ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Stadio Giuseppe Meazza, Sani Siro, Milan - 11st July 2006
© Dave Hogan with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: late dylan? (nsc) Return to archive
5th July 2006 12:21 PM
Starbuck i have all dylan albums through desire but none after desire, save love and theft and time out of mind.

any suggestions? which late albums suck? which are indispensible?

thank you for your opinions!
5th July 2006 12:21 PM
glencar I think they all suck until those two.
5th July 2006 12:22 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
I think they all suck until those two.

Dyln is one of theh century. most oveerated of the 20t
5th July 2006 12:23 PM
glencar No, he's quite good. I have Greatest Hits 3 if Starbuck wants a copy.
5th July 2006 12:24 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
No, he's quite good. I have Greatest Hits 3 if Starbuck wants a copy.

YOU LIKE THAT WHINNING VOICE?
5th July 2006 12:25 PM
glencar Love it. Makes me horny. Me so horny. Me love her long time.
5th July 2006 12:29 PM
Spadeygrove Both "Infidels" and "Oh Mercy" are essential. "Slow Train Coming" is good too as are "Good As I Been To You" and "World Gone Wrong". Heck, just get 'em all.
5th July 2006 12:31 PM
Some Guy I never got Dylan.
5th July 2006 12:31 PM
glencar His last 2 are works of genius. The others listed in the post above yours are "feh"!
5th July 2006 12:49 PM
Starbuck josh, as a fellow child of israel, you should love dylan. his "whiney voice" spellbound a nation and helped to boost morale and give hope to the troops on the front in '67 and '73.

moshe dayan had a whiney voice, didn't he? his recording career was not nearly as successful as dylan's.

(he wears the eyepatch because he was poked in the kopf with a mic while recording "don't think twice, it's all kosher")
5th July 2006 12:57 PM
PartyDoll MEG Oh,Mercy, Infidels, Street Legal, Under the Red Sky, to name a few -heck all of them good. If you don't have the Bootleg Series, you really need to get them for your listening enjoyment.
5th July 2006 01:23 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:

LOL. Good one Josh, You're pretty funny.
5th July 2006 01:27 PM
Martha
quote:
jb wrote:

YOU LIKE THAT WHINNING VOICE?

Interesting that YOU think Bob sounds whiney jb.
5th July 2006 01:33 PM
Martha I didn't "get" Bob most of my life....now that I do I never want to leave. I just keep going in deeper and deeper.

Try him you may find...like I have, that he is like no other.

Bob ain't just a pop star Edith!

peace out,
Martha

jb...I was only teasin' ya'!
xxoo!

5th July 2006 01:39 PM
jb
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

LOL. Good one Josh, You're pretty funny.

WE are no Lenny B ruce, but we try.
5th July 2006 01:55 PM
Ten Thousand Motels "....the best songwriter of the age... " Johnny Cash

Hey if you can't believe Johnny Cash, who can you believe?
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
5th July 2006 01:57 PM
jb
quote:
"....the best songwriter of the age... " Johnny Cash

Merle haggerd..unlike Cash, he walked the line.
5th July 2006 02:04 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
Merle haggerd..unlike Cash, he walked the line.

Yeah, he did. I just bought a 3 CD Haggard set last week. It's pretty good, a bit too slow tempo for my tastes so I gotta be in the mood for it. But it's all really good stuff.
5th July 2006 02:20 PM
Ten Thousand Motels

5th July 2006 04:51 PM
MrPleasant Hard Rain 6
No Reason To Cry (Crapton) 6
Street Legal 6.5
Slow Train Coming 7
Shot Of Love 6.5
Infidels 5.5
Empire Discoteque 6
Knocked Out Loaded 5
Oh Mercy 7
The Bootleg Series 8.5
The Bootleg Series Vol. 5 (Live 1975) 9.5
Dylan Does It 2 Phatty Patty, Doggystile - Pimpin' In Da Hood!!! 10++
5th July 2006 04:53 PM
MrPleasant
quote:

5th July 2006 05:59 PM
Gazza
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
i have all dylan albums through desire but none after desire, save love and theft and time out of mind.

any suggestions? which late albums suck? which are indispensible?

thank you for your opinions!

everything is indispensable, as you need to get the whole picture.

