ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Marquee Club 1962
Happy 41st Anniversary
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ain't that America? (ssc) Return to archive Page: 1 2
06-30-03 05:42 PM
W Randolph Hearst http://www.salon.com/ent/music/int/2003/06/30/mellencamp/index.html

I heard that not long ago you added "Gimme Shelter" to your playlist. What's that about?

Yeah, a couple tours ago I was starting the show with that. I don't really know why I did that. I just like playing the song, I guess. I really don't think much of the Rolling Stones these days. I don't mean to come off sounding pompous but I just think, I don't know, some of the stuff the Rolling Stones say and stand for today is a little too corporate for me.

What do they stand for, do you think?

I don't think they stand for anything. Being the oldest rock band, I guess. And, "Man, didn't we write some great songs when we were kids." But there's too much American Express. Too corporate. Listen, I got nothing against people making money, don't misunderstand me. If you can make money, go make it.

06-30-03 05:49 PM
steel driving hammer I love Mellencamp!! His new blues album is pretty good actually.

Too bad he's already had 3 heart attacks though.

But so did Dick Cheney and they're both still fine gentelmen.

Get A Leg Up Brenda Ahhh Ahhh!!! ;^)
06-30-03 08:38 PM
telecaster Anyone that sings "Jack and Diane" should not comment on anything ever in their entire life. Period
06-30-03 08:47 PM
steel driving hammer No Little Diddy? LOL.
06-30-03 09:48 PM
corgi37 mellencamp? He still alive? I've seen him 3 times here in Oz many moons ago, and he was great. But i re-state, that was many moons ago. But the bloke lost his fucking marbles when he sacked his band. The same band that contained one of rocks best drummers, Kenny Aronoff. He sacked Kenny for a fucking drum machine. By the way, his best album "Uh-Huh" is dedicated to the Rolling Stones. Me thinks there is also a touch of envy in his comments. Hope the poor little bastard hasnt got a complex like the Who have/did.
06-30-03 10:46 PM
steel driving hammer I still like him but it's strange how he started out coping the Stones and now he's talking trash about what they've done.

Folks I hope Bands don't get too jealous and puzzled on how the Stones have come this far into uncharted waters.

I'm suprised the US or British Intelligence haven't got the Stones into a locked room and interrogating on how they do it. Really.

06-30-03 10:54 PM
steel driving hammer I mean just look at todays header pic w/ them smiling still. It's just incredible. Like they could care less about anything.

When the media talks shit about them, it only makes them stronger.

So button your lip, it's creasing yoe butt.
07-01-03 04:12 AM
The Hand of Fate Johnny Cougar/Cougar Mellancamp/Mellancamp/what will I think of next? is a mere Springsteen wannabe at worst, a fiery roots-rocker at best. I like it when he does this type of bluesy material, and his mid-80s stuff stands out pretty well, I dig "Pink Houses" in the right mood, "Check it Out," "Cherry Bomb," "Hurts So Good" and even "Jack and Diane." Poor dude'll be lucky to live till 60 though (he's 52 right now). Repeated heart attacks and he still smokes like four packs a day, maybe even more than Keef, yep, he's in for a date with the grim reaper. For Mellencamp's sake, I hope that if he dies it would come quick and painless, because if not it will be a long, gruelling suffering with cancer/heart troubles that would make Dick Cheney blush, that no one should have to live through. Daaaaaaaaaaa, Daaaaa, Daaa Daaa Da, Bba (clap), bba (Clap), that's all for tonight folks.
"Little pink houses for you and me."
Yeesh, if you like your home coloured pink, go right ahead.
[Edited by The Hand of Fate]
07-01-03 07:29 AM
Maxlugar I like John Mellencamp. He will die soon, indeed.

And some of what he says here rings true in that our favorite band has not recorded an album in seven friggin' years. Three albums in the last 14 years! The tours have been great but shit they are not real band in a lot of respects anymore.

Makes me shake and quiver the way Katherine Hepburn must have been when first filled with cold formaldehyde.

Maxy!
07-01-03 07:58 AM
Factory Girl Maxy, what do you think of Full Throttle (Cha Cha Angels) not living uo to its own hype?? What went wrong??
07-01-03 08:17 AM
Maxlugar Three borderline good looking babes in a stupid as hell movie does not a block buster make.

Thank God Bill Murray decided to sit this one out. Can't believe there is a second one in the first place!

