ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Stadio Giuseppe Meazza, Sani Siro, Milan - 11st July 2006
© Dave Hogan with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones, The Who, Aerosmith in Halifax ? Return to archive Page: 1 2
1st July 2006 09:39 PM
Ten Thousand Motels AEROSMITH To Join Forces With ROLLING STONES, WHO For Halifax Concert? - July 1, 2006
blabbermouth.net

According to HalifaxLive.com, Halifax Regional council is expected to announce on Tuesday, July 4 the signing of a deal with aging rockers the ROLLING STONES that will culminate in a major outdoor concert in Halifax this coming fall. Also slated to perform are AEROSMITH and THE WHO.

On the heels of the report leaked today by a local news service, concerned citizens already armed with the knowledge that no city has ever shown a profit from STONES' concerts, are already raising doubts that Halifax can afford to host what is being touted as a "major concert." With preliminary projections of well over $100,000 in security and other basic but necessary services alone, the people of Halifax will soon be demanding and rightly so an indepth accounting of the full cost of such a venture including concerns that taxpayers could be facing yet another property tax hike.

Rolling Stones Coming to Halifax - Another Financial Beast of Burden
Written by Staff
Saturday, 01 July 2006
halifaxlive.com

Halifax Regional council is expected to announce on Tuesday July 4 the signing of a deal with aging rockers the Rolling Stones that will culminate in a major outdoor concert in Halifax this coming fall. Also slated to perform are Aerosmith and The Who.

On the heels of the report leaked today by a local news service, concerned citizens already armed with the knowledge that no city has ever shown a profit from Stones' concerts, are already raising doubts that Halifax can afford to host what is being touted as a "major concert". With preliminary projections of well over $100,000 in security and other basic but necessary services alone, the people of Halifax will soon be demanding and rightly so an indepth accounting of the full cost of such a venture including concerns that taxpayers could be facing yet another property tax hike.

Early projections by financial experts independent of the Stones Committee are warning that Halifax could be in the final analysis presented with a bill that exceeds $20 million. They point out Moncton, NB's 2005 Stones concert that drew 80,000 fans buying $100 tickets and the subsequent announcement that the city of Moncton suffered financial loses that would be passed on to the taxpayers of that city. Stones' concert opponents are cautioning that Halifax could very well be reaching for something that is way beyond their means.

Unidentified sources reveal that the province is considering the possibility of setting aside an undisclosed amount of money in an effort to assist the city with the costs but the province has yet to confirm the rumour.

Another contentious issue for many is the secrecy in which Halifax Regional council have conducted their negotiations in regards to the upcoming concert. Although rumours have been circulating for months on the possibility of the Stones playing in this city, council have remained silent and with a report of yet another "in-camera council session" slated for this coming Tuesday, doubts are bound to surface concerning council's decision to go ahead with such a costly venture without public consultations or feasibility studies.

Also of major concern will be the lack of availibility of hotel accommodations in late September. The Stones concert is scheduled to take place the same weekend as the highly anticipated NHL exhibition games between the Boston Bruins and the New York Islanders on Saturday the 23rd and the Toronto Maple Leafs versus the Ottawa Senators on the 24th. With hockey fans coming into the city from far and wide hotel rooms will be at a premium. Armed with that knowledge can Halifax afford to fund a brand new hotel complex in anticipation of a sold-out concert venue?

The upcoming Stones concert is eerily similar to another controversial issue plaguing the city - Halifax's bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games. Opponents to Halifax hosting the international event have become increasingly vocal over the last several months and leading the pack, so to speak is a vociferous local named Bruce DeVenne who in the past has called for a province-wide plebiscite in deciding whether Halifax should host the Games which according to DeVenne will be way too expensive in a province that is already billions of dollars in the red.

Opponents to the Stones concert will be approaching Halifax Regional council and Mayor Peter Kelly to demand a plebiscite on whether or not the taxpayers are ready yet again to fund and support yet another venture that in all likelihood will end up way too expensive for the simple folk of this province.

In the words of Bruce DeVenne himself, the self-proclaimed defender of quaintness and the status quo, "We are a small city, we have nothing to start with, our committee is totally inept, selling the hype with no facts, our province is in debt to the tune $12,600 for every man woman and child for a total of over $12,000,000,000. Same old story lots of hype no facts. Halifax tax payers being treated like mushrooms kept in [the] dark and fed manure."

Will the Rolling Stones concert be the next chapter in "the same old story"?
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
1st July 2006 09:51 PM
Dan Aerosmith is already playing a gig in Camden,NJ on the same day.
3rd July 2006 11:02 AM
jb
quote:
Dan wrote:
Aerosmith is already playing a gig in Camden,NJ on the same day.

Good news!!!!
3rd July 2006 11:07 AM
Gazza I find it hard to believe that The Who would feel the need to be a support act for anyone

Their first ever truly 'world' tour, they'll easily fill arenas on their own, they'll have a new album to push - and they'd be happy to be a Rolling Stones support act, playing a shortened set with all the technical limitations that go with it?

Makes no sense

Additionally, after watching the Who at Hyde Park last night, in all honesty I dont think the Stones would be too keen on following them in that form.
3rd July 2006 11:09 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I find it hard to believe that The Who would feel the need to be a support act for anyone

Their first ever truly 'world' tour, they'll easily fill arenas on their own, they'll have a new album to push - and they'd be happy to be a Rolling Stones support act, playing a shortened set with all the technical limitations that go with it?

Makes no sense

Additionally, after watching the Who at Hyde Park last night, in all honesty I dont think the Stones would be too keen on following them in that form.

