ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Marquee Club 1962
Happy 41st Anniversary
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Tracklist For New Album Return to archive
07-01-03 02:16 PM
Soul Survivor I was thinking

When the Stones release the new studio album, do you think they will include the 4 new songs off Forty Licks? It's been known that a band will record a few songs for a soundtrack or something and then include them on their new studio album. This would reduce the amount of songs they have to write.

Also, do you think It will be a long album. I was looking at newer artists albums, and it seems like none of them have below 12 songs. A bunch of them have around 16. Albums these days have alot of songs. Unlike when the Stones would release albums with 9/10 song albums in the 60's and 70's

Do you guys think we can expect rocking Stones, or do you think we can expect 'modern stones', meaning Mick will get Babyface to produce songs. I dont think Keith will allow this to happen, just wondering what you think...

And finally, just for the record, this WILL NOT be the last studio album. This could be the last tour (I doubt it) but even when the band stops touring, theres always the studio. Like the Beatles did. Age doesnt matter when you just have to record in the studio...
07-01-03 02:59 PM
ianbillen
I don't think the new album will include any of the newer tracks unless maybe "Don't Stop". The only reason I include "Don't Stop" in the list is because Mick recently said before playing the song that it will be on their next album. This is uncharacterisic of the Stones and this surprised me. Mick may of just been doing this to keep people guessing as they like to. As far as a long album I am sure it will have at least 12 tracks. No Way will it have all four tracks from Forty Licks.
This is how things usually go.
Ian
07-01-03 04:14 PM
Soul Survivor Do the stones really have to write that much new material though considering the leftovers they recorded for Forty Licks? Im anxious to hear those session, if they ever become available. The new album may be essentially a left overs album
07-02-03 12:29 PM
ianbillen
quote:
Soul Survivor wrote:
Do the stones really have to write that much new material though considering the leftovers they recorded for Forty Licks? Im anxious to hear those session, if they ever become available. The new album may be essentially a left overs album

We'll they had a month in France last year but that it not enough. The have alot of new material according to Ronnie Wood and that was just after the Paris Sessions but I think they need more time to write new tracks and to record them with the entire band present.
Ian
07-02-03 01:20 PM
T&A I think it will mostly be from the tracks from Paris '02 - many of which probably just need a guitar overdub here and a final vocal track there. And, personally, I hope it's just a good ol' 45 minute album - artists are making a big mistake trying to cram 70 minutes onto albums these days - you wind up with a lot of filler that compromises the album. Plus, who the hell has the time and patience to listen to the whole bloody thing in one sitting anyway. I don't hear folks complaining about the length of Beggars or Sticky or LIB...
07-02-03 01:41 PM
Maxlugar Voodoo Lounge would have been a classic of mammoth proportions if they took away the filler.
07-02-03 01:58 PM
Soul Survivor Yeah I agree. 15 songs....take off about 5 and you have a great disc. Its still great, but theres too much filler

New Faces
Sweethearts Together
Brand New Car
Suck On The Jugular
Baby Break It Down

All of those are filler in my opinion
07-02-03 03:29 PM
T&A BNC is one of the highlights of VL, IMO. Would scrap YGMR - arguably their lamest rocker ever; I cringe when they play this song...seems like something Van Halen would do. Peeeyuuuuu....
07-02-03 04:13 PM
Factory Girl I like Brand New Car also. YGMR is too formulaic. I agree with T&A here.
07-03-03 01:15 AM
ExileInLA Voodoo Lounge is their best record since (and this is no joke) -- Exile! I firmly believe that it's WAY better than Some Girls. (Flame away! )

These songs definitely should have been left off tho:
New Faces
Sweethearts Together
Suck on the Jugular

and Baby Break it Down should have been made the last track
instead of Thru and Thru.

Exile
07-03-03 03:43 AM
ianbillen
quote:
T&A wrote:
BNC is one of the highlights of VL, IMO. Would scrap YGMR - arguably their lamest rocker ever; I cringe when they play this song...seems like something Van Halen would do. Peeeyuuuuu....

You got Me Rocking is a subtlile classic in my book. Sure it is formulatic but who cares. It is So damnable catchy. It sounds so good. The recording and production is simply fanatstic. Also it just gets you in my book. It grabs hold of you from beguinning to end. And they pour their hearts into it and just rock it out. I think Voodoo is one of their top 5 albums. I rank it 4th or 5th. It is classic type Stones. Love is Strong is their best single in the past 25 years right along with Start me Up. It is either one of the two yet they are so completely different you can not make a direct comparison. This album is from the heart. It is hot, Rolling Stones in the summer time. Out of Tears is their best balad in the past twenty five years along side Waiting on a friend. It may be a close second sure but it is still an A#1 Stones ballad....with feeling. Voodoo had soul were Steel Wheels and Dirty Work lacked. It was a return to form. Don Was the Producer of the Album did one of the best production jobs I've ever heard. I love the way the songs sound. No wonder he got Rock Producer of the year. He brought The Stones out of the Stones. We desperately needed that at that time period.
And Thru and Thru by Keith is also a underground classic in my book. It was different, Full and From the heart of Rock n Roll itself. I go Wild is their best Rocker in 25 years arguably. All the rest are great. Ok some are better than others and I admit that. Sweethearts together and Mean Disposition...maybey one other may of been left out but the Stones felt since it was such a long time since Steel Wheels that they should include all tracks.
the whole album flows together so nicely. It takes you on a ride with it and that is what a great album is supposed to do. I do respect your opinions. I was just stating mine.
Any thoughts?
Good talking with everyone
Ian
07-03-03 04:21 AM
Zeeta Yeah man, Brand New Car is the business!!!!!!!

