ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

Longleat House, Warminster - August 2, 1964
The only open-air concert in the whole year

Photo by Vic Crawshaw
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN MACLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jim Morrison and Pete Townshend on Brian Jones Return to archive
07-03-02 09:58 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Both passed yesterday, in 1969 and 1971 respectively, under yet unknown circumstances, and both are commemorated on July 3rd instead of the 2nd

ODE TO L.A. WHILE THINKING OF BRIAN JONES, DECEASED

by Jim Morrison

I'm a resident of a city
They've just picked me to play
the Prince of Denmark

Poor Ophelia

All those ghosts he never saw
Floating to doom
On an iron candle

Come back, brave warrior
Do the dive
On another channel

Hot buttered pool
Where's Marrakesh
Under the falls
the wild storm
where savages fell out
in late afternoon
monsters of rhythm

You've left your
Nothing
to compete w/
Silence

I hope you went out
Smiling
Like a child
Into the cool remnant
of a dream

The angel man
w/Serpents competing
for his palms
& fingers
Finally claimed
This benevolent
Soul

Ophelia

Leaves, sodden
in silk

Chlorine
dream
mad stifled
Witness

The diving board, the plunge
The pool

You were a fighter
a damask musky muse

You were the bleached
Sun
for TV afternoon

horned-toads
maverick of a yellow spot

Look now to where it's got
You

in meat heaven
w/the cannibals
& jews

The gardener
Found
The body, rampant, Floating

Lucky Stiff
What is this green pale stuff
You're made of

Poke holes in the goddess
Skin

Will he Stink
Carried heavenward
Thru the halls
of music

No chance.

Requiem for a heavy
That smile
That porky satyr's
leer
has leaped upward

into the loam

Copyright � 1988 by Wilderness Publications
Photo by Henry Diltz

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
07-03-02 02:20 PM
Miss U. Thx, Voodoo!

Brian is missed greatly. His spirit lives on.
07-03-02 04:35 PM
Honky Tonk Man Ahh, Jimbo, Americas once finest poet and spokesman

"Mother, i want to fuck you",........ or errrr, no thanks
07-03-02 04:43 PM
Miss U. Isn't it just amazing how people how a tendency to pick out one line or one incident that is the exception to the rule and use it as a generalized statement.

Maybe one day you'll understand. Or not.
07-03-02 05:02 PM
Honky Tonk Man Miss U, i will have you know i like Jim Morrison and the Doors as a group. That is one line from their epic "The End" Though you may or not know, but Robby Kreiger infact wrote two of their best known songs. "Light My Fire" and "Love Me Two Times" In fact, they are their two best songs.

Miss U, i just happen to think that, thatsa a fantastic line and its just so typical of Morrison. I think he did it just to be controversial. To much shit is talked about Jim, he was just a good songwriter, singer and entertainer.

I love U

Alex
07-03-02 05:06 PM
Miss U. Thx Alex...Mojo did indeed love controversy and unlike Brian he had a thicker skin to go with it.

I love U 2.
07-03-02 05:19 PM
Honky Tonk Man Thanks Miss U, unless Im very mistaken and your "I Love U 2" was directed at Bono and co, rather then little, poor feeble Alex.

We All Love Each Other

Alex
07-03-02 09:07 PM
beer they were both found dead in water at the age of 27 on the same day, two years apart.

strange
07-03-02 09:13 PM
Sir Stonesalot People are strange.
07-03-02 10:33 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
"Mother, i want to fuck you",........ or errrr, no thanks

Yes, that was the original lyrics and I love this scene in the Movie.

But if you want to listen Jim really nasty just check "Morrison Lament" in the sessions (not sessions, a little improvised Jam) he did with Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Winter, Buddy Miles, Randy Hobbs, and Randy Z at the scene club in NYC 1968

Those lyrics make see Cocksucker Blues as a Church song!
07-03-02 10:58 PM
BILL PERKS CAN ANYONE POST PETE TOWNSHEND'S POEM TO BRIAN AFTER HE DIED?
07-03-02 11:22 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I posted this a long time ago, is in the archives, not a poem, but a great reading!

�A friend of mine�

Pete Townshend reflects on the Brian Jones he knew
and pop's myth of romantic self-destruction.

Brian Jones was a friend of mine in the early Who years. We first met the Stones when we were still called The Detours, before Keith Moon joined the band. I spoke about Mick Jagger's effect on me in a VH1 plug-clip recently; he was quite beautiful and erotic, even to men I think.

Brian by contrast looked like a pretty sheepdog. His stage movements were confined to an urgent head-thrust like a strutting cockerel. But the Mod girls in the audience (pretending to like short-haired Mod style, but really wanting teady-bears in bed) screamed more at him than Mick.

