ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Fourchette at Pocé sur Cisse
© Gérard Proust from Le Magazine de la Touraine

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith to play at Tribute show but this really pisses me off........From Ian Return to archive Page: 1 2
28th June 2004 03:44 AM
IanBillen Keith is supposed to play at The Graham Parson's tribute show on July 10th, 2004. It seems official now from what I have read.
Normally I would think this is really cool. But come on, get in the fuckin studio with your band Keith. These guys are playing with everybody but The Rolling Stones. I wouldn't be pissed under normal circumstances but I thought they were supposed to be recording their album this summer???
Charlie canceled his shows specifically to do such. At this rate Charlie could of finished his summer gigs. What the Fuck is going on?
Ian
28th June 2004 04:48 AM
F505 as long as Kid Rock is not at the tribute I am satisfied
28th June 2004 10:17 AM
Snappy McJack Chill out, Ian -- I told you not to worry about it.

Fall of 2005 seems to be the target date. But I agree with you on some aspects. Some alleged "insiders" have said that this is an album that Keith and Mick want to be great. It ain't gonna be great if the keep jet-setting instead of working together.

But what can you do. Even they admitted they don't like recording anymore (how many times must this be said?).
28th June 2004 10:19 AM
jb
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Keith is supposed to play at The Graham Parson's tribute show on July 10th, 2004. It seems official now from what I have read.
Normally I would think this is really cool. But come on, get in the fuckin studio with your band Keith. These guys are playing with everybody but The Rolling Stones. I wouldn't be pissed under normal circumstances but I thought they were supposed to be recording their album this summer???
Charlie canceled his shows specifically to do such. At this rate Charlie could of finished his summer gigs. What the Fuck is going on?
Ian

It's an honor to be on the same list as you
[Edited by jb]
28th June 2004 10:23 AM
Joey Thanks IanBillen

It's an honor to be on the ame ( sic ) list as you

Jacky !
28th June 2004 11:20 AM
Main Offender Oh come on!! I'd be completely shocked if Keith did not show up for Gram Parsons. They were dear friends, Gram lived with Keith at Redlands for a while, then at Nellecote. Chill, man!!
28th June 2004 11:21 AM
Nasty Habits You beat me to it, Main Offender.

28th June 2004 12:03 PM
telecaster Unless Keith starts drinking bourbon again, it won't be a classic Stones album
28th June 2004 12:44 PM
Martha I'm SO glad to hear that Keith will be performing at the Tribute for Gram. I read about this upcoming event a few days ago with no mention of Keith being involved and I wondered WTF was up with that!?!....because I knew they were buddies. I'm all settled down now.

Thanks for posting this info Ian. As far as the Stones new album and when they need to be in the studio working together, hell I don't know. Maybe this Tribute show will kick Keef's MOJO up a few notches! :-) Ronnie's certainly practicing hard at that lately! LOL

I ain't gonna sweat it until I hear that they CANNOT play/perform any longer. Until then...I'm staying positive!

Fuck yup!
28th June 2004 06:16 PM
IanBillen [quote]Joey wrote:
Thanks IanBillen

It's an honor to be on the ame ( sic ) list as you

Sure thing. Hey I guess someones gotta bitch it up, you know.
Ian/quote]
28th June 2004 07:06 PM
mac_daddy i might have to go to this one, then - it is the one in LA, right?
28th June 2004 07:20 PM
gypsy Geez, Ian, can't the man take a night or two off to pay tribute to his great pal Gram Parsons? I'm very happy about this...I know Keith really loved Gram...and Gram was a great influence on Keith...and vice-versa. Well, musically.
28th June 2004 07:29 PM
Main Offender All of you should read "Hickory Wind" if you have not already done so. It's the life story of Gram Parsons. Good stuff. Nice insight into his relationship with the Stones and Keith.
28th June 2004 07:34 PM
Bloozehound Too cool, this Gram Parsons tribute sounds like it's going to be a whooper of a concert...great line-up of musicians...all icing on the cake...and Keef dropping in to pay tribute to his pal is the cherry on top...Go KEEF!
28th June 2004 07:55 PM
IanBillen
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Geez, Ian, can't the man take a night or two off to pay tribute to his great pal Gram Parsons? I'm very happy about this...I know Keith really loved Gram...and Gram was a great influence on Keith...and vice-versa. Well, musically.

