ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Fourchette at Pocé sur Cisse
© Gérard Proust from Le Magazine de la Touraine

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: IMO best DVD's of each tour, what do you think? Return to archive
2nd July 2004 08:01 PM
masoudi Hi all

Im trying to compile a list of the best quality DVD's of each tour.

So far I have the following idea that these are but please fill in the blanks or offer your suggestion

The 60s
Gimme Shelter
Stones in the Park

72 tour
Ladies and Gentleman 4 reel in 5.1

73 tour
Marquee/Montreaux rumble

75 tour
Aux Abbotoirs
LA 75

78 tour
Fortworth

81 tour
LSNT
Hampton 81

Steel Wheels
Atlantic City
Tokyo 90

Voodoo Lounge
New Jersey
Tokyo 95

Babylon
Complete Bremen
St Louis
Official release

No Security
Hartford

Licks
Four Flicks
Bangalore
Palais Royale

Let me know your ideas and what you think should be added to each tour as far as quality releases. Im trying to get the best shows from each tour and as the later tours have many more shows in great quality especially Voodoo and Bridges it is hard to now which are the best ones to look out for. Some of you may be fans of the private cam dvd's but I find them hard to watch (however that is all you can get sometimes so I shouldn't complain. There are alot of Proshot dvd's out there so i look forward to hearing alot of opinions.

Cheers, Brendon
2nd July 2004 08:43 PM
Gazza 72 tour
Ladies and Gentleman 4 reel in 5.1

73 tour
Marquee/Montreaux rumble

Marquee is from 1971. The Montreux rehearsals are May 1972. Theres no decent live footage from 1973.

75 tour
Aux Abbotoirs
LA 75

Abattoirs is '76. Theres a great 2-DVD set which included the 3 parts of the French TV broadcast (taken from 3 shows) as well as the complete pro shot from the 6.6.76 show. Then there is the one hour pro shot of Knebworth which is the best of all from that and the 75 tour. LA is easily the best from '75.

>78 tour
Fortworth

This tour isnt well represented and the two films from the 78 tour (Fort worth and new orleans) are hard to find in good quality. Fort worth is nicely filmed as its a pro shot filmed very close, but its only about 30 mins. Dont forget Sat Night Live and the rehearsals plus a nice 4- song raw news film shot for US TV news (NBC I think) from Chicago.

>81 tour
LSNT
Hampton 81

If you can get them in good quality, theres a good one from Houston and from Seattle. Hampton is THE one to get from '81 though. From 1982, theres a fabulous pro shot of the last 50 minutes from Wembley 26/6/82. Make sure you get that one.

>Steel Wheels
Atlantic City
Tokyo 90

Tokyo 26.2.90 is the best one of the tour and maybe the best Stones stadium show ever. Most copies however contain the rebroadcast which has a couple of songs edited out, including an amazing "Sympathy for the Devil". There is also a terrific pro shot of the 24.2.90. And dont forget Barcelona 14.6.90 which was broadcast in Europe (although only 100 mins or so) plus "At The Max" (although you cant do this film justice without the Imax screen). Theres also several high quality pro shots from the US tour, especially Dallas 11.11.99 and a 90 min pro shot for Toronto 3.9.89 from a MTV feed only part of which was screened

>Voodoo Lounge
New Jersey
Tokyo 95

Tokyo is visually a well filmed broadcast but its not a good performance. Rio is much better as is Buenos Aires, Miami etc. dont forget the marvellous "Stripped" TV special. The New jersey official release is ok, but at 85 mins not as essential as the others. Lots of good pro shots from the US tour including San Diego 17.10.94 and oakland from 31.10.94

>Babylon
Complete Bremen
St Louis
Official release

Dont forget the lovely pro shot from the Double Door club gig in Chicago plus theres lots of pro shot and raw broadcast footage from the opening night in Chicago (23.9.97) plus the final rehearsals from the last couple of days before it. The 3 New York MSG shows from January are all available. Audience footage but well done and recommended. Then theres the Buenos Aires Tv broadcast 30.3.98. Superlatives dont do it justice. Great performance and visually amazing, with the wildest crowd you've ever seen. Rio from 12 days later is another excellent live broadcast. Theres also a nice broadcast from Chorzow, Poland which was only shown on Polish TV. A new DVD pro shot has just circulated of istanbul but I havent seen it yet.