Ageed...WHo have always upstaged Stones...they can't fill up areans however...it major markets they will do OK, but elsewhere, very average attendance 8-10k...
3rd July 2006 11:18 AM
Gazza true - their drawing power in recent years has diminished somewhat, but that hasnt been helped by the fact theyve been even more a nostalgia act than the Stones have been in recent years

A new album, great reviews of the new shows, decent ticket pricing and that showstopping performance at Live8 last summer should hopefully raise their stock a bit.
3rd July 2006 12:03 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
true - their drawing power in recent years has diminished somewhat, but that hasnt been helped by the fact theyve been even more a nostalgia act than the Stones have been in recent years

A new album, great reviews of the new shows, decent ticket pricing and that showstopping performance at Live8 last summer should hopefully raise their stock a bit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/07/03/nyank03.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/07/03/ixuknews.html
3rd July 2006 12:29 PM
Dan The Who co-headlined 2 shows with Aerosmith in 2004 going on first one night. As long as they are paid their usual fee it shouldn't be a problem. I am sure they may have technical specifications in their contract preventing volume limitations. I think Metallica played full volume last year. Also I have been to enough festivals to know that 2nd billing is a much better slot than headliner.
3rd July 2006 12:30 PM
jb This would be embarrassing to us...
3rd July 2006 12:35 PM
Dan
quote:
jb wrote:
This would be embarrassing to us...

Who is "us?" To me, having 2 or even 3 top tier acts playing the same show would justify the ticket price. I couldn't imagine being in the parking lot waiting out the openers watching the prices drop.
3rd July 2006 12:38 PM
jb I would be embarrassed.
3rd July 2006 12:42 PM
glencar I say they should go for it. This is supposed to be a festival show more than an opening act thing. Besides, who the hell will see this up in Halifax. Even if the Who does manage to show up the Stones(highly doubtful giving the state of Roggie's voice) no one will know.
3rd July 2006 12:44 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
I say they should go for it. This is supposed to be a festival show more than an opening act thing. Besides, who the hell will see this up in Halifax. Even if the Who does manage to show up the Stones(highly doubtful giving the state of Roggie's voice) no one will know.

Do I need a passport to go?
3rd July 2006 12:47 PM
glencar Not to go there but maybe to get back in the USA. Unless you want to stay in Canada along with all those draft dodgers!
3rd July 2006 12:56 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Not to go there but maybe to get back in the USA. Unless you want to stay in Canada along with all those draft dodgers!

My passport just expired!
3rd July 2006 12:57 PM
glencar Mine has another 5 years. Pre-9/11, I lost it twice. Very uncareful!
3rd July 2006 01:03 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Mine has another 5 years. Pre-9/11, I lost it twice. Very uncareful!

I will send in to renew for next summer euro vacation.......>
3rd July 2006 01:05 PM
glencar So, no London shows? I'm crying already.
3rd July 2006 01:06 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
So, no London shows? I'm crying already.

LOL...We warned against this months ago..and we were right. I trust you got your refund?
3rd July 2006 01:07 PM
Joey " Additionally, after watching the Who at Hyde Park last night, in all honesty I dont think the Stones would be too keen on following them in that form. "

I would like to nuzzle you .

3rd July 2006 01:08 PM
glencar
quote:
jb wrote:

LOL...We warned against this months ago..and we were right. I trust you got your refund?

Nope, I'm committed! See: Flea.
3rd July 2006 01:17 PM
glencar Wow, I'd thought he was a shoe salesman!
4th July 2006 11:26 AM
mickmask
quote:
glencar wrote:
I say they should go for it. This is supposed to be a festival show more than an opening act thing. Besides, who the hell will see this up in Halifax.

Everyone!...after I film it........
4th July 2006 11:43 AM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
I say they should go for it. This is supposed to be a festival show more than an opening act thing. Besides, who the hell will see this up in Halifax. Even if the Who does manage to show up the Stones(highly doubtful giving the state of Roggie's voice) no one will know.

Daltrey's pipes were pretty gone up to about three years ago, but with the help of some hypnosis he's shown quite a return to form in the last couple of years, so I'd say he'd give Mick a run for his money as a vocalist, if not as a performer

Guitar wise, however - its no contest. Pete is in the form of his life.
4th July 2006 01:40 PM
gimmekeef Halifax City Council has a private meeting slated today(likely tonight).According to many Canadian news outlets its a done deal.Never been really rumored about other bands and I'm betting its Stones only with a couple Canuck bands to open...
4th July 2006 01:45 PM
MrPleasant

Say CHEESE!
[Edited by MrPleasant]
4th July 2006 02:10 PM
Taptrick
Someone said the Who have always upstaged the Stones. And I have heard Mick and the Boys were concerned about Rock N' Roll Circus because of the strength of The Who's performance. I, however, much preferred The Stones on RRC. It's just perspective. I thought The Stones sounded raw and rooted in blues and rock. The Who thing was too British for my taste. I can't make it through watching without skipping over the Who part. I prefer the more rock oriented Who material.

4th July 2006 03:37 PM
glencar Agree 100%!
4th July 2006 05:39 PM
Gazza
quote:
Taptrick wrote:

Someone said the Who have always upstaged the Stones. And I have heard Mick and the Boys were concerned about Rock N' Roll Circus because of the strength of The Who's performance. I, however, much preferred The Stones on RRC. It's just perspective. I thought The Stones sounded raw and rooted in blues and rock. The Who thing was too British for my taste. I can't make it through watching without skipping over the Who part. I prefer the more rock oriented Who material.

it was Josh - but in fairness its the only time I can think of that theyve shared a bill. Plus the Who only did one song, so I think the "upstaged" thing is a bit of a stretch.
4th July 2006 05:49 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

but in fairness its the only time I can think of that theyve shared a bill.

There is a reason for that ....

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)