ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Marquee Club 1962
Happy 41st Anniversary
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rest In Peace Brian Jones Return to archive
07-02-03 02:38 PM
Miss U. July 2nd, 1969.
If I was there.....sometimes wouldn't it be nice to go back in time.
Without Brian we wouldn't be seeing the Stones July 30th, I'll think of that at the show.
07-02-03 03:09 PM
Maxlugar Miss U,

I myself might not make it home. The subway down by my building is closed due to suspicious powder being found. And the Brooklyn Bridge is closed as well. Something is going on here in lower Manhattan.

Miss U., if I shall go, please promise me, PROMISE ME!, you will do my memorial website.

You do "Brian's" VERY well.

Thanks,

Brian Maxy!
07-02-03 03:18 PM
Factory Girl Gee, Maxy, some of us wish we could do you.
07-02-03 04:13 PM
stewed & Keefed Miss U,

It's always a very sad time of year for me
always more....never less.
07-02-03 05:34 PM
LadyJane I've always been very sad on this day. I'm very lucky, though, because this year I have fellow Stonesian friends who understand.

Hope you have finally found the peace that seemed to allude you in your short lifetime.

LadyJ.

07-02-03 05:55 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Miss U. wrote:
Without Brian we wouldn't be seeing the Stones July 30th,

See that will always be the question.

It's such a good question people even write books about it.

However, Mick and Keith did not meet Brian on that train.

Btw, took the afternoon off to see Terminator 3. Not bad. I'm still puzzled by the ending. No joke, did the machines win or did humans? Seems to me were in for a Terminator 4 but will that be before or after he's Governor while turning California into GOP's.

07-02-03 06:59 PM
gypsy I'm always happy this time of year...cuz, hey, we have a three-day weekend full of lake fun & fireworks comming up!
I only get sad certain times of the year when a close friend or family member has passed. I get sad only because I miss that person...But I get happy because they are in heaven.
07-02-03 08:57 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I get sad only because I miss that person...But I get happy because they are in heaven.

So are you sad or happy?
07-02-03 09:00 PM
gypsy Right now I'm happy.
I find it very odd that someone can get that sad over a celebrity that they didn't know.
07-02-03 09:56 PM
Soul Survivor Same here. It's sad when people die, but when you don't know the person AS A PERSON, only by their music, pictures, etc....

I mean people over react a bit in my opinion. Its sad that Brian passed away, but Im not gonna make my life miserable because of it.

But to each his own
07-02-03 10:11 PM
LadyJane
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Right now I'm happy.
I find it very odd that someone can get that sad over a celebrity that they didn't know.

Gypsy, my girlfriend, I must disagree.

Think about it. Don't you think you'll shed maybe one tear the day when you wake up and hear the news that Anita P or Keith R. has passed away?

JMHO....but in an odd way I DO feel like I know these people!!

LadyJ.

[Edited by LadyJane]
07-03-03 03:47 AM
Mathijs Had he not been kicked out the Stones, had he not died, we would have not seen the Stones today. It is clear from everybody who was there that Brian was a dark influence on the STones, dragging him down in his drug abuse and paranoia.

But in a way it is the same with Taylor: if he would have stayed, we would most probably not have seen the Stones today. Ron Wood punky attitude made them survive the 70's, and Ronnie's personal attitude made them survive the 80's.

Mathijs
07-03-03 05:04 AM
Moonisup I agree with Soulie,

I would find it sad if one of the stones would die, but I have never known them in private, so I would not be mourning 3 weeks, well anyway, you're longer dead then alive, so try to make the best of it (halelujah AMEN BROTHA)
07-03-03 05:37 AM
gypsy That is a good point, LJ. But, honestly, I haven't cried when a beloved celebrity has died. I'm sure it just depends on how we all are...and I'm just not one to cry over something like that. I remember thinking how odd it was that grown men were crying in bars over the death of Dale Earnhardt. A girl at school even started bawling when John Denver died. I just think it's weird...but I suppose their fans feel close to them.
07-03-03 12:36 PM
Miss U. This is a day to remember Brian with respect & the gift he gave us--The Stones. The day he left the Stones will always be a mystery as to whether he quit or was fired.
Some very nice comments here, nice to see.
It's not a day to belittle him, his fans, or his contributions.
Those who do so, well I guess, they have their own Anita Pallenburg site to obsess over.

MAXY-----LOL. Yes, you need a site to remember you, eh? I would do the honors. But we'll grow grey together here--you first.

Stewed & Keefed, what do u mean "always more, never less".
[Edited by Miss U.]
07-03-03 01:41 PM
KeepRigid
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

Don't you think you'll shed maybe one tear the day when you wake up and hear the news that Keep R. has passed away?

I, for one, will be very disheartened.

PS. When the fuck did John Denver die?!!
07-03-03 02:49 PM
Joey What's all the fuss .............?

It's not like Brian Jones had much to do with the history of the Stones anyway .

and now , THIS :

JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA
JACKY !

07-03-03 06:01 PM
gypsy Oh, Keep, don't act like you don't remember when John "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" Denver died.
I was interning at a hospital in '97, and a girl I worked with ran out of the hospital in tears. I felt bad for her, but thought it pretty strange.
07-03-03 07:59 PM
Child of the Moon I think it's plenty possible for a celebrity's death to have a big effect on you. I think, if that person's work influenced you and inspired you enough, you didn't have to know them, because it really kinda is like you "know" them.

