ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Fourchette at Pocé sur Cisse
© Gérard Proust from Le Magazine de la Touraine

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Lost Frank Zappa Unearthed (NSC) Return to archive
30th June 2004 07:20 PM
Monkey Woman Have you seen this Gerardo?

Lost Frank Zappa Unearthed

"Joe's Corsage" begins a deluge of previously unreleased recordings

Joe's Corsage, the first in a series of unreleased Frank Zappa recordings, is available at zappa.com. The album consists of demos from 1965 -- the year before Zappa's Mothers of Invention released their debut album, Freak Out! -- with bits of interviews interspersed throughout.
"We wanted to stay as close to the bone as we could," says Gail Zappa, Frank's widow. "Frank Zappa was a composer, and he had a bad habit, which was writing music. To support that habit, he became a bandleader and began playing other things that he liked to hear in different context, and you can hear that throughout his music."

Joe's Corsage (the title a play on Zappa's 1979 multi-part concept album, Joe's Garage) is the beginning of an avalanche of unreleased material, which will include complete albums like the guitar-solo-based Trance-fusion and the synth-heavy Dance Me This, as well as live recordings and "other little nuggets the fans know about and have been waiting for." Zappa died of cancer in 1993.

"We're sitting on forty album projects in various stages of completion," says Gail Zappa, who adds that the material was put on ice due to a ten-year deal with Rykodisc. "That period ends in October, so we'll open the doors to the vault."

COLIN DEVENISH
(Posted Jun 30, 2004)

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story?id=6217364&pageid=rs.Home&pageregion=single1
30th June 2004 10:25 PM
Water Dragon M.W., Thanks for that information..."anyway the wind blows will be fine with me." Great News for those of us who have been waiting a long time! Thanks again!
30th June 2004 10:33 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl MW... this good news and totally new for me

BTW, who the fuck is Frank Zappa

1st July 2004 12:11 AM
Water Dragon "Call any vegetable, and the answer is sure; the vegetable will respond to you. The pumpkin is breathing hard. Rutabaga, rutabaga, rutabag."
1st July 2004 12:11 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Any downers?
1st July 2004 12:34 AM
Water Dragon My esteemed friend...are you perhaps a fan of Root Boy Slim and the Sex Change Band? Root was a huge fan of 714's - May he rest in peace. I miss him, but not as much as Frank or Brian.
1st July 2004 12:51 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl LOL what a name!
1st July 2004 12:51 AM
MarthaMyDear I want to see the frickin' GTO's!!! VERY
unfortunately, I heard that one of the women from the GTO's
was homeless... I heard this years ago and I wonder how she's
doing right now (?!?!?!)... I can't remember which one of them
it was, but anyways... There is Gerardo being a freak...
LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!! Another day, another freak of nature on
Rocks Off... lol...... HE!!! HE!!! HE!!!
CEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
racking-up... PEACE!!! LOL!!!!!!! ROCK ON!!!
TAKE CARE!!!

*** Martha ***
1st July 2004 02:27 AM
marko Good news,can´t actually wait for the live ones.......
something from 1970-1978.Well i take anything from that period.
1st July 2004 10:01 AM
Gazza God bless Uncle Francis.

Wasnt he talking about running for President before he was diagnosed with cancer?

Zappa as president. Imagine. I might have emigrated solely on that condition
1st July 2004 10:23 AM
jb Zappa was not really a big Stones fan.
1st July 2004 10:58 AM
Water Dragon
quote:
jb wrote:
Zappa was not really a big Stones fan.

Say whaat?

' remember seeing Brian very drunk at The Speakeasy one night, and telling him I liked the Between The Buttons album,' Frank Zappa once recalled. ' I told him I thought it superior to Sgt. Pepper..whereupon he belched discreetly, and turned around.'

From Brian Jones by Alan Clayson
1st July 2004 10:59 AM
shakedhandswithkeith Thanks MW,

Music is the best,
FZ was the best!

1st July 2004 10:59 AM
jb
quote:
Water Dragon wrote:

Say whaat?

' remember seeing Brian very drunk at The Speakeasy one night, and telling him I liked the Between The Buttons album,' Frank Zappa once recalled. ' I told him I thought it superior to Sgt. Pepper..whereupon he belched discreetly, and turned around.'

From Brian Jones by Alan Clayson

Thanks for the clarification....I thought I heard in his later years he thought they were "sell-outs".
1st July 2004 11:03 AM
glencar Was there any music more boring than Zappa's? No.
1st July 2004 11:10 AM
shakedhandswithkeith
quote:
glencar wrote:
Was there any music more boring than Zappa's? No.

1st July 2004 02:32 PM
Cardinal Fang Wowie Zowie !

I think Gerardo and I already have some of this stuff on boots (?) but I can't wait to get it with better sound, officially !!