Yes. Of coarse he should pay tribute to Graham. But a night off you say? What are they so busy doing right now? Watching Cricket and playing guest appearances with everyone eles but The Stones. All I want is an album in the fall. I am just sincerely hoping that we get one.
Ian
28th June 2004 08:01 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

All I want is an album in the fall. I am just sincerely hoping that we get one.
Ian

Yeah! yeah!

You tell'em.

Ian want's a new record by fall, and no questions asked!!

This outa really put the screws to those jokers, show them who's boss!
28th June 2004 09:46 PM
stonedinaustralia who else is on the bill??

tia
28th June 2004 10:03 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
who else is on the bill??

tia

lineup info here...

and look who is on the top!!!

[Edited by mac_daddy]
28th June 2004 10:19 PM
stonedinaustralia thanx mac_d

hope you can make it to the show - look forward to your review if you do
29th June 2004 12:05 AM
gypsy Ian, I was kidding...don't get so snippy. But it's not as if the guys are going to stay in the studio so that IAN gets his brand new Stones album this Fall.
29th June 2004 12:32 AM
beer I think this is great news. In damn near every interview, Keith praises Gram. It's good to see that he's actually gonna participate in this. I first heard of Gram in Barbra Charones Biography of Keith, one of the first stones books i ever read, years ago. but it was really hard to find Gram's music. now it's all over the place. I like Gram's early stuff the best, The International Submarine Band, and the Flyin Burrito bros. He had an incredible voice in the beginning. I'd give anything to hear the Keith/Gram stuff that was played at Nellcote, but Tarle said none of it was recorded. bummer.
29th June 2004 02:32 AM
IanBillen
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Ian, I was kidding...don't get so snippy. But it's not as if the guys are going to stay in the studio so that IAN gets his brand new Stones album this Fall.

I know Gypsy but I think they could consider their fan base.
And the fan base has been waiting too long. I am in no way speaking for myself, I was speaking for everyone. They stated at the beggining of Licks that they would record right after the album (implying that a release was to come). They say they have got a whole album in the making according to Ron Wood. He said it wouldn't take long to complete an album. He said just a few months. Then the supposed story was to record this summer so Charlie cancelled his shows. Well as far as we can see none of them are in the studio together. Where is this supposed album? Why aren't they recording right now together?
-I realize they are the Rolling Stones and they deserve R and R like all of us. No matter how rich they are they need to go out and have fun too.
-If it were only 2 or 3 years between studio albums I wouldn't complain. But seven? I surely, and I don't think any of us want it to be eight.
-And I do realize I am complaining here. But someone has to. I don't want another Gun's n Roses syndrome here with yours, and my, Rolling Stones is all. Also I see it as this: I (and many here)have spent thousands of Dollars supporting them and argued countless times in their favor and in their respect. I have the right to complain as well. lol
That's is where I am coming from,
Now everyone can at least know that. I feel we should complain only when their is a need. When they released Voodoo all I did was praise them, when Licks came around I went on vacation to see them at Giants Stadium. I have seen them every tour since 1981. Bought every album on it's very release day since 1989, and seen them more than once on every tour since 89...... When they don't give us an album in seven years and keep acting like they are about to but don't deliver it makes you, well complain a little
Ian
29th June 2004 06:13 AM
scratched It'll be ready when its ready.

I'm glad Keith is doing this show. A loyal guy who never forgets his old friends.
29th June 2004 11:56 AM
Martha Will these shows be televised or projected ( satellite fed) into select movie theaters like the Prince tour opener was? Please tell me yes....

mac_daddy damn straight you gotta go to this one! You too Martha My Dear!

Martha (the other) from far far away in Ohio
29th June 2004 01:42 PM
BILL PERKS IAN..GET HELP.
29th June 2004 02:01 PM
Ten Thousand Motels MUSTHEAR REVIEW:

Fans of the Byrds' psychedelic brand of folk-rock were left baffled by the band's sudden about face in the direction of country music on Sweetheart of the Rodeo. Many wondered how the same band that recorded the '60s drug anthem "Eight Miles High" could suddenly end up singing "I Love The Christian Life" without any hint of sarcasm. Even the 1968 radio ad promoting the record features a disbelieving fan insisting," Naw, that ain't the Byrds," after hearing only a few song snippets. Ahead of its time, Sweetheart of the Rodeo was a groundbreaking act of rebellion away from the classic rock sound of its day, entirely different from anything the Byrds (or anyone else) had recorded before.