He played very well I thought, and played harmonica, too, in a slightly more country style than Mick. On The Last Time it was his guitar that repeated the intoxicating riff-catch. He was musical, almost musicologist
in nature and loved to talk about music.

We hung out a lot from about 1964 to 1966. Part of the time he was seeing Anita Pallenburg. She was a stunning creature. I mean literally stunning. It was quite hard to maintain one's gaze. One time in Paris

I remember thay took some drug and were so sexually stimulated they could hardly wait for me to leave the room before starting to shag.

I felt Brian was living on a higher planet of decadence than anyone

I would ever meet.

Brian and I used too go to a club called Scotch Of St. James.

Everyone hung out there. We were together when we first heard I Got

You Babe.Brian was really excited and enthused by it. He loved pop music as well as R&B; that appealed to me. I hated snobbery, even though I'm sad to say I later became rather snobbish about pop versus rock.

Alongside the gems there was so much utter shit in the charts at the time, I wanted to make a distinction. We sat together there to watch Stevie Wonder's first UK show. Stevie was so excited he fell off the stage. Brian never offered me drugs. I didn't use them and he didn't press me. I was not seeing my girlfriend much at the time. Had I been, he may have hit on her and I would hate him, but in fact he was always very kind to me. Very encouraging of my writing. He loved my first Who song, Can't Explain.

When we palyed The Rolling Stones' Rock And Roll Circus I was very upset about Brian's condition. I was upset about Keith Richards' green complexion, too, but he seemed in good spirits. Brian was defeated. I took Mick and Keith aside and they were quite frank about it all, they said Brian had ceased to function, they were afraid he would slip away. They certainly were not hard-nosed about him. But they were determined not to let him drag them down, that was clear. Brian certainly sliped away that evening. He died soon after.

I was melodramatically upset when he died. He was the first friend of mine that had ever died. He was the first person I knew well in my business that died. It seemed to me to be a portent and thus it proved to be. I wrote a really crap song for him, Normal Day for Brian. He deserved better and one day he will get it.

I've become angry about a business in which people (especially the press) sneer is someone tries to save their skin by going into rehab after raising hell. This week my friend Oliver Reed died of raising hell.

We applaud, we wait, then we nod sagly when they burn out.
t's despicable. Oliver Reed should have been sacked every time he drank on the film set. Brian should have been sectioned into a mental hospital like a street drunk, not allowed to flounder about in a heated swiming pool taking fucking downers. If I'm honest, I suppose I was one of the friends who should have called the ambulance.

Keith Moon? Well I tried. I thought it would be best to get him back to London after his two-year binge in California and rented for him the London apartment in which he almost immediately died.

I had introduced him to Meg Patterson who later helped me.
I had found a friend of my father's from AA who watched Keith for a week and pronounced it was me who had the problem! So I know it isn't always possible to savve the skin of someone whose number is up.

But let no one pretend it's part of the pop myth. I told Jim Morrison he was turning into a fat drunk in 1971. I could tell from his stunned expression that until then no-one had indicated they might even care.

A little while before he died Jimi Hendrix told me he owed me a lot. (He meant with respect to the guidence I gave him on what amplifiers to use when he first came to London, but perhaps too for my unadulterated support.)

These people were my friends. Brian was a pleasant and quite well-educated fellow. Really.

Copyright: Eel Pie Publishing.

07-04-02 12:44 AM
Martha Now I understand when Pete said:

"They're YOUR fuckin rock icons...but they're My F**CKING friends"!

Great read thanks Voodoo!
07-04-02 07:20 AM
Cant Catch Me Right on, Pete! Now I know how much Brian and Jim Morrison had in common upon their deaths, other than sharing the same last day of life, one year apart.

They were both bloated, incoherent, out-of-touch slobs who'd outlived their usefulness, made mockeries of their earlier achievements and become stewed in their bitterness while hastening their mental infirmities.
07-04-02 07:48 AM
beer I dunno.... Brian started the Stones. thats not something that happens everyday! Brian should be applauded. He was incredibly creative, and talented.

-
07-04-02 03:58 PM
Miss U. Yes, he was Beer.

Too bad Pete didn't know Brian better.
07-05-02 02:14 AM
Cant Catch Me In my book, being incredibly talented isn't a free ticket to being a total son of a bitch, although realistically I'm sure it does help quite a bit in getting away with shit.
07-05-02 08:06 PM
Miss U. I guess you should know.
07-07-02 03:33 AM
Cant Catch Me Sure, you can call me a son of a bitch any day, just don't weigh me down with that "incredibly talented" shit, I think I'm too finely wrought and might suffer a breakdown from all the pressure, on top of all the drinking and drugs ... and my poor health, which isn't make any easier by hypochondria ... and the theft of my life's work by my bandmates and the abandonment by my friends ... and ...

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road