ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Gimme another chance please, I can play the drums babies
Đ 1970 Michael Putland with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Supposed New Album info / Listening Parties.......From Ian Return to archive
June 29th, 2005 11:12 PM
IanBillen Here is some info about what took place at the listening parties
Here is some info posted about the content of the London Listening Party

This is from Stonesvikings.com with special thanks to Mickjaggeroo:

"I was unable to get hold of Ove, so I got info from another source due to some detective work who was present, so here it goes:

11 raw mixes out of 18 recorded tracks were played.
With raw mixes it is meant there is some additional mixing to do. It was not said if all 18 tracks would be on the album. If I heard correctly, there might be some more songs recorded.

No Chuck, Darryl on only a few numbers, bass being handled by Mick and Keith. Plenty of harmonica, slide and maracas (spelling?).
No hornsection heard at all, no backupsingers. This might change of course, but letīs hope not.

ONNYA different from the liveversion, itīs said it was not finished when they played it live. Absolutely no material from the 40 LICKS sessions. 2 ballads, one Mick, one Keith, the rest rockers except 1 funky song in the style of Dance.pt1/Miss You.
1 political song, as it seemed aimed at the Bushadministration but donīt take my word for it.

The motto, it was said for these recordingsessions, was that it was to be "A bandrecord, the four of them".
As for the albumtitle, it was said that it might be one of those circulated on the net, then it might not be, so no answer to that question really.

No Stone present, as they all seem to be in the US right now. A bandrepresentative was MC at the listening party. All participants had to sign a contract of secrecy.

I hope to get some additional info, but right now, all participants are bound by their contract, and no Ove in sight, but he would not be able to tell me more at this point, .

As for the releasedate first half of September still stands until further notice.

As always, if you like to post this elsewere, donīt forget to link to stonesvikings.com"

Here is some info coming out of The LA listening party:

This is from
om StonesSoCal on another messageboard

"was listening to the radio here in San Diego (102.1 KPRI), and the DJ, who had been invited to some release party in LA, said the tracks he heard from the album are great. He basically talked about how "strong" the band sounds and how the Stones have gone back to their "roots" to record an album they were born to record. My gut tells me we're going to get a great album- hopefully the rebirth of hard stones music!!

It doesn't get much better than this!!!! September seems like a long way off- I suppose waiting is half the fun, but not when we've waited for 8 years!!! The way it is building up, I'm sure it'll be well worth the wait"

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
June 30th, 2005 12:03 AM
Bruno Stone THIS GOTTA BE TRUE!!!!

No sidemen, no horns, no backups..... is it a dream?
June 30th, 2005 02:49 AM
Poplar
god damn - just release the son of a bitch!
June 30th, 2005 05:08 AM
FotiniD We may be in for a treat or it's simply just another case of hype - however, I do believe in a sort of karmic row of events that can indeed lead us to a truly good album

What I'm trying to say is that apart from the classic era, the Stones have yet to come back with an album that fans will go crazy and critics will rave about. Not that this is mandatory or that it always happens, but it is a noticeable trend for most bands / artists their age.

All and all, it's been eight years. They've got nothing to prove, but this could be the big chance to show they still got it.

Just think about it - it'll be here before winter!
June 30th, 2005 06:21 AM
corgi37 No sidemen is cool, but dont think for a moment they wont be added in. They were "rough mixes" after all.
June 30th, 2005 06:35 AM
Poplar
damn, knew it sounded too good.
June 30th, 2005 07:00 AM
Nellcote Someone once sang,
"The waiting is the hardest part"
June 30th, 2005 07:04 AM
luxury1 Did you see?? DId you see it there in black and white -well, yellow and black, I suppose--"lots of maraccas!!" I knew it. Mick will be passin those babies to me....
June 30th, 2005 07:05 AM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
No sidemen is cool, but dont think for a moment they wont be added in. They were "rough mixes" after all.

Rough mixes isnt the same as basic tracks, though - although I agree with what youre saying. I cant imagine we'd get an album with just the four band members (plus Darryl occasionally) playing on it.

Cant understand the logic of playing tracks to people that arent finished, however.
June 30th, 2005 08:20 AM
Bitch If I remember correctly KEITH said that the new album was recorded in MICK's house in France with mostly just the two of them. That means there were not alot of other musicians present during the recordings. Unless they do alot of studio editing, this could be pure. GREAT!!!
June 30th, 2005 08:24 AM
gimmekeef Perhaps Gazza the reason they played the rough mixes was to gauge the response.If it was "wow this is great just raw Stones"....then maybe the add ins of the extras will be minimum.If the response was not postive they still had time to change and add to the mix...??
June 30th, 2005 08:45 AM
luxury1 Wasnt there some deadline, days ago, to have the mixing completed?? The boys will never change......
June 30th, 2005 10:22 AM
trevcourt The "sounds great" and "back to the roots" comments have come out every time since steel wheels. I remember similar advance news from listening parties for BTB that said it was the best album the band had released in years. And, of course, with the exception of about 2 tracks, it sucks, at least by Stones standards.

That said, I'm hopeful that this thing is good, I'm just not putting any stock in the leaks from these listening parties.
June 30th, 2005 11:01 AM
jpenn11
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Cant understand the logic of playing tracks to people that arent finished, however.

Take away the drinks and "listening party" is just a "focus group"
June 30th, 2005 11:31 AM
glencar I smell Undercover Part Deux!
June 30th, 2005 02:28 PM
J.J.Flash "I am now so excited that I am typing this with my own erect nipples"

Lil' Frisky!
June 30th, 2005 02:31 PM
J.J.Flash "This has gotta be something Ronnie!"
June 30th, 2005 09:52 PM
Soldatti Can't wait.
July 2nd, 2005 03:21 AM
Child of the Moon Well, any news is good news, but this is certainly some of the best news in a while! I hope all this holds up... we might have the makings a of a great record here.
July 2nd, 2005 08:01 AM
Bob Tamp Stones Viking has added some other song titles

She Saw me coming
ONNYA
Neocom
This house is empty without you( keith ballad)
Walking alone in the rain( mick ballad)
You drive too fast

July 2nd, 2005 01:11 PM
glencar "Neocon"? Must be the new political song. Oh boy!
July 2nd, 2005 07:32 PM
gotdablouse
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
What I'm trying to say is that apart from the classic era, the Stones have yet to come back with an album that fans will go crazy and critics will rave about. Not that this is mandatory or that it always happens, but it is a noticeable trend for most bands / artists their age.

I don't see how this could happen, especially after hearing ONNYA at the tour announcement. They can't do a really bad album and never have, in fact it's rare for a major act to ever do a "bad album", but it's really unlikely they can come up with anything of spectacular interest musically or lyrically. They've given up on that of ambition since, hum...Exile possibly, with the odd sparkely here and there, SG, a couple of songs on B2B and SW. We'll all be excited when hearing the album for the first time and will probably like it, but whether it can find its place next to the magic 4 of 68/72 is really most unlikely.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)