The catalyst in the birth of the new Byrds sound was the addition of Southern-born singer-songwriter Gram Parsons, who replaced David Crosby on vocals and guitar. Responding to the influence of Parsons, Bryds front man Roger McGuinn packed up his trademark 12-string guitar, picked up the banjo, and took the band into the recording studio in Nashville. What resulted was an album filled with solid country graces--syrupy slide and twangy rhythm guitars, honky-tonk piano, hoe-down-style violin, shuffling drums, and strumming banjo. Gorgeous harmonies were the main ingredient still remaining from the Byrds earlier musical incarnations.

In a slight nod towards tradition, the album opens up strongly with a Dylan cover, a spectacular Nashville-infused reworking of "You Ain't Going Nowhere." The Bob Dylan songbook is pillaged once more on the album's climactic closing cut, a country-rocking version of "Nothing Was Delivered," replete with crashing drum cymbals and steel guitars. While the two Dylan cuts clearly take top honors, the pair of Parsons-penned originals don't lag far behind. Parsons' classic rendition of "Hickory Wind" is as arresting as a good swig of Southern Comfort. The long-lost original version of Parsons' "One Hundred Years From Now," (included as one of the eight bonus track on the 1997 CD reissue) features his own voice, which far and away surpasses the vocals later overdubbed by McGuinn for the official release of the album.

Due to ridiculous contractual troubles, Columbia Records had Parsons' lead vocals removed from several of the record's cuts, bringing McGuinn back into the studio to overdub new voice tracks. Comparing the Parsons and McGuinn versions of "I Like the Christian Life," it's obvious that McGuinn was affecting a Southern drawl in order to overdub his best Parsons impersonation. It's funny, but hearing the Byrds sing such straight-faced versions of "I Like The Christian Life" is akin to watching the honky-tonk bar scene from "The Blues Brothers," where Belushi and Akroid take a pretty damn good stab at country music with their inspired cover of Rawhide. You're laughing with pleasure at just how well they pull off their preposterous little foray into country. The only difference was that the Blues Brothers won over the crowd. Despite its winning brilliance, sales of Sweetheart of the Rodeo were lackluster compared to earlier Byrds records. Few could understand what in the hell the Byrds were doing experimenting with country-rock, because every self-respecting follower of the late-'60s counter-culture knew that country music belonged to Squares and had no business being mixed up in rock.

Over 30 years later, we can step back and realize that Sweetheart of the Rodeo was a deliberate act of musical defiance exemplifying the true spirit of Rock and Roll.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
29th June 2004 02:02 PM
jb Good point Ian....I think you are 100% correct.
29th June 2004 02:14 PM
IanBillen
quote:
jb wrote:
Good point Ian....I think you are 100% correct.

Thank you JB. You see it like it is. what would make me really happy is if the headline said: Keith Richards will break from recording session with The Rolling Stones to pay tribute to a Country Legend, and an influence to Mr. Richards. Then I would be like great, fine, no prob. lol
Ian
29th June 2004 06:44 PM
Dan This gig is happening less than 5 miles from my house but probably wont go. Might try to score a cheap parking lot ticket since there are seem to be great seats available now.

And chill out Ian, they recorded Steel Wheels in a few weeks. I am not going to get all anxious over an album that may or may come out and that I might listen to two times before forgetting about it.
29th June 2004 07:05 PM
Gazza >Thank you JB. You see it like it is. what would make me really happy is if the headline said: Keith Richards will break from recording session with The Rolling Stones to pay tribute to a Country Legend, and an influence to Mr. Richards. Then I would be like great, fine, no prob. lol
Ian

I think the fact that Keith agreed to play on the condition that the organisers arranged a private jet to get him there and back would suggest that he was interrupting some form of work specifically for the event.

I think with all respect you shouldnt get in a tizzy over it. What work there is to do on a Stones album is minimal and pretty cosmetic, and as it wont be out until just before theyre about to tour (which wont be THIS year) theres hardly a huge rush on it. These guys know what theyre doing and how long it is likely to take a lot more than you or I do.

Also, you have pointed out about Ronnie playing with other people. However, Keith has been probably the most publicly low profile band member in recent weeks. That would suggest to me he's working on something - if not recording per se, then putting some songs into shape.
Page: 1 2