Even the bad ones, like Knocked out loaded, Dylan and the Dead and Down in the groove. Along with Saved, theyre the only post-Desire albums that are clunkers. "Brownsville girl" off 'KOL' however is worth the price of the CD alone, but its on Greatest Hits Vol.3 so you might find that more palatable.

Dylan's best studio albums since 'Desire' and excepting the last two are Street Legal and Oh Mercy (the latter of which, like Time Out of Mind) is produced by Daniel Lanois)

The other two 'gospel' albums, "Slow train coming" and "shot of love" arent maybe for everyones taste but have moments of greatness

Of the others, there are the two albums of solo acoustic blues and folk covers, "Good as I been to you" and "World gone wrong" (1992 and 1993) which are pretty good. Dylan obviously waited until his voice was sufficiently battered to give the songs the authenticity they wouldnt have had had he recorded them decades earlier

"Infidels", "Empire Burlesque" and "Under the red sky" all have a few good songs each, but are brought down slightly by over fussy production (Empire Burlesque) or in the case of "Infidels" a suspect song selection which left off some of the best songs (all the more reason to buy Bootleg Series Vol 1-3)

You should also invest in ALL of the Bootleg Series releases,as well as the 3-CD compilation "biograph" (from 1985, which includes 18 unreleased songs)

Of the live albums from the last 30 years, 'Hard rain' is raw and indispensable, 'Budokan' features some bizarre rearrangements of old songs which some like and some dont (I like them but the European tour shows later that year are far better than these Tokyo gigs), 'Real Live' is nothing special for the most part, 'Dylan and the Dead' is far from the highpoint of either act's careers and best forgotten, and "MTV Unplugged" is pretty much what youd expect from such a formula-driven TV event.

You might find the allmusic.com guide of some use :

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:4x68mpn39f5o~T1

[Edited by Gazza]
5th July 2006 06:03 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:

everything is indispensable, as you need to get the whole picture.

Even the bad ones, like Knocked out loaded, Dylan and the Dead and Down in the groove. Along with Saved, theyre the only post-Desire albums that are clunkers. "Brownsville girl" off 'KOL' however is worth the price of the CD alone, but its on Greatest Hits Vol.3 so you might find that more palatable.

Dylan's best studio albums since 'Desire' and excepting the last two are Street Legal and Oh Mercy (the latter of which, like Time Out of Mind) is produced by Daniel Lanois)

The other two 'gospel' albums, "Slow train coming" and "shot of love" arent maybe for everyones taste but have moments of greatness

Of the others, there are the two albums of solo acoustic blues and folk covers, "Good as I been to you" and "World gone wrong" (1992 and 1993) which are pretty good. Dylan obviously waited until his voice was sufficiently battered to give the songs the authenticity they wouldnt have had had he recorded them decades earlier

"Infidels", "Empire Burlesque" and "Under the red sky" all have a few good songs each, but are brought down slightly by over fussy production (Empire Burlesque) or in the case of "Infidels" a suspect song selection which left off some of the best songs (all the more reason to buy Bootleg Series Vol 1-3)

You should also invest in ALL of the Bootleg Series releases,as well as the 3-CD compilation "biograph" (from 1985, which includes 18 unreleased songs)

Of the live albums from the last 30 years, 'Hard rain' is raw and indispensable, 'Budokan' features some bizarre rearrangements of old songs which some like and some dont (I like them but the European tour shows later that year are far better than these Tokyo gigs), 'Real Live' is nothing special for the most part, 'Dylan and the Dead' is far from the highpoint of either act's careers and best forgotten, and "MTV Unplugged" is pretty much what youd expect from such a formula-driven TV event.
[Edited by Gazza]

Hey, I think I just said most of that in 3 sentences!! But Bucky, he is the ultimate authority on BD!
5th July 2006 06:41 PM
56DeSoto L&T and TOOM are both fantastic, good thing you have them already. Beyond that, I'd put my votes behind Oh Mercy and then the two traditional stripped down albums, Good As I Been to You and World Gone Wrong. There are a handful of good songs on Under the Red Sky, but just as many that I fast forward over. "Wiggle, Wiggle," for example, is an unending source of jokes.

The other one to put on the list is Modern Times...I'll be picking that one up on its first day out in August!
5th July 2006 10:14 PM
pdog
quote:
jb wrote:

I'm not sure what these means, but it can't be good.
6th July 2006 02:36 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
pdog wrote:

I'm not sure what these means, but it can't be good.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)