ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Fourchette at Pocé sur Cisse
© Gérard Proust from Le Magazine de la Touraine

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Steven Van Zandt to Hold Garage Band Festival (NSC) Return to archive
26th June 2004 10:43 AM
Martha WORD!

06/26/2004  07:58:40 EST
Steven Van Zandt to Hold Garage Band Festival

NEW YORK - Classic '60s rock TV shows "Hullaballo," "Upbeat" and "Shindig" inspired Little Steven Van Zandt's latest project - a one-day garage band festival featuring the godfathers of garage rock and their offspring.

The International Underground Garage Festival will be Aug. 14 on Randall's Island in New York City. The show will include the reunited New York Dolls, Iggy Pop & the Stooges and Bo Diddley, Van Zandt announced Friday.

"I've always wanted to do a rock and roll festival in the old style of Alan Freed, `Shindig,' `Hullabaloo' and all of those early shows," Van Zandt said.

He promised concertgoers "one giant B-movie beach party complete with monsters and aliens" - although he offered one caveat.

"I am having a bit of trouble getting the monsters and aliens on board," he said. "It's their agents that kill you."

The concert also will feature The Strokes, The Raveonettes and The Chesterfield Kings.
26th June 2004 12:09 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Actually this is SSC instead of NSC as the Pretty Things with Dick Taylor will be rocking the stage.

Here's former Rollin' Stone Dick Taylor with Keith back in 1962

BO DIDDLEY is included in the line-up for Little Steven's International Underground Garage Festival, a one-day celebration of garage band music to be held at Randall's Island, New York, NY on Saturday August 14th.

Other performers due to appear at the Festival, which is organized in conjunction with Steven Van Zandt's popular nationally syndicated radio show "Little Steven's Underground Garage", include The Chesterfield Kings, The Electric Prunes, The Fuzztones, The New York Dolls, Iggy Pop & The Stooges, The Pretty Things, The Raveonettes and The Strokes.

Many garage and punk bands over the past 40 years cite the music of BO DIDDLEY as being of particular influence to their music, with many recording and performing their own versions of classic BO DIDDLEY songs such as "I'm A Man", "I'm Alright", "Pills", "Mona", "Pretty Thing" and "Road Runner".

"Little Steven's Underground Garage": http://www.littlestevensundergroundgarage.com/
26th June 2004 12:23 PM
Martha Thanks for adding that important additional info. I did not know that!

xxoo,
Martha

That Voodoo that YOU do.... so well!

:-)
26th June 2004 12:24 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Martha wrote:
That Voodoo that YOU do.... so well!

Love that quote that you used also in the Dylan's tree thread
29th June 2004 09:29 PM
Sir Stonesalot Snappy!

Here's the list so far(the web site says that they will be trying to add more bands to the bill):

Performers:Iggy Pop & The Stooges,The Strokes,The New York Dolls,The Romantics,The Raveonettes,The Pretty Things,The Moonie Suzuki,The Electric Prunes,The Fonda's,Bo Diddley,The Cynics,The Chains,The Singles,The Stems,The Woggles,The Chesterfield Kings,The Paybacks,Boss Martians,The Chains,The Forty-Fives,The Shazam, The Cocktail Slippers,The Star Spangles,The Charms,The Fuzztones,The High Dials,The Contrast, The Flaming Sideburns

Anyone going? Nasty, you should come up for it! Tix are only $20.00!
29th June 2004 09:32 PM
Snappy McJack I'd say $20 is almost like free admission for this. Can't make it though
29th June 2004 09:34 PM
mac_daddy i thought x was playing, too...

watt will be with the stooges - they sounded great at atp last year (i sent you that tape i pulld, right ss..?)
29th June 2004 09:46 PM
Sir Stonesalot Nope. Nor the BRMC or Stripes.

X may very well end up on the bill. There is rumblings of a Buffalo Springfield reunion as well.

I'm guessing a split stage set up? One band playing while they tear down and set up the next one?
30th June 2004 12:58 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Nor the BRMC or Stripes.

Why, SS, why?!?!?! I love BRMC!!!!
30th June 2004 02:51 PM
Prodigal Son A Springfield reunion? Meh, it don't mean much unless Neil Young does something so rare. He actually steps into the spotlight to do a big-time event. He skipped the RnR hall of fame induction for them and is always leaving people high n' dry because of his reclusive ways. I think it's funny. Anyway, a great-looking festival thanks to Miami Steve.
30th June 2004 02:59 PM
Snappy McJack Is Paulie Walnuts going to be there, too? Pussy?

I hear Tony Soprano is doing guest vocals for the Dolls. Should be fun.
2nd July 2004 07:42 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Snappy!

Here's the list so far(the web site says that they will be trying to add more bands to the bill):

Performers:Iggy Pop & The Stooges,The Strokes,The New York Dolls,The Romantics,The Raveonettes,The Pretty Things,The Moonie Suzuki,The Electric Prunes,The Fonda's,Bo Diddley,The Cynics,The Chains,The Singles,The Stems,The Woggles,The Chesterfield Kings,The Paybacks,Boss Martians,The Chains,The Forty-Fives,The Shazam, The Cocktail Slippers,The Star Spangles,The Charms,The Fuzztones,The High Dials,The Contrast, The Flaming Sideburns

Anyone going? Nasty, you should come up for it! Tix are only $20.00!

After hearing recent reviews of the New York Dolls reuinion I am seriously thinking about it. Rock and roll cannot help but happen at some point at that beastie. Dolls/Stooges/Pretty Things on the same bill? It hardly seems possible to miss.

http://www.bobgruen.com/potda/0604/Dollsweb/DollsReunion.html

Some of the pictures look scary, but it's nice to see photographs of David Jo looking happy to be alive again.

Dig that crazy Shane McGowan!

2nd July 2004 08:21 PM
Sir Stonesalot Nasty...

If you decide to head up for this, make sure to let me know. We gotta meet up.