I remember when George Harrison died. I had a big acting competition that day. I showed up to school, and when my friends in the theater looked at me that morning... well, one said to me later on, "You seriously looked like you'd seen Death himself." George's death hit me pretty hard, because he had such a profound influence on me and my life. I'm sure when guys like Keef and Pete Townshend and Neil Young pass on, I'll feel the same.
07-03-03 08:31 PM
Soul Survivor
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
I'm sure when guys like Keef and Pete Townshend and Neil Young pass on, I'll feel the same.

When Keith dies, Rock and Roll dies. Seriously. There will never be another like him. His music, or his attitude. But he will never die, so rock lives on

RIP Brian Jones
[Edited by Soul Survivor]
07-03-03 09:46 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl We can't say that without him we wouldn't have the Stones...
We can't say that because he quit we have the Stones alive and well and successful...

He simply was a Rolling Stone, and a person and he made great and unique contributions the band, and that's why we think he always deserves something special to commemorate his birthday, his death... and all steps in between... his life, specially his work as a musician regardless of his private life.

07-03-03 09:49 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Soul Survivor wrote:
When Keith dies, Rock and Roll dies.

07-03-03 10:08 PM
Soul Survivor hahaha keiths got the middle finger up in the 3rd picture....

jay leno must be standing by the guy taking the pciture
07-03-03 10:44 PM
gypsy Miss U, I've actually been spending most of my time at Seraph's P Diddy Reality website. It truly is "The Net's Biggest P Diddy Resource!"

I'm sure I'll be sad when Keith dies...I mean, he is the shit. I love that guy.

I agree with your post, Voodoo. I think Brian's contribution to the band was great, and should be brought to more people's attention. A lot of my friends don't even know who Brian Jones is. I also believe that Anita & Marianne profoundly influenced the Stones. Both were very talented and well-read women...and their intellect rubbed off on Keith and Mick...their songwriting was at it's best when they had Anita & Marianne as their "muses." It's too bad women don't get the recognition they deserve...and that goes for all the women 'behind' all the 'great' men out there. Try reading "The Women of the Beat Generation," and you'll realize how badly women get treated and thrown aside...and how many of them were far smarter than their celebrated husbands or boyfriends.
07-04-03 12:02 AM
LadyJane
quote:
gypsy wrote:

I agree with your post, Voodoo. I think Brian's contribution to the band was great, and should be brought to more people's attention. A lot of my friends don't even know who Brian Jones is. I also believe that Anita & Marianne profoundly influenced the Stones. Both were very talented and well-read women...and their intellect rubbed off on Keith and Mick...their songwriting was at it's best when they had Anita & Marianne as their "muses." It's too bad women don't get the recognition they deserve...and that goes for all the women 'behind' all the 'great' men out there. Try reading "The Women of the Beat Generation," and you'll realize how badly women get treated and thrown aside...and how many of them were far smarter than their celebrated husbands or boyfriends.

I am literally bowing to the computer screen in your honor, Miss Gypsy for your most insightful post!!

Here's to the "muses" who never got/get proper credit!!

LadyJ.

07-04-03 12:30 AM
gypsy LadyJ, I'm so honored! I thought you'd be mad at me for my earlier post, which came off as a little uncaring.
I've just been on this women's thing for a while now. My best friend is an English teacher at our old high school, and we have been exchanging books this spring/summer...and she sent me the greatest note in one of the books. I will share part of her note with you:

"...I have flipped through 'The Women of the Beat Generation,' and have not all too surprisingly discovered that a good majority of women were commited to institutions. Amazing how times have changed--in the 50's women who were open, out, intelligent, and challenging the system were institutionalized and now we just fill them with Paxil, Zoloft, Lithium to dull the senses--catatonically institutionalizing them. In a moment of boredom, I ponder the realization that women are the mentally superior species--too intelligent for their own minds and certainly the male-dominated majority of professionals (doctors, lawyers, etc...) So crazy is what we have learned, been taught to call them and disregard them as casually as yesterday's socks. I'm telling you, we need to take our mental acuity and do something great. Too bad it won't be recognized until after our deaths--to inspire otheres like us. Anyhow--nice fantasy--too bad the reality of it all sucks. To be a muse without any money was much easier decades ago. Materialism has ruined society."

I found it inspiring--and, sadly, true.

Girl Power!
07-04-03 02:04 AM
Yyteri Beach Rest In Peace, Brian. The soul of The Stones in the early sixties...
07-04-03 08:42 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Yes, when he passed the Rolling Stone Magazine (No.39 August 9, 1969) wrote the following:

If Keith and Mick were the mind and body of the Stones, Brian was clearly the soul

Rest in peace Brian...

...the end of an era
07-04-03 10:06 AM
LadyJane
quote:
gypsy wrote:
LadyJ, I'm so honored! I thought you'd be mad at me for my earlier post, which came off as a little uncaring.

Gypsy....I could never be mad at you!!

Thanks for sharing that note. It's so true and I agree, very, very sad!!!

I like to think, however, that we Stonesian gals tend to be an exception......we NEVER take the backseat, always speak our minds, and don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks!!

Girl Power!!!

LadyJ.
07-04-03 01:26 PM
Miss U. Keith took on alot of Brian's aspects after his death.

Brian was the soul of the Stones. He WAS what the Stones are about.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003