ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Stadio Giuseppe Meazza, Sani Siro, Milan - 11st July 2006
© Dave Hogan with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: In the history of the world... Return to archive
4th July 2006 04:19 AM
The_Worst Has anyone entertained more people in person than the Rolling Stones? Think about it for a second...Touring in a band reaches thousands of people daily & no one has toured longer & in front of more people than the Stones. Therefore, more people have seen the Stones in person for entertainment in person than any other artist/actor etc. EVER!!!

Granted, I am more than slightly intoxicated at this point in the evening but I can't come up with any answer besides the Stones!!! Can anyone else?!?!
4th July 2006 04:21 AM
Altamont Jasmine St. Claire?
4th July 2006 04:24 AM
FotiniD Jesus? He did his fair share of touring and he never cancelled baby...
[Edited by FotiniD]
4th July 2006 04:38 AM
The_Worst IN PERSON GUYS!!! IN PERSON!!!
4th July 2006 07:18 AM
glencar I can't think of anyone else who has done as much for humanity's entertainment!
4th July 2006 07:41 AM
FrankiePeppers The Grateful Dead toured non-stop for about 25 years, it would probably be them. If your key word is "entertaning", then it would be the Stones
4th July 2006 08:51 AM
Gazza This summer will see the Stones perform their 2,000th concert. Originally it would have been the Athens show, but with the schedule changes by my calculations its the one in El Eljido in August, I'd need to check. Believe it or not, their 1,000th show took place as long ago as 1967...

I would guess that the Grateful Dead, even by the time of Jerry Garcia's death 11 years ago, would have played more concerts, although as I'm not too well versed in the band's history, I couldnt be sure.

Bob Dylan's 'Never Ending Tour', which began in June 1988 must be up to at least 1,800 shows by now. Even though he didnt tour between 1966 and 1974, his total number of shows must be around 2,500.

BB King must surely have played more shows than anyone. He's winding down his tour schedule now as he's in his early 80's but until recently he was playing 200-300 shows per year

I would imagine though that the Stones have played to more people than any else.
4th July 2006 08:55 AM
Gazza
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Jesus? He did his fair share of touring and he never cancelled baby...
[Edited by FotiniD]

Not true. The summer tour in AD33 was cancelled due to an unforeseen incident which took place around Easter (no palm trees were involved)

He made a brief return to the performing arena 3 days later, but despite hopes that the postponed gigs would take place at a future date, no further dates were re-scheduled
4th July 2006 08:56 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:
This summer will see the Stones perform their 2,000th concert. Originally it would have been the Athens show, but with the schedule changes by my calculations its the one in El Eljido in August, I'd need to check. Believe it or not, their 1,000th show took place as long ago as 1967...

I would guess that the Grateful Dead, even by the time of Jerry Garcia's death 11 years ago, would have played more concerts, although as I'm not too well versed in the band's history, I couldnt be sure.

Bob Dylan's 'Never Ending Tour', which began in June 1988 must be up to at least 1,800 shows by now. Even though he didnt tour between 1966 and 1974, his total number of shows must be around 2,500.

BB King must surely have played more shows than anyone. He's winding down his tour schedule now as he's in his early 80's but until recently he was playing 200-300 shows per year

I would imagine though that the Stones have played to more people than any else.

Ah come on, Gary....I want exact numbers!!! LMAO!!!
[Edited by PartyDoll MEG]
4th July 2006 09:00 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Not true. The summer tour in AD33 was cancelled due to an unforeseen incident which took place around Easter (no palm trees were involved)

He made a brief return to the performing arena 3 days later, but despite hopes that the postponed gigs would take place at a future date, no further dates were re-scheduled

LOL, true enough, yeah... There must have been commemorative T-shirts though, exclusively for fan club members only!

Oh, and I had forgotten the fact we were gonna be number 2000... Makes the cancellation even sadder.
4th July 2006 09:16 AM
corgi37 The Stones must have surely played to more people than any one on the planet. Dylan - sure, but he plays to much smaller crowds. The Dead? Mainly in the U.S. only.

I aint talking concerts - i'm talking numbers. Shows like Hyde Park, Altamont & Rio help the figures too!

Though, i think maybe the last Pope "played" to so many people, he might have been close. Might even be in front. The old git. What a crap show he put on! Didnt even move half the time. Move? shit, he wasnt even AWAKE! hhahha

P.S. If i offended any Catholics....

...Fuck ya's! Mackeral slappers.
4th July 2006 09:34 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gazza wrote:

A reunion tour is in the works...
4th July 2006 10:13 AM
Gazza
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

A reunion tour is in the works...

Bloody Canadians! You always get the pre-tour gossip! I suppose Cohl is the promoter, too!

What have you heard??
Please post dates and venues here, thank you!
4th July 2006 10:47 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Bloody Canadians! You always get the pre-tour gossip! I suppose Cohl is the promoter, too!

What have you heard??
Please post dates and venues here, thank you!

Rehearsals have included covers of Dylan's "Are You Ready" and the Doobies' "Jesus Is Just Alright" among others.

I hear the elimination of scalper tickets is guaranteed.

Rumour has it he's rehearsing in Toronto as local media have released photos of him riding a bicycle through the streets of Toronto...
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
4th July 2006 11:10 AM
Gazza
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Rumour has it he's rehearsing in Toronto as local media have released photos of him riding a bicycle through the streets of Toronto...

True, dat!
4th July 2006 01:42 PM
MrPleasant
4th July 2006 01:47 PM
The_Worst corgi37,

You hit the nail on the head...While Dylan & possibly the Dead have played more shows, many of them are to much smaller crowds than the Stones. I'm sure there are 100's of Stones shows that were performed to crowds in excess of 40,000 people. The average size of the venue on Dylans' upcoming tour is probably around 6,000 (Maybe even less). Therefore, Dylan has to do 7 shows to entertain the # of people the Stones do in one night!!!

I think if you added up the total attendence figures for ever Stones concert they would come out ahead of anyone else!!!
4th July 2006 01:51 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
The_Worst wrote:
Has anyone entertained more people in person than the Rolling Stones?

Yes, but right now he's on detention.
[Edited by MrPleasant]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)