If I were making that film, I'd have Pamela Anderson, Carmen Electra and Thalia in there shakin' their booty's! I'd have them in a sweaty jungle quest to root out the Taliban in Hawaii wearing bullet proof thongs and spewing depleted uranium shells from their breast implants!

Come on Hollywood, give us a real "spanker"!

WACKY!

[Edited by Maxlugar]
07-01-03 08:26 AM
Factory Girl Maxy, what is your opinion on Demi Moore? Her boyfriend Ashton looks like one of her kids...not good.
07-01-03 08:38 AM
Boomy I remember in an interview Mellancamp said he was eating at McDonalds almost every day at one period of time. Since the Big Macs were not so go for his heart, he decided to switch to Fish sandwiches because he thought it would be "healthier". Then he said he was stupid for thinking that.

07-01-03 08:46 AM
steel driving hammer LOL, really?

Thats like saying Taco Bell is healthy because they don't fry thier food!

07-01-03 09:15 AM
Maxlugar Demi Moore will save the parts of the movie she is in. Her taut 40 year old body, long straight raven black hair and smokey whiskey voice stirs the loins to a frothy effervescent lather.

The McDonalds Filet O' Fish sandwich is not healthy??

07-01-03 09:24 AM
telecaster
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Demi Moore will save the parts of the movie she is in. Her taut 40 year old body, long straight raven black hair and smokey whiskey voice stirs the loins to a frothy effervescent lather.

The McDonalds Filet O' Fish sandwich is not healthy??

No Maxy, but the Wendy's Triple Cheesburger with XLarge fries is better for you than a garden salad with fat free dressing. John Candy loved those

The parts of Demi that don't have "Dow Chemicals" or "DuPont" stamped on them are still hot
07-01-03 09:35 AM
Joey " And some of what he says here rings true in that our favorite band has not recorded an album in seven friggin' years. Three albums in the last 14 years! The tours have been great but shit they are not real band in a lot of respects anymore. "

< ------ I have said it before and I will say it again , at least The Who knew when to quit making records .

Hey little buddy , I disagree -- I liked Voodoo lounge and B2B . Stripped was cool too .

" The talk
The sex
Somebody to trust
The Audi TT
The house on the Vineyard
The house on the gulf coast
These are the things I miss the most Ronnie "

Jacky !

07-01-03 10:34 AM
Boomy Yes, Joey is right!

I fucking cranked up B2B on my car stereo on the way to work a couple of nights ago and pressed the shuffle button. Then, all of the sudden, the opening chords to "Lowdown" come on, and holy shit, I thought I was going to bust an eardrum (and a nut)! It was loud and great!

Hell, "Might As Well GEt Juiced" is great at high volume.
07-01-03 10:48 AM
Joey " I fu$$ing cranked up B2B on my car stereo on the way to work a couple of nights ago and pressed the shuffle button. Then, all of the sudden, the opening chords to "Lowdown" come on, and holy shit, I thought I was going to bust an eardrum (and a nut)! It was loud and great! "

You are much loved by the Joey .

And Steelie , I saw a great movie Sunday Evening called the " Pianist " by Roman Polanski -- Excellent . A MUST SEE Holocaust flick .

It reinforces my opinion more than ever that The Stones should not have played any dates in Germany ( due to past bad behavior on the world stage ) and instead should have saved the effort for more gigs in the states and perhaps Russia .

Jacky !
07-01-03 10:57 AM
steel driving hammer Joey the was Pianist fantastic. Scary scene when they threw that old man in the wheel chair off the balcony.

Why is Roman Polaski a Wanted Man in several countries? What did he do?

07-01-03 11:01 AM
Maxlugar [quote]Joey wrote:

< ------ I have said it before and I will say it again , at least The Who knew when to quit making records .

That's right they did quit in '78 didn't they...

Oh no wait, after the death of one of the greatest drummers of all time and an essential part of the band, they bravely carried on with the most pedestrian drummer they could find. Any port in a storm I guess. There was money to be made! Then giving the world the ghastly Face Dances and having the nerve to record the revolting It's Hard!

But at least they knew went to bow out gracefully from touring. Giving their fans the heads up that 1982 would be their LAST, FINAL, NEVER AGAIN shot at seeing them live was one of the nicest things they ever could have done. I mean, imagine if all those people hadn't spent all that money and not have gone! That would have been it!

Well.... actually they could have waited for the approximately 17 subsequent farewell tours, but you get the picture.

Anyway, thank God they didn't keep recording music like the Stones all these years. They KNEW when to quit.

LOL!! Let me say that again. It's fun.

"The Who knew when to quit."

HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha

Fuck Yup!

M!

[Edited by Maxlugar]
07-01-03 11:01 AM
steel driving hammer Hmm Joey just thinking about that movie more, I might rent it tonight.

I don't care if he has a nose like Pete Townshend.
07-01-03 11:38 AM
Joey " Why is Roman Polaski a Wanted Man in several countries? What did he do? "

Nothing out of the ordinary .

" Oh no wait, after the death of one of the greatest drummers of all time and an essential part of the band, they bravely carried on with the most pedestrian drummer they could find. Any port in a storm I guess. There was money to be made! Then giving the world the ghastly Face Dances and having the nerve to record the revolting It's Hard! "

If Pete Townshend had not written the " It's Hard " album , the the world would have been denied one of the most powerful anthemic classic rock songs of all time -- Eminence Front ( It's a Put-On , Bullsh## !!!! Bullsh## !!!! )

Plus , even YOU love " Athena " . That's right , I can hear you humming it at your desk halfway across the country .

" But at least they knew went to bow out gracefully from touring. Giving their fans the heads up that 1982 would be their LAST, FINAL, NEVER AGAIN shot at seeing them live was one of the nicest things they ever could have done. I mean, imagine if all those people hadn't spent all that money and not have gone! That would have been it!

Well.... actually they could have waited for the approximately 17 subsequent farewell tours, but you get the picture. "

WTF ?!?!?!?!

1982 WAS it . However , by 1989 , their bass player John Entwistle was completely financially bankrupt so the other boys , being the nice guys that they are , helped out their friend and toured the states ( and WHAT a tour it was -- Outstanding !!!!!! )........again , in 2000 , Entwistle was in danger of going to jail for income tax evasion , so Pete Townshend cranked up THE WHO machine once again to help out his friend ( another outstanding tour - Pete goes all electric )--- THAT is a man to admire and THAT is why he is " The Chairman of the Board " .

Perhaps Pete could buy your friend Jeff Beck a tan -- He's looking a little pale these days .

{{ CA - RACK ))

RBI Ronnie .

The Jacky ( Established 1999 , March 6th - and providing quality posting ever since )

07-01-03 11:47 AM
Dandelion*
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:

Why is Roman Polaski a Wanted Man in several countries? What did he do?

Nothing Bill Wyman hasn't done...
07-01-03 11:48 AM
Dandelion* Oh no! What happened to the Billy and Mick love dance pic?
07-01-03 11:58 AM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Dandelion* wrote:
Nothing Bill Wyman hasn't done...

But it's funny since he's a Wanted Man in several countries, including ours and UK maybe and then he goes off to direct a major motion picture.
07-01-03 12:00 PM

Then in 2002 The Ox dies and they still need to tour!

Hold on a minute....

Here is comes........

"The Who knew when to quit."

HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha
ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha
ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha
ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha
ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA
ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha
ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha
HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha
ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha HA ha ha ha ha ha
ha HA ha ha ha ha ha ha

WGP!
07-01-03 12:16 PM
Joey " Then in 2002 The Ox dies and they still need to tour!

Hold on a minute....

Here is comes........ "

Ah , yeah . Entwistle died on the Eve of the tour . The tour was already booked so they could not cancel it without giving back millions in promotion /rights fees and various / sundry distribution correlation fundings .

Plus, all that crap aside , your young Joey would have been heartbroken , so THERE : ******************** Young Joey sticks out tongue at Lower Wall Street / Manhattan area and pulls down pants exposing gloryhole *********************************

" I crack myself up Ronnie "

Jacky Boy !

07-01-03 12:29 PM
. "

Ah , yeah . Entwistle died on the Eve of the tour . The tour was already booked so they could not cancel it without giving back millions in promotion /rights fees and various / sundry distribution correlation fundings .

Oh please! What's a few millions bucks when you can just crank out another "Don't Let Go the Coat" and make BILLIONS!

MACKY! MACKY! MACKY!

07-01-03 12:42 PM
Joey " Oh please! What's a few millions bucks when you can just crank out another "Don't Let Go the Coat" and make BILLIONS!

MACKY! MACKY! MACKY! "

You make Joey sniggle .

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JA JAC JACK JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JA JAC JACK JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JA JAC JACK JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JA JAC JACK JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JA JAC JACK JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JA JAC JACK JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JA JAC JACK JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JA JAC JACK JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JA JAC JACK JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JA JAC JACK JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JA JAC JACK JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JA JAC JACK JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JA JAC JACKY

JACKY !

Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003