the greatest band on earth...
July 3rd, 2005 07:51 AM
glencar Hear hear, my bitch! You are as almost usual "spot on" & really, you don't need Joey. You've now come into your own.
[Edited by glencar]
July 3rd, 2005 07:55 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Hear hear, my bitch! You are as almost usual "spot on" & really, you don't need Joey. You've now come into your own.
[Edited by glencar]

Some people are upset they didn't help the kids!!! Can you imagine the naievity?
July 3rd, 2005 07:57 AM
glencar It's not naivete, it's STOOPIDITY! They are just so uninformed. The concert was to amke the celebs feel good. They got $12K goodie bags. It was like the Oscars. Your news about Kanye West disturbs me deeply. So much stoopidity abounds.
July 3rd, 2005 07:59 AM
Moonisup lol
July 3rd, 2005 08:00 AM
glencar Dutch Rik!
July 3rd, 2005 08:00 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
It's not naivete, it's STOOPIDITY! They are just so uninformed. The concert was to amke the celebs feel good. They got $12K goodie bags. It was like the Oscars. Your news about Kanye West disturbs me deeply. So much stoopidity abounds.

Exactly!!!! Like a big, self-congratulatory party...Plus, the Stones make no bone about it that they are in it for the money...and there is nothing wrong with that!
July 3rd, 2005 08:03 AM
glencar The concert was for a good cause but most of those celebs are dimwits who don't put their money where tehre mouths are. Of course, Bono is the exception. Macca is the standard fool.
July 3rd, 2005 08:05 AM
jb
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
lol

Rik, how was the Dutch Live? Did SSC make an appearance?
July 3rd, 2005 08:06 AM
glencar No Amsterdam show. Only the Stones love the Dutch enough to go there repeatedly.
July 3rd, 2005 08:06 AM
Moonisup haah there was none!
I was waiting for mick!
But the stones could have played 1 song, satisfaction, and hyde park would have gone nuts. but no, I am fan of a band who is putting their legacy to waste
July 3rd, 2005 08:08 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
The concert was for a good cause but most of those celebs are dimwits who don't put their money where tehre mouths are. Of course, Bono is the exception. Macca is the standard fool.

Bono is no better.......he is a self-serving toad faced bitch.
July 3rd, 2005 08:09 AM
glencar LOL I disagree Joshy but it's not that important.
July 3rd, 2005 10:04 AM
Gazza
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
haah there was none!
I was waiting for mick!
But the stones could have played 1 song, satisfaction, and hyde park would have gone nuts. but no, I am fan of a band who is putting their legacy to waste

agreed.

Its easy to be cynical about the point of these big events (and I can see the argument to a certain degree), but the Stones (as always) managed to make themselves look out of touch and out of step by not being there.

Aside from the humanitarian side of it, this was a great chance for the Stones to prove they are the 'greatest rock n roll band in the world'. Had they played Hyde Park yesterday, I guarantee you they would have and could have blown everyone else out of the water.

It was also an opportunity missed to let a generation of people who have never seen them/cant afford to see them get exposure to their music and their live show. Its no fucking wonder they have no fan base whatsoever under 35. For all their touring over the last few years, they are to a large section of the public remote and almost invisible to the point where they may as well not exist.

Quite simply, they persist in keeping up the image of a bunch of out of touch greedy bastards who wont get out of bed unless they're paid millions for their trouble (please dont mention SARStock - they were paid some $10 milliion for their inconvenience that day). For the second time in 20 years, not playing an event that showcased the top names in music makes them look like they cant face the competition either.

It was a missed opportunity to live up to their reputation and show the world what they really are as a live act and to stick two fingers up to the wankers who think they should have quit twenty years ago. The Who did it last night. The Stones will never have had a better platform to make their ageist critics eat their words forever.

Next time there's one of these dopey opinion polls on "best band in the world" and "best band of all time" and you see the Stones languishing at about #25 behind the likes of relative lightweights like Coldplay, Velvet Revolver and the like, think of the reason before some of you get all indignant about it.

Everyone knows who they are, but only a relatively small percentage of those people can get to see them in the flesh or even on TV. No wonder their record sales are so underwhelming compared to the level of fame they have.

[Edited by Gazza]
July 3rd, 2005 10:12 AM
lotsajizz Live 8 was lame, the coverage worse, the concept stupid, and the Stones only look better for not getting involved with such childish wankers...thank you Glimmer Twins!!
July 3rd, 2005 10:37 AM
corgi37 Gotta disagree Gazza. It was the most embarrassing debacle i have ever witnessed. It was like every has-been, or wanna-be, trying out for one of them "IDOL" shows. It just had the feel and look of a second rate talent quest. You do know that Mr. "charity event? Mmm, i can sell some records" McCartney INSISTED on opening and closing the show, or he wouldnt perform.

