ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Longleat House, Warminster - August 2, 1964
The only open-air concert in the whole year

Photo by Vic Crawshaw
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN MACLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bitter Sweet Symphony Return to archive
07-06-02 06:32 PM
sarah I was just wondering what everyone might have thought about The Verve and their version of the song Bitter Sweet Symphony and then the obvious liking of the Stones by the Band, very much Mick Jagger from what I remember.
07-06-02 06:50 PM
Gazza The Verve were a pretty good band,I thought! Liked Richard Ashcroft's solo album too!

"Bittersweet Symphony" despite what it says on the songwriting credits isnt a Stones cover,Sarah - its an original Verve song. However the orchestral arrangement is a sample of the Andrew Oldham Orchestra's arrangement of the Stones' song "The Last Time" (an arrangement which I'd imagine about 99% of Stones fans had never previously heard!!) and because of some complicated legal wrangling over copyright the Verve were obliged to sign over the credits.

Its quite ironic that Jagger and Richards got the credits because even though "The Last Time" was their composition they had absolutely nothing to do with the arrangement of the song which The Verve actually sampled!
07-06-02 08:04 PM
Mathijs As what I undstand the credits for the Verve's Bittersweet Symphony never went to Jagger/Richards, but to ABKCO and Andrew Oldham, as the sample was taken off the London Orchestra album, of which Oldham and ABKCO have the rights to. If you use a sample of a certain song you don't have to pay credit to the author, but to the person or company who's holdong the releasing credits. For example, Puff Daddy never paid credits to Sting for using Every Breath You Take, but he had to pay the record company.

Mathijs
07-06-02 08:32 PM
stonedinaustralia mathjis

wasn't it our friend mr.klein as opposed to andreww loog oldham

the ironinc thing is that while the last time is known as a jagger/richard it is widely acknowledged that they lifted the idea from a staples singers tune the name of which escapes me at the moment

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road