>No Security
Hartford

Shepherds Bush from the European tour. A one camera audience shot but still nice and close!

Licks
Four Flicks
Bangalore
Palais Royale

Theres a lotof good audience films from this tour. Philadelphia FUC Arena is a pretty good one.

[Edited by Gazza]
2nd July 2004 09:12 PM
masoudi Thanks gazza

I have a few of those you have mentioned so now i have the task of trying to find copies of many of the others. Ive hunted down a few sites which are very expensive so am hoping if there is anyone who can trade or B and P will get in touch. I have a pretty good list but as I have the standard shows its hard to find a trading partner. let me know if there is anyone who is keen to help

Brendon
2nd July 2004 11:11 PM
Gazza I should have added one that isnt technically a Stones video but is an essential nonetheless and thats the pro-shot of the Checkerboard Lounge club show in Chicago, 22.11.81 on which Mick, Keith and Ronnie jam with Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, Junior Wells etc.

No collection is complete without that one
2nd July 2004 11:26 PM
beer I got a excellent quality DVD of 'Charlie is my Darilng', the Documentary of the '65 tour in Ireland. It's pretty entertaining to seee the Brian Jones interview, plus Mick and Keith drunk in a bar, playin like Elvis, with Keef on piano and Jagger singin. Good footage of the early days.
2nd July 2004 11:33 PM
kahoosier Gazza, evrything I read about New Orleans '78 says it is not hard, but impossible to find in good quality. I have the Fort Worth, and even that is questionable. You say there is good qaulity New Orleans, can you give us more info?

BTW watched my Double Door just last night again, great show (except for ASMB, eeeks what is that about?). Maybe the last time Ronnie wwas turned up in the mix enough to actually hear him.
3rd July 2004 06:56 AM
Jumping Jack Here are a few MUST HAVES to start with:

“On DVD 1964-1969” (1 DVD) A
64 “TAMI Show” (1 DVD) A
64-69 “RS Ultimate TV Masters” (1 DVD) A+
64-69 “Ed Sullivan Shows” (1 DVD) A+
68 “Rock and Roll Circus” (1 DVD) A+
68 “Sympathy For The Devil” (1 DVD) A-
69 “In The Park” Hyde Park (1 DVD) A+
69 “Gimme Shelter” Criterion (1 DVD) A+
71 “Marque/Montreux Rumble” 4-Reels 72 Rehearsals, 71 Marquee, D. Cavett (1 DVD) A
“The BBC Vaults 72-79” (great compilation of BBC TV material) (2 DVDs) A
72 “CS Blues” (1 DVD) A-
72 “Ladies and Gentlemen” Dolby 5.1 Remaster 4 Reels (1 DVD) A+
73 “In Australia ’73 ’95 ‘03” Interviews, live Footage, Promos, Clips (1 DVD) A PAL
75 “LA Blues” Pro Shot (best version available) (1 DVD) B+
76 Knebworth Extended Pro Shot (1 DVD) A- PAL
76 “Love You Live” Aux Abattoirs Paris 6-6-76 complete 6-7-76 incomplete D-Stone (2 DVDs) A-
76 “Les Rolling Stones Aux Abattoirs” June 76 D-Stone Pro Shot (1 DVD) A-
78 “Fort Worth (Deluxe Edition) Jointrip 6 songs + interviews (1 DVD) A-
78 “Saturday Night Live Complete” by Jointrip (1 DVD) A
81 Checkerboard Lounge - 1 disk with Mickboy Soundtrack ( 3 DVDs) B+
81 Seattle 10/15 PPV sound drop Star Star & Beast (2 DVD) A-
81 “Live At The Hampton Coliseum” Joint Trip 24-Bit Sound (2 DVDs) A
81 “Let’s Spend The Night Together” (1 DVD) A+
81 “Rocks Off” (same as LSTNT, extra When the Whip Comes Down) (1 DVD) A+
82 “She’s So Cool” German & BBC TV broadcasts and Wembley 82 Part (1 DVD) A-
89 “In Morocco 89” also Snap, Crackle Stones from 60s (1 DVD) A-
89 Toronto 9/3 Pro Shot (Play With Fire, One Hit To The Body)(‘94 60 Mins) (1 DVD) A-
89 Atlantic City “Terrifying” 12/19 PPV (2 DVD) A
90 Tokyo 2/26 “Cold Steel Blue” Pro Shot (1 DVD) A-
90 Barcelona 6/14 Upgraded Pro Shot (1 DVD) A PAL (best version)
94 “Voodoo Lounge Video Sampler” Joint Trip(1 DVD) A
94 Meadowlands “Tour Video” 8/19 (1 DVD) A+
94 New Jersey 8/14 “Official Tour Video” Joint Trip version Pro Shot (1 DVD) A+
94 Oakland “Voodoo at Halloween” 10/31 Pro Shot menu(2 DVDs) A
94 Miami “Hoodoo U Voodoo” 11/25 Pro Shot (2 DVDs) A+
95 Rio DeJaneiro 2/4 Pro-Shot (2 DVD) A-
95 Buenos Aires 2/16 Pro Shot (2 DVD) A
95 Johannesburg, Ellis Park 2/25 Pro Shot (2 DVDs) A PAL
95 Tokyo “Nippon Voodoo” 3/12 Pro-Shot w/ menu (1 DVD) A+
95 Brixton Academy D-Stone 7/19 Audience Shot (2 DVD) B+
95 “Stripped” By Joint Trip (1 DVD) A+
97 “Double Door” 9/18 (1 DVD) A-
97 Chicago “Da Stones” 9/23 Pro Shot (1 DVD) A
97 NJ Giants 10/16 “Roadie Cam-Version 1” Lots of backstage shots (1 DVD) B+
97 “MTV Ten Spot” 10/25 (1 DVD) A+
97 St. Louis PPV 12/12 Pro Shot w/ menu (2 DVDs) A+
98 “Bridges to Argentina” 3/30 Pro Shot(2 DVDs) A
98 Rio 4/11 Pro Shot (1 DVD) A-
98 Chorzow 8/14 Pro-Shot (1 DVD) A
98 “Bridges Over Bremen” 9/2 Jointrip - Pro Shot (1 DVD) A
98 Istanbul 9/19 Pro Shot (1 DVD ) A- PAL
99 Hartford 3/28 & 3/29 Audience Shot (best 99 video) (1 DVD) A-
02 “Let It Bleed” French Documentary (1 DVD) A
02 Palais Royale 8/16 Pro-Shot (1 DVD) A-
02 Veteran’s Stadium 9/18 (great video, audience audio) Pro-Shot (1 DVD) A-
02 First Union Center 9/20 Audience Shot (1 DVD) A
03 MSG 1/16 Pro Shot (1 DVD) A-
03 MSG HBO 1/18 - Emmy Award Edition - Jointrip version (2 DVDs) A
03 Budokan 3/10 Audience Shot (1 DVD) A-
03 Tokyo Dome 3/15 Audience Shot (2 DVDs) A-
03 Bangalore PPV Pro-Shot (1 DVD) A+
03 Toronto 7/30 “SARS Concert” (2 DVDs) A

I sent a watchable copy og NO 78 to cyhmk who may tree it on Shidoobbe.
3rd July 2004 08:59 AM
Gazza >Gazza, evrything I read about New Orleans '78 says it is not hard, but impossible to find in good quality. I have the Fort Worth, and even that is questionable. You say there is good qaulity New Orleans, can you give us more info?

No Steve, I didnt say that. Well,technically speaking someone must have a low gen copy of it but as I said, it seems very hard to find in good quality, as youve said. I've never even seen a video list with anything better than a 4th/5th gen copy of it