For MarthaMyFriend (you like that ?) Yeah, I too heard that it was either Miss Sparky or Miss Sandra was destitute and homeless. Can't remember which so don't quote me on that !! ( <---- I did those just for YOU : - )

For Marko: PM me if you want to set up a trade. Our collections are similar in size. I have lots of Zappa 1970-1978 live. (my favorite period)

For Gazza: Hey !! Yeah, in 1988 Zappa was seriously thinking of running for President. He even commissioned a feasibility study. In 1988 I voted for him anyway as a "write in candidate". (Lots of people did) I knew there was no way Mike Dukakis was going to beat George Bush Sr so I wrote in for St. Francis. I wish I knew the actual number of write in votes he got. It's got to be on the internet somewhere ?

For Josh: Hey ! Zappa WAS a fan of the Stones. Besides that Zappa and Mick slept with MANY of the same girls. lol. Zappa loves the blues too. When he was a teenager that was all he would play. In FACT when he was a teenager he played drums for a blues band where Frank was the only white guy in the band. His bands through out the rest of his life were almost always interracial AND had women in them. Frank was a genius, a true genius in my book and like all genius, misunderstood by the masses.

For Glencar: Zappa has over 70 official albums out and much like the Stones do, Zappa also has certain "periods". I love most, but NOT ALL of his periods. I don't think anybody who has heard EVERY SINGLE period could honestly say Zappa is boring. IMO, anything but.

I Gotta Bail

Later, Cardinal Fang
1st July 2004 03:57 PM
Monkey Woman And then there's the famous quote about going to a Stones concert because he knew he would get a BJ (and I'm not talkin' about Brian here!)
1st July 2004 05:29 PM
Gazza >Thanks for the clarification....I thought I heard in his later years he thought they were "sell-outs".

and the flaw in that argument is what, precisely?
1st July 2004 05:34 PM
MrPleasant Thanks Monkey Woman. Here's more info:

--------------------------------------------------------

Edited By Jonathan Cohen. July 01, 2004, 3:05 PM ET

'Corsage' Inaugurates Zappa Vault Series

The doors to Frank Zappa's vault will be blown wide open via a new series of archival releases under the moniker "Joe's Corsage," a nod to both Zappa's 1979 album "Joe's Garage" and Zappa archivist Joe Travers. A disc bearing that title is now available via the iconoclastic late artist's official Web site and his estate's Vaulternative label, comprising demos and live recordings from the earliest stages of his band the Mothers Of Invention.

"Around Mother's Day, it was the 40th anniversary of the day Frank named the group," his widow Gail Zappa tells Billboard.com. "That was May 10, 1964. It became the other Mother's Day. We thought, 'what can we do?' Then Joe said, 'Hey, listen to this!' It turned into 'Joe's Corsage,' because it's just a little thing only he knew about that he wouldn't normally bring to our attention. This will be the first in a series of piquant little items from the vault that only Joe knows about. There's so many other choices of things Frank set aside for one reason or another. It would otherwise be a long time before we got to them."

Indeed, Gail Zappa estimates there are 40 albums' worth of material that could see the light of day, including complete live concerts. "But 'Joe's Corsage' the series will be separate," she says. "It could be anything, anytime, for no reason at all. We already know what the next one is. I hope it will be available before the summer is out."

After Zappa died in 1993, the estate sold the rights to certain albums in particular formats to Rykodisc. That deal expires in October, potentially foreshadowing Vaulternative's release of alternate album editions. "The stuff in the vault, to me, comprises an equally valuable catalog, maybe even more so, because there's a lot of stuff that is interesting from the standpoint of hearing how the composer operated," Gail Zappa says.

"We have a title called 'Everything Is Healing Nicely,'" she continues. "It's the prequel to [the 1993 orchestral release] 'The Yellow Shark'; the rehearsals and bits and pieces of things that Frank had actually mixed. Obviously he was going to do something with them. The minute we put that out, two weeks later we found a tape of the same material but cut together in a completely different way by Frank. I would like to put that out so you can compare it.

"So really, the focus of this is more actually about the legacy than anything else is. Yes, you have his voice as he intended it on the catalog that Ryko has in release, as long as they preserve it and stop messing around with it. When they start cutting it up, especially the classical pieces, that drives me crazy. Of course they can legally do it, but why?" A Rykodisc spokesperson was unavailable for comment at deadline.

Other Zappa projects in the family pipeline include an edition of the recent "Baby Snakes" DVD with DTS sound and a DVD of the 1971 film "200 Motels," which is said to be the first movie ever shot on video and then transferred to film for theatrical release.

But DVD extras may be lacking, as the original video reels appear to have been destroyed. "It boggles the mind [distributor United Artists would] be so stupid as to dump it," Gail Zappa says. "First we have to get all the materials that we can together to put it back in one piece."

"Everything you see is live," she says of the performances in the film. "What you see is what was happening. No one has ever heard, except some crazy people in Holland, the whole score. My idea would be to have a performance of that exactly the way the score is."

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000560863