Pity he didnt do "Freedom". Hey, no problem, next disaster, he'll write a song about it and rally every one around.

It was shown here only on cable. A very truncated version was shown on a free to air channel, as a fill in until the tennis started. No WHO!!!!! I was pissed. Only 1 song from the major acts shown. I might add, nothing from Philly, except Australia's own Keith Urban. The whole thing just smacked of bullshit.

And now what?? Now that the celebs are quaffing Quaill eggs and Cognac and slapping themselves on the back - what the fuck now? As Noel Gallagher said: "Some geezer from G8 is gonna see "Sweet dreams are made of this" and go "Yeah, she might be onto to something here".

The whole thing was stale. The staging pathetic. The idea misleading and juvenile. Lots of people got sucked in, good on them. The sheep.

Still, made a lot of multi-millionaires happy, and ensure some middle-class guilt had vanished for the day.

And, tomorrow, how many will say "We made a difference!"

Or, more rightly go "I saw this chick with great tits", or "Sting was good, wasnt he?"

Or, "Man, i was sooooooo wasted!"

Or, "Geldof eh? I must buy his back catalogue".

The Stones lost nothing not being there. In 1985, sure, they should have. No doubt. But this one was very lame, very naive, very passe and very...anti-climactic.

Still, the usual charity-cum-publicity sluts got their heads on the telly.

Now, just wait 20 more years, and Geldof's kids can run the next one.

And whats the bet McCartney closes with Hey fucking Jude again.

P.S. Charity related news! Millions upon millions of dollars have "vanished" from the Tsunami appeal (Aussies raised over $100,000,0000.

Wonder if one of the local Mayors or Police chiefs from Aceh (where the Tsunami hit hardest) was in Hyde Park today? He might have scored a helicopter ride courtesy of Kofi Annan's crooked son!

July 3rd, 2005 11:13 AM
Moonisup I agree with Gazza here,
I understand your point corgi, but the masses think it was a succes, and therefor a great chance for the stones, as gary pointed out
July 3rd, 2005 11:22 AM
jb Compelling arguments Gazza...have to weigh the pros/cons...the exposure to a new generation did hit home...
July 3rd, 2005 11:25 AM
corgi37 A great chance for the Stones to do what exactly? Further their career? I'd love to meet a kid under 20 who is going to rush out and buy "Boomtown Rats greatest hits".

Tell me, when is Geldof and Midge Ure gonna play Madison Square Garden?

Or the Qwest Centre, for that matter.

Well, anyway, now Africa is saved, Geldof can keep his head on camera by being on PARKINSON for the next 5 years.

You all know he 1/2 owns the rights to the "Survivor" shows, dont ya's? Not many series filmed in Africa though. Could have helped the local economies.

Then again, no tropical islands in Africa, hence, no scantily clad Playboy models.

Yes, he and Bono will be toasting their success tonight.

While every delegate at G8 has 3 Asian hookers in their bed, with ping-pong balls flying in all directions, while eating caviar from the navels of 12 year old boys and lighting cigars with $100 bills. Or, 100 Euros, or whatever the fuck the currency is now. Oh, its still pounds. Ok, lighting their cigars with 100 pound notes while quaffing martinis made by 9 year old Sri Lankan girls they bought duty free on the stop-over to London.
July 3rd, 2005 11:35 AM
jb
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
A great chance for the Stones to do what exactly? Further their career? I'd love to meet a kid under 20 who is going to rush out and buy "Boomtown Rats greatest hits".

Tell me, when is Geldof and Midge Ure gonna play Madison Square Garden?

Or the Qwest Centre, for that matter.

Well, anyway, now Africa is saved, Geldof can keep his head on camera by being on PARKINSON for the next 5 years.

You all know he 1/2 owns the rights to the "Survivor" shows, dont ya's? Not many series filmed in Africa though. Could have helped the local economies.

Then again, no tropical islands in Africa, hence, no scantily clad Playboy models.

Yes, he and Bono will be toasting their success tonight.

While every delegate at G8 has 3 Asian hookers in their bed, with ping-pong balls flying in all directions, while eating caviar from the navels of 12 year old boys and lighting cigars with $100 bills. Or, 100 Euros, or whatever the fuck the currency is now. Oh, its still pounds. Ok, lighting their cigars with 100 pound notes while quaffing martinis made by 9 year old Sri Lankan girls they bought duty free on the stop-over to London.

You are truly inspired today!!!! Lomng live King Corgi....the Asian hookers are masters at the ben-way ball techniques and string jobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
July 3rd, 2005 11:49 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
jb wrote:
....the Asian hookers are masters at the ben-way ball techniques and string jobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought is 'ben-WAH' balls my esteemed brother 'Cane of the Bar?
July 3rd, 2005 11:56 AM
T&A no fan base under 35? Hmmm. I know LOTS of people...including a new breed between 15-20 that loves the Stones and will be seeing for the first time on the road this tour. Can't agree with you on that count, Gazza...
July 3rd, 2005 12:01 PM
jb
quote:
T&A wrote:
no fan base under 35? Hmmm. I know LOTS of people...including a new breed between 15-20 that loves the Stones and will be seeing for the first time on the road this tour. Can't agree with you on that count, Gazza...

They are hated by those under 30.........
July 3rd, 2005 12:01 PM
jb
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

I thought is 'ben-WAH' balls my esteemed brother 'Cane of the Bar?

Correct Sir!!!!
July 3rd, 2005 12:08 PM
JaggerLips
quote:
jb wrote:
They are hated by those under 30.........

That's a generalisation I am 22!!!! Maybe I am the exception to the rule?

I think people are all worked up with U2 and Paul McCartney, maybe because they are easily accessible?
U2 make it their point to get as much publicity as possible. The Stones never care for what their image is to the public, they still have a fanbase and younger people around my generation are going to their concerts. The first and only time I've seen them on the Licks Tour at Manchester UK there were quite a few people around my age all psyched and excited about seeing the Stones, like myself many of them will have been experiencing their first Stones' concert.
I noticed a couple of people in their 50s that just sat through the entire concert! I couldn't believe it!! What a waste of two tickets!
July 3rd, 2005 12:12 PM
jb
quote:
JaggerLips wrote:

That's a generalisation I am 22!!!! Maybe I am the exception to the rule?

I think people are all worked up with U2 and Paul McCartney, maybe because they are easily accessible?
U2 make it their point to get as much publicity as possible. The Stones never care for what their image is to the public, they still have a fanbase and younger people around my generation are going to their concerts. The first and only time I've seen them on the Licks Tour at Manchester UK there were quite a few people around my age all psyched and excited about seeing the Stones, like myself many of them will have been experiencing their first Stones' concert.
I noticed a couple of people in their 50s that just sat through the entire concert! I couldn't believe it!! What a waste of two tickets!

You are a rare exception..particularly in England where record sales, polls and public perception alwasy rank the Stones low. I know(Gazza) that they sold two Stadium shows out...but 90k people don't make for a huge fan base..plus, many simply went , as they do here, for the event. The stones made a point to go for the $$$ at the expense of their fan base and creativiyt...and if I was worth what they were, I guess I wouldn't care to much about any legscy.
July 3rd, 2005 01:15 PM
sirmoonie If any of these alleged "celebrities" really cared, they would be in Aruba looking for that missing girl. That seems to be the focus, but these Hollywood types are so out of touch with the mainstream.
July 3rd, 2005 01:33 PM
texile to increase the fanbase gazza? you have a point, but the stones have proven once again, as jb, corgi and glencar stated so eloquently, that they are singular.....
they don't play to the masses of bad taste and transient motivations; i was praying they would ignore the hype and misguided bullshit of live 8;
just think, every benefit - from bangladesh to live aid to farm aid - has been under fire for some corruption or other...
the stones earthquake benenfit in 73 (granted, smaller in scope) was, by all accounts, a success;
taking part in hastily organized and thought-out spectacles is not worth all the exposure in the end -
watching this phenomenon of egoinfested "compassion" - i'm proud to be a stones fan.
of course, we could question thier own motives all we want but....the stones don't do anything for anyone else, but sometimes that's a smart thing.
July 3rd, 2005 02:14 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
texile wrote:
to increase the fanbase gazza? you have a point, but the stones have proven once again, as jb, corgi and glencar stated so eloquently, that they are singular.....
they don't play to the masses of bad taste and transient motivations; i was praying they would ignore the hype and misguided bullshit of live 8;
just think, every benefit - from bangladesh to live aid to farm aid - has been under fire for some corruption or other...
the stones earthquake benenfit in 73 (granted, smaller in scope) was, by all accounts, a success;
taking part in hastily organized and thought-out spectacles is not worth all the exposure in the end -
watching this phenomenon of egoinfested "compassion" - i'm proud to be a stones fan.
of course, we could question thier own motives all we want but....the stones don't do anything for anyone else, but sometimes that's a smart thing.

Well said ! The "Oprah mentality" has become pervasive with musicians, now joining in with self-important celebrities. I go to concerts to enjoy the great music. I don't want to be told who I should vote for, what causes I should support. You can tell me in your music, Bono, Macca, or Bruce Springstein, and if I like the song, I'll buy it!
July 3rd, 2005 03:18 PM
glencar While Gazza makes some good points, corgi is all over it! Game to corgi. This time...
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)