That ain't no filler Ronald!

I also love the version on Marko's finest collection Stripped & Naked!

07-03-03 10:15 AM
T&A Ian:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Can't agree with you on YGMR or Out of Tears (a decent ballad - nowhere near as good as WOAF, though)...

On YGMR - it's not that it's so formulamatic - it's that the lyrics are so elementary - like something a sixth-grader would write. The Stones often "mail in" the lyrics - but rarely do they come up with something this bad. "Hey, hey - you got me rockin' now?" I don't think so. You got me cringin' now, maybe....
07-03-03 06:18 PM
Soul Survivor Who cares. Everything doesnt have to be serious all the time. Just listen to listen
07-03-03 06:50 PM
tumblingdice Agree with you totally ianbillen. Love YGMR and never had a problem with the lyrics. And Out of Tears just tells it like it is. Anyone else ever been there. " I can't eat...I can't sleep...."
07-04-03 02:01 AM
Yyteri Beach I think Voodoo Lounge is a great album but couple of odd songs could have easily been dropped out like that Sweethearts together (yak).

Fortunately I have that LP version where is NOT included that stupid leftover "Mean Disposition".

I read that Keef wanted the CD version to be the same kind like LP (without MD) but Mick insisted that MD must be included. Don't know if this is just urban legend or what...

I think LP ends just perfectly to Keef's T&T.

07-04-03 02:34 AM
stonedinaustralia No doubt (imo) Out of Tears is one of Micks better efforts in years – both the melody and lyric are top shelf quality

Paradoxically and ironically those lines “I won’t cry when you say goodbye – I’m out of tears” are so f$%ng SAD I feel tears rising every time I hear them

and no doubt about it the big downside to the CD “revolution” is that fact that they are all too long – just because you can package 70 odd minutes of music on one disc doesn’t mean you have to

SIAKY – snorting snot from being so sad
07-04-03 11:47 AM
Boomy The STones haven't released a studio album since I was a freshman in high school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF!!!!!!!
07-04-03 02:45 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Hah, you too, Boomhauer?

The Stones haven't released a new studio album since I was in the fifth grade!

As for Voodoo Lounge... there are some good tracks on there.

And I personally love "Mean Disposition". I think it's got that jumpy feeling - I just don't think they should have tacked it on after "Thru And Thru".

When was "Jump On Top Of Me" released? That wasn't so bad. Better than "New Faces" and, yes, "Brand New Car". You say "You Got Me Rocking" is formulaic? Uggh, "Brand New Car" *defines* the term 'filler'.

"Blinded By Rainbows" is a decent song with crap lyrics. "I Go Wild" is a fun second tier number. "Thru And Thru" is the best song Keith's done since "Before They Make Me Run", head and shoulders above even "Wanna Hold You". "You Got Me Rocking" seems to get a lot of the hate that "Like A Rolling Stone" gets. Everyone who didn't see the second FleetCenter show freaked when they heard they used "You Got Me Rocking" as the opener, but hell, it was near the level of "Brown Sugar". "The Worst" ain't bad, but "Sparks Will Fly" has lyrics and an annoying sort of pop sound that makes me want to stick my finger down my throat. "Moon Is Up" is possibly the most forgettable song in the Stones catalogue, "Out Of Tears" belongs on a Mick solo album, it ain't bad but it ain't particularly good either. "Suck On The Jugular" I think is pretty funny, with a good bassline stuck to a song that doesn't go anywhere. "Baby Break It Down" is pretty damn good, too - like "I Go Wild", it's a solid second-tier number.

If I'm having an irratable day and don't feel like giving anything another shot, my playlist on VL usually looks like this:

Love Is Strong
You Got Me Rocking
The Worst
I Go Wild
Baby Break It Down
Thru And Thru
Mean Disposition

That's seven numbers. Less than Black And Blue.

Better than Some Girls, one of the two albums on which I skip *one* song if I'm in a *very* unforgiving mood? Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

If they'd stuck "Jump On Top Of Me" in there, maybe a few other numbers from the outtakes, done something different with "Sparks Will Fly", "Brand New Car", "Sweethearts Together" and "Out Of Tears", maybe, just maybe, there woulda been a killer album. As it is, it's filler stranglin' killer.

And to answer the original question -

God, I hope not. They have mountains of unused numbers out there that their fans love and the mainstream would too if they got released.

And I think it's time they dropped ol' Don Was, though he'll probably be with them 'till the end unless he pulls a Jimmy Miller.

-tSYX --- I stand accused of